Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Hello,

I have asked this group in the past about locations that I was going to and without missing a beat, you guys and gals have provided some of the best advise around.

I am once again looking at you for some advice, tips, and items not to miss or try when visiting France later this year. We will be in the city for a total of five days, and there are some typical touristy stuff we want to do. So far we are looking at doing the following:

Eiffel Tower
The Catacombs
Louvre Museum (don't know if we will actually go in, but we want to see the glass pyramid for sure)
Notre-Dame
Arc de Triomphe
Moulin Rogue

Again, I know these places are very touristy, but we have never been so they are some of the things we want to see.

If you have any tips or other items that you feel are a must see or places to eat... Want to try the bread and of course the coffee!!!

Thanks in advance!

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Sainte Chappelle. It's near Notre-Dame, but it's simply gorgeous with the curtain walls of stained glass. Absolutely exquisite, and sadly neglected by too many tourists. I assume Notre-Dame is still closed, though, so it may be far more popular now.

For museums, I preferred the Musee d'Orsay and Centre Pompidou, but I gravitate more towards modern art. The Picasso Museum was also worth a visit.

Otherwise we loved wandering around through the various neighborhoods. Definitely go to Marais and get some falafel, for example. I don't know that Moulin Rouge is worth a trip on its own, but Montmarte is also good to wander around in. We found some local restaurants and cafes there that were pretty welcoming and served really good food.

French coffee is traditionally overrated, IMO. Nowhere near the baseline quality of Italy. However, I'm sure third wave coffee culture has caught on in Paris like it has throughout the world, so there must be some good options.

We haven't been to the catacombs or Versailles yet, hopefully next time. If you like cathedrals, a short train ride to Chartres is worth it, and is an excellent substitute for Notre-Dame if it's still closed.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
No car needed or wanted if you are staying in the city. Metro, bus, and trains. Although on our first trip there we did arrange transportation from the airport to our hotel and back, because we’d be tired, and I did not to have to figure that out doing it on our own. You will probably have a full agenda in just downtown, but the train ride to Versailles is worth the trip. The time we went there we were doing Normandy, had a rental car, so stopped on the way.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Hello,

I have asked this group in the past about locations that I was going to and without missing a beat, you guys and gals have provided some of the best advise around.

I am once again looking at you for some advice, tips, and items not to miss or try when visiting France later this year. We will be in the city for a total of five days, and there are some typical touristy stuff we want to do. So far we are looking at doing the following:

Eiffel Tower
The Catacombs
Louvre Museum (don't know if we will actually go in, but we want to see the glass pyramid for sure)
Notre-Dame
Arc de Triomphe
Moulin Rogue

Again, I know these places are very touristy, but we have never been so they are some of the things we want to see.

If you have any tips or other items that you feel are a must see or places to eat... Want to try the bread and of course the coffee!!!

Thanks in advance!
Paris is one of my favourite cities to visit… at least a couple times a year.

Eiffel Tower
Go early to try and beat the queue or just look at it from afar… Beware of the scam artists. Lots of them about. No one wants to be "your friend and give you a bracelet; the petition they want you to sign is a scam…
The best views of the tower are from the Trocadero.

The Catacombs
Wouldn't put it on my list, but chacun a son goût! 🤣

Go in! Go in! Go in!
Especially Fridays when they have late closing (I think 9pm) Far fewer crowds. The Mona Lisa is really very, meh. But that collection as a whole is just stupendous.
You do not have to see everything, but my god, just go!

Notre-Dame
Covered in scaffolding. It ain't opening for quite some time…

Arc de Triomphe
Nice view from the top. I'd recommend it if nothing else comes to mind.

Moulin Rogue
Yeah. No.
It is tourist trap central.

I wouldn't miss:

Walking about… just walk about and enjoy the city.
The parks — Tuilleries or Luxembourg are great. Seriously, just sit and eat an ice cream or a bag of roasted chestnuts (in autumn/winter) and watch Parisians go about their business.

Musee d'Orsay
19th Centurt art…

Versailles.
A day trip. Unmissable

Eating:
Can be hit and miss.
My personal favourites are:

My all time favourites La Regalade and La Mère Agitée have both shut up shop forever.
They were all you could ever need. Just a shame Covid did for them both.
However! There are still —

Les Papilles

L'Ami Jean

If the weather is good, buy some charcuterie and fromage and go sit in a park.

Try to speak some French — not because les Parisiens can't speak English, but you genuinely get far better help and service just by making the attempt.
Do not assume by just speaking Loudly in English you will make things easier. 🤣

French coffee is traditionally overrated, IMO.
100% Agree. You do not go to France for the coffee.

