Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Emmulator

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2018
They should be counted by uBar once they have run once.

If I could resize the preferences dialog, I would show that Thunderbird is not in the list although it is running. I did restart uBar and Thunderbird itself. I believe the only reason Thunderbird is showing in the task bar itself is because I favorited it and selected "Include favorited apps".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 9.12.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 9.12.24 AM.png
    233 KB · Views: 590

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
If I could resize the preferences dialog, I would show that Thunderbird is not in the list although it is running. I did restart uBar and Thunderbird itself. I believe the only reason Thunderbird is showing in the task bar itself is because I favorited it and selected "Include favorited apps".
But then how did you favorite it without it showing first? There's something we're missing here. Can you pls email your preferences file in ~/Library/Application Support/uBar to support@brawersoftware.com and I'll check it out.

Emmulator

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2018
But then how did you favorite it without it showing first? There's something we're missing here. Can you pls email your preferences file in ~/Library/Application Support/uBar to support@brawersoftware.com and I'll check it out.

I was able to favorite it by right-clicking on the app in the Applications folder in Finder. But we may be onto something with the preferences file, since it doesn't exist. :)

Code:
jemmer:~/Library/Application Support/uBar$ tree -a
├── .DS_Store
├── .Sparkle
├── Icons
└── Timepieces

3 directories, 1 file

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
I was able to favorite it by right-clicking on the app in the Applications folder in Finder. But we may be onto something with the preferences file, since it doesn't exist. :)
Sorry - it should be in ~/Library/Preferences

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I can't seem to reproduce this.
I'm giving uBar another go as I can see it has gotten a number of updates since I put it on hiatus. I will use uBar and take notice of the issue about the menu not opening after an extended period of time. This bug was apparent when using High Sierra. I have yet to give uBar 4 the time it deserves on macOS Mojave.

Minor issue below.
The registration window doesn't open the first time one tries to register the uBar 4 application. Second attempt opens the registration window just fine. It's something I took notice of much earlier but didn't report because I was using mySIMBL and thought it was improper to claim that it was uBar 4's fault when I willingly had hacked my OS - I haven't hacked macOS with mySIMBL this time around. And I'm using Mojave 10.14.2 and not High Sierra anymore.

Have you thought anymore about my proposal(via e-mail) to allow uBar to have custom time and date locale settings? Such that I can use EN-US macOS but have the time and date within uBar set to the danish locale and possibly in the same vein allow for more in depth settings that expand to longer day-names and month name in the default uBar 4 first launch appearance?

Last edited:

dmac2

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2019
Ok, so in my bar, say for the Finder icon, there's a downward pointing arrow in the upper right of the icon. This is obviously indicating that there is more than one window (or one tab) open. When I click on the icon, or its downward arrow, the uBar doc lists the titles of each open window/tab. I then get to choose which one I want.

This behavior should happen when I click only on the downward arrow. When I click on the icon, and not its downward arrow, the last tab/window for that app that had focus should be automatically chosen and focus brought to it.

I've looked in the uBar preferences and can't find any flag to get the uBar doc icon to work like suggested. Can it? Where might I look? If not, I'd like to suggest this for a future release.@dermeister

Thanks.

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
I'm giving uBar another go as I can see it has gotten a number of updates since I put it on hiatus. I will use uBar and take notice of the issue about the menu not opening after an extended period of time. This bug was apparent when using High Sierra. I have yet to give uBar 4 the time it deserves on macOS Mojave.

Minor issue below.
The registration window doesn't open the first time one tries to register the uBar 4 application. Second attempt opens the registration window just fine. It's something I took notice of much earlier but didn't report because I was using mySIMBL and thought it was improper to claim that it was uBar 4's fault when I willingly had hacked my OS - I haven't hacked macOS with mySIMBL this time around. And I'm using Mojave 10.14.2 and not High Sierra anymore.

Have you thought anymore about my proposal(via e-mail) to allow uBar to have custom time and date locale settings? Such that I can use EN-US macOS but have the time and date within uBar set to the danish locale and possibly in the same vein allow for more in depth settings that expand to longer day-names and month name in the default uBar 4 first launch appearance?

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the bug report - will be looking into it. The custom clock area suggestion is indeed on the todo list. It'll be possible to do the custom format, but using a different language than the current language is unlikely.

Ok, so in my bar, say for the Finder icon, there's a downward pointing arrow in the upper right of the icon. This is obviously indicating that there is more than one window (or one tab) open. When I click on the icon, or its downward arrow, the uBar doc lists the titles of each open window/tab. I then get to choose which one I want.

This behavior should happen when I click only on the downward arrow. When I click on the icon, and not its downward arrow, the last tab/window for that app that had focus should be automatically chosen and focus brought to it.

I've looked in the uBar preferences and can't find any flag to get the uBar doc icon to work like suggested. Can it? Where might I look? If not, I'd like to suggest this for a future release.@dermeister

Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion. The convention on macOS is that so long as there is no divider line in the button separating it into two areas, the functionality will be the same across the button. So I've added this to the todo list, with the proviso that a vertical dividing line will be visible separating the arrow area.

kallu

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2019
Hello, I am a new user of Ubar 4 and liking it so far.

