Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I trade an iPhone X for an XR

• keep the iPhone X

Votes: 152 62.8%
  • Trade for an XR

Votes: 90 37.2%

• Total voters

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Not mad, it's ultimately up to you when it comes to what you are willing to spend and the value a product brings you. I personally prefer the better screens and don't like the bezels, but the XR is a good value as well.

Reactions: Stuey3D

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Well holy crap I’ve just held my finger over the 2nd lens and you are right I can zoom all the way to 10x without the 2nd lens.

The 2x lens seems almost pointless and loosing it on the XR won’t be a big deal. I guess if I was outdoors on a bright day the 2x lens would make the difference but inside it seems to be largely ignored.

That's weird. I just tried this on my X and the 2nd lens comes into play right at 2X zoom. And of course everything beyond that.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
That's weird. I just tried this on my X and the 2nd lens comes into play right at 2X zoom. And of course everything beyond that.
Yes I’ve done it just now outside on a brighter day and the 2x lens does come into play because if I cover it, as soon as I hit 2x it goes black.

It seems to be lower light zoom is all digital on the main lens, whereas outside bright light it’s on both lenses.

Reactions: anthonymoody

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Yes I’ve done it just now outside on a brighter day and the 2x lens does come into play because if I cover it, as soon as I hit 2x it goes black.

It seems to be lower light zoom is all digital on the main lens, whereas outside bright light it’s on both lenses.
I believe the reason given with the 7 plus is the smaller aperture combined with no OIS results in too long an exposure and therefore blurry or overly dark photos. Obviously adding OIS to the second lens wasn't enough to fix the issue with the X...

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
I believe the reason given with the 7 plus is the smaller aperture combined with no OIS results in too long an exposure and therefore blurry or overly dark photos. Obviously adding OIS to the second lens wasn't enough to fix the issue with the X...
You have to wonder why they didn't use the same sensor for both cameras and just change the optics for the zoom, rather than have the 2x lens only being useful in bright conditions.

Reactions: Falhófnir

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
You have to wonder why they didn't use the same sensor for both cameras and just change the optics for the zoom, rather than have the 2x lens only being useful in bright conditions.

Because the telephoto lens requires more light to function optimally.

brianric

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
Hi all.

I currently have an iPhone X but I am seriously considering trading it in for an iPhone XR, am I a mad man?

Please let me know your thoughts below.
I usually upgrade yearly, so I went from a X with 256 GB to a XR with 128 GB. I couldn't accept the Apple Tax on the XS Max with 256 GB and the increase cost of AppleCare. Except for not being able to get an Apple folio case for the XR, the XR will suit me just fine.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
I usually upgrade yearly, so I went from a X with 256 GB to a XR with 128 GB. I couldn't accept the Apple Tax on the XS Max with 256 GB and the increase cost of AppleCare. Except for not being able to get an Apple folio case for the XR, the XR will suit me just fine.
Oh god yes the Apple tax on the Max is insanity, you almost have to wonder if it’s priced so high to drive sales of the XR?

Let’s face it in an ideal world the XR would start at say £650 with the 5.8 XS at £750-800 with the Max starting at £850-900.

At the moment in the UK 3 year contracts are now becoming the norm because of the stupidly high prices Apple & Samsung are now charging, and the problem is these things don’t really last 3 years. On the Android side of things you’ll be lucky to get 2 years worth of software updates let alone 3, and in general the sealed in batteries on these things barely last 2 years let alone 3.
[doublepost=1540639099][/doublepost]
You are mad because iphone x is the better phone.
If you consume media then yes the OLED makes the X a better phone.

However for me the bigger screen, the better battery life, and the better low light and smart HDR camera make the XR the better phone.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Well I've been to the O2 store and seen a XR in person, well my mind is now made up fully. I will be trading to the XR in January.

The screen isn't a deal breaker and you'd have to really be looking at the OLED and LCD together and look hard to see much between them.

Text is lovely and clear on both devices the XR only has a slight blur if you put your face right up to both.
Brightness the XR actually went slightly brighter than my X and on a blank white safari page on both devices I have to admit I prefer the slightly warmer tint of the XR vs the more clinical colder tint of my X (true tone was enabled on both devices and night shift off)

On the Apple demo screensaver the colours were lovely, bright and vibrant, but the screensaver did show the XR's weakness off vs the OLED and that is the blacks had a little IPS glow to them, nothing terrible but obviously not the super deep blacks that OLED is capable of but that was at maximum brightness though and would obviously look a lot better under normal conditions without the screen cranked up to face melting brightness.

The bezels weren't terrible and I don't get why everyone says they are huge, saying that though I do keep my X in a chunky case which probably hides the true difference between the 2 devices, however side by side there wasnt much in it, and considering the fact the XR for me will be in a case I'd say the bezels are not a problem at all unless you are really nitpicking.

I showed the wife the XR (she's a non techy who currently has an X) and she couldn't tell the difference between them. Lets face it its only us hardcore nerds who are going to be the only ones who can really tell the difference between the X/XR/XS devices, non techies will not notice at all and this is exactly why this device will sell like hotcakes especially compared to the XS series and their far higher price tag.

For me the pros of the XR far outweigh the cons and will be a worthwhile upgrade for me.

Last edited:

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Well I’ve done it, today I handed over an iPhone X and was able to upgrade early to an iPhone XR and I am typing this reply on it.

So far so good, I really like it.

It has a reassuring girth to it compared to some of the really thin models (iPhone 6 I’m looking at you) and the screen is really good to my eyes. I’m especially loving the extra screen real estate this thing gives. Plus the bigger size makes it a lot easier to type with my sausage thumbs.

Loosing 3D Touch will take a little getting used to but the only thing I will really miss from 3D Touch is on Google images being able to force touch an image and open the image to get the full quality version (on XR I can hold image to save it to camera roll or copy it to clipboard) The only other things I used 3D Touch for already have a haptic touch equivalent.

I haven’t had a chance to test battery life yet, however I shall see into next week when I’m using it at work, but I don’t doubt it will be better than the X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.