Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
I’ve been waiting years for Apple to introduce an unfoldable iPhone that unfolds into an iPad mini.

Last year, I got really excited about the future of foldables when the Honor Magic V2 released. I was completely blown away by how slim they were able to make it when folded and still retain decent battery life.

Then the One+ Open released and it got me ready to pull the trigger and switch back to Android.

I love the form factor and the cameras seem surprisingly great compared to other foldables.

There were really only two things stopping me from purchasing one: lack of wireless charging and having to go from iOS to Android.

Now that we are a month out from Apple’s 2024 iPhone event, it’s starting to look like there won’t be a foldable iPhone yet again.

I know I’m probably in the minority when it comes to wanting a foldable iPhone, but I’m seriously tired of waiting.

If the next version of the One+ Open gets Qi2 support, I’m going to finally pull the trigger and make the switch.

Last edited:

Reverend Benny

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I’ve been waiting years for Apple to introduce an unfoldable iPhone.

Last year, I got really excited about the future of foldables when the Honor Magic V2 released. I was completely blown away by how slim they were able to make it when folded and still retain decent battery life.

Then the One+ Open released and it got me ready to pull the trigger and switch back to Android.

I love the form factor and the cameras seem surprisingly great compared to other foldables.

There were really only two things stopping me from purchasing one: lack of wireless charging and having to go from iOS to Android.

Now that we are a month out from Apple’s 2024 iPhone event, it’s starting to look like there won’t be a foldable iPhone yet again.

I know I’m probably in the minority when it comes to wanting a foldable iPhone, but I’m seriously tired of waiting.

If the next version of the One+ Open gets Qi2 support, I’m going to finally pull the trigger and make the switch.
Hmmm, aren't all iphones unfoldable? ;)

But on a more serious note, I get that its a typo.
I might be interested but the Samsung phones i've tested still feel a bit beta. But I did like the MS Surface duo phone concept.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I thought the fictitious folding phone shown in the sci-fi movie "Her" was pretty cool. Much in the style of an old cigarette case. But, frankly, I would never buy such a phone. The current form factor for me with the phone placed in my shirt pocket is just fine.

Reactions: KeithBN

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

I am finding the more I engage with users who desire foldable phones, that you guys are people who use their phones as substitute computers/media devices/game machines, etc. Basically, your entire computing/digital life is on your device. Most of you seem to use public transport (trains/subway/bus) and the idea of being able to unfold your phone to have a bigger screen to do something like you'd do on an iPad is desirable. You guys don't want to carry around both an iPhone and an iPad, or you don't have the space to do that.

Am I about right here?

I bring it up because once you have a different type of lifestyle or your need changes, a foldable doesn't seem as desirable. I have no desire for a foldable. I sit in front of several computers every day for hours. One of them has six large monitors attached to it. Reaching over to actually use my phone means taking my hands off keyboard and mouse. There are apps for these sorts of things that my phone does on my computer. So, if picking up my phone to do something I could do best on the Mac right in front of me is a hassle, why then do I need a foldable phone? For the record, my iPad is sitting to my right. Why not use that instead if the task requires a bigger screen?

So, computers themselves are the center of my computing world, not some jack of all trades. And I have no intent to change that.

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
Am I about right here?
Interesting thought process and could be true for others. But in my particular case that isn’t me.

I work 8 hours a day on my 16” MacBook Pro from home doing motion graphics type of content.

When I’m not using my computer, I’m on my iPhone a lot. While I do also have an 12.9” iPad Pro, I find myself preferring to use my iPhone 15 PM much more frequently.

I just love the idea of being able to convert my phone into a mini tablet when needed from an all-in-one type of device.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Apple people will tell you that Apple is often late but they will do things right. The problem is that they're so late people can't wait as life passes them by, and then if/when Apple releases something it's NEVER right. It might improve in later versions, but then the getting it right excuse is obviously nonsense.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Interesting thought process and could be true for others. But in my particular case that isn’t me.

I work 8 hours a day on my 16” MacBook Pro from home doing motion graphics type of content.

When I’m not using my computer, I’m on my iPhone a lot. While I do also have an 12.9” iPad Pro, I find myself preferring to use my iPhone 15 PM much more frequently.

I just love the idea of being able to convert my phone into a mini tablet when needed from an all-in-one type of device.
Interesting, you are a different data point. We are similar though, yet different.

I just see no need to reach over for a device that unfolds…

2024-08-10 14.04.56.jpg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Apple people will tell you that Apple is often late but they will do things right. The problem is that they're so late people can't wait as life passes them by, and then if/when Apple releases something it's NEVER right. It might improve in later versions, but then the getting it right excuse is obviously nonsense.
If Apple is 'so late' to the game, then it's just a passing fad. Perhaps Apple is not 'so late', they just recognize that foldables are such and aren't going to put time and effort in a device that can be bought cheap at the Goodwill or Salvation Army a year later.

Just my opinion.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
If Apple is 'so late' to the game, then it's just a passing fad. Perhaps Apple is not 'so late', they just recognize that foldables are such and aren't going to put time and effort in a device that can be bought cheap at the Goodwill or Salvation Army a year later.

Pick up a Vision Pro cheap at Goodwill next year, you read it here first.

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020

Foldable phones are rubbish and break easy, not what Apple desires.

chanchowancho

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2017
I am finding the more I engage with users who desire foldable phones, that you guys are people who use their phones as substitute computers/media devices/game machines, etc. Basically, your entire computing/digital life is on your device. Most of you seem to use public transport (trains/subway/bus) and the idea of being able to unfold your phone to have a bigger screen to do something like you'd do on an iPad is desirable. You guys don't want to carry around both an iPhone and an iPad, or you don't have the space to do that.

