Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tivoboy

macrumors 601
May 15, 2005
Yes, mine continues to get better.. this last round of all workdays was 73 hours!

This is right at the 72:07 hour mark and the watch lasted another hour..this was NOT a LPM test at all, watch did 2:45 in workouts, three nights sleep tracking (using the Sleep focus), 10 min call, usual 100’s of messages/alerts during the workday.

A reminder how I have my watch setup:

AOD is OFF
Track for random workouts is OFF
Raise for SIRI is OFF
Listen for "hey siri" is OFF
Screen Brightness is at 1 tick below full, and plenty
Walkie Talkie is OFF

Attachments

• FC363DC9-F43B-4F3B-B2E2-FAC9607E98E1.png
    FC363DC9-F43B-4F3B-B2E2-FAC9607E98E1.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 113

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
Mine is worse from the first day I got it :(

First couple of days would end the day with 80%. The last week since 9.0.2 I’m ending the day at 72-75%.

No change in usage or watch faces
That happens to mine once a week or so. Restart puts it back to normal battery usage.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

tivoboy

macrumors 601
May 15, 2005
Mine is worse from the first day I got it :(

First couple of days would end the day with 80%. The last week since 9.0.2 I’m ending the day at 72-75%.

No change in usage or watch faces
I wouldn't really consider a 5% nominal difference much of a directional indicator. Even though one might think that there are "no charges in usage or watch faces" the watch is having a different experience by day, alerts and quite a bit of movement changes. Even something like sitting MORE could make it easier for the watch to take MORE and MORE FREQUENT O2 measurements, which could be enough to lower a 24 period usage by 5% overall.

It would appear as well that 9.1 isn't going to do much to change the average user experience for LPM, as it seems its going to be much more specifically related to endurance or long duration workout modes and not just daily average usage.

xxBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2020
What is apple claiming for outdoor workout without iPhone?

First time in a while running without my iPhone and I lost around 10% in around 35 min with AoD on and listening to music offline. Would result in 5-7h workout time. Does this sound right?

Craig6078

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2022
UK
I’m roughly charging every 48 hours, with a good 23 - 28 percent battery left. Can be strange though. Charged this morning and lost 12% so far.. and not really touched it today, hardly any notifications. Always wear to bed for sleep tracking. And not changed any settings from set up

tivoboy

macrumors 601
May 15, 2005
Can anyone comment on if in Theatre mode the ability to spin the crown to slowly increase brightness - from zero to an increase works as with prior AW? Historically, I used theatre mode (and put on DND and APM) at night but could just spin the crown a tad the bring up the brightness of the display to see the time. Now, with the Ultra in those modes, I have to rock the crown back and forth to get it to respond at all, and then it works but that doesn’t seem to be the way it should?

Maybe the Ultra has a bit of delay or hesitancy with crown input while in those modes so as to not unnecessarily act on crown movement?

Just wondering if this is expected behavior or now.. Crown does seem to work as expected in regular modes, etc.
Effective digital crown scroll while the watch screen is off, to bring it up slowly (for lefties wearing on right wrist at least) was working again in 9.02, now broken again in 9.1

WHY apple, why?

Reactions: Wackery

xxBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2020
Lost 6%/hour hiking today with phone nearby. AOD on. Would last around 17 hours while hiking.

Now at the end of the day, after sleep tracking yesterday evening and the hike today still 49% left.

tivoboy

macrumors 601
May 15, 2005
Lost 6%/hour hiking today with phone nearby. AOD on. Would last around 17 hours while hiking.

