Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It is impossible to make everyone happy. I still think the iPhone 5/5s was the highpoint of phone design. If a new iPhone generation came out paying homage to the 5/5s, at least slightly smaller than the base 14/15, no camera bump, flat sides, enough bezel at the top and bottom to hold the phone without touching the screen, I'd be queuing up for one on release day, especially if it were thick enough to have better battery life! Clearly that's not going to happen because that's not the way design is going.

By the time I'm ready for a new phone, they'll have an entirely new design, that'll probably be quite nice, and I'll be happy enough with it. I just hope the 'MAKE IT BIGGER AND THINNER' push is over by then, people who want their iPhones and iPad minis folded in half have them, and phones are trending smaller again. I loved going down in overall size from the 8 Plus to the 14, and hopefully my next phone can be slightly smaller again. I don't think I want to go all the way back down to a 5, in size, but no bigger than a 14!

Sorry for the incoherent rambling. I just got up and haven't had my coffee yet.
I have long agitated for a 5 style phone (Black/Slate) in the Pro Max size. It'll never happen, but it'd be nice.

But you're right, it's impossible to make everyone happy because my ideal size for a phone is somewhere between the size of the Pro Max and the iPad Mini. And that's never going to happen either.

Reactions: Bungaree.Chubbins

Bungaree.Chubbins

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2024
I have long agitated for a 5 style phone (Black/Slate) in the Pro Max size. It'll never happen, but it'd be nice.

But you're right, it's impossible to make everyone happy because my ideal size for a phone is somewhere between the size of the Pro Max and the iPad Mini. And that's never going to happen either.
Ah well, we know what we want is unlikely to happen any time soon, so we dream, and enjoy what we can.

Reactions: eyoungren

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I’m willing to wait, that way when Apple gets around to it, they’ll do it right.
#1 - what good is a phone that opens to a tablet size when very many apps are made strictly for tablets?
#2 - while attending a wake yesterday, someone had pulled out their foldable. Size was nice, but even from eigth feet away I could still see the crease and the little shadow line it creates. No thank you.

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
The newly announced Pixel 9 Pro Fold now has me considering this over the One+ Fold. Especially since it includes wireless charging - although unfortunately it’s not Qi2 😔 maybe I could just add one of those MagSafe stick-on magnets or get a MagSafe case for it 🤔

The only other downside when compared to the One+ Open would be the resolution of the cameras. But I guess I’ll have to wait for someone to make a comparison video to see how significant of a difference it makes between each.

Really hoping Apple surprises us in September with a ‘One More Thing’ iPhone Fold 🤞

Reactions: snipr125

ab2c4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
The newly announced Pixel 9 Pro Fold now has me considering this over the One+ Fold. Especially since it includes wireless charging - although unfortunately it’s not Qi2 😔 maybe I could just add one of those MagSafe stick-on magnets or get a MagSafe case for it 🤔

The only other downside when compared to the One+ Open would be the resolution of the cameras. But I guess I’ll have to wait for someone to make a comparison video to see how significant of a difference it makes between each.

Really hoping Apple surprises us in September with a ‘One More Thing’ iPhone Fold 🤞
I think if you want a folding phone this year it has to be Android. If Apple was going to do it this year we would have heard something about it by now.

Reactions: MrENGLISH

sefdog

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2024
this is a fascinating topic and gets back to the core nuance of all these devices now that they have become so ubiquitous in our lives and our work/play being so flexibility and overlapping. I have used literally most of Apple devices and a number of Android ones. Everyone's context is different so I think there will be a role for all of these devices. In my context (corp guy/consultant/travel every other week), I have a MBAir15 and love it. Perfect balance of screen size and weight. Very portable and I can work from anywhere without feeling weighed down. I also have an iPad but I only find myself using it in space constrained situations - plane, uber, lunch place. But honestly it's so helpful only because of the Magic Keyboard. in other words, it's a mini laptop that I can use as one in those situations. I don't think a foldable would meet the need outright, but it could come close enough for me to choose to reduce a device.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2018
Apple really dropped the ball on foldable phones..they are actually really good
It might sound cynical and overtly profit-minded. But it would be very irresponsible to go out of your way to impress smartphone buyers when they're already buying more than enough of the kind of products you're selling now.

I only see Apple doing a foldable when competitors win massive market shares with foldables or if there's a steep decline in overall iPhone interest and sales.

Hasn't happened yet.

And as great as some of the newest foldable phones are, they're not ready for mainstream while launch prices start at some $1,800.

Reactions: foggygray

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2018
I’m not interested but I will enjoy the multitudes of “The iPhone unfolds in an iPad and I want it to run macOS” threads.
That's actually a really important point about iPad.

A part of Apple's reluctance on foldable smartphones is surely related to how strong iPad sales still are and Apple not wanting to cannibalize iPad sales by creating an iPhone that unfolds to the size of an iPad mini.

Conversely, other brand's tablets don't sell nearly as well and don't have the widespread consumer awareness that iPad has. For Apple's competitors, preserving tablet sales is not a high priority.

Apple has yet to merge any of its product categories (and why would it with sales figures like that?!??).

So, even more unlikely than Apple making a foldable iPhone would be one that lets the user switch between iOS and iPadOS.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I’ve been waiting years for Apple to introduce an unfoldable iPhone that unfolds into an iPad mini.

Last year, I got really excited about the future of foldables when the Honor Magic V2 released. I was completely blown away by how slim they were able to make it when folded and still retain decent battery life.

Then the One+ Open released and it got me ready to pull the trigger and switch back to Android.

I love the form factor and the cameras seem surprisingly great compared to other foldables.

