Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2020
Put on my watch yesterday evening before going to bed. Woke up with around 92% so 8% through the night is okay. Then went for a 10K run and came back (LTE on, but no music today) with around 82% so 1% per K (my run was just under 50 minutes this morning so 10% an hour roughly)

I plan to run again this afternoon another 10K and one single run tomorrow - not putting money on my watch will last on the battery

Sounds ok.

When I put on my watch with 100% at 8:30 pm I have around 97-98% left at 4:00 am when I wake up.

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
Not to revive a stale thread, but I just noticed my launch-day Ultra's health dipped to 99%.

I typically keep the charge between 20-90%, rarely above 95%, and only once or twice to 100%.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Not to revive a stale thread, but I just noticed my launch-day Ultra's health dipped to 99%.

I typically keep the charge between 20-90%, rarely above 95%, and only once or twice to 100%.
You shouldn’t have to keep your charge level to anything. If you have optimized charging enabled it will do that automatically. Mine is still 100% from launch day.

N9JIG

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2019
SW USA
I typically get 2 or even into a 3rd day between charges for my Ultra. I don't do music or a lot of cellular calls on it so I can stretch it out. The other day however I drove up from Phoenix to Flagstaff and back and the watch (which had been fully charged overnight) battery died by mid-afternoon. I suspect it was the cellular radio pinging thru the mountains where cell service is all but non-existent. (My brand new iPad Pro did the same thing.)

I charged when I got home and I am back to lasting days again.

I month or so ago I did have a rapid battery drain, it drained in a matter of a couple hours and did the same the next day after being charged. I power-cycled the watch and all was well with the world again, I suspected that an app went rogue or something.

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
Pretty much a 2-day watch for me, including using the sleep tracking and about an hour of high intensity indoor workout during that two day cycle. It's about 10 or 15 percent at the end of 48 hours. The only exception to that has been the disaster where a rogue $2 charge from a spammy app that Apple attempted to levy off a lost credit card badly disrupted my entire iCloud, and three hours of trying to fix (among other things) the Watch's loss of pairing with my AirTags and reinstalling everything took about a third of the battery.

We'll see if that holds up once I start doing some outdoor workouts on it, though that's mostly outsourced to my Garmin Edge 530. My 5-year-old Garmin Vivoactive 3 on the same use pattern is more of a three or four-day watch. I don't think I'd dig the daily charging on the smaller Apple Watches.

Incidentally I think if you cut back on the notifications and some of the other goop you might be able to get a third day even without low power mode. And probably best to go "dark" on LTE in a marginal area.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Pretty much a 2-day watch for me, including using the sleep tracking and about an hour of high intensity indoor workout during that two day cycle. It's about 10 or 15 percent at the end of 48 hours. The only exception to that has been the disaster where a rogue $2 charge from a spammy app that Apple attempted to levy off a lost credit card badly disrupted my entire iCloud, and three hours of trying to fix (among other things) the Watch's loss of pairing with my AirTags and reinstalling everything took about a third of the battery.

We'll see if that holds up once I start doing some outdoor workouts on it, though that's mostly outsourced to my Garmin Edge 530. My 5-year-old Garmin Vivoactive 3 on the same use pattern is more of a three or four-day watch. I don't think I'd dig the daily charging on the smaller Apple Watches.

Incidentally I think if you cut back on the notifications and some of the other goop you might be able to get a third day even without low power mode. And probably best to go "dark" on LTE in a marginal area.

Are you not carrying a phone? I don’t have an LTE watch but I thought that if you had the phone nearby then it would use the phone‘s data via BT?

tivoboy

macrumors 601
May 15, 2005
Are you not carrying a phone? I don’t have an LTE watch but I thought that if you had the phone nearby then it would use the phone‘s data via BT?
Yes, it does. I get easily three days usage with LTE off, phone nearby when doing 3-4 hours of workouts across the 72 hours.

Reactions: Howard2k

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
You shouldn’t have to keep your charge level to anything. If you have optimized charging enabled it will do that automatically. Mine is still 100% from launch day.
Sheesh, it's enabled, and I've probably been doing myself a disservice by not charging 100%. Thanks for the tip -- I always read about keeping a charge between 40-80 or 20-90...but it sounds like optimized charging combats those effects anyway, and I'll be able to get additional time out of a single charge (reducing charge cycles).

Thanks for the tip!

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Sheesh, it's enabled, and I've probably been doing myself a disservice by not charging 100%. Thanks for the tip -- I always read about keeping a charge between 40-80 or 20-90...but it sounds like optimized charging combats those effects anyway, and I'll be able to get additional time out of a single charge (reducing charge cycles).

Thanks for the tip!
My understanding is optimized charging is for those who leave their watch on the charger overnight. Instead of charging immediately to 100% it will charge to 80% and then charge to 100% right before the user wakes up - so the battery spends less time at 100%.

Watch Batteries are extremely hardy - up till a few months ago, my original AW 3 was being used by family and lasting a day. Yes, charging 40-80 is helpful to the battery, and with the Ultra one can easily get away with this but ... I charge to 100% and enjoy not having to charge until 3+ days later. I'm on day 2 now and at 66% charge. This is why I wanted the Ultra. I sleep with my Ultra and wear it all the time except when I'm showering.

dstyp

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2015
Stockholm, Sweden
After getting the Ultra on release day it has finally "learned" and started utilizing the limit and charging to 80% all the time. I visited Apple in Cupertino for WWDC the other week and when I got back it started working so that seems to have done something. Maybe it is key to get the hardware close to HQ for it work right 😅

Now I can confidently throw it on the charger during the daily shower and it'll sit at 80%. Very nice!

Last edited:

tivoboy

macrumors 601
May 15, 2005
I was having some Ultra issues lately, mostly not getting the THREE days that I used to - which includes about 2 WO of about 45-60 min each.

I checked the battery health, and it’s down from 100% to 99%, so that doesn’t really seem like it should be doing this. I haven’t done any WOS updates yet to IOS 11 (or whatever it is) and haven’t made any other changes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.