Now at the end of the day, after sleep tracking yesterday evening and the hike today still 49% left.
I did some hiking over the weekend, and tracking 12 miles, over 6 hours, going from 4000 ft to 6400 feet and back down, didn’t need AOD (it was off) to tell me my HR was 185 most of the time and my ~20 O2 readings were 88-90% but it was tracking GPS and waypoints the entire time. Sadly did receive three calls, 2 answered 1 to VM and about 30 alerts. The AWU used 18% battery over that time so I‘d put the usability for this type of use case at over 20 if not 24 hours. Granted, I was using a secondary HR monitor on the forearm which apparently is sending over 150 readings PER MINUTE to the watch, so that could have helped save a tiny amount of battery on the watch overall but allowed for no gaps in readings. Fortunately, this was just a day trip so the pack was only ~6 lb and not a more regular 25-40 extended duration hike.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
thought would try and test the ultra battery life with low power mode on the whole time. so far 25 hours in and I still have over 73% left.

normally it lasts me 48 hours. lets see how many days this really does last with it on.

tivoboy

macrumors 601
May 15, 2005
thought would try and test the ultra battery life with low power mode on the whole time. so far 25 hours in and I still have over 73% left.

normally it lasts me 48 hours. lets see how many days this really does last with it on.
My AWU LPM test (I only managed to do it for 2.75 days, down to 41%) projected an ability to do well over 100 hours of usage or four days depending on your timezone.

Post in thread 'Ultra Battery life'
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ultra-battery-life.2361649/post-31641893

Reactions: BigMcGuire

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

tivoboy

macrumors 601
May 15, 2005
Impressive you get that much, if I run the Watch all the way down I get around 48-55.
AOD is OFF
Raise for SIRI is OFF
Walkie Talkie is OFF
No "your location" weather tile

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
AOD is OFF
Raise for SIRI is OFF
Walkie Talkie is OFF
No "your location" weather tile

That explains it then…

KennyJr

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2020
51 hours ago, as a test for battery life, I activated all my low power mode settings. Currently my watch is showing 44% charge remaining. At this rate I may get as far out as 3 1/2 days before it goes dark.

I've been wearing it without removing it. I have to lift my wrist to turn the display on - no big deal (actually, with the thick flat screen Ultra, even for normal use It's not so easy to see the display without lifting your wrist). I'm using the Ultra 8 app display and I've checked out all 8 apps overtly. They all work just fine that way (although I've read where the covert background function of these apps is disengaged when in low power mode). Regardless .. I'm impressed.

Update .. 72 hours .. 83% used .. Still on track for 3 1/2 days.
Update .. 84+ hours .. 96% used .. Now going beyond 3 1/2 days.
Update .. 86 hours .. 100% used .. Went 3.6 days

Last edited:

Johnly

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2022
What I have to say right now is that it has been so nice to charge the watch up and realize that I can go days. I used to get a little anxious when my watch was at 50% because I knew I had to charge it in the next 8 hours, now when it’s 50% I feel like I have a full 24 hours left at the very least and I don’t even worry about it. I have already made the decision that this will be my daily driver for the next 3-4 years no problem. Having a 11 pro max does put me in the market for a 15 possibly, and if they do it in titanium I would be stoked!!

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Same here. Battery life is ASTOUNDING. I got to the point where I could do several days with my S7.... (I'm a light user). My Ultra? I think I could go 3+ days easily at my current rate.

xxBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2020
Can someone tell me how much does the ultra drain while running with AOD ON and LTE + music listening?

I went on a run with AOD , LTE, music stored on watch and lost 10% in 30 min. Would give me 5h of workout.

Apple claims 10h with Outdoor workout with LTE

SamTheeGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
United Kingdom
Last night 6pm 60% and with sleep tracking now morning 9:15am 33% got wayfinder watch face default and everything else default with background app refresh off

wes2006ag

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
Houston
Can someone tell me how much does the ultra drain while running with AOD ON and LTE + music listening?

I went on a run with AOD , LTE, music stored on watch and lost 10% in 30 min. Would give me 5h of workout.

Apple claims 10h with Outdoor workout with LTE
Mine varies a bit day to day but I average about 15% battery loss an hour with workout tracking, and listening to podcasts or music over LTE with the original AirPods Pro.

xxBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2020
Mine varies a bit day to day but I average about 15% battery loss an hour with workout tracking, and listening to podcasts or music over LTE with the original AirPods Pro.

Wait you loose 15%/h with streaming music over LTE? Not stored on Watch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.