Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
the airlines are notorious for not filtering the cabin air.
Just think the hordes of mildly infected 1st class demon spawn children, coughing their lungs out for you to breath.

travel... go for it.

• Haha
Reactions: JayMysterio

user_xyz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2018
I don't see it. Without wanting to sound like the grim reaper here, this whole thing is likely to knock the global economy for six. Even if it's 'over' in the timescale that's predicted (peak midsummer, back to background levels by autumn) I think we're going to be picking up the pieces for a long time after that. People will have other spending priorities, airlines will have to slowly re-commission fleets of planes that will have been largely mothballed for months, the cruise industry is going to be on it's knees, insurance providers will be battered and bruised, independent hoteliers and small cafe's, bakeries, restaurants etc might not have survived at all.

This really is a doomsday scenario for the travel and leisure industry, especially where the peak summer season is heavily relied on to help see them through a lean winter season. A 'bounce back' at the end is far less likely than a long, hard slog back to normalcy.

Agreed.

Reactions: Falhófnir

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Was scheduled to travel to Seattle on 3/22 (return on 3/29) on Alaska. Called last Saturday AM and in less than 15 minutes, had credits to my FF account "wallet" good for one year. No fees, tickets were "no changes allowed".
[automerge]1584551705[/automerge]
the airlines are notorious for not filtering the cabin air.
I've never heard that before. Attribution?

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Was scheduled to travel to Seattle on 3/22 (return on 3/29) on Alaska. Called last Saturday AM and in less than 15 minutes, had credits to my FF account "wallet" good for one year. No fees, tickets were "no changes allowed".
[automerge]1584551705[/automerge]

I've never heard that before. Attribution?
I’m not sure I’d be happy with a 1 year credit, 18 months at a minimum, 2 years better.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I don't see it. Without wanting to sound like the grim reaper here, this whole thing is likely to knock the global economy for six. Even if it's 'over' in the timescale that's predicted (peak midsummer, back to background levels by autumn) I think we're going to be picking up the pieces for a long time after that. People will have other spending priorities, airlines will have to slowly re-commission fleets of planes that will have been largely mothballed for months, the cruise industry is going to be on it's knees, insurance providers will be battered and bruised, independent hoteliers and small cafe's, bakeries, restaurants etc might not have survived at all.

This really is a doomsday scenario for the travel and leisure industry, especially where the peak summer season is heavily relied on to help see them through a lean winter season. A 'bounce back' at the end is far less likely than a long, hard slog back to normalcy.

6m is wildly optimistic. We are looking at an 18m duration event in the US, IMO. Even if the airlines had been responsible and not used 90+% of profits as stock buybacks I don't think they could have held enough capital in reserve to remotely cover this.

When this event passes the Govt. needs to come back in and implement some seriously lacking regulation on the industry. De-Regulation has been an utter failure. Airlines have done nothing but increase capacity for a race to the bottom in fares. Profits are all used to boost stock prices and pay dividends.

When we come out of this be prepared for air travel to be somewhere in-between a luxury, and affordable. A large amount of cut capacity will come from the small connection flights. You're not going to see unionized airlines retraining wide body crews to fly E-170's.

I feel for all my friends still in the industry. For most of them this will be a life changing experience. :apple:

Reactions: Falhófnir and jeyf

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010

Exactly. How many won't back to full consumerism after between not having the money and having broken the addiction. They'll be like I've lasted this long without it... But the one good thing is I hope the weeds out the evil businesses. Like the only business other than utilities that proactively mentions financial things about how to deal with deposits already paid was some small arcade near us. I am sure as heck going there once they reopen. Eff places like Hersheypark that didn't even mention what people can do about Season Passes, and even when asked on FB, give the absolutely stupidest vague answers!

Reactions: Falhófnir

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
use caution:
how many airlines will there be still in business 6mo -> 1year from now
I hope they all pull through but...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I booked a flight for this summer, we had already have the resort reserved. I'm quite worried this whole pandemic will still be with is in July :(

• Sad
Reactions: LizKat

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
... I'm quite worried this whole pandemic will still be with is in July
good possibility, sorry.

figure for your self tho, look at how long other countries have had to deal with it.
the virus may slow down once the warmer weather hits? maybe not?

will the resort be still open?

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I'm past the point of worrying about cancellations. Just wish they would cancel already and refund instead being so freaking wishy washy.

Reactions: rhett7660

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm past the point of worrying about cancellations. Just wish they would cancel already and refund instead being so freaking wishy washy.

I was set to board Fort Lauderdale on the week of April 20, and that cruise that was slated for Turks & Caicos, which is still showing ‘On time’. That’s freakin ridiculous. Florida is not an area I would want to be in it right now (500+ rising cases/10 deaths), given the outbreak they have, let alone all the travel advisories, I’m just stunned they have not canceled, yet for those who want to voluntarily cancel, the cruise-line will issue refunds with no questions asked/no penalty fees. The whole ‘waiting to see if things will get better’ is absolutely asinine, and unnecessary given all the revamping companies/organizations have made throughout the US with adjusted hours and restrictions for crowds.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
i have some ecredits with Delta from my cancelled trip in April, that they say should be booked by Dec. My wife said she thought she read something about airlines should be offering cash refunds. Anyone else hear this? Anyone get a cash refund? I’m going to call them up, bug them for a refund, and see what happens.

