Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
So you have a lot of time that you are willing to spend waiting around. And troubleshooting, when your 500GB airdrop transfer with hundreds of files eventually gives up the middle of it.

LOL! Well there's your problem. AirDrop isn't meant for transferring a half a TB of data at a time. The most I've ever transferred has been maybe 4GB (which worked fine, btw). While there is no stated limit from Apple on the transfer size for AirDrop, common sense would dictate that you're asking for trouble with 500GB.

I actually know of very few iphone users who also have a mac and use it to sync their iphone.

You had stated, "[AirDrop] also doesn't work across all macs. The mac has to run a current version of OSX and have a wifi adapter." That statement assumed someone had a Mac, but that it was too old. I'm saying I doubt that's most Mac users. In 2022, even a very used Mac is able to use AirDrop. We weren't discussing what percentage of iPhone users own a Mac to begin with, which is a completely different question.

Apparantly, you've been living under a rock then for decades.

Or perhaps I've simply not needed the solutions you need and therefore haven't had to look beyond the file transfer methods I've been using. Imagine that. You sound like anything other than an average user with your huge file transfer needs, and seem to be assuming everyone else should be (or is) just like you.

Last edited:

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
That's because Airdrop is neither fast ... nor reliable for everyone. Maybe some use cases differ and others are having better experiences. Maybe if sending smaller files it's fine, but when 3 people including you and myself in this thread alone have had issues with it with larger files? Plus add that to what other forum members have experienced, and some have given up on it altogether.

As I had mentioned, I used it to try to move virtual grand pianos (mainly 2-4 GB in size) and had issues. I've only used it once and a Month ago to a new machine. I had to restart transfers multiple times. I was only moving a few of them too. My WiFI connection is both fast and reliable. A friend of mine has constant issues with it as well, and he does video and photo work. Very tech savvy as well. Austin Mann who I cited has issues with it as well.

Simple Google searches can solve this for people. Even this one from 6 mos ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/applehelp/comments/un9rjb
EDIT: not sure why this is coming up as a photo or photo preview, I've tried inserting it as a URL link and just a general link and it keeps defaulting to that preview.

So assuming we're both telling the truth about our AirDrop experiences and assuming there's nothing the matter with our Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connections, what's your hypothesis for why you and others have issues transferring a couple GB of files with AirDrop and I and others never do?

Bento.Box

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2022
LOL! Well there's your problem. AirDrop isn't meant for transferring a half a TB of data at a time. The most I've ever transferred has been maybe 4GB (which worked fine, btw). While there is no stated limit from Apple on the transfer size for AirDrop, common sense would dictate that you're asking for trouble with 500GB.

It isn't? Half a TB is not much data in 2022. And it doesn't say that it is meant only for small amounts of data.
4GB is something that fits on a single layer DVD, a 90ies medium. If you buy a new single small 2.5" disk, it can store up to 5TB (maybe more, that's just the last one I bought).

It would be pretty natural to copy a few hundred GB of data to a brand new iphone 14+ Max pro TB Edition. Even the ipod classic had a 160GB storage back in the days and could play video.

You had stated, "[AirDrop] also doesn't work across all macs. The mac has to run a current version of OSX and have a wifi adapter." That statement assumed someone had a Mac, but that it was too old. I'm saying I doubt that's most Mac users. In 2022, even a very used Mac is able to use AirDrop. We weren't discussing what percentage of iPhone users own a Mac to begin with, which is a completely different question.

In 2021, I had a power G4 mac without a wifi adapter still in use, running a standard linux operating system.
No problem synchronising via CIFS, NFS (not used), Cloud (in this case owncloud) and rsync. Also iSCSI, but that was just experimental usage. But for some reason, airdrop was not an option.

But that aside, even if I create a linux VM on my 2021 MBP, airdrop doesn't work from within the VM. Nowadays, a huge amount of workloads are actually virtualized.

And of course, there is the NAS, the HTPC, the windows machine with itunes, maybe my friends android phone etc.

Or perhaps I've simply not needed the solutions you need and therefore haven't had to look beyond the file transfer methods I've been using. Imagine that. You sound like anything other than an average user with your huge file transfer needs, and seem to be assuming everyone else should be (or is) just like you.

