Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
I think you're missing the point. Macbook Air is simply too big. It doesn't help that it's thin and sexy as hell. The whole point with the ultra-portable-market is to make the machines small but the Air has the exact same footprint as the regular Macbook. Compared to that Sony-machine it actually have a 35% larger footprint(!) It's not about keyboard-size, screen-size or technology - heck I though Apple new!

I sincerely fear that Apple may have created their second Cube…

You forgot the mac mini. :D

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I love the MBA..... Gut specs and all. I don't want anything less than a 13" screen. My only issue is the thick bezel and empty space left & right of the keyboard. If the bezel were thin - then we'd have that smaller footprint.

People who've seen this say the display is very nice. I understand it's optical glass like the iPhone? Then perhaps they needed to retain this wide bezel/frame for strength. I assume that's why it's there. Clearly from the pics/videos, the screen section is SUPER thin. When I see it being opened, the base stays firmly on the table without using another hand to hold it down. It also looks like it's not inclined to tip over (like my husbands POS Toshiba R500). So I get the logic of the bezel, but in my perfect world, wish it was smaller which would've shaved .5-1" off the width.

I agree. I'd like a more compact (and less hobbled in terms of FW) design.

I'm happy to wait for the new MBPs (in 6 months - Montevina). I think they might sport a similar, but less extreme, design.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Clearly the MBA is not suited to your needs. Luckily for you they make two other models to choose from :)

In person I think it's probably a lot more impressive. I agree.

The cost is pretty high too (it's a small LV based machine - it was never gonna be EEEPC cheap) but it's the lack of FW (odd strategic choice too, does this reveal something about Apple's FW plans - hope not) that puts me off.

So, now on this forum, we have people moaning about people moaning. Is my post moaning about people moaning who are moaning about the MBA? :D

It's a nice design statement, it won't set the world alight in sales but it's a niche product. Can't we leave it there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.