Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
imo lightning is not fine anymore and hasn't been fine for a while. It's 2022, they should've had a strategy when they switched other devices in their ecosystem to USB-C (iPad + Mac's). Of course, they would lose out on the sales of lightning accessories, but environmentally having two different cable standards is not fine. It has caused confusion amongst customers and lightning has created additional e-waste.

The vast array of incompatible USB-C cables with devices supporting various speeds charging etc. has been MORr of an ewaste issue I’ll wager.

Too many devices hard locked into a specific C cable. Now addd Tb4 cables not fully capable to work with simple USB-C ports. I’ve personally experienced this.

Stating Apple should’ve dropped Lightning because of a specific year is ridiculous. Just about every iPhone user most likely has continued to upgrade over the years so they get an extra cable for travel at work for the gym/etc. I see NO difference for Android users over almost the same 6-8yr time period either.

It does NOT affect the same user whom sticks to the same type of smartphone.

You wanna talk about eWaste?!
Look at all those user replaceable batteries, chargers with pin-holes of various sizes for the 100+ (slight exaggeration) of Nokia S40/S60 phones made since 2002-2013; globally!! They were THE phone king for a very long time and thing about that. They had phones in just about every price point from $60-$900US. You switched models then battery, charger would have to change too.

Transferring data over a slow medium Apple solved years ago with Wi-Fi. Even when android phones and users found it cool to use NFC to bump contacts LMAO!

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
USB3 for iPhone 15 (possibly Pro only)
USB4 for iPhone 16 (possibly Pro only)
USB2 for first eligible iPhone SE
We all know it's going to be like that.
Just remember it’s not until 2024 when the iPhone 16 launches that Apple will need to adhere to the EU law.

This law is so dumb. Stifles innovation for a smaller faster more unified forward thinking port which could easily supersede USB-C ! Worse how does Apple changing cables really help anyone without unifying a spec of all USB-C cables made and sold to work forwards and backwards compatible along with chipset firmware updates to match!???

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
I know everyone is riding on a high because top level Apple executives confirm that they have to comply with the new European law and switch the iPhone over to USB-C within the next two years, most likely in next year's iPhone 15 series.
But I’ve seen a lot of people make some assumptions about this change that I don't think are going to be quite accurate, and I think a lot of people are going to be in for a rude awakening when it happens.
SPEED
Let’s start by busting a myth, Lightning is not restricted to USB 2.0 speeds.
The iPhone is restricted to USB 2.0 speeds, Lightning is not.
The iPad Pro from 2017 had a Lightning port on it, and that Lightning port supported USB 3.0 speeds.
If Apple wanted the iPhone to have faster transfer speeds, they could’ve done it.
They could’ve done it in 2017 alongside the iPad, but they didn’t.
They could’ve did it when they introduced Pro-res and Raw support, but they didn’t.
They could’ve done it when they introduced 1TB iPhones, but they didn’t.
They could’ve done it when they introduced a 48 Megapixel camera, but they didn’t.

It’s not a restriction of the port, it’s a deliberate choice on Apple’s part to keep the iPhone at USB 2.0 transfer speeds.
In fact, this was proven just this week.
Apple introduced the tenth generation iPad.
It has a USB-C port.

And Wouldn’t you know it…
https://www.macrumors.com/2022/10/27/ipad-10-slower-usb-c-port/
That’s right, USB-C, but 2.0 transfer speeds.
And I absolutely expect the iPhone 15 to follow the trend.
Maybe, MAYBE the iPhone 15Pro and Pro Max, or just the Pro Max get slightly faster speeds.
But if you are expecting to get a new iPhone next year that goes from 2.0 speeds up to whatever the latest thunderbolt protocol is, I don't think that's going to happen.
Apple, for whatever dumb reason they have, thinks the transfer speed of the iPhone doesn’t need to go past 2.0.
I don’t agree, but I’m also not stupid.
I don’t think a forced port switch will change their minds.
Which brings us to another aspect…

CHARGING SPEEDS
The iPhone has slowly increased its charging speed, from 18W, to 20W, most recently to 27W.
I fully expect that to continue.
Anyone expecting the change to USB-C will force Apple to allow 35W, 45W, 60W+ charging I think will be very mistaken.
I fully expect them to keep the fast charging speed at 27W, or if there is an increase it will be very small.