Well, most people using computers had actually a need for exchanging data via network between computers for decades now. That's why we built networks and internetworks. If that is not you, that's ok.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
It isn't? Half a TB is not much data in 2022. And it doesn't say that it is meant only for small amounts of data.

It is for a wireless transfer, especially if it's the kind that you make on a regular basis. I promise you, the average user is not routinely needing to transfer 500GB of data at a time between two Apple devices, and if they are, they shouldn't be trying to use AirDrop for that unless they have no other choice (and then they should transfer it in much smaller chunks).

The remote access software I use doesn't specify a minimum amount of data I can transfer either, but common sense would lead me to not attempt to do large mass file transfers (like your 500GB example) from the remote computer to the client computer via their servers unless I have no other choice, as it takes forever compared to transferring it via USB from the source, and the probability of an error occurring during those hours of transfer time is much higher.

In 2021, I had a power G4 mac without a wifi adapter still in use, running a standard linux operating system.

And you seriously think the average Mac user in 2022 has that kind setup and that alone (no other, modern Macs)? Come on. You're clearly a more advanced user/enthusiast.

I have no idea why some users have issues using AirDrop for small file transfers IF their network is truly fine (which I doubt . . . or at least there’s some outside interference affecting the transfer beyond Apple’s control), but again, I've been using it for years with zero issues. I just don't think it's fair to attempt to use it for huge mass file transfers and then complain when something goes wrong. You're clearly pushing its limits at that point.

Last edited:

Bento.Box

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2022
It is for a wireless transfer, especially if it's the kind that you make on a regular basis.

Oh, but I thought it is "fast enough" and "more convenient" than just attaching a cable.
So there are downsides after all? Just like many people insisted?

The remote access software I use doesn't specify a minimum amount of data I can transfer either, but common sense would lead me to not attempt to do large mass file transfers (like your 500GB example) from the remote computer to the client computer via their servers unless I have no other choice, as it takes forever compared to transferring it via USB from the source, and the probability of an error occurring during those hours of transfer time is much higher.

I use mainly ssh for remote access and I don't have any issues transferring hundreds of GBs of data. Even without USB, on a Gbit Ethernet link it's not that fast, but it works. And even if there is a problem, I can easily resume with rsync (via ssh).
Has been working for decades, totally device independent. And of course, fully supported by apple.

So you use USB then. If you had the choice of copying 500GB via lightning or USB3/C, which one would you choose?

I have no idea why some users have issues using AirDrop for small file transfers IF their network is truly fine (which I doubt . . . or at least there’s some outside interference affecting the transfer beyond Apple’s control),

Wlan uses ISM bands (everybody can use them license-free) and the the 2.4Ghz band is also used by Microwaves to heat up food. Plenty of interference. Modern housing has thick walls with steel reinforced concrete that dampen and also reflect radio waves. On shorter wavelengths, the impact is more noticeable.

As I mentioned, especially in mobile devices, the antennas and chipsets are cheap.
In addition, Apple does have wireless issues, for example in the iphone 12 generation. I opened a ticket, offered them paket captures and other diagnostic data, they were not interested in fixing it. For a direct connection between two devices, they need to be in ad hoc mode or one has to be in ap and the other one in client mode. There are frequently issues with broadcasting the SSID or processing association requests. I stopped looking into it because the "turning it off and on again" usually works and since it's a closed system, there is not much I can fix anyway. But I guess that also causes part of the airdrop problems (as I mentioned I rarely use airdrop).
Edit: iphone 12 frequently also has wlan connectivity issues in client mode. Often when I unlock the phone I glimpse that it is not connected to the wifi and then it reconnects again - it's also my suspected reason why it drains the battery so quick when 5G mode is enabled (much more power hungry than wlan and actively used when wlan is not connected)

I also tried the (w)lan connection between itunes and the iphone, which was at some point advertised. It never worked, even though the phone and PC could see each other.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Oh, but I thought it is "fast enough" and "more convenient" than just attaching a cable.
So there are downsides after all? Just like many people insisted?

sigh... It IS "fast enough" and "more convenient" for the vast majority of user's routine needs, which does NOT include 500GB of files needing to be transferred. I'm not sure how after all these posts you still fail to see my point. You were attempting to use AirDrop for something it was not intended for (mass file transfers). Apple doesn't have to state a file size limit recommendation in writing for someone to be able to exercise common sense and not attempt such a huge transfer all at once.