There were really only two things stopping me from purchasing one: lack of wireless charging and having to go from iOS to Android.

Now that we are a month out from Apple’s 2024 iPhone event, it’s starting to look like there won’t be a foldable iPhone yet again.

I know I’m probably in the minority when it comes to wanting a foldable iPhone, but I’m seriously tired of waiting.

If the next version of the One+ Open gets Qi2 support, I’m going to finally pull the trigger and make the switch.
The new Google Pixel 9 Pro Fold may be worthwhile. Hardware wise and even much of the software is very impressive on the Pixel 9 lineup. I am not a fan of Google as a company but damn they have come a long way with their phones. My 15 Pro Max is nice, have little complaints overall, but it feels dates software wise when looking at what the latest Samsung and Pixels can do.

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
The new Google Pixel 9 Pro Fold may be worthwhile. Hardware wise and even much of the software is very impressive on the Pixel 9 lineup. I am not a fan of Google as a company but damn they have come a long way with their phones. My 15 Pro Max is nice, have little complaints overall, but it feels dates software wise when looking at what the latest Samsung and Pixels can do.
I do like the look of the new Pixel 9 Pro Fold and that it has wireless charging. Only drawback for me is that they compromised on the cameras.

I was looking at size comparisons between the iPhone 15 Pro Max, Pixel 9 Pro Fold and the One+ Open. When closed, the One+ Open is much closer to the iPhone 15 PM screen size which is something I would prefer over the P9PF’s slightly larger tablet screen width. I also prefer the camera specs of the One+ Open. Just wish it had wireless charging.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007

Here is my post from March 2019 where I expressed my desire for a folding iPhone. It is something that I have wanted desperately for quite some time now.

The Pixel Fold 9 Pro is the first foldable that is truly worth getting (at least in North America). Both screens IMO are the 'proper' size for a foldable. The lack of Qi2 truly stinks so you would have to investigate cases or if you can add it to a case, etc.

For me personally, leaving the iPhone means leaving iMessage and that is something I truly do not want at this point. I find it invaluable when I'm jumping between my iPhone, iPad, and Macs. (Not sold on any Android iMessage 'solution'.)

There are other factors as well (iOS apps tend to be better, strongly prefer the rectangle face of an Apple Watch, Apple store is right by my house in case I need repairs, etc.)

I also invested in an OLED 11" iPad Pro at launch. Got a cellular model this time and am essentially using it as my 'foldable'. Sure I can't put it in my front pocket but I rely on it heavily at this point and I don't use my iPhone unless I'm going somewhere where the iPad is simply not an option.

If you aren't using your 12.9" iPad Pro then maybe you should sell it and get an 11" model instead. They are far more portable and easier to use in-hand.

And if that still doesn't convince you, then think about making the switch to the Pixel 9 Pro Fold. I do not believe that we will see folding iPhones until 2026.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Here is my post from March 2019 where I expressed my desire for a folding iPhone. It is something that I have wanted desperately for quite some time now.

The Pixel Fold 9 Pro is the first foldable that is truly worth getting (at least in North America). Both screens IMO are the 'proper' size for a foldable. The lack of Qi2 truly stinks so you would have to investigate cases or if you can add it to a case, etc.

For me personally, leaving the iPhone means leaving iMessage and that is something I truly do not want at this point. I find it invaluable when I'm jumping between my iPhone, iPad, and Macs. (Not sold on any Android iMessage 'solution'.)

There are other factors as well (iOS apps tend to be better, strongly prefer the rectangle face of an Apple Watch, Apple store is right by my house in case I need repairs, etc.)

I also invested in an OLED 11" iPad Pro at launch. Got a cellular model this time and am essentially using it as my 'foldable'. Sure I can't put it in my front pocket but I rely on it heavily at this point and I don't use my iPhone unless I'm going somewhere where the iPad is simply not an option.

If you aren't using your 12.9" iPad Pro then maybe you should sell it and get an 11" model instead. They are far more portable and easier to use in-hand.

And if that still doesn't convince you, then think about making the switch to the Pixel 9 Pro Fold. I do not believe that we will see folding iPhones until 2026.
I am actually gonna trade my M1 12.9 iPad Pro for the next iPad Mini. Want an iPad to have the benefits of a tablet/pencil for documents and media, but don't need the size of the 12.9 any more.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
Is is low quality for a VR set (I have yet to examine one)? My major problem with VR/AR glasses is that nobody asked for this. Which is an entirely different thing than making something of poor quality and then iterating it.
Well, it’s not junky/poor quality, if anything it overshoots the market for VR.

I did the Vision Pro demo back in February and was suitably impressed, and I rode on a VR attraction while I was on vacation. Vision Pro was definitely the better experience, just too expensive.

As for folding displays, I’m not too interested. I’m actually trying to cut back on screen time. I bought some actual physical books on vacation (I usually buy ebooks and read them on an e-ink reader) and material and kits for projects. My goal is to reduce the amount of time I spend on YouTube and on my phone in general, both to have a better relationship with boredom and to win back some of my time that usually gets sucked away from me by social media and internet video use. If I were using a tablet for productive stuff, I’d rather that not be the same device as the phone I use. But that’s just me.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
I have so much expectations for Apple, they always seem to make things run the way that it should. I am anticipating a foldable iPhone and I can't wait for what's next to come.

It's a waiting game for me.... painful but still..

TgeekB

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2015
Apple will not be releasing a foldable phone this year. Why would they? Too many issues with them and no real upside.
I am perfectly happy with my iPad Air as my larger device and I don’t have to compromise anything.
Let us know what you decide and how it goes for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.