COMPATIBILITY

Apple has this pop-up in iOS, it sounds a little something like this:

“This accessory cannot be verified.”

There’s more to it but you get the point.

I fully expect this pop-up to quickly become very common when people pick up their new iPhones, stick some $1.50 USB-C cable that came with some random gadget into their iPhone and it doesn’t like it.

I fully expect Apple to do everything in their power to make sure you are using their USB-C cables, and only their USB-C cables.

BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY WITH LIGHTNING PRODUCTS

I’ve already seen people predicting that Apple will ship a Lightning (male) to USB-C (female) adapter in the box of the iPhone 15.

THEY ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT!

They’ll be more than happy to sell you one for $10-20, but include one?

They didn’t do it when 30 pin became Lightning, they didn’t do it when the MacBooks switched from MagSafe 2 to USB-C, they didn’t do it with any of the iPads, they absolutely will not do it with the iPhone.

I wouldn’t even be surprised if by 2025 they just… don’t ship a cable at all.

The new Apple Siri Remote has USB-C, and guess what?

It does not come with a cable.

Other than all that, yeah it’s going to be a lot of fun. Can’t wait for the next three+ years of confusion.

Disclaimer

Although I disagree with governments getting involved in things like this, I do think Apple switching to USB-C on all of their devices is the right thing to do and will benefit everyone in the long run. I’ve just seen people runaway with theories about how great it will be, and wanted to give my perspective as a skeptic.
Well, thanks for the USB-C pep-talk. We’ll all rest easier now. 🤣🤣

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
I know everyone is riding on a high because top level Apple executives confirm that they have to comply with the new European law and switch the iPhone over to USB-C within the next two years, most likely in next year's iPhone 15 series.
But I’ve seen a lot of people make some assumptions about this change that I don't think are going to be quite accurate, and I think a lot of people are going to be in for a rude awakening when it happens.
SPEED
The iPad Pro from 2017 had a Lightning port on it, and that Lightning port supported USB 3.0 speeds.
If Apple wanted the iPhone to have faster transfer speeds, they could’ve done it.
They could’ve did it when they introduced Pro-res and Raw support, but they didn’t.
They could’ve done it when they introduced a 48 Megapixel camera, but they didn’t.

It’s not a restriction of the port, it’s a deliberate choice on Apple’s part to keep the iPhone at USB 2.0 transfer speeds.
It has a USB-C port.

Maybe, MAYBE the iPhone 15Pro and Pro Max, or just the Pro Max get slightly faster speeds.
But if you are expecting to get a new iPhone next year that goes from 2.0 speeds up to whatever the latest thunderbolt protocol is, I don't think that's going to happen.
Apple, for whatever dumb reason they have, thinks the transfer speed of the iPhone doesn’t need to go past 2.0.

CHARGING SPEEDS
The iPhone has slowly increased its charging speed, from 18W, to 20W, most recently to 27W.
Anyone expecting the change to USB-C will force Apple to allow 35W, 45W, 60W+ charging I think will be very mistaken.
I fully expect them to keep the fast charging speed at 27W, or if there is an increase it will be very small.

COMPATIBILITY

I fully expect this pop-up to quickly become very common when people pick up their new iPhones, stick some $1.50 USB-C cable that came with some random gadget into their iPhone and it doesn’t like it.

I fully expect Apple to do everything in their power to make sure you are using their USB-C cables, and only their USB-C cables.

I’ve already seen people predicting that Apple will ship a Lightning (male) to USB-C (female) adapter in the box of the iPhone 15.

They didn’t do it when 30 pin became Lightning, they didn’t do it when the MacBooks switched from MagSafe 2 to USB-C, they didn’t do it with any of the iPads, they absolutely will not do it with the iPhone.

Other than all that, yeah it’s going to be a lot of fun. Can’t wait for the next three+ years of confusion.

Disclaimer

Although I disagree with governments getting involved in things like this, I do think Apple switching to USB-C on all of their devices is the right thing to do and will benefit everyone in the long run. I’ve just seen people runaway with theories about how great it will be, and wanted to give my perspective as a skeptic.
P.S. Knowing Apple they will turn the USB-C speed into a differentiator for the Pro devices: iPhone 15 Pro, Pro Max, Ultra will get higher speeds. iPhone 15, 15 Plus not so much.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I don't have any extra usb-c cables. All the ones I have are in use. I have about 6 lightning cables around the house where I plug in my phone.

