Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Is it just me, or does it look like Tim Cook is starting to have some really weird issues with what he's doing with his hands during recent Keynotes?
Do you think it's a medical condition, it's him deciding to act in this way, or he's being directed by some "body coach" to act in this manner.
As it's really becoming quite weird and bizarre now.
The almost guaranteed every single time he says something, hands in the Praying position.
Followed by sweeping motions.

He's always done this just a little bit, but it's got way out of control now. I find myself seeing the camera going back to Tim, and waiting for the praying gesture to happen, which is does almost instantly.

The event this Tuesday was crazy in this regard, as if he simply can't stop it, and it's not looking like he's got a problem.
As I said, perhaps it's someone giving him coaching, but it's way over the top.

I did wonder if this pose started off, as someone trying to come over as honest and genuine, and, as I said above, it used to be fine, but it's like he simply can't stop doing it constantly now.

da3d971d7d45e5567a5520aa6079c6ce.png

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
I just think its the way he is. He might have some body coach though as these events go out to millions.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
It looks like he's wai-ing (traditional Thai greeting gesture)

As I said, it used to be fine. A bit strange perhaps for English viewers, but he just did it now and again and was barely noticeable.
This hand now turned into he constantly doing it as it's he simply can't stop himself.
It's as if he simply does not know what to do with his hands, and he's developed this habit that's gone too far.

Unless, as I say it's some body language coach who thought it looked cool, and is simply telling him to do it all the time now as they think the audience love it.
I'm now finding it really distracting as I'm watching his weird hand movements and taking my focus away from what's being said.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
No one else in the entire presentation does this.....
Wonder why he can't stop clutching he hands together in front of him and doing this?

9097b3dbd5518727ab53e3e0c1c0b774.png

b058fd41f45c70f708f09f0c672449ce.png

96d78e288fbd85edade7ef0bb2c6fcae.png

69b2d9eb3f0759f23540886bcfed5f8e.png

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You’re over-reading into this. He has Always been this way. I’ve been following Tim Cook since his leadership role back when he superseded Steve Jobs (Keynotes, media interviews, ect) and he’s always had mannerisms where uses his hands in a very pronounced way. Even when he’s sitting for an interview, he will constantly lean in and arches his back when he’s replying to someone, especially when it’s a really passionate topic for him like trade wars with China, investor notes, stockmarket fluctuation, the companies financial standing.

Sometimes when we are in front of an audience, we tend to present ourselves differently than we normally would in a relaxed state. I’ve given multiple presentations to law-enforcement agencies with training and seminars, and I see myself doing things I normally wouldn’t. I think it’s almost like a switch that you ‘turn on and off’ to exhibit a certain style of how you present yourself.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
^ Yes, I will agree with you, he's always had these mannerisms to a point.
Perhaps it's my imagination, but it seems like it's getting more pronounced recently to the point of being rather weird.
No problem with it, but I will admit, if I was coaching him, I'd try and get him to tone it down.
I did wonder if it's some OCD type thing where you start repeating things and find it really hard to break the habit.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Pretty sure Steve did this too.

Yes, he did, and nothing wrong with it.
We can all use a whole variety of mannerisms whilst we get our point across to an audience.
As you said, Steve did it, but only as a small part of a whole range of presentation gestures.

fontman

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Costa mesa
Is it just me, or does it look like Tim Cook is starting to have some really weird issues with what he's doing with his hands during recent Keynotes?
Do you think it's a medical condition, it's him deciding to act in this way, or he's being directed by some "body coach" to act in this manner.
As it's really becoming quite weird and bizarre now.
The almost guaranteed every single time he says something, hands in the Praying position.

He's always done this just a little bit, but it's got way out of control now. I find myself seeing the camera going back to Tim, and waiting for the praying gesture to happen, which is does almost instantly.

The event this Tuesday was crazy in this regard, as if he simply can't stop it, and it's not looking like he's got a problem.
As I said, perhaps it's someone giving him coaching, but it's way over the top.

I did wonder if this pose started off, as someone trying to come over as honest and genuine, and, as I said above, it used to be fine, but it's like he simply can't stop doing it constantly now.

da3d971d7d45e5567a5520aa6079c6ce.png

fontman

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Costa mesa
No this is something that Steve Jobs did as well and a lot of tech people do and it's something that is taught intentionally it is body language used to projected image of a person that has nothing to do with an illness or anything like that but it's carrying forward a mannerism that Steve Jobs used to do as well as many other tech people. Hand gestures in general can tell a lot about a person how they've been coached or what type of person they are hand gestures usually promote some type of emphasis on the conversation.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area

Yep, I kept waiting for it & seeing it over and over too. It stood out bc the only time I’ve ever seen anyone do that is when they’re actually praying (which would be pretty weird while talking about phones in a keynote), or gesturing desperately hoping something doesn't go wrong, so it was kind of unsettling. OR, if Tims a bhuddist (which he might be for all I know), then he may have picked it up as a common gesture too, so... ?

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
Everyone has their own way of public speaking and presentation, I'm sure this is not a habit he emulates in his day-to-day. It's probably just the "style" he's grown to be comfortable with.

It is completely plausible though that he and rest of the executives have used body coaches, but like another user pointed out above, he's been doing the same thing more or less for quite some time already.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
He does seem to be doing it more than in the past. I thought he did not look well health wise in the presentation. Pressure getting to him or something else?

yochanan77

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2016
Everyone has their own way of public speaking and presentation, I'm sure this is not a habit he emulates in his day-to-day. It's probably just the "style" he's grown to be comfortable with.

It is completely plausible though that he and rest of the executives have used body coaches, but like another user pointed out above, he's been doing the same thing more or less for quite some time already.
Nope. It’s intentional.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Wonder if he is naturally awkward without practice on a presentation, and it is a comfort thing. Because I am like that.

Chafka

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
Between the way he holds his hands and the way he speaks it becomes almost like a plead. Sort of like an invitation to hear him out. Maybe a prayer that you will see the good in what they are brining to the table (yeah, that might be a stretch, but....). I think it makes you lower your defenses (unless you notice and it bothers you) and actually listen - it is definitely less threatening and somewhat (somewhat) less distracting than handwaving. Just a thought - and a feeling I get when going back and thinking about it - having not even noticed it until it was Brought up.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Wonder if he is naturally awkward without practice on a presentation, and it is a comfort thing. Because I am like that.

He has had so many speaking engagements in the past, not just for keynotes, but business presentations, college graduation ceremonial speeches, investor seminars, etc. I don’t think it has anything to do with ‘naturally awkward‘, it’s just a mannerism of direction of style how he presents himself.

On a side note:

How awkward that we’re talking about Tim Cooks hand movements? Next thread, will probably discuss something like, ‘why does Cook part his hair to the right instead of the left.‘😁

Reactions: AngerDanger

planteater

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2020
He’s using secret Mason hand signs. The notch is the all seeing eye. The apps represent the checkered floor.

Everything is good though. Just watch out if he starts speaking in tongues.

Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
How awkward that we’re talking about Tim Cooks hand movements? Next thread, will probably discuss something like, ‘why does Cook part his hair to the right instead of the left.‘😁
On an unrelated note, I've never seen an italic emoji before. 🤯

OH MAN YOU CAN MAKE THEM BOLD and it's barely noticeable

Normal vs. bold: 🧑‍🦽🧑‍🦽

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.