Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickMcCandless

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
I just bought the Samsung 28" UE590 monitor to use as a second display for my new MacBook Pro with TouchBar. This monitor has two HDMI ports and a DisplayPort so my first question is which technology is better to use? My understanding is they both support 4K @ 60Hz so curious which is better to use.

My second question is are there direct cables to go from USB-C to HDMI or DisplayPort or do I have to get one of those adapters?

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Not sure about display port cables, but for HDMI you're looking for something called USB-C Alt Mode. This is a direct USB-C to HDMI cable with no adapter. The standard was only announced a couple months ago so there aren't any retail cables available yet. Expect to see some in the next couple of months.

NickMcCandless

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
I need to buy this cable now so is there anywhere or any way I can purchase a direct USB-C to HDMI or USB-C to DisplayPort,

Which would be better, HDMI or DisplayPort?

powerocool

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I bought the Apple USB-C AV Multiport Adapter ($49), since it powers the MacBook and has a USB-A port. So all I have to do to dock to my work/play station is just 1 cable.
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter?fnode=8b

I also added an Anker USB hub ($9.99) to have 4 extra USB-A ports.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Ultra-...-20&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=anker+usb+hub&psc=1

I think HDMI is more versatile as you can use it with not only monitors but many TVs in case you need to play a movie on the TV.

ip67

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
You will want to use DisplayPort instead of HDMI if you want to go 4K at 60Hz (why wouldn't you?) due to DisplayPort offering a better refresh rate, as most monitors don't have HDMI v2.0.

Reactions: Baldrake

NickMcCandless

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
You will want to use DisplayPort instead of HDMI if you want to go 4K at 60Hz (why wouldn't you?) due to DisplayPort offering a better refresh rate, as most monitors don't have HDMI v2.0.
The monitor I ordered does have HDMI 2.0 so they are essentially the same correct?
[doublepost=1480048642][/doublepost]Has anyone seen any USB-C to HDMI cables, not adapters?

ip67

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
The monitor I ordered does have HDMI 2.0 so they are essentially the same correct?
[doublepost=1480048642][/doublepost]Has anyone seen any USB-C to HDMI cables, not adapters?

I would try this: https://www.amazon.com/Club3D-Type-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YFTQWC5PX9C7MQ5Y96F7

only if you're set on sticking with HDMI, otherwise DisplayPort won't require an active cable adapter like that one.

It's worth noting that the adapter I linked to above will not do 4:4:4 10 bit RGB color at 4K 60Hz, so I would just get a DisplayPort cable.

Last edited:

TazmoStarkana

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2016
Hey what company makes really nice USB-C to USB-A cables as well as USB-C to USB-C? Quality clean cables that come in sizes from 1ft to 1.5ft to 3ft? Any suggestions?

NickMcCandless

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Ok so now that its clear that DisplayPort is the way to go, any direct USB-C to DisplayPort cables you guys can recommend?
[doublepost=1480067346][/doublepost]I have looked on MonoPrice and checked that Plugable cable but they are not available for order. I am needing one within the next couple days.

Macintosh IIcx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2014
Denmark
Ok so now that its clear that DisplayPort is the way to go, any direct USB-C to DisplayPort cables you guys can recommend?
[doublepost=1480067346][/doublepost]I have looked on MonoPrice and checked that Plugable cable but they are not available for order. I am needing one within the next couple days.

Hi, I have just bought a StarTech USB-C to DisplayPort cable that works nicely with my MBP "15 and Samsung SA850T. Please note that my display only supports 2560 x 1440 pixel resolution, so it is not tested with 4K, but otherwise it has just been plug and play, and it was the only cable I could find as I was in a hurry too. :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1480072649][/doublepost]This is the one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E9RTEI8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_V4boyb6Q59HY8

Reactions: radus

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

Just to be clear on this - the monitor, cable/adapter, and computer would all have to support HDMI 2.0. Right now there are very few HDMI 2.0 adapters out there, and the HDMI alt mode that will allow for usb-c to HDMI cables only supports 1.4b despite being finalized only in September 2016. You are right to get a displayport cable.

radus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2009
[QUOTE="StarTech USB-C to DisplayPort cable that works nicely with my MBP "15 [/QUOTE]

It also works with my DELL UP3214Q.

Reactions: Macintosh IIcx

Kafou33

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2016
Canada
Hi, I sometime connect my old macbook to a 4k TV with a mini-displayport to hdmi dongle. With the new macbook pro is it better to buy a USB-C to hdmi or a USB-C to mini-displayport that I connect on my Mini-displayport to HDMI. I know that the last one mean one more dongle but if I have a better image this way why not.

Thanks

NickMcCandless

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Hi, I have just bought a StarTech USB-C to DisplayPort cable that works nicely with my MBP "15 and Samsung SA850T. Please note that my display only supports 2560 x 1440 pixel resolution, so it is not tested with 4K, but otherwise it has just been plug and play, and it was the only cable I could find as I was in a hurry too. :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1480072649][/doublepost]This is the one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E9RTEI8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_V4boyb6Q59HY8
I just bought it! Crazy they only have a few left too! Why are these so hard to come across and get?

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Generally speaking, HDMI is for TV's and DisplayPort is for computers. That's kind of where they both went, DP was better for resolution, HDMI could transmit audio and CEC. However I think that's all a bit different with HDMI2.0.

I'd still choose DP for a computer if you're using it to permanently connect to a monitor, as it has built in cable retention which is nice (HDMI always feels a bit loose). However, HDMI is a bit more versatile and can come in handy every now and again if you need to hook up to a TV for a presentation or anything, so it is useful to have if you only had one choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.