Don't get me wrong. I think the move to a standard connector is the right move. The argument that everyone has cables lying around is not valid. The argument that most people have cables lying around is presumptuous.

This is the same argument given to justify Apple dropping supplying the power brick. Again, that was the right move, but that particular argument was not valid. Many people offered themselves up as counterexamples.
Obviously, I don't know your situations. But the USB-C transition means you would also be able to charge the phone around the house. To me that sounds like the greatest win for consumers. You no longer need "six special cables just to plug your phone" because you can use whatever USB-C cables you use it for to charge all your devices.

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
Can we just get something straight right now?

USB-C is not USB 3.0.

USB-C is the connector type on the plug that is standardised across the board, hence eliminating the lightning port. It has nothing to do with the speed of the connection.

USB 2.x, 3.x, etc...defines the technology and the bus speed.

But, I am all for using USB-C ports as they provide more universal support across ALL my devices.

I'm also for Apple adopting USB 3.1 and upping their data transfer speeds, but that is entirely up to Apple. Using the USB-C standard connector means they will now be able to do it. (If they want).

Reactions: compwiz1202

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
This idea that a cheap USB-C cable will cause the iPhone to reject it is ridiculous, as I've used cheap lightning cables and had no problem. Also Lightning has never gone past USB 2.0 speeds other than a few adapters in some accessories on an iPad Pro that featured USB 3 speeds, due to how the cable was made. When you have billions of these cords out there built around the USB 2.0 spec, they just don't magically get faster with a software update lol.

The USB-C ports in the next iPhones likely will adopt faster transfer speeds just because the companies they'd be sourcing these cables from already make them in faster speeds for others, so it would be a strange and more expensive decision to make them USB 2.0. I'd also be surprised if we don't see some more significant speeds in the Pro and Pro MAX models, but I wouldn't put it past Apple to make it as confusing for no reason as possible

okkibs

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2022
USB-C doesn't guarantee faster transfer speed. Majority on Android are also on USB2.0 speed.
The only reason it doesn't is because Apple chooses to withhold it. The majority of Android phones don't sell for 1k+ USD. And the ones that are anywhere near Apple's price range, like a Pixel 7 Pro, they already have USB 3.2 with 10Gbps speeds. No manufacturer in their right mind would sell you a beast like a 14 Pro Max 1TB with USB 2.0 speeds, except Apple of course. Look, if the chip can do it, and the port can do it (lightning can do USB 3.0 speeds), what possible reason could you have to deny your customers that feature? Either it's intentionally crippled for no good reason whatsoever, or it's to save a few cents (even on a flagship device for that money) which is not a valid reason either.

Yes, compromises have to be made even on such a flagship device, the dynamic island is one of them and there is no perfect way of resolving it. They can't move the camera and avoid the notch without impacting the camera angle, and so on. But the connector isn't one of these things where providing faster speeds would compromise any other part of the phone.

I struggle to pull out my connectors. I guess defects can happen.
It's not a matter of you guess defects can happen, it happens to a lot of older USB-C Macbooks. I can't say whether the ports become loose due to aging or if it's because they are an early generation, but I had a 2020 Intel Macbook where the ports got loose as well, and as I mentioned I myself and a lot of people have 2016 Macbooks where the ports are all worn out or even outright defective.

And that's just Apple, I have an older BQ phone here that charges with one out of 3 cables, and only if you prop it up in just the right way. The USB-C port on the phone was used for charging daily and became loose just a year in. Warranty not applicable since the manufacturer no longer exists.

Again, I prefer USB-C overall and it's here to stay. But it does have longevity issues that can't be explained by saying it's a defect. These are design flaws. I am sure eventually that will be resolved, but for now we are stuck with older devices that have to be thrown out despite being used carefully and with no damage whatsoever, just because they can't be charged reliably anymore, or at all.

iPhones may not be as common as in the US in some European countries, but they’re not a rarity.
In countries where a new iPhone costs as much as half a year's average salary or even more, iPhones absolutely are a rarity. It's not just because of the differences in standard of living, but also because Apple products are -counterintuitively- even more expensive. When you have a single Apple reseller in your city they have to import the wares themselves, they will sell in much lower volumes, their cost of operation is much higher. And unless they have the already weak Euro they can have an even worse conversion rate to the local currency. For Apple products specifically it can be cheaper to buy from a big retailer in Germany and pay extra to have your package forwarded with a secondary service that ships it to your country.