I have macbook pro with 2 spaces. When I move an app to the 2nd space, shouldn't that be the only app shown in the uBar? Currently, I see all my apps on all the spaces. I feel it defeats the purpose of Spaces. Maybe, I am missing some setting in the Preferences.

Thank you.

kallu

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2019
How do I get my dock back? When I click uBar -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Dockless mode off, the Dock doesn't come back. In addition to that, all window switching behave very slow. I have to restart my laptop to make window switching normal again. The Dock doesn't come even after restart.

Is anyone else facing this?

Thanks for reading.

alexisvx

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2019
Hi,
I am a new user and love the app!
Is there a way to pin an application on the taskbar if it's not currently used? So, for example, have excel always be there and I can click on it to open the app?

Thanks

trashtag

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2019
Dear dermeister,

I signed up here because I haven't gotten a response from your support channels in months now...
While I love uBar, it constantly leaks memory up to my full RAM, forcing my computer to swap which makes it very slow. Restarting uBar helps, though the same behaviour happens again after some time.

Can you please look into this? Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-07-02 at 14.33.05.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-02 at 14.33.05.png
    563.1 KB · Views: 351

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
Dear dermeister,

I signed up here because I haven't gotten a response from your support channels in months now...
While I love uBar, it constantly leaks memory up to my full RAM, forcing my computer to swap which makes it very slow. Restarting uBar helps, though the same behaviour happens again after some time.

Can you please look into this? Thanks!

What version are you using? There was a memory leak that was fixed a few months ago.

mforce2000

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2019
I have been using uBar 4.1.4 for many months and I really like it. I just installed macOs Catalina and now uBar keeps crashing. As soon as I move the cursor anywhere over uBar, it crashes. Please help me to resolve this. If you need any further information from me, just let me know.

ggolcher

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2019
Hi dermeister,

I also created an account just to enlist your help with uBar.

I have a bunch of irritants I've dealt with regarding uBar that I would love to get fixed. macOS Catalina has made the situation worse even.

I tried to reconsider using the dock and I despise it. I want to keep uBar.

I'd love to enlist your help in fixing them. While I've already paid for the app, I'd be willing to donate further if you'd work with me to get these issues fixed.

Please let me know if this is feasible. I'll also send you a DM with this message.

Ross.bgr

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2016
Another one crashing uBar 4.1.4 - after Mac OS 10.15 update, uBar started behaving weirdly.
I opened ticket with uBar Service Desk, couple of days ago - so far nothing.

I did clean fresh install of uBar 4, seems it helped - now the app is crashing not that often as before.

Tryker

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2019
After the 10.15 update I've been having issues as well. Some of Catalina's new programs do not show up in my Applications menu, specifically Music, Podcasts, Stickies, Reminders, and Photos. There may be others too. The programs are there as I can find them using the Finder.
I do really like this app and hope it's being developed and maintained.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Interesting app except when I first installed it the uBar dock contains a bunch of stuff not on my dock and none of my dock items if the program was no open. I see how to delete the items (many of which are menu bar items already) but no way to fix uBar to show my "Always in Dock" items. Also, no badges when just icons is frustrating.

Giant Speck

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
uBar 4.1.4, for the most part, has been working in macOS Catalina. However, the entire app will occasionally crash completely when I hover over the app with the mouse.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
I'm new to uBar. Could someone tell me how to drag a favourite from one dock to another please

I've been using uBar for a day, and am really liking it so far. Pretty sure I will pay for the app once my 14 day trial ends.
As for rearranging the favorites... it seems a pretty inefficient way to do it. The only method I've found is to right click on the icons, and in the contextual menu it gives you the option to "move back" or "move forward".... so if you are trying to rearrange a bunch of icons its a pretty slow and annoying way to do it. There is also a menu choice for "move across"... which if the icon is in the left side of the bar, it moves it to the opposite side (over where the trash can is located), and vice vera. Once once moved to an opposite side, you have to then do the "move back" or "move forward" to get it into the position you want.
Please developer, add ability to just drag icon to rearrange...
[automerge]1574028315[/automerge]
uBar 4.1.4, for the most part, has been working in macOS Catalina. However, the entire app will occasionally crash completely when I hover over the app with the mouse.

I'm running 4.1.4 (newest version) in Catalina, and so far have experienced no crashes. Knock on wood.

Edit: while I haven't experienced any crashing, I do see what people are mentioning about the list of apps that you can include or exclude not showing all apps. But with Catalina having just come out recently, I hope they are addressing any issues. I don't mind paying the cost of this app, if I know they are actively continuing to develop the app.

Last edited:

Luppo

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
Hey, I was using the uBar app and I think that it is the only dock app on Mac, which is convenient for me. However, I had to recently delete it due to crashes (windows preview) and memory leaks which were really annoying. I saw yesterday that the windows preview crash was fixed and therefore I would like to ask If you know about or planning to fix memory leaks as well.
Once I had a memory leak, which was eating all 16GB of my RAM. I really hope that you'll fix it soon. I'm using Catarina 10.15.1 and I can give you additional logs. ^^

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.