Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
1. Your right, no such drive it’s an 850Pro

2. I’ve been trying with either the recovery partition and internet recovery.

3. I’m using the ssd as a replacement for the original hdd, it’s the only drive connected via the standard SATA connector. Just now I have nothing connected to the pcie connector (I doesn’t have the flex cable fitted! But I was considering it if needed).

4. Yes the disc shows up and is formatted to APFS.

5. It downloads the battery instal files which takes an age (I gues if. Download the install files and created a thumb drive it would start much quicker). I stumbled across an install log (can’t remeber how) where it documented what wa going on. It extracts the files prepares the install and then just before it starts the install it said something about querying the drive id, it gets no response. Tries a couple of time and the says can’t be installed on this drive? Thing is it was working - I had updated from previous os versions but it would periodically crash which was annoying so I thought I’d do a fresh install incase it was a corrupted file. Since then I can’t get it to take the install? I’m sure I once got it to take a restore from time machine but the random crashing was still there?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. As an FYI the drive works fine with Snow Leopard (the only other os I tall I have) so I don’t know if it’s something to do with Mojave of the new APFS. Samsung say the drive is APFS compliant. I’m at a loss as to why this won’t work! And I hate being beaten.

Cheers,
Kenny

It doesn't need the PCIe cable fitted.

First I would make a Mojave install Thumb Drive. Much faster and easier.

Once booted to the installer start Disk Utility, goto view and select show all devices.

Use Disk Utility to re-format the drive to FAT32. (The top most disk icon)

This will wipe out the container and the APFS format, just to be sure it's a clean format.

Then re-format the drive to APFS.

Then while still in Disk Utility use disk first aid (on all 3 disk icons) to see if it sees any problem with the drive.

Cross your fingers and install Mojave ! Let me know how it goes....

Woohoo2002

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2018
West Lothian, Scotland
It doesn't need the PCIe cable fitted.

First I would make a Mojave install Thumb Drive. Much faster and easier.

Once booted to the installer start Disk Utility, goto view and select show all devices.

Use Disk Utility to re-format the drive to FAT32. (The top most disk icon)

This will wipe out the container and the APFS format, just to be sure it's a clean format.

Then re-format the drive to APFS.

Then while still in Disk Utility use disk first aid (on all 3 disk icons) to see if it sees any problem with the drive.

Cross your fingers and install Mojave ! Let me know how it goes....

Hi Dr Stealth,

Before I got your reply i've been busy and managed to get Mojave installed. I managed to get hold of a Sierra install file. I used that to get the system up and running and then updated it to Mojave. I can at least now use the ssd. It boots super quick but so far today it's crashed twice. Both times the error report says something along these lines:

*** Panic Report ***

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff800ee29c41): "vm_compressor_pager_put: out of range"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-4903.221.2/osfmk/vm/vm_compressor_pager.c:738

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address

0xffffff801ab53bc0 : 0xffffff800edaca9d

0xffffff801ab53c10 : 0xffffff800eee6893

0xffffff801ab53c50 : 0xffffff800eed82ba

0xffffff801ab53cc0 : 0xffffff800ed59ca0

0xffffff801ab53ce0 : 0xffffff800edac4b7

0xffffff801ab53e00 : 0xffffff800edac303

0xffffff801ab53e70 : 0xffffff800ee29c41

0xffffff801ab53ec0 : 0xffffff800ee64b69

0xffffff801ab53f00 : 0xffffff800ee647e4

0xffffff801ab53fa0 : 0xffffff800ed590ce

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Does that mean anything to you?

This was why i tried to do a fresh install previously. It seems to me that something somewhere isn't playing nicely with something else, I just don't know what it is or how to fix it.

If you can shed any light it'd be appreciated.

Kenny

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
If you can shed any light it'd be appreciated.

Kenny

Here's what I'm thinking. The SSD is a few years old. It may need just a firmware update, especially for Mojave.

Updating the firmware is very easy in windows as they have a slick tool called Samsung Magician.

This is the easiest way to update the firmware but if you don't have access to a windows machine it's not too bad to do on a mac. Here's how on a Mac.

Download the latest 850 Pro firmware. I put on my server here: 850 Pro FIRMWARE

Format a thumb drive like this: (it can be a small thumb drive files are only 30MB)

Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 7.18.47 AM.png

Copy the files from the firmware folder to the thumb drive. It should look like this:

Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 7.20.32 AM.png

With the thumb drive connected Boot your mac holding Option and select the disk that says EFI.

This will start the firmware update program. It's Linux and DOS based so it looks pretty crude on a Mac. =P

Let me know how the update goes. It may say an update is not required. Or it may say it needs to be updated. Continue and update if possible. Report back ! =)

Last edited:

sergio_prado

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2018
For anyone interested, i installed a Intel 600P SSD on my mac mini 2014 and everything works great on my triple boot Mojave+Windows+Ubuntu. The cheapest SSD compatible.