No car needed or wanted if you are staying in the city.
👍 Madness to try and drive!

Edit:
I'll add a few things as they come to me.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Paris is one of my favourite cities to visit… at least a couple times a year.

Eiffel Tower
Go early to try and beat the queue or just look at it from afar… Beware of the scam artists. Lots of them about. No one wants to be "your friend and give you a bracelet; the petition they want you to sign is a scam…
The best views of the tower are from the Trocadero.

The Catacombs
Wouldn't put it on my list, but chacun a son goût! 🤣

Go in! Go in! Go in!
Especially Fridays when they have late closing (I think 9pm) Far fewer crowds. The Mona Lisa is really very, meh. But that collection as a whole is just stupendous.
You do not have to see everything, but my god, just go!

Notre-Dame
Covered in scaffolding. It ain't opening for quite some time…

Arc de Triomphe
Nice view from the top. I'd recommend it if nothing else comes to mind.

Moulin Rogue
Yeah. No.
It is tourist trap central.

I wouldn't miss:

Walking about… just walk about and enjoy the city.
The parks — Tuilleries or Luxembourg are great. Seriously, just sit and eat an ice cream or a bag of roasted chestnuts (in autumn/winter) and watch Parisians go about their business.

Musee d'Orsay
19th Centurt art…

Versailles.
A day trip. Unmissable

Eating:
Can be hit and miss.
My personal favourites are:

My all time favourites La Regalade and La Mère Agitée have both shut up shop forever.
They were all you could ever need. Just a shame Covid did for them both.
However! There are still —

Les Papilles

L'Ami Jean

If the weather is good, buy some charcuterie and fromage and go sit in a park.

Try to speak some French — not because les Parisiens can't speak English, but you genuinely get far better help and service just by making the attempt.

100% Agree. You do not go to France for the coffee.

👍 Madness to try and drive!

Edit:
I'll add a few things as they come to me.
Notre-Dame
Covered in scaffolding. It ain't opening for quite some time

…but if I was nearby, I’d take a peek. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hello,

Eiffel Tower
The Catacombs
Notre-Dame
Arc de Triomphe
Moulin Rogue

Thanks in advance!
During the tourist season or off season? Out best trips there have been in the winter. Everything seems to stay open in Paris, except the gardens will be closed or minimal. My wife wanted to visit Monet’s home in Giverny, but it was closed. :(

32AC8684-39E1-4A0F-A02C-9A8422ED1669.jpeg

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Naturally countless places to eat in Paris. But if you're already at the Eiffel Tower, I also recommend stopping by the Jules Verne restaurant.
JulesVerne2_creditMarie-LineSina.jpg

Reactions: rhett7660

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
any tips or other items
I don't know anything about your interests so this list may or may not appeal to you:

Art, literature, music
Père Lachaise Cemetery
*Among other things, Ground Zero for Doors fans.

Performing arts, architecture, film
Palais Garnier
*Phantom of the Opera, The Red Shoes...

Art, film, photography, views, neighborhood
Sacré Coeur de Montmartre
*Jazz Age, Brassaï, Amélie

Literature, philosophy, art
Les Deux Magots
*Existentialists, Surrealists

Architecture, science
Parc de la Villette
*Park + Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie

History, architecture
Versailles
*Try to go on a day when the fountains are turned on!

Art
Giverny
*Ground Zero for Monet fans

Art
Musée Rodin
*(obvious!)

Literature
Maison de Balzac
*(assuming you like Balzac)

Food, Hemingway
Rue Mouffetard
*buy food, eat, shopping

Hemingway, Joyce, Lost Generation
12, rue de l'Odéon
*The former location of the real Shakespeare & Company bookstore, owned by Sylvia Beach

History, Hemingway, local people (assuming it's not August), hanging out
Jardin du Luxembourg
*Great place to take pictures

Rich people, history, scandals
Place des Vosges

Couturiers
Place Vendôme and surrounding area
*Hey, the dollar is at parity with the euro right now!!!

----------
Some books to read before traveling
  • A Moveable Feast (Hemingway)
  • La Seduction: How the French Play the Game of Life (Sciolino)
  • Nadja (Breton)
  • Henry and June (Nin)
And, finally, a great series of videos for checking out French culture:

Last edited:

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I'd advise you to book/buy tickets to whatever your want to see in advance, if you haven't already.

October shouldn't be as crowded, but during the Summer travel season, venues like the Louvre can sell out, and it is impossible to get in if you don't already have a ticket, or tour lined up. Generally applies to the attractions in the popular European destinations.

