Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chargr

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Tomorrow I’m returning the 1TB M4 iPad I bought for my elderly mother. 1 hour trying to get it to verify her Apple ID, and another 1-2 hours of trying to help her over the phone. Did everything under the sun including changing her password multiple times and verifying we had it correct by logging in via browser. It’s provided nothing but unhappiness for both her and me. I can’t believe apple after all these years and product releases still makes it so damn hard for their customers to upgrade a device. It’s just unbelievable how stupid the migration process is. Had to erase and start the device over probably 20 times and still no dice. What a purchasing experience. Apple I am very disappointed in you all!
It is not that difficult, just back up her data in icloud then setup as new iPad. Everything will sync after she signs in with her apple ID except her apps. I don’t even use the migration quick setup option. Re-download everything start fresh and gets rid of any bugs that were on the previous device.

Norre8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2018
It is not that difficult, just back up her data in icloud then setup as new iPad. Everything will sync after she signs in with her apple ID except her apps. I don’t even use the migration quick setup option. Re-download everything start fresh and gets rid of any bugs that were on the previous device.
Yeah, it took me 5-7mins to get everything sync’s over.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Your mom’s situation is probably not that common.

I can’t remember the last time I had to enter my Apple ID password when setting up a device. I just do the Quick Start thing and that’s worked effortlessly for my last few upgrades.

I usually don’t setup right on release day though. Apple servers tend to be busy during those times.

Mine set up quite quick this year (UK). I bought both 11 and 13 models and they took about 40 minutes each.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Welp, I’m committed now. :cool:

IMG_3849.jpeg

David Knowles

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2020
Getting my trade in box on Monday.

I might go into an Apple Store this weekend and trade it in that way.

Now I’ll have a pencil that doesn’t work with anything…

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
My iPad will be here about 1500. What I find interesting is so often went I do this sort of thing I have second thoughts about the purchase, not with this iPad is just seems right.

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
Any movement on iPad Nano screen orders? I ordered later in the day of the presentation (13", black, nano, wifi/cell) and my date is week of 7/7. I was concerned about the potential negatives, but I am regularly annoyed by glare on my current pro 12.7 and glad I waited it out as others are happy.

I've been checking inventory to see if I could find it sooner, but even stores with inventory 1.5 hours away are now not available.

My order is 'processing'.

Reactions: kenny7

dturner123

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
alternatively you could spend that extra money and buy airpod pros 2? That model was my very first set of airpods and it changed my life.
I have AirPods Pro and AirPods Max. My MacBook Air sounds better than the iPad Air lol. The issue is that the air has two speakers and if I hold it in portrait, all the sound comes out the left side of the iPad. I’m used to my iPad Pro’s 4 speaker system.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Just got my return window for M4 11 extended to 30 days.

Big storm knocked out the power across a swath of the city, no power yesterday-today until ? so can’t really set up the iPP to evaluate it. Still going to trade in the Air 5, so I’ll definitely have one of the new models.

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Just set up ipp13 1TB, Standard Glass with APP.

Very nice upgrade over 2021 M1 ipp. Love the squeeze gesture and haptics on the APP.

Setup of iPad and transfer of SIM cell to e-SIM was absolutely seamless.

Good luck to those still waiting for the Nano glass!!

Norre8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2018
Anyone notice the delivery times for the 13in jumped to 3-4 weeks? Bought the 11, but it’s hard typing on the keyboard because of it’s small size

David Knowles

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2020
I went to a local Apple Store to trade in my old iPad.

They were unable to process it because they said their system is down. He said it was everywhere and it won’t be back up until tomorrow.

fhamadeh

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
San Mateo, CA

They were unable to process it because they said their system is down. He said it was everywhere and it won’t be back up until tomorrow.
Interesting. Been noticing that most in-store pick-up options show everything being available tomorrow. Wondering if Apple's having issues with its inventory system.

Aka757

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Houston

Had the same issue with processing a return. I tried to return an iPad, Magic Keyboard, and Smart Folio, and they were only able to process the Smart Folio return. They said because the other 2 have serial numbers the system couldn’t process it but to come back tomorrow.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Just set up ipp13 1TB, Standard Glass with APP.

Very nice upgrade over 2021 M1 ipp. Love the squeeze gesture and haptics on the APP.

Setup of iPad and transfer of SIM cell to e-SIM was absolutely seamless.

Good luck to those still waiting for the Nano glass!!
Look at me I went from a 2013 1Gen iPad Air to this 13 inch iPad Pro with 5 iPhones in between, I am on Apple Music right now. Each time a new track comes up from the playlist I gape and I go slack jawed looking at the album art.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Back to the WiFi or Cellular debate; I am away for 5 days and am just downloading some TV to watch offline (even though I’ll be able to tether my iPad to my iPhone). Have downloaded 4 TV shows, 4 movies and 4 documentaries. I know I won’t need that much to watch, it’s just nice to have just in case.

Anyway, the point of this post is, why would anyone need a cellular iPad? Is it just those who cannot (for any reason tether to their iPhone) or those who need to use their iPad in the middle of nowhere?

I get the feeling that it’s mostly the US who buy cellular? (in the UK here)

David Knowles

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2020
Interesting. Been noticing that most in-store pick-up options show everything being available tomorrow. Wondering if Apple's having issues with its inventory system.
I already had the new iPad. I was just turning in my old one instead of mailing it back in

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Back to the WiFi or Cellular debate; I am away for 5 days and am just downloading some TV to watch offline (even though I’ll be able to tether my iPad to my iPhone). Have downloaded 4 TV shows, 4 movies and 4 documentaries. I know I won’t need that much to watch, it’s just nice to have just in case.

Anyway, the point of this post is, why would anyone need a cellular iPad? Is it just those who cannot (for any reason tether to their iPhone) or those who need to use their iPad in the middle of nowhere?

Here is my reason. My regular DSL connection might be 12 mbps, Verzion has 5G mmw with it I can get 340+ mbps. I have an unlimited plan with Verizon so I am good to go there. I can switch back and forth as needed.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Convenience. How would you like it if your phone didn’t have cellular data and you had to connect to a mobile hotspot every time you needed to use the internet on your phone? I use the iPad so much that for me, an iPad without built-in cellular is like an iPhone without data.

Deprioritization. In the US, carriers often deprioritize hotspot traffic when the network is congested. In my location, it’s not unusual for hotspot to be so slow that it’s almost unusable while native cellular connection is still functional.

Flexibility. The last Airbnb we stayed at (PH) had super crappy wifi. It was pretty much unusable 99% of the time. It was nice having cellular on the iPad instead of having to tether to the phone 24/7 or buying a carrier locked 5G pocket wifi for $300.

That said, I find an eSIM-only iPad to be problematic for now.

Jbass121212

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2020
Here is my reason. My regular DSL connection might be 12 mbps, Verzion has 5G mmw with it I can get 340+ mbps. I have an unlimited plan with Verizon so I am good to go there. I can switch back and forth as needed.
Same for me. My home internet is garbage and is the only service available where I live unfortunately. With the new M4 not supporting all the mmWave bands I thought I may take a slight hit with speeds buts it’s actually quite a bit faster than my iPhone 15 pro max with all the bands. I’m always out band about and usually my hot spot is even slower and it’s not unlimited so the cellular is a must have for me. I’m with Verizon as well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.