it would be a strange and more expensive decision to make them USB 2.0
The USB-C cables that come with USB-C-only Macbooks are in fact limited to USB 2.0 speeds. The cable speed doesn't matter anyways when Apple limits the ports on the devices. Otherwise at least customers today would have the option to go out and buy a USB 3.0 accessoire for their latest Pro Max iPhone, if they really wanted the extra speed.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 601
Apr 13, 2010
In countries where a new iPhone costs as much as half a year's average salary or even more, iPhones absolutely are a rarity. It's not just because of the differences in standard of living, but also because Apple products are -counterintuitively- even more expensive. When you have a single Apple reseller in your city they have to import the wares themselves, they will sell in much lower volumes, their cost of operation is much higher. And unless they have the already weak Euro they can have an even worse conversion rate to the local currency. For Apple products specifically it can be cheaper to buy from a big retailer in Germany and pay extra to have your package forwarded with a secondary service that ships it to your country.
You know we have the internet over here, right? And iPhone don’t cost half of our yearly salaries. 😂 What are you on about? Are you sure you’re talking about Europe? You sound like just another American that has no clue about any of the world outside their own country.

teohyc

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Apple likes to hold back as much as possible when upgrading specs. What's new?

If they can increase the RAM of iPad by 500MB instead of 1GB, they would.

jcp007

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
Third Rock From the Sun
In 2023, iPhone 15 models have Promotion OLED from iPhone 13 Pro series and USB C as well as A16+ chip and 27w charging.

IPhone 15 Pro series, Pro and Ultra,USB C, 2nd generation AOD, smaller Dynamic Island, periscope camera, 5x telephoto, titanium frame A17 chip and 35w charging as well as reverse wireless are on the wish list. Magsafe charging spoed up to 27w would be great.

Next port a couple of years down the pike, Thunderbolt 4 and portless by 2026 with Magsafe or other data transfer capabilities by 2030. 10x optical zoom. True multi-tasking capacity. These are long-term hopes.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
In 2023, iPhone 15 models have Promotion OLED from iPhone 13 Pro series and USB C as well as A16+ chip and 27w charging.

IPhone 15 Pro series, Pro and Ultra,USB C, 2nd generation AOD, smaller Dynamic Island, periscope camera, 5x telephoto, titanium frame A17 chip and 35w charging as well as reverse wireless are on the wish list. Magsafe charging spoed up to 27w would be great.

Next port a couple of years down the pike, Thunderbolt 4 and portless by 2026 with Magsafe or other data transfer capabilities by 2030. 10x optical zoom. True multi-tasking capacity. These are long-term hopes.

Hang on, these are predictions or facts?

Xiaojohn

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2021
SPEED

It has a USB-C port.

CHARGING SPEEDS

COMPATIBILITY

Disclaimer

Can government enforce law to change all plug to 3-pin plug (UK)? Because it is more safe.

Also, EU should rule and change the driving side to left, so that it can match to UK driving system

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
I don't have any extra usb-c cables. All the ones I have are in use. I have about 6 lightning cables around the house where I plug in my phone.

Don't get me wrong. I think the move to a standard connector is the right move. The argument that everyone has cables lying around is not valid. The argument that most people have cables lying around is presumptuous.

This is the same argument given to justify Apple dropping supplying the power brick. Again, that was the right move, but that particular argument was not valid. Many people offered themselves up as counterexamples.
Speaking of power bricks, I’m packing up right now for a trip, bringing both my work phone (a Pixel) and my personal iPhone… I realized I can’t bring just a single charging brick, because my USB-C cable for charging the pixel is USB-C on both ends (my lightning and Apple Watch charging cables, obviously, are USB-A). Adapters and or new bricks will solve this problem, but it illustrates how new “stuff” will have to be purchased when Apple makes the switch… for better or worse.

jaytv111

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Speaking of power bricks, I’m packing up right now for a trip, bringing both my work phone (a Pixel) and my personal iPhone… I realized I can’t bring just a single charging brick, because my USB-C cable for charging the pixel is USB-C on both ends (my lightning and Apple Watch charging cables, obviously, are USB-A). Adapters and or new bricks will solve this problem, but it illustrates how new “stuff” will have to be purchased when Apple makes the switch… for better or worse.