If you do intend to see the Moulin Rouge, Sacré-Coeur is just up the hill in Montmartre and provides a nice vantage point of the city.

The d'Orsay is a fabulous space (converted train station) and has a nice collection.

They recently said that Notre-Dame will reopen in 2024, so the exterior view of the restoration is all that's possible.

A lot of queuing for the elevators at the Eiffel Tower, and a lot of people in the confined spaces aren't fun when it's oppressively hot. Definitely avoid visiting in the middle of the day.

A stroll, or bike along the Seine is very pleasant.

The Metro tickets are small slivers of paper. Hold onto them, or a chance encounter with the gendarmes at an impromptu checkpoint at the station exit might not be pleasant.

Paris is a grand city, with many interesting neighborhoods, so take advantage of that wherever an adjacent attractions takes you

Keep an eye out for Invader's art.

johnb300m

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2008
Chicago, IL
Agree with this.
You don't need to be fluent, but when I went, I spent a few weeks on Duolingo just learning simple pleasantries and questions. It helps 100% breaking the ice with the French.
It's not that they don't like Americans or English speakers, but they're very much into manners and decorum.
So just some simple "Bonjour, comment ça va?"
"Merci." Sil vous plais? Je voudrais une bière/un vin? Parlez-vous un peu anglais?

They like others to make real efforts in speaking their language and getting to know their culture. Then they open right up! And will try to meet you in the middle with their broken english and your broken french.

Learn your numbers in French! At least up to 20. I didn't do this and it made buying things confusing on my trip.

If you know some Spanish, that can help too. Just like how many Americans know a little Spanish, so do the French, since they're next to Spain. So that might help.

When you go to restaurants, often you seat yourself, and you will need to flag servers to you. Just do it nicely.
Don't call anyone garcon! (Literally is shouting "boy" at people. Nobody likes that)
Most of the time the server will not bother you, so if you need something, flag them down. That includes the check.
L'addition s'il vous plait? Otherwise you'll be sitting there confused for 30min after eating. Hah!

Roll with things. It's a foreign country, and it'll make things easier and more fun than getting upset at things or expecting everything to work just as it does back home.

I can't wait to go back!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
@rhett7660, both @arkitect and @KaliYoni have made some excellent suggestions.

I would especially agree with the recommendations (thank you, @arkitect) to visit the Musée Quai d'Orsay, and that of @KaliYoni to take in the Place des Vosges.

To that, I would add, the Cluny museum (Musée de Cluny), which I love, a museum of the Middle Ages, (among many other wonderful exhibits, it is home to the Lion and the Unicorn set of tapestries, and is also home to some of the Roman baths of Paris).

Notre Dame is amazing (but not yet open, and I doubt whether the crypts of Notre Dame - which contain ruins from Roman Paris - and are well worth a visit - are open either).

However, if Gothic cathedrals are your thing (they are mine), I can recommend the Basilica of St Denis, located in a rather grotty (rough) suburb of Paris, which is the first ever Gothic church to have been built; I have to say that it blew my mind, when I visited the place.

Last edited:

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
They like others to make real efforts in speaking their language and getting to know their culture. Then they open right up! And will try to meet you in the middle with their broken english and your broken french.

That applies everywhere, not just France.

First impressions and all…demonstrating a respect, and investment in the situation, and not simply expecting others to serve, or cater to you can go a long way.

Aside from restaurants, exchange greetings with a shopkeeper in their store.

And, while I think this is mostly an Italian thing, don't touch, or finger the produce (or merchandise) in a market. Keep your hands to yourself and allow them to assist you.

The Place des Vosges is a nice place to chill and take a break from rushing around. There is a garden located off one of the corners of the square as well.

As an American, there is so much history in the world that many never realize, or get to experience. so take it in.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
it is home to the Lion and the Unicorn set of tapestries
That is an excellent addition to any Paris list! The tapestries are incredible to see in person.

Want to try the bread and of course the coffee!!!
And now that the discussion has turned a bit to how-to-be-more-Parisian tips, keep in mind that there are two types of baguette. The first is ultra-cheap and mass produced. Frankly, these won't be much different from bread you can buy at a supermarket bakery in the USA. The second, which is worth seeking out, are made by artisan boulangeries (you might already know this but boulangeries specialize in bread and pâtisseries specialize in pastries and sweet baked goods). An internationally known artisan boulangerie is Poilâne...but I think the best thing to do is walk around the quartier where you are staying and see if there's a place that draws you in.