gymratjudy

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2016
i have some ecredits with Delta from my cancelled trip in April, that they say should be booked by Dec. My wife said she thought she read something about airlines should be offering cash refunds. Anyone else hear this? Anyone get a cash refund? I’m going to call them up, bug them for a refund, and see what happens.
What I read was that one is entitled to a refund even for non refundable tickets if the flight is cancelled. If you modify or cancel the trip before the airline cancels the actual flight you will just be entitled to the credit voucher. This is per DOT and EU transportation rule “Airlines must fully refund airfare to passengers whose flights have been canceled during the outbreak of Covid-19, the U.S. Transportation Department ordered on Friday.” “The European Union on Wednesday issued a similar statement, saying EU law requires reimbursements to be made within seven days.”

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Land transpo on my mind lately, but only as a daydream on coffee breaks. Car dealers for my kinda vehicle (pre-owned and already cheap) are dropping their prices, still hoping to snare our stimulus payments if we have squirreled them away.

I'm actually self-sworn not to bother with another car since I'm already approaching the age I said I'd quit driving...no desire to become one of the truly dangerous geezers I have cursed at for at least the past ten years on roads around here.

But it's hard to resist "just looking" at all those bargains available at the moment. Good thing I'm not in position to go test driving, just online fake-window-shopping on weekends. I think I have spring fever too, despite the snow on the ground at the moment.

Meanwhile the "land transportation" I'm engaged in is dutifully restricted to back porch trips to fetch in whatever FedEx / UPS or Instacart may have dropped off out there... after I let it sit for awhile.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My vacations are postponed for the summer. My timeshare is active again down in Fort Myers, (as the resort is fully operational). As much as I would like to visit this summer [As I have for three years in a row] and that was the original plan, I just think I would rather delay until things can continue to improve, hopefully.

I don’t mind having ‘stay-cations‘, I like to stay active, as long as the weather continues to cooperate and we push with ample sunshine where I can soak up some rays and work on my tan,😁 then I’m totally fine with that. My health is more priority over any vacation, and that is something I can always make up for in the future, but I’m not going to jeopardize my health.

[I will say, when I retire by 50, I want to live down in Fort Myers. That’s the goal.]

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Unless there is an advantage to them holding my money, I’d prefer to get it back until I actually decide to travel.
Well, that's not an option. The flights were not canceled. I canceled my reservations. But, yeah, that would be better for the customer, not so good for the airline.

We had tickets to a dinner theater - they gave a refund, but wanted to hold on to our payment to apply to a future performance.
We have tickets to a symphony - they said hold onto them, you'll get to use them later. They are season tickets, we missed two performances out of four.
We have tickets to a baseball (MLB) game - they have said nothing. In general, it's been reported that the "logic" is that the games have been postponed, not canceled. Yeah, right. That's a lot of games!

• Sad
Reactions: compwiz1202

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Well, that's not an option. The flights were not canceled. I canceled my reservations. But, yeah, that would be better for the customer, not so good for the airline.

We had tickets to a dinner theater - they gave a refund, but wanted to hold on to our payment to apply to a future performance.
We have tickets to a symphony - they said hold onto them, you'll get to use them later. They are season tickets, we missed two performances out of four.
We have tickets to a baseball (MLB) game - they have said nothing. In general, it's been reported that the "logic" is that the games have been postponed, not canceled. Yeah, right. That's a lot of games!
The obvious problem is that these tickets were normally non-refundable with associated restrictions. We maybe not be ready to rebook a flight any time soon and be willing to face these restrictions again.

• Sad
Reactions: compwiz1202

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This last week I flew to Tampa from Houston and back. I’ve had the first series plus 3 boosters. Even so inside the airport and on a aircraft that holds approx 200 people packed in like sardines, I kept my mask on the entire time on the aircraft, and most of the time in the airport.

There is a resurgence of COVID predicted for this winter, there are cases with people who have gotten COVID and recovered have lasting health complications, called ”Long COVID”, although the odds are reduced if you have been vaccinated. It seems like to me that wearing a mask in tight human quarters is a NO-BRAINER!

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I firm believe only to visit outside public parks nd luckily in my are in finger lakes many of them are even on YouTube now Letchworth and Wilkins Glenn!

Last edited:

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
This last week I flew to Tampa from Houston and back. I’ve had the first series plus 3 boosters. Even so inside the airport and on a aircraft that holds approx 200 people packed in like sardines, I kept my mask on the entire time on the aircraft, and most of the time in the airport.

There is a resurgence of COVID predicted for this winter, there are cases with people who have gotten COVID and recovered have lasting health complications, called ”Long COVID”, although the odds are reduced if you have been vaccinated. It seems like to me that wearing a mask in tight human quarters is a NO-BRAINER!

I think it's a good idea anyhow, especially during peak seasons. When we were wearing masks like crazy everywhere, I don't even think I got a cold.

Reactions: KaliYoni and Huntn

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I'm taking 4 hour flights on Nov. 1st and Nov. 8th. I will be wearing an N-95 mask on the shuttle, in the terminal, and on the plane, except when snacking. My son got COVID on a recent flight from the same airport I'm going to. It's not over. Masks make sense, which is why you see most people not wearing them.

Reactions: KaliYoni and Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.