Reactions: warp9

Malkie0831

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2017
UK
I have just added an Intel 760p 512 GByte NVMe SSD to my 2014 Mac mini (1.4GHz i5, 4 GByte Ram, originally 500GB 5400rpm HD). I bought the drive for less than £100 in a 'Black Friday' deal.

Like the OP I bought the "12+16" adaptor and the PCIe Flex Cable on eBay.

I used a M2 x 5mm screw, adding a fibre insulation washer and then a 2mm steel washer to secure the SSD.

I have ordered the correct screw from a company called 'The Backyard' and they list the SSD Flex Cable securing plate on their web site, though it is currently out of stock.

I already had a 1 TByte Crucial MX500 drive in the 2.5" bay, but was tempted by the chance to use the NVMe bay and it has worked very well. The Intel 760p is the boot disc, the Crucial SAT3 drive is now for data.

In Blackmagic I see the following Write/Read speeds:
713.1/756.0 for the Intel 760p
462.4/507.6 for the Crucial MX500

In AJA System Test Lite I see the following Write/Read speeds:
722/755 for the Intel 760p
468/499 for the Crucial MX500.

Of course the Intel could do better if it had a 4 lane bus, but that isn't really the point. I have maximised the storage bus on the Mac mini for the boot drive, and have a nice, fast SSD to store my music and pictures.

PS, my mini was running macOS Mojave before I started all this so had native support for NVMe drives.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

Woohoo2002

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2018
West Lothian, Scotland
Here's what I'm thinking. The SSD is a few years old. It may need just a firmware update, especially for Mojave.

Updating the firmware is very easy in windows as they have a slick tool called Samsung Magician.

This is the easiest way to update the firmware but if you don't have access to a windows machine it's not too bad to do on a mac. Here's how on a Mac.

Download the latest 850 Pro firmware. I put on my server here: 850 Pro FIRMWARE

Format a thumb drive like this: (it can be a small thumb drive files are only 30MB)

View attachment 802107

Copy the files from the firmware folder to the thumb drive. It should look like this:

View attachment 802108

With the thumb drive connected Boot your mac holding Option and select the disk that says EFI.

This will start the firmware update program. It's Linux and DOS based so it looks pretty crude on a Mac. =P

Let me know how the update goes. It may say an update is not required. Or it may say it needs to be updated. Continue and update if possible. Report back ! =)
Hi Dr Stealth,

Sorry for the lateness of the reply. I think I finally cracked it? My SSD was apparently up to date! So it wasn’t hard that. After many more hours spend googling and reading reviews and write ups and even pestering Apple I found out that all Apple ssd’s have TRIM enabled, my 3rd party ssd doesn’t. So I formatted the drive again, did a fresh Sierra install, used the “force trim enable” command and then upgraded to Mojave again. Migrated my information from my Time Machine backups and hey presto all is well.

After 5 months of use it’s still working faultlessly without a crash or a hang since. I don’t know what was the magic remedy but it worked.

Thanks for your help along the way.

Kenny.

alexffff

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2017
Hello!

I have MacMini Late 2014 with HDD drive with El Capitan.
I bought SSD Samsung Evo 970 M2 and NGFF Adapter.
I have added patch-nvme by RehabMan. After that Mac showed my SSD.
I tried to erase it with DiskUtility, but had an error:
Code:
diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ UntitledUFS /dev/disk0

Started erase on disk0
Unmounting disk
Error: -69825: Wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed
I tried to format it using fdisk and had success:
Code:
sudo fdisk -f boothfs /dev/disk0

sudo fdisk -i -a boothfs /dev/disk0
diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                         250.1 GB   disk0
   1:                 Apple_Boot                         8.4 MB     disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS                         250.1 GB   disk0s2

After that DiskUtility had the same error.

How can I format it to HFS with GUID partition scheme?

What should I do next to install El Capitan on SSD?
I think it will be some problems with installation because new instance of El Capitan on ssd won't have patched kext. How can I solve this problem?

I know that everything will be ease if I install High Sierra, but I need El Capitan.

Last edited:

Max_12

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2019
Hello!

I have MacMini Late 2014 with HDD drive with El Capitan.
I bought SSD Samsung Evo 970 M2 and NGFF Adapter.
I have added patch-nvme by RehabMan. After that Mac showed my SSD.
I tried to erase it with DiskUtility, but had an error:
Code:
diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ UntitledUFS /dev/disk0

Started erase on disk0
Unmounting disk
Error: -69825: Wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed
I tried to format it using fdisk and had success:
Code:
sudo fdisk -f boothfs /dev/disk0

sudo fdisk -i -a boothfs /dev/disk0
diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                         250.1 GB   disk0
   1:                 Apple_Boot                         8.4 MB     disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS                         250.1 GB   disk0s2

After that DiskUtility had the same error.