Next, only order a café crème/café au lait in the morning unless you don't mind being immediately identified as an American.
:)

Last edited:

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Agree with this.
You don't need to be fluent, but when I went, I spent a few weeks on Duolingo just learning simple pleasantries and questions. It helps 100% breaking the ice with the French.
It's not that they don't like Americans or English speakers, but they're very much into manners and decorum.
So just some simple "Bonjour, comment ça va?"
"Merci." Sil vous plais? Je voudrais une bière/un vin? Parlez-vous un peu anglais?
100%! 👍
When you go to restaurants, often you seat yourself, and you will need to flag servers to you. Just do it nicely.
Don't call anyone garcon! (Literally is shouting "boy" at people. Nobody likes that)
Most of the time the server will not bother you, so if you need something, flag them down. That includes the check.
L'addition s'il vous plait? Otherwise you'll be sitting there confused for 30min after eating. Hah!
Often it seems the restaurants are where, shall we say, Anglophone tourists have a hard time adapting.

It is a cultural difference, waiters are usually professionals — this is what they do as a living.
They're not students working the room in the hope of being talented spotted while waiting tables reliant on tips.

And on the subject of tipping. Please just round up. You do not need to leave 15% 20% 25% — it is just not done. The service charge is already included. (This goes for most of Europe.)

Roll with things. It's a foreign country, and it'll make things easier and more fun than getting upset at things or expecting everything to work just as it does back home.

I can't wait to go back!
Well said…

However, if Gothic cathedrals are your thing (they are mine), I can recommend the Basilica of St Denis, located in a rather grotty (rough) suburb of Paris, which is the first ever Gothic church to have been built; I have to say that it blew my mind, when I visited the place.
This is true. There is always talk about cleaning up the area… but I kind of like it. It feels real and not the polished up Paris that most tourists see… 🙂

Next, only order a café crème/café au lait in the morning unless you don't mind being immediately identified as an American.
:)
Oh, they'll know where you're from before you've said a word. 😁

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
I second or third (?) the suggestions for Musee d’Orsay, Rodin museum, and Versailles gardens and palace. Same with the effort to learn and use just a few basic words of French, a little goes a long way and is fun, if difficult. Bon voyage!

Edited to add: Take advantage of the great food everywhere, not just in restaurants but when you see the common signs for Boulangerie (bakery) and Patisserie (pastries), those are great, quick, and inexpensive stops for a snack of many freshly baked flavors. One of my favorites was the “beignet framboise”, Raspberry something… — Whew, missing France now!

Last edited:

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I feel your picking a bad time for vacation! With hyper inflation and EU communist degrees on how many cows they can have has already hit the Netherlands and is coming for all EU Nations!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I feel your picking a bad time for vacation! With hyper inflation and EU communist degrees on how many cows they can have has already hit the Netherlands and is coming for all EU Nations!

It isn't really by choice... we have credits as we were supposed to go two years ago... but well Covid. So it is what it is.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
What are you dates for Paris?

I STRONGLY suggest to take extra days to go outside of Paris, if time/budget allows, you can go to Reims for a Champagne day trip or Bourgogne or South of France or Bretagne. Lots of things to do & see.

It’s always nice to visit the capital of a country but going on the countryside would give you a real feel of the people, culture and the country.

I’ll be in Paris end of September and I already booked my tickets for le Château de Versailles. We will visit l’Arc de Triomphe, la Tour Eiffel, les Jardins du Luxembourg, Montorgueil, Montmartre and l’Opéra Garnier. This is my favourite spot in Paris:

F921BADF-37A5-4330-B908-B6396541BA7F.jpeg

90223120-7A94-43B8-9629-244A40A56114.jpeg
Then, we will stay 2 nights in Reims and spend the rest of the trip in the South.

Last edited:

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
What are you dates for Paris?

I STRONGLY suggest to take extra days to go outside of Paris, if time/budget allows, you can go to Reims for a Champagne day trip or Bourgogne or South of France or Bretagne. Lots of things to do & see.

It’s always nice to visit the capital of a country but going on the countryside would give you a real feel of the people, culture and the country.

I’ll be in Paris end of September and I already booked my tickets for le Château de Versailles. We will visit l’Arc de Triomphe, la Tour Eiffel, les Jardins du Luxembourg, Montorgueil, Montmartre and l’Opéra Garnier. This is my favourite spot in Paris:

View attachment 2042787

View attachment 2042791 Then, we will stay 2 nights in Reims and spend the rest of the trip in the South.
Beautiful photos, sounds like a wonderful trip itinerary too. Enjoy!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Agree with the excellent post - and recommendation - by @gigatoaster to travel beyond Paris, if possible.

The various regions of France are quite different and distinct from one another, in terms of cuisine and culture, - history and heritage - and it can come as a surprise to realise how different from Paris they can be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.