Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
Me too - bench vice method worked for me, but I did practise on a couple of old Xeon CPUs to begin with so that I knew the tolerances and knew what it felt like before I attempted the procedure on my lovely X5680's.

I also searches for hours trying to find a delidding tool, with no luck. I was about to get my brother to make one on his 3D printer, but by then I had got up enough gumption to do it by vice (saved having to ship the CPUs to another city where my bro lives). If there was enough interest I could also get my retired father who is a precision machinist engineer to make some, but I haven't seen enough people saying they would buy one if it was available, so haven't asked him. Think of all the minions I could have earned by now!

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Yep, me too. Bench vice and it is very easy to do. Do not be discouraged, I was pleasantly surprised by how simple and risk free this method is.

Nessdufrat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
Between France and Switzerland
Seems like the guy didn't even consider my offer. Probably got other proposition from people able to come pick up the computer right away. The ad disappeared :( anyway, probably for the best.
While I'm at it, though...
I had troubles with my MacBook Pro (graphic chip) and I cloned the hard drives inside my Mac Pro. I would like for it to stay that way as I'm super lazy and I don't won't to reinstall everything.
Being super lazy, I also don't want to go through the whole reinstalling the graphic card driver for the Nvidia card. Is there a way to import it from the drive that already as it?
Right now I have two drives featuring El Capitan. One has the driver, one doesn't. I haven't started on the drive that doesn't feature the driver, for obvious reasons. My goal would be to clone the driver from the OS that has it to the OS that doesn't.
Is it even possible?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.