How can I format it to HFS with GUID partition scheme?

What should I do next to install El Capitan on SSD?
I think it will be some problems with installation because new instance of El Capitan on ssd won't have patched kext. How can I solve this problem?

I know that everything will be ease if I install High Sierra, but I need El Capitan.

Hi Alex, I think is a problem of OS X version. The support for NVMe drive start by Sierra/High-Sierra. You can search if there’s some kext used for Hackintosh.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Hi Alex, I think is a problem of OS X version. The support for NVMe drive start by Sierra/High-Sierra. You can search if there’s some kext used for Hackintosh.

The poster started another thread on this topic. NVMe support was available in El Capitan. The "patch-nvme by RehabMan" that the poster mentions is a patch of a driver used for Hackintosh builds and I pretty sure it's working for the poster in some fashion otherwise the SSD wouldn't appear as a device (I know this from first-hand experience). As mentioned in the other thread, the most common issue for people with -69825 error that I see on the web is a bad SATA cable in the 2012 and earlier non-Retina MBP's. So my best guess would be the adapter or possibly the cable although I've never heard of these cables having the same type of problems that the MBP's had. To me, because there's different things that could be or could go wrong, I suggested just using a SATA SSD (external or internal) if they want to run El Capitan.

phoenix-mac-user

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
I don't want to start a new thread so I am going to post this here. I recently took a Patriot Burst 480 GB SSD that I was running externally via USB 3.0 and moved it internal and since the move I have seen my read/write speeds reduce significantly when testing with Blackmagic. I did not reinstall the OS, but my write speeds are really low.37-41 MBs when I was getting in the 300 range while using USB 3.0.

Anyone know why that would be?

I figured I would get better performance moving the drive inside the mini and don't know why it is slower.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
I just want to note that there is some question about whether Samsung's new 970 series SSD, the EVO Plus, works with Mojave. If not, it's a firmware issue that will probably be resolved soon.

Last edited:

treekram

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
I don't want to start a new thread so I am going to post this here. I recently took a Patriot Burst 480 GB SSD that I was running externally via USB 3.0 and moved it internal and since the move I have seen my read/write speeds reduce significantly when testing with Blackmagic. I did not reinstall the OS, but my write speeds are really low.37-41 MBs when I was getting in the 300 range while using USB 3.0.

Anyone know why that would be?

I figured I would get better performance moving the drive inside the mini and don't know why it is slower.

What I see on the Patriot website is that the Burst SSD is a SATA 2.5" drive. Is that correct or do you have an PCIE m.2 NVMe SSD (it's a little larger than a stick of gum)? If you do have a SATA 2.5" drive, this thread deals with the PCIE m.2 NVMe SSD.

If you do a PCIE m.2 NVMe SSD, I would a appreciate you posting a link to the Patriot website which shows the technical information.

If you have a SATA drive check to make sure that you select the correct drive when running Blackmagic. It's the File-> Select Target Drive menu selection. If this is not the issue, which year Mini do you have - I'm presuming 2012 or 2014 because 2012 was the first year that USB 3 was available. If you indeed have a 2012 Mini, you can try swapping the position of the drives and in either the case of the 2012 or 2014 you can check to make sure the cable is properly connected. I haven't heard of cable issues (like the 2012 and earlier non-Retina MacBook Pro's) with the Mini SATA cable but I suppose it's possible. If none of these work or you want a better answer (because opening up and working with the drives is a pain and maybe there are other possible answers), you should start a new thread as again, this thread deals with a different type of drive.
[doublepost=1551408323][/doublepost]
I just want to note that there is some question about whether Samsung's new 970 series SSD, the EVO Plus, works with Mojave. If not, it's a firmware issue that will probably be resolved soon.

As I mentioned earlier, this poster started another thread and I answered there. I did ask the poster if they had the Evo 970 plus or not. The poster has not responded. I don't know if this poster will respond and they respond, to which thread they will respond but the other thread is:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/problem-installing-os-x-on-ssd-nvme.2171530/

Last edited:

Max_12

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2019
Hi All, I have try to install NVme Drive Kingston A1000 256gb with adapter and flexcable PCIe but this don't appear in the system info list (NVME section).
Exist successful installation reported for this drive?

Attachments

• IMG_0F813BCBEB96-1.jpeg
    IMG_0F813BCBEB96-1.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 268

treekram

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Hi All, I have try to install NVme Drive Kingston A1000 256gb with adapter and flexcable PCIe but this don't appear in the system info list (NVME section).
Exist successful installation reported for this drive?

