Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
ok, but why is it crap? are you unhappy with yours? and do you have a source for your claim about 'why it exists'?

it's easy to say 'this is crap', but much more useful to share why you think so...

Hardware wise, the iPad Pro is far superior to a MacBook Air. If you take the iPad Pro and then:
- Remove 120hz display
- Remove mini-LED
- Remove quad-speaker setup
- Remove center stage camera
- Remove touch capabilities
- Remove pencil support
- Add a permanent keyboard + touchpad.

and you got the MacBook Air.

There would be no point for the MacBook Air to exist if Apple didn't put artificial barriers between the iPad Pro and the MacBook Air software wise.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Hardware wise, the iPad Pro is far superior to a MacBook Air. If you take the iPad Pro and then:
- Remove 120hz display
- Remove mini-LED
- Remove quad-speaker setup
- Remove center stage camera
- Remove touch capabilities
- Remove pencil support
- Add a permanent keyboard + touchpad.

and you got the MacBook Air.

There would be no point for the MacBook Air to exist if Apple didn't put artificial barriers between the iPad Pro and the MacBook Air software wise.
i have no idea what you're on about. you could take a car, remove certain parts, until it became a sofa.

apple has, in the present, made it's intentions clear: there's mac OS, and iOS. but try it: get an ipad pro, remove all the things you listed. and let me know how that works out for you...

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
i have no idea what you're on about. you could take a car, remove certain parts, until it became a sofa.

apple has, in the present, made it's intentions clear: there's mac OS, and iOS. but try it: get an ipad pro, remove all the things you listed. and let me know how that works out for you...

Please, I run Windows and Mac OS on my iPad Pro all the time.

Well, I guess you know how it works because that is what a MacBook Air is. Atleast the 14" and 16" MBP have some of the iPad features such as 120hz display and miniLED.

There is no reason why an iPad Pro is not able to run Mac OS natively, besides Apple wanting more $$$$$$$$.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Please, I run Windows and Mac OS on my iPad Pro all the time.

Well, I guess you know how it works because that is what a MacBook Air is. Atleast the 14" and 16" MBP have some of the iPad features such as 120hz display and miniLED.

There is no reason why an iPad Pro is not able to run Mac OS natively, besides Apple wanting more $$$$$$$$.
right, but most people don't do that; they run the OS made for their device.

can you share your source for your statement about why the ipad can't run mac OS? that would help make your point...

it would also be helpful to share what method you use to run windows and mac os on your ipad.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
right, but most people don't do that; they run the OS made for their device.

can you share your source for your statement about why the ipad can't run mac OS? that would help make your point...

Why don't you try install Mac OS on an iPad Pro yourself and let me know if you are succesful in bypassing Apple their security?

And the point is clear, the MacBook Air is pretty bad hardware wise. The only thing that keeps it relevant is that Apple allows it to run Mac OS while denying it for the iPad Pro to maximise their $$$$$.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
you said this, i didn't (i don't own an ipad).

how does this work? what method do you use to do this?

It is quite simple. I can access my 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro and all my NAS drives directly from my iPad Pro no matter where I am in the world.

So the 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro basically acts like a remote server doing all the heavy computing while using the iPad Pro.

I do the same with my PC's.

Also saves me the trouble to install software multiple times on different machines as I only have to install on 1 machine and use it as a remote computing server.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
It is quite simple. I can access my 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro and all my NAS drives directly from my iPad Pro no matter where I am in the world.

So the 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro basically acts like a remote server doing all the heavy computing while using the iPad Pro.

Also saves me the trouble to install software multiple times on a different machines as I only have to install on 1 machine and use it as a remote computing server.
That is indeed simple, but not what you claimed. So yeah there is that. You think remoting into another computer is the same as putting a literal OS on the internal drive? Got it.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere

Also saves me the trouble to install software multiple times on a different machines as I only have to install on 1 machine and use it as a remote computing server.
ok. so, you're not running those OSes on your ipad, but accessing them from the ipad. got it

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
That is indeed simple, but not what you claimed. So yeah there is that. You think remoting into another computer is the same as putting a literal OS on the internal drive? Got it.

What? You don't think the iPad Pro can run Mac OS natively despite running the exact same M1 chip? Hahah.

Really, it's literally Apple blocking this not from a technical reason but for a $$$$$ reason.

Apple don't want their MacBook Air to get killed, like it would have been a long time ago.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
What? You don't think the iPad Pro can run Mac OS natively despite running the exact same M1 chip? Hahah.

Really, it's literally Apple blocking this not from a technical reason but for a $$$$$ reason.

Apple don't want their MacBook Air to get killed, like it would have been a long time ago.
prove any of those statements; what's your source of information?

EDIT: will let it go. people who make things up, then decide what they've said is 'real'... are stuck, and no use arguing...

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
MBA has a cheaper starting price, it costs double for the essential upgrades (16GB RAM, 512G SSD)

Base model or not, the M2 (and M1) Air gets probably double the battery life of most of these competing Windows options + better performance in many scenarios without any fan noise to contend with every time you put it to work.

Even with the higher price tag of the new model, all of the Apple silicon offerings thus far have increased the bang-for-buck and price-to-performance ratio across the entire Mac and MacBook lineup. These new computers are dramatically shaking up the competition and will continue to appeal to more and more Windows users looking for a new computer with each passing day.

And let’s not forget the M1 Air is still available for a great price (as it should be) and it’s no slouch when compared to many of these Dell / HP / Lenovo / Microsoft offerings (and the M2 itself).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.