Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulare67x

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2023
seems to me to be problem with ventura...so far for me unresolvable ..2017 iMac....ran ok on my other older iMac catalina and mbp....cannot get it up on iMac ventura .....apples deal....but user debug deal ..the usual same ole samo from apple roll it out let the masses test it.

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
Not sure if related, but I've been having verification issues. The first one forced me to erase and re-backup, now I've hit a second one just a couple of weeks later.

kirbyrun

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2009
Still having the issue where the Time Machine menu bar icon stops updating and then eventually Time Machine stops working.

Since there is no fix from Apple so far, I figured I would at least relieve myself of the annoyance of checking multiple times a day to see if Time Machine is still working.

I wrote a shortcut that checks every time I wake my Mac to see if there is a backup on my backup volume from the current day. If so, nothing happens. If no, then I get an alert that I need to reboot my Mac to get things working again.

It's not perfect because I could theoretically lose an entire day's worth of backing up, or get a false alert if it's so early in the morning that my system hasn't backed up yet. But so far, it's given me a bit of peace of mind.

The shortcut is here, if anyone would like to use it: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/072f835e368e4f3f87d52f09fa5e13ac

Reactions: osplo

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I could theoretically lose an entire day's worth of backing up,

If TM is struggling it could mean that might be in risk of totally failing, which is not uncommon. Make sure you have a 3-2-1 backup strategy in place with only 1 of the backups being TM.

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
Still having the issue where the Time Machine menu bar icon stops updating and then eventually Time Machine stops working.

I had some (rare) issues in the past with TM, and the culprit was either a defective cable or a failing disk that got disconnected randomly. Not saying that it could be your case, just sharing my experience.

kirbyrun

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2009
I had some (rare) issues in the past with TM, and the culprit was either a defective cable or a failing disk that got disconnected randomly. Not saying that it could be your case, just sharing my experience.
It’s a brand-new disk. I could try a different cable, I guess, but the issue has been present for two different disks connected over two different ports, which is what leads me to think it’s a Ventura issue.

kirbyrun

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2009
If TM is struggling it could mean that might be in risk of totally failing, which is not uncommon. Make sure you have a 3-2-1 backup strategy in place with only 1 of the backups being TM.
I also use Backblaze.

upritbass

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Vegas!
Just went from a 2018 Mini MacOS 12 to a Studio Max MacOS 13. TM no longer backs up the external drives. *sigh*

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
It’s a brand-new disk. I could try a different cable, I guess, but the issue has been present for two different disks connected over two different ports, which is what leads me to think it’s a Ventura issue.

If I were you I'd try a new cable, the best I could find. And I'd cross my fingers, too. Good luck!

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I gave up on Time Machine ages ago as I’ve never found it to be reliable (particularly over a LAN connection) and now stick to more reliable alternatives

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Don't leave us hanging! Which alternatives do you use?
I use Synology Active backup for business which snapshots the entire machine once an hour to my Synology NAS (so very similar to Time Machine but only works if you have a Synology NAS). I also use GoodSync for critical files so I have a real-time copy elsewhere and have used Duplicati in the last although I don’t use it any more

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
Maybe I am just lucky but TM proved 100% reliable for me during decades.

The only problem I had was very slow backups, back in... Leopard maybe? Solved with a point release.

kirbyrun

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2009
Maybe I am just lucky but TM proved 100% reliable for me during decades.

The only problem I had was very slow backups, back in... Leopard maybe? Solved with a point release.
I've had zero issues with Time Machine from the day it was rolled out until the day I upgraded to Ventura. Once I was on Ventura, though, 😡😡

• Sad

kirbyrun

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2009
I've had zero issues with Time Machine from the day it was rolled out until the day I upgraded to Ventura. Once I was on Ventura, though, 😡😡
Quoting myself here just to bump this topic and report that I've been on 14.1 for a few days now and the Time Machine menu bar icon is updating appropriately thus far! Yay!

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I just updated to Ventura yesterday (slow to adopt to avoid issues and bugs). Time Machine has been flawless for years on this machine, but since installing Ventura yesterday (13.6.3), it won't backup at all. I have a very simple setup of a Time Capsule connected to our modem/router.

Has anyone come up with a fix?

Thanks.

kirbyrun

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2009
I just updated to Ventura yesterday (slow to adopt to avoid issues and bugs). Time Machine has been flawless for years on this machine, but since installing Ventura yesterday (13.6.3), it won't backup at all. I have a very simple setup of a Time Capsule connected to our modem/router.

Has anyone come up with a fix?

Thanks.
The only fix I found was updating to Sonoma. Since I did, I've had nothing but smooth sailing with Time Machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.