Am I about right here?

I bring it up because once you have a different type of lifestyle or your need changes, a foldable doesn't seem as desirable. I have no desire for a foldable. I sit in front of several computers every day for hours. One of them has six large monitors attached to it. Reaching over to actually use my phone means taking my hands off keyboard and mouse. There are apps for these sorts of things that my phone does on my computer. So, if picking up my phone to do something I could do best on the Mac right in front of me is a hassle, why then do I need a foldable phone? For the record, my iPad is sitting to my right. Why not use that instead if the task requires a bigger screen?

So, computers themselves are the center of my computing world, not some jack of all trades. And I have no intent to change that.
In my experience knowing people who use or want big foldables, they fall into two camps:

People I know who currently own and use big foldables: The few I know are business owners who are relatively mobile - they seem to do a lot of spreadsheet use on the go, checking metrics while at a cafe or overseas etc, but not enough to whip out a fully fledged laptop. They have laptops and tablets and desktop setups, but also want the biggest phone. It helps that these people are not heavily locked into the iOS ecosystem.

People I know who want big foldables (but don't own one yet): Screen nerds! People who just want the best and biggest and most expensive, I know a couple of people who have multiple vertically stacked 49" OLED ultrawides (!) as their primary office computers, and they definitely have said they want a big foldable phone, simply because they want all their devices to have huge screens. They all have big laptops and desktops and tablets too. (None of them have moved to Android foldables yet, because we are all heavily in the iOS ecosystem.)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
People I know who want big foldables (but don't own one yet): Screen nerds! People who just want the best and biggest and most expensive, I know a couple of people who have multiple vertically stacked 49" OLED ultrawides (!) as their primary office computers, and they definitely have said they want a big foldable phone, simply because they want all their devices to have huge screens. They all have big laptops and desktops and tablets too. (None of them have moved to Android foldables yet, because we are all heavily in the iOS ecosystem.)
This is something I don't quite understand. Don't get me wrong, I want my devices with the largest screen(s) possible as well. That's typically why I buy the largest iPhone Apple offers whenever I do upgrade. It's also why I try to get the largest displays my computers can support and until just recently I've always been a 'bigger is better' fan when it comes to TVs. I won't go into why that changed for TVs here.

Anyway, what I do NOT want is a compromise. And with foldables, all I see is compromise. It's the same type of thing as the person why buys an iPhone to get the 'status symbol'. Yet when you start asking questions you find out all they could afford was the base level entry model.

So, yeah…you got a foldable and the largest screen possible. But it's cheap and poorly made, breaks, falls apart and otherwise has other problems or glitches. But it's got the LARGEST screen! Yay…I guess?

🤷‍♂️

Drecca

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
I fall in that first camp. Own a few small businesses - big enough where emergencies are rare but can happen (servers going down is bad), and small enough to not have people around to handle everything.

But I hate carrying bags. I tried the iPad 11 Pro M4 + Magic keyboard, and while it was only 2 pounds, you feel it. Especially in a bag like a sling bag or shoulder bag.

So I have a 13 inch air M3, and a 16 inch M3 pro, since the iPad as the grab and go device didn't work, and if I had to carry 2 pounds of iPad, I'd rather carry 2.7 pounds of a Mac.

But again, I hate carrying bags when I go out - so now I have a 15PM and a Fold 6. One in each pocket. I use the Fold 6 everywhere I sit down at. I don't use the thin screen, it's used only as a portable tablet. To browse, to view metrics, to go on Slack, open up Drive links, a terminal window, etc. My iPhone 15PM is still my main phone (apple ecosystem + reliable), but it can't do any of those things better than the Fold 6 can.

So, it sucks having to carry 2 phones like this, but having a mini-tablet with really good multitasking really is a game changer for me and probably others like me. I know we're in the minority, but a folding iPhone that becomes an iPad Mini would be a dream.

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
I do have the iPhone 15 PM, 12.9” iPad Pro, and the 16” MacBook Pro. There is definitely a part of me that bought them because I wanted to have the biggest screen option possible.

What’s interesting though is that I hardly ever use my 12.9” iPad Pro and I’ve never hooked my 16” MacBook Pro up to external monitors.

I used to have a dedicated desktop setup with multiple monitors. But over time decided to scale all that back to just using a single 16” laptop screen. For me, I prefer the portability of being able to just plop down wherever I want and just start working.

I forget who the manufacturer is but I remember seeing a laptop recently where the keyboard separates from the base to reveal a second/folding screen with a kickstand that allows it to be positioned like two stacked monitors. If Apple were to ever do something like that, I might be interested in giving it a try since it would still allow me to have the portability I desire.

As for why I hardly use my 12.9” iPad Pro, I honestly don’t know. I bought it thinking maybe I would use it to do some digital art with it or even as a secondary monitor but I just never have. I always find myself reaching for my iPhone instead.

There are times when I do wish my iPhone screen was bigger, and that is why something like that One+ Open or the Galaxy Fold appeals to me. And if it wasn’t for me holding out for an iOS based foldable, I would have already made the leap. But again, I’m tired of waiting. If the next version of the Open has Qi2, I’m going to make the switch.

Last edited:

Bruh Bear

Suspended
Jul 16, 2024
I have absolutely zero desire for a foldable iPhone, but there should definitely be an option for those that do. Right now, foldables are still absolutely garbage with that crease in the middle of the screen. I think if Apple does do this, they'll wait until it doesn't look stupid like every other foldable and have found a way to eliminate the crease, as well as better structural integrity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.