Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David1986H

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2020
Cheshire, UK
Feel free to post your new MBP specs, order status and so on. Also flight tracking if you'd ordered a custom built.

Fingers crossed I'll be upgrading from the 16" M1 Pro to the 16" M2 Max with 30 gpu cores in silver on Monday.

Looking forward to seeing if anyone has brought or upgraded this time around.

David1986H

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2020
Cheshire, UK
I've gone and done it....
Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 12.54.21.png

David1986H

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2020
Cheshire, UK
MacBook Pro 16” M2 Max 96 GB memory 8 TB drive arriving February 1-3.
Our MacBooks might be on the same flight from Incheon, it was fun tracking the flight last time from there to Germany then to East Midlands airport.

EDIT... Sorry I didn't see your name, I thought you were from the UK seeing this is a UK thread

Last edited:

Qwaf

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2010
1674086551475.png

My order. First time going with the smaller device (my first Apple silicon machine). Coming from a 2017 15" MBP. Coming Feb 2nd.

I went with the M2 Pro 12/19 because it's not my primary device, any GPU heavy stuff I do on my desktop. Mostly want something with a good CPU (for my dev work) and is a bit more portable than my previous laptops.

I'm looking forward to it, I had a 2016 15" MBP from UK launch day until it went through so many in-warranty repairs that Apple gave me the 2017 upgrade for free, which itself also had a few repairs too. It is now not very functional as it has the daft flex cable issue where the display shuts off when you open it past a certain angle. Apple wanted £669 to repair..

I'll be glad to see the back of that generation of Macbook Pro. The most unreliable computers I've owned by miles.

Reactions: David1986H

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
How much smaller does the 14” screen feel vs the old 15” 2016 MBPs?
I’m going to hook mine up to a monitor (most of the time), but it seems like the 14” would be more portable for travel while still being powerful. I really don’t like 13” screens, they feel too small/cramped.

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
How much smaller does the 14” screen feel vs the old 15” 2016 MBPs?
I’m going to hook mine up to a monitor (most of the time), but it seems like the 14” would be more portable for travel while still being powerful. I really don’t like 13” screens, they feel too small/cramped.
The 14" feels like a more spacious 13" class screen - it does not feel like a 15" screen.

That said, it is an excellent screen and the portability benefits are enough that I choose my 14" over my 16" for nearly everything that isn't desk based.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
The 14" feels like a more spacious 13" class screen - it does not feel like a 15" screen.

That said, it is an excellent screen and the portability benefits are enough that I choose my 14" over my 16" for nearly everything that isn't desk based.
Thanks for the info! That was my feeling about the 14” screen; I know that I’ll always prefer a larger screen (16”)…I was just hoping the more portable 14” might suit. I generally use my 27” iMac day to day, and my 15” MBP just for travel (said MBP is now ancient but still very functional, just way underpowered in terms of RAM). But as there’s no large powerful imac replacement, I’m going to jump to a new MBP + Apple Display (the $2K model!). So, I’ll have a large screen to work off of. Despite the bad reviews for the monitor. That’s what got me thinking maybe I could just go with the smaller model. But thinking about it, I don’t think I’d be happy despite the weight savings.

David1986H

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2020
Cheshire, UK
Mine has just gone to preparing to ship... Last time a load of people was tracking the flights from china to Germany then to the uk but I feel this time it'll be hard to find the plane seeing not many have brought one.
Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 10.07.46.png

Last edited:

Qwaf

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2010

Yeah this is my thought - as I'm going down from a 15" to a 14", I'm expecting to feel the smaller screen - but on balance it being a better choice for myself as almost always when I want to get actual work done I'll be clamshelling it and plugging it into at least one, usually two other monitors on a desk.

But for my casual use around when travelling, or just around the home, I do prefer the slightly smaller and lighter device.

But if you do primarily work on the laptop screen itself, I'd say the 16" makes more sense - especially given the price differences between the two aren't that significant.

One of the best things about the Apple silicon transition is that the choice between 14" and 16" is mostly just do you want bigger or smaller - don't have to compromise on power or functionality, just the things that naturally come with a bigger or smaller device: bigger screen, bigger battery - or more portable, lighter.

Last edited:
Reactions: jammyr

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
I'm taking the chance to go back to a 14" machine as I'm starting to travel more with work. This isn't my main machine so I've just gone for a base M2 Pro in silver and I'll stick my M1 Pro up on eBay.

brizna

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2023
Amazing machine. I only went for the 38 cores and 1Tb because I play Warcraft on my Mac alot.
Warcraft or World of Warcraft? The base MacBook Pro M2 Pro can run WoW at Native resolution MAX settings (20-30% more powerful GPU due to 2 free extra cores compared to M1 Pro base in the link)

https://www.aresgalaxy.org/pc-games/world-of-warcraft/apple-m1-pro-macbook-pro

Also, I bought the base M2 Pro in Toronto (on Jan 17th) status is "Preparing to Ship" card not charged yet. Really hope it comes a day or two earlier! :|

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
Warcraft or World of Warcraft? The base MacBook Pro M2 Pro can run WoW at Native resolution MAX settings (20-30% more powerful GPU due to 2 free extra cores compared to M1 Pro base in the link)

https://www.aresgalaxy.org/pc-games/world-of-warcraft/apple-m1-pro-macbook-pro

Also, I bought the base M2 Pro in Toronto (on Jan 17th) status is "Preparing to Ship" card not charged yet. Really hope it comes a day or two earlier! :|
I play World of Warcraft Dragonflight on a 42” 4K display with a M1 Max currently. At 4K max detail it runs well between 40-60fps so looking forward to seeing how the M2 Max performs.

7FBF138D-8117-4597-84CB-0B7F723F7D08.jpeg

Reactions: David1986H

MacTCE

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2013
Raleigh NC
I went for the 32Gb 1Tb but I always think your spec is perfection
I kept debating back and forth between the 2TB and 4TB. I'm consolidating my tech and eliminating my Mac Studio from my office, but I decided to roll with the 2TB and see how it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.