Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Convenience. How would you like it if your phone didn’t have cellular data and you had to connect to a mobile hotspot every time you needed to use the internet on your phone? I use the iPad so much that for me, an iPad without built-in cellular is like an iPhone without data.

Deprioritization. In the US, carriers often deprioritize hotspot traffic when the network is congested. In my location, it’s not unusual for hotspot to be so slow that it’s almost unusable while native cellular connection is still functional.

Flexibility. The last Airbnb we stayed at (PH) had super crappy wifi. It was pretty much unusable 99% of the time. It was nice having cellular on the iPad instead of having to tether to the phone 24/7 or buying a carrier locked 5G pocket wifi for $300.

That said, I find an eSIM-only iPad to be problematic for now.

Ok. Fair point. But, if your iPhone doesn’t have cellular connection why would your iPad have?

Maybe different here in the UK but if my iPhone didn’t have cellular nor would my iPad.

I get unlimited data from my iPhone plan so just tether to iPad. I’m just trying to work out if you can’t connect to your iPhone why get cellular…

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Ok. Fair point. But, if your iPhone doesn’t have cellular connection why would your iPad have?

Maybe different here in the UK but if my iPhone didn’t have cellular nor would my iPad.

I get unlimited data from my iPhone plan so just tether to iPad. I’m just trying to work out if you can’t connect to your iPhone why get cellular…

What I’m trying to say is that an iPad without cellular to me would feel like what an iPhone without data feels like to others.

I use the iPad way more than the iPhone so to me, having always on data on the iPad is pretty important.

Just to give you an idea, my iPhone uses just 1GB per month on average. Meanwhile, the iPad uses 20GB or more.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

mtngal

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2015

I have a phone with one cell carrier and the iPad with a different one. It’s more expensive that way but I have often run into locations where I had a good signal with one but not the other (As well as locations where there’s no cell service at all).

When I had battery issues this winter with my M1 cellular IPP, I bought an iPad Air to tide me over until the new ones were released. I got a WiFi only one because I have Starlink and figured I didn’t really need cellular, it was a convenience left over from my pre-Starlink days. I got a big surprise when I got up the first morning I was camping in a rural area and discovered that my iPad Air was showing me the weather at my home-base, 160 miles away. Apple puts the GPS on the cellular chip, so the Air didn’t know where I was, and continued to have issues for a couple of weeks while I was traveling. I decided that was the last non-cellular iPad I was going to buy.

David Knowles

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2020
I went to another store trade in the iPad and I mentioned about the systems going down.

Turns out it was an all day planned outage so the store couldn’t do anything with an online order and customers couldn’t place an online order.

He said they were all shocked that they would plan an all day outage on a Saturday after a launch.

Stupidest thing I’ve ever heard

Reactions: dturner123

dturner123

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
I went to another store trade in the iPad and I mentioned about the systems going down.

Turns out it was an all day planned outage so the store couldn’t do anything with an online order and customers couldn’t place an online order.

He said they were all shocked that they would plan an all day outage on a Saturday after a launch.

Stupidest thing I’ve ever heard
Yeah. I was shocked too. I finally got to return my iPad Air today.

lermal

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2007
Florida
Got to my local Apple store today for pickup and got to see / play with the new iPads and switched my choice to the 11". I've had a 12.9" M1 since 2021, and the 11" size looked / felt better to me and with what I read about MoreSpace, I look forward to the smaller form factor. Specs:

11" iPad Pro, 1 TB, Silver, Standard Glass, Wifi + Cellular; Magic Keyboard (Black); Pencil Pro; AppleCare+

Welp, using the 11” lasted all of a few days - for me, it felt a bit too small, so I exchanged the 11” for the 13” (1 TB, Standard Glass, WiFi + Cellular).

Reactions: kitt9000

Tiber3m

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
Welp, using the 11” lasted all of a few days - for me, it felt a bit too small, so I exchanged the 11” for the 13” (1 TB, Standard Glass, WiFi + Cellular).
Me, too. The iPad 11 was just so small, I traded it in for the 13", except mine is just 256GB. Happy with the exchange.

Reactions: kitt9000 and lermal

Norre8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2018
Me, too. The iPad 11 was just so small, I traded it in for the 13", except mine is just 256GB. Happy with the exchange.
Debating. Giving the 11 the remainder of the week. Will trade in for the 13in this weekend if I decide it’s too small.

mciarlo

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
New York City
Ordered a 256gb 11“ Pro on May 18. Estimated delivery May 28-30. Hoping it arrives this weekend! This will replace a 2020 lockdown 12.9” Pro.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Same thing here for a 13” nano textured 2 TB: no movements so far.

Me too. Ordered 2TB 11-inch Nano with estimated delivery May 31 -June 7. No movement thus far. Apple usually under-promises and over-delivers with delivery dates, but I guess this time they may have been spot on. Hoping it will be delivered next week within the delivery window.

Reactions: infomofo and jazz1

kobefan234

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2008
My 13-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular 1TB with nano-texture glass—Space Black—has an estimated delivery date of June 14—June 21.

infomofo

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2022
Me too. Ordered 2TB 11-inch Nano with estimated delivery May 31 -June 7. No movement thus far. Apple usually under-promises and over-delivers with delivery dates, but I guess this time they may have been spot on. Hoping it will be delivered next week within the delivery window.
I've ordered the 1TB 11-inch Nano, Wi-Fi only, Space-Black. I ordered day 1, got the same shipping window as you, and my order is still in the earliest "Processing" phase. Oh, I also got Engraving, wondering if that delays things too.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I've ordered the 1TB 11-inch Nano, Wi-Fi only, Space-Black. I ordered day 1, got the same shipping window as you, and my order is still in the earliest "Processing" phase. Oh, I also got Engraving, wondering if that delays things too.

Mine has engraving too. I got the Pencil Pro engraved and it came on launch day though.

Reactions: infomofo

caoimhe

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
I ordered my husband’s 11” 1TB Nano when it was announced, still says June 7-14. I’ve told him often that Apple is always earlier than expected but it seems this time I‘m wrong!

Reactions: infomofo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.