What OS are you running? It should appear if you are using High Sierra or Mojave. If you have High Sierra or Mojave and it doesn't, there's probably a problem with the installation (cable connector not secured, bad cable, bad adapter, etc.). If you have an OS below High Sierra, post which OS you have.

Max_12

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2019
What OS are you running? It should appear if you are using High Sierra or Mojave. If you have High Sierra or Mojave and it doesn't, there's probably a problem with the installation (cable connector not secured, bad cable, bad adapter, etc.). If you have an OS below High Sierra, post which OS you have.
Thanks for answer. I run Mojave os.
I can try with another adapter (the suggested syntech).
I’m waiting for that.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Thanks for answer. I run Mojave os.
I can try with another adapter (the suggested syntech).
I’m waiting for that.
The Kingston A1000 is known to work with the MBP models that use PCIe SSD's with the adapter with High Sierra or Mojave. So try the Sintech. Also - did you buy the A1000 new or used? I'm asking because if you bought it used perhaps the configuration of the A1000 was changed which may make a difference.

Max_12

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2019
The Kingston A1000 is known to work with the MBP models that use PCIe SSD's with the adapter with High Sierra or Mojave. So try the Sintech. Also - did you buy the A1000 new or used? I'm asking because if you bought it used perhaps the configuration of the A1000 was changed which may make a difference.

The Kingston was my previous ssd on my pc (windows). Before remove that I’ve deleted all partition and make them like new. There’s some problem if there’s no properly new?

treekram

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
The Kingston was my previous ssd on my pc (windows). Before remove that I’ve deleted all partition and make them like new. There’s some problem if there’s no properly new?

The Kingston A1000 and K1000 have software which can configure the SSD. I was wondering if there was some configuration option that would make it not work in the Mini. To use this configuration software, you would have to download it from Kingston and possibly create a bootable USB in order to run the software. People using the A1000 and K1000 in Macs running High Sierra and Mojave don't have a problem using the SSD's as it comes from the factory. So if you bought it new and haven't reconfigured it then you shouldn't have to worry about this as a possible reason why your A1000 isn't working in the Mini. Having it used in a PC running Windows previously should not be a problem.

Max_12

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2019
The Kingston A1000 and K1000 have software which can configure the SSD. I was wondering if there was some configuration option that would make it not work in the Mini. To use this configuration software, you would have to download it from Kingston and possibly create a bootable USB in order to run the software. People using the A1000 and K1000 in Macs running High Sierra and Mojave don't have a problem using the SSD's as it comes from the factory. So if you bought it new and haven't reconfigured it then you shouldn't have to worry about this as a possible reason why your A1000 isn't working in the Mini. Having it used in a PC running Windows previously should not be a problem.

I haven’t change any configuration. I think I’ve bought fault cable/adapter.. :(

Max_12

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2019
I haven’t change any configuration. I think I’ve bought fault cable/adapter.. :(
I have see Kingston web page and I’ve found the tool for manage SSD drive. In description is reported the capability of upgrading firmware. It’s possible that my ssd have obsolete firmware ?

treekram

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI

If you haven't changed the configuration and it was working in Windows, then the most likely reason it doesn't appear on the Mini is something to do with the adapter or cable - try the new adapter when you get it and if that doesn't work, make sure all the connections fit properly and securely. Also make sure you have a proper screw securing the SSD.

Max_12

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2019
If you haven't changed the configuration and it was working in Windows, then the most likely reason it doesn't appear on the Mini is something to do with the adapter or cable - try the new adapter when you get it and if that doesn't work, make sure all the connections fit properly and securely. Also make sure you have a proper screw securing the SSD.
Thanks treekram! I wait new adapter and cable.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
I have see Kingston web page and I’ve found the tool for manage SSD drive. In description is reported the capability of upgrading firmware. It’s possible that my ssd have obsolete firmware ?

The last firmware update for the A1000 was in May 15, 2018. It looks like an important update. You should apply the update if your SSD is not up to date but keep in mind that updating firmware has risks and you need to decide if you want to update or not. If it is inconvenient to put the SSD back in the Windows PC, you can wait for your adapter and cable to see if it works. If the A1000 then works in the Mini, the firmware version should appear in System Information app. If you do need to update the firmware, it appears you need to use a Windows PC to do it - which you said you have. The ability to only update SSD firmware with Windows is common.

I have not seen anything on the web which indicates that the firmware is the reason why your SSD doesn't appear on the Mini, however, Kingston says the firmware update "fixed (the) PCI Vendor ID and Device ID Setting" which could be important so I wouldn't rule it out. If the A1000 doesn't work with the new adapter and cable, I think the next step would be to put it in your Windows PC and see if it has the latest firmware update version or not.

Max_12

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2019
The last firmware update for the A1000 was in May 15, 2018. It looks like an important update. You should apply the update if your SSD is not up to date but keep in mind that updating firmware has risks and you need to decide if you