Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fryfrkhlly

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Got my new case today! Makes me excited to go bigger again!
21e4d407730620077cf21b13bb53d1ea.jpg

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Ordered a new black iPhone 11 straight up from Apple this morning. That one should arrive 9/20. No issues.

Then, tried to do the online Tmobile $350 off trade-in offer but for some reason it kept rejecting my wife's iPhone 7 plus 128GB trade in. Went to the local store and the guy said we were only one of 5 upgrades the store sold since the announcement, and one was his. He processed the order for the green iPhone 11 128GB just fine. Had to pay $20 fee and $66 taxes on the phone. The estimated ship date is 9/25/2019-10/1/2019. Rep said he thought we'd get it on release day. I wasn't believing that, but I returned home to see it says it has shipped... go figure.

Anyhow, here's the question. I asked about buying AppleCare for the phone. He said that it came with Applecare and I don't need to buy it. That sounds like BS to me, so thought I'd ask here what the deal is. I'm guessing I need to buy Applecare from Apple when the phone arrives, but not sure why the guy would say it comes with it. I don't subscribe to any loss/damage insurance through Tmobile currently, but it made me think maybe it's required with this program or something? I don't see anything I signed indicating I am paying for it.

Are you paying $15 for the Protection 360 Tier 5? If so that already includes AppleCare+.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Some misinformation here.

#1. JOD leased phones DO NOT "come with" insurance. You need to insure with T-Mobile or Apple.
#2. T-Mobile DOES use Assurant for their insurance... but... T-Mobile's "Protection 360" comes with Applecare Services. So as long as you keep coverage through T-Mobile, you can take your phone to the Genius Bar for repairs (including $29 screen replacements). Assurant only comes into play if you need a replacement due to loss or theft.
#3. Choosing #2. Prevents you from subscribing to AppleCare + directly from Apple. I personally prefer to get Applecare + from Apple (monthly subscription). That way you can choose to include loss/theft coverage or not. I NEVER lose my phone. So on my XR, I only pay $7.99 for coverage. (Costs $9.99 for XS/XS Max). Or you can include the loss theft for $15. If you decide to switch carriers, you can keep the coverage because you are paying Apple directly. You'd lose AppleCare Services if you buy T-Mobile's insurance and later leave T-Mobile.

EDIT:
#4. I just read up on Apple's loss and theft coverage... it is also provided by Assurant.

nateatlarge

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Washington State
Some misinformation here.

#1. JOD leased phones DO NOT "come with" insurance. You need to insure with T-Mobile or Apple.
#2. T-Mobile DOES use Assurant for their insurance... but... T-Mobile's "Protection 360" comes with Applecare Services. So as long as you keep coverage through T-Mobile, you can take your phone to the Genius Bar for repairs (including $29 screen replacements). Assurant only comes into play if you need a replacement due to loss or theft.
#3. Choosing #2. Prevents you from subscribing to AppleCare + directly from Apple. I personally prefer to get Applecare + from Apple (monthly subscription). That way you can choose to include loss/theft coverage or not. I NEVER lose my phone. So on my XR, I only pay $7.99 for coverage. (Costs $9.99 for XS/XS Max). Or you can include the loss theft for $15. If you decide to switch carriers, you can keep the coverage because you are paying Apple directly. You'd lose AppleCare Services if you buy T-Mobile's insurance and later leave T-Mobile.

EDIT:
#4. I just read up on Apple's loss and theft coverage... it is also provided by Assurant.

Dead on!
[doublepost=1568512941][/doublepost]
It’s your Apple Christmas. Good for you. :)

I got the same case!

Reactions: fryfrkhlly

Kyletb21

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2019
I think I'm gonna go caseless this year for a while.. I'm buying AppleCare so if I ever have to use it maybe I'll be more careful :)

cswx

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
When does T-mobile usually start preparing phones to ship? Haven't received any tracking info yet but those in the Apple tracking thread have.

Reactions: midnightgreen

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
I just placed a pre-order for an iPhone 11 Black 64GB for my little brother to upgrade from his 7 Plus 32GB. This will be quite the upgrade.

I've thought long and hard about switching cell carriers for new iPhones but in the end my Simple Choice Unlimited (was 6GB plan previously but TMo upgraded my plan for free) for 4 lines at $120 per month was simply too hard to beat, especially if I needed to finance the phones.

I ordered an extra 2 iPhone 7s from eBay for the TMo trade-in promo and will upgrade both parents to iPhone 11 (they are using a 6s Plus and 6s). I need their phones to last at least another 4 years and I needed newer phones to take advantage of bands 66 and 71 for better cell coverage. I'll then trade their old phones to Apple for a gift card.

Last edited:

JackTwist

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2015
Yep. Or get in touch with the Office of the President.
I found TForce via Twitter and remembered I’d previously escalated to them 3 years ago when the phone rep didn’t actually place the iPhone 7 order despite signing the EIP, meaning I got bumped to an ETA of end of October. I remember they weren’t able to do much at that point. I don’t know if there is much value in escalating given the previous issue. Still frustrated that I had another issue with Jump and a potentially delayed arrival.

Last edited:

cswx

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
From what I remember, T-Mobile phones were shipped from within the US, so we didn’t have the detailed tracking like Apple. Apple have their orders shipped from China, so they can track the plane their phones were on.

Who does T-mobile ship with?

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Right now, I’m just waiting for the reviews to see how the reception is. If my job didn’t require me to have better reception, I would hold out until next year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.