If I were you I would upgrade the Watch and the phone to type-C cables (type-C to Lightning and type-C to Watch), unless you’re okay with slower charging and using a separate brick.

But ironically enough, the last statement of yours that new stuff will have to be purchased, for many people that won’t be the case. Assuming they do switch the iPhone to USB-C (not just drop the port entirely), lots of people already have a type-C MacBook or iPad or Android phone or Windows laptop, so for them it’s just a case of using their existing brick and cable for their other device. But of course if you needed to power more than one device, then you need to get multiport chargers, which I wish I saw more from Apple than just a measly 35 watt brick. I bought a Satechi 165 watt power adapter with 4 USB-C ports and I basically charge all my stuff at once at full power, including my MacBook Pro.

Bustycat

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2015
New Taipei, Taiwan
I wonder if anyone has a Lightning plug with some black spots on the 4th or 5th pin. This proves the largest limitation of Lightning— supplying power with only one pin instead of four pins on USB-C. That specific pin could decay much faster and charging would be very slow.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
But ironically enough, the last statement of yours that new stuff will have to be purchased, for many people that won’t be the case.

Have you seen any statistics to back that up? I suspect that vendors will see a ton of usb-c cable purchases, but I can't back that up.

jaytv111

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Have you seen any statistics to back that up? I suspect that vendors will see a ton of usb-c cable purchases, but I can't back that up.
I said “many people”, not “most” and I don’t know how many that will be. But there are many people who have bought type-C devices in the last few years. For instance, Samsung has had S series phones with type-C since the S8 in 2018. iPads are type-C since 2018. Macbooks since 2015.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
If I were you I would upgrade the Watch and the phone to type-C cables (type-C to Lightning and type-C to Watch), unless you’re okay with slower charging and using a separate brick.

But ironically enough, the last statement of yours that new stuff will have to be purchased, for many people that won’t be the case. Assuming they do switch the iPhone to USB-C (not just drop the port entirely), lots of people already have a type-C MacBook or iPad or Android phone or Windows laptop, so for them it’s just a case of using their existing brick and cable for their other device. But of course if you needed to power more than one device, then you need to get multiport chargers, which I wish I saw more from Apple than just a measly 35 watt brick. I bought a Satechi 165 watt power adapter with 4 USB-C ports and I basically charge all my stuff at once at full power, including my MacBook Pro.
Yeah, charging speeds don't matter to me for these items which charge overnight.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I do have a few USB-C cables set up (to charge laptop and work phone at my desk); but once the iPhones in our house are also USB-C, it's inevitable we'll have to buy a few more cables (for car and elsewhere). Not the end of the world, but there's no getting around it – one or two cables per household doesn't cut it.

jaytv111

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Yeah, charging speeds don't matter to me for these items which charge overnight.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I do have a few USB-C cables set up (to charge laptop and work phone at my desk); but once the iPhones in our house are also USB-C, it's inevitable we'll have to buy a few more cables (for car and elsewhere). Not the end of the world, but there's no getting around it – one or two cables per household doesn't cut it.
Unless the iPhone includes a USB-C cable. Which is a bit in the air right now (given the new remote doesn’t have a cable, that looks like their next move is to not include cables because they will say it’s all universal so no need to include cables).

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Unless the iPhone includes a USB-C cable. Which is a bit in the air right now (given the new remote doesn’t have a cable, that looks like their next move is to not include cables because they will say it’s all universal so no need to include cables).
True, but that gets back to my point about the charging bricks… all our current charging bricks are USB-A (so I guess that’s what I’ll have to replace)… blah blah

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Can we just get something straight right now?

USB-C is not USB 3.0.

USB-C is the connector type on the plug that is standardised across the board, hence eliminating the lightning port. It has nothing to do with the speed of the connection.
Yes, this an important fact and distinction.

I actually found this point to be made abundantly clear in the OP, but the length of it might have made that the unsimplified issue. It's been repeated throughout this thread by a few of us, but it's gotten muddied up somewhere along the way since this thread is up to 8 pages long now.

Last edited:
Reactions: beanbaguk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.