So, in summary, AirDrop is a fast/convenient transfer method for smaller size transfers, and if from time to time you need to transfer a very large amount of data, then you should use a different method or transfer it via AirDrop in smaller chunks to avoid errors.

jaytv111

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
I remember I would set up my iPhones with WiFi point to point (one iPhone connects to the other) over WiFi, and it would take about 30 minutes or so. It’s a one time thing, or at least one time per each new iPhone (unless i have to restore it from backup). It’s not a crazy amount of time but if it could be sped up with a USB connection between them, then all the better. You can actually do that with Android, I set up my mom’s Android phone over USB cable (though the other Android phone had USB 2.0 so it was limited to the same speeds the iPhone is limited to, despite both of them being USB-C phones, only the new one was Superspeed).

I will say my favorite new thing is using Thunderbolt between PCs to transfer large files. I finally had a work computer with Thunderbolt transfer to a new computer with Thunderbolt. Took like 2-3 minutes to transfer over 100 GB, mostly VM disk images. In old times I used gigabit ethernet and it takes like 20+ minutes. Huge speedup, but not really applicable to an iPhone which probably won’t have Thunderbolt, unless Apple can jam the iPad’s Thunderbolt controller into the smaller iPhone.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I know everyone is riding on a high because top level Apple executives confirm that they have to comply with the new European law and switch the iPhone over to USB-C within the next two years, most likely in next year's iPhone 15 series.
But I’ve seen a lot of people make some assumptions about this change that I don't think are going to be quite accurate, and I think a lot of people are going to be in for a rude awakening when it happens.
SPEED
Let’s start by busting a myth, Lightning is not restricted to USB 2.0 speeds.
The iPhone is restricted to USB 2.0 speeds, Lightning is not.
The iPad Pro from 2017 had a Lightning port on it, and that Lightning port supported USB 3.0 speeds.
If Apple wanted the iPhone to have faster transfer speeds, they could’ve done it.
They could’ve done it in 2017 alongside the iPad, but they didn’t.
They could’ve did it when they introduced Pro-res and Raw support, but they didn’t.
They could’ve done it when they introduced 1TB iPhones, but they didn’t.
They could’ve done it when they introduced a 48 Megapixel camera, but they didn’t.

It’s not a restriction of the port, it’s a deliberate choice on Apple’s part to keep the iPhone at USB 2.0 transfer speeds.
In fact, this was proven just this week.
Apple introduced the tenth generation iPad.
It has a USB-C port.

And Wouldn’t you know it…
https://www.macrumors.com/2022/10/27/ipad-10-slower-usb-c-port/
That’s right, USB-C, but 2.0 transfer speeds.
And I absolutely expect the iPhone 15 to follow the trend.
Maybe, MAYBE the iPhone 15Pro and Pro Max, or just the Pro Max get slightly faster speeds.
But if you are expecting to get a new iPhone next year that goes from 2.0 speeds up to whatever the latest thunderbolt protocol is, I don't think that's going to happen.
Apple, for whatever dumb reason they have, thinks the transfer speed of the iPhone doesn’t need to go past 2.0.
I don’t agree, but I’m also not stupid.
I don’t think a forced port switch will change their minds.
Which brings us to another aspect…

CHARGING SPEEDS
The iPhone has slowly increased its charging speed, from 18W, to 20W, most recently to 27W.
I fully expect that to continue.
Anyone expecting the change to USB-C will force Apple to allow 35W, 45W, 60W+ charging I think will be very mistaken.
I fully expect them to keep the fast charging speed at 27W, or if there is an increase it will be very small.

COMPATIBILITY

Apple has this pop-up in iOS, it sounds a little something like this:

“This accessory cannot be verified.”

There’s more to it but you get the point.

I fully expect this pop-up to quickly become very common when people pick up their new iPhones, stick some $1.50 USB-C cable that came with some random gadget into their iPhone and it doesn’t like it.

I fully expect Apple to do everything in their power to make sure you are using their USB-C cables, and only their USB-C cables.

BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY WITH LIGHTNING PRODUCTS

I’ve already seen people predicting that Apple will ship a Lightning (male) to USB-C (female) adapter in the box of the iPhone 15.

THEY ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT!

They’ll be more than happy to sell you one for $10-20, but include one?

They didn’t do it when 30 pin became Lightning, they didn’t do it when the MacBooks switched from MagSafe 2 to USB-C, they didn’t do it with any of the iPads, they absolutely will not do it with the iPhone.

I wouldn’t even be surprised if by 2025 they just… don’t ship a cable at all.

The new Apple Siri Remote has USB-C, and guess what?

It does not come with a cable.

Other than all that, yeah it’s going to be a lot of fun. Can’t wait for the next three+ years of confusion.

Disclaimer

Although I disagree with governments getting involved in things like this, I do think Apple switching to USB-C on all of their devices is the right thing to do and will benefit everyone in the long run. I’ve just seen people runaway with theories about how great it will be, and wanted to give my perspective as a skeptic.
You know I think at the end of the day if you want the 14 pro don’t delay and expect high speed usb-c. Because apple can just gimp the speed which is possible. Maybe for something petty as to not cave in to indicate usb-c is better.

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
For most people, it seems, "new" is better. Age and experience will whip that notion out of them, especially when it comes to technology, where "advances" are done mostly in the name of profit. They have to pay all of those cubicle bobble-heads, after all, not to mention support the multi-million dollar overhead of management. So on behalf of them, I will say thank you for being ever eager to adopt new stuff and hand over your money. Keep working, now: you'll need to. Forever.

200w.gif

The USB-C connector is poorly designed. I have a notebook here that has difficulty keeping the USB-C cable in place, and the connector itself on all of my USB-C devices is hit-or-miss on providing a satisfying click upon insertion and actually withstanding some tug on the cord. I'm no fan of proprietary, but the Apple lightning connector is FAR better than USB-C.

Whoever came up with this USB-C design is an idiot--or a genius, depending upon where you are in the food chain.

But if you get angry at USB-C, don't worry. USB-D will be here to correct its ills, right about the time when you've finally switched over to USB-C.
A few things:

In a capitalist society ALL advances are done in the name of profit, in fact everything is done in the name of profit - it's the nature of the beast. No point singularly associating it to USB-C. Honestly your point here doesn't even make any sense. When carpenters come up with the new joints for tables that make them lighter and stronger, the advancement is hoped to be profit or they wouldn't bother to do it (or so the libertarian schools of economists say). I'm not actually a subscriber to capitalistic profit based ways of doing things, but its what we live under like it or not. USB-C is not really a profit deliverer as it's a universal standard and hence can be made by anyone with permission from no-one (if you want to use the USB-IF symbol on your product you can get it certified through the USB body but it's not mandatory) and for that reason some will try and compete to make cables cheaper than others.

USB-C as a transfer medium will annihilate lightning as it's still just rated at 480Mbps USB2 speeds. God knows what Apple will limit the speed to but it will certainly be faster than this. But lets dive deeper - VERY FEW people connect a phone to a USB cable to transfer data anymore because it has NEVER been fast - their home internet, work Wifi etc. will do it at around the same speed, back it up and 10 times more conveniently than connecting a cable. It's called iCloud sync and Files and it works surprisingly well.

To discuss the reliability of the adapter, yeah I have one device, my MBP 2016 where it's connection is not as tight as it is on other devices and yet it charges perfectly every time, transfers data wonderfully without fail, doesn't allow dusty ingress and because its not super tight it acts somewhat like a magsafe adapter as the cable detaches easily if someone inadvertently pulls on it. It's also still totally stable. Too much tightness might satisfy your sense of satisfaction that something fits well together but wait until your 4 year old runs across the living room and inadvertently pulls 1900€ of a computer to the ground. Lightning IS NOT a bad connector but still at least once every two months I have to stick a toothpick in the port to pull out the endless supply of lint, dust and other crap that gets stuck and prevents charging. That happens to NONE of my USB-C devices for some reason - maybe the central plate prevents it more.

USB-C is the first time USB has actually been good and standardisation and a single connector type that is cheap, universal across thousands of devices and becomes the beginning of the end of justifying OUTRAGEOUS walled garden proprietary connectors that are just over the top profit margin grabs (cables often sold at 800% markups and higher), so to your point about profit - the real profit goes to those who produce Lightning cables at outrageous Apple prices, the same cannot be said of USB-C.

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Although I disagree with governments getting involved in things like this, I do think Apple switching to USB-C on all of their devices is the right thing to do and will benefit everyone in the long run. I’ve just seen people runaway with theories about how great it will be, and wanted to give my perspective as a skeptic.
I don't see the issue with governments getting involved with things like this. We literally pay for them to exist and we vote for them to do these things in Europe AND we can recall them if they overstep their mark. I can't do any of those things with the board of Apple unless I have $700 billion invested in the company. The only reason capitalism works the way it does for us rather than absolutely obliterating us and the planet, is because of government regulating them and government is informed in theory by the will of the people (for example, minimum wages, regulation of environmental practice, workplace diversity, minimum conditions of work etc). Not sure where you're from but if you're from the US and the typical story is "government is bad, business is better alone, innovative and free" remember the only ones you can have control over is government, not business.

Reactions: akash.nu

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
I hope Apple makes a separate USB-C iPhone for the EU. I am sure I won’t be tinkering with a USB A car play connection in my 3-year-old 70K car. The car is pretty much the only place I connect my phone.
I spend 100-150 nights a year on the road, cables and USB 3.0 speeds have never been an issue. A wireless charging pad with a USB port does the trick to charge my phone and AirPods Pro wirelessly. The USB port keeps my AW6 charged. I like this setup on the road and do not worry about cables, except for my AW6.

I usually drive if the destination is under 4-5 hours in the post-Covid world. A 95W USB charger in the Car is good enough to keep MacBook Pro 16 M1 Max juiced up as needed. The car play port for the phone works great.

There will be a lot of pissed-off car play users if Apple moves to USB C. Most cars don’t have adequate space to put dongles. Last but not least, anecdotally, most folks who complain about carrying cables travel maybe a couple of times a year. Frequent travelers usually have a good set up to handle the travel.
I'm confused by your post and maybe I'm just missing something - the gist is: You hope for Apple to do a USB-C phone but your last line is a lot of CarPlay users will be pissed with a USB-C iPhone - why would that be? Because of old cables? Yes, they would have to probably get a USB-A to USB-C cable but that would be 10€ (probably less as well) and absolutely no need for dongles OR just a USB-A to USB-C adapter that stays permanently in the port. The transition is certainly a bit of a pain, like all transitions.

jaytv111

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
I'm confused by your post and maybe I'm just missing something - the gist is: You hope for Apple to do a USB-C phone but your last line is a lot of CarPlay users will be pissed with a USB-C iPhone - why would that be? Because of old cables? Yes, they would have to probably get a USB-A to USB-C cable but that would be 10€ (probably less as well) and absolutely no need for dongles OR just a USB-A to USB-C adapter that stays permanently in the port. The transition is certainly a bit of a pain, like all transitions.
Yeah, I thought that person implied you won’t see compatibility with Carplay with USB-C iPhones, but that won’t be the case, you just unplug the old Lightning cable, and plug in a USB-C cable (USB-C to USB-A). No big deal. They may be implying cars won’t work with this new cable, but that’s not true. It’s all USB 2.0 data, you can plug any type of USB cable in, the protocol works no matter what ports are at the end of it. Slight exception for miswired cables, which was a problem early on, might still be a problem if you buy cables from unreliable sources.

I even have Carplay working with USB-C, through a wireless adapter, it goes from USB-A in the car to USB-C on the adapter to wireless to the phone, it even has a passthrough mode and it can pass the wired connection to the phone if you plug the phone into the adapter (the adapter itself has a USB-A port, meant for charging but it can also passthrough data). There should be no reason a USB-C iPhone can’t work with cars with Carplay once you’ve plugged in a USB-C to USB-A cable, it’s all just USB data.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
Maybe it's just me but I don't remember transferring a file from my iphone in the last 5-6 years or so... the transfer speed doesn't matter to me. I just want to have a single cable type for all of my devices. In my household everything is USB-C except our iphones and airpods pro... (wife's ipad pro, kids ipad airs, 2 macbooks, nintendo switches, etc...) So really all i want is to be able to throw away those annoying lightning cables that I still have to keep around... Even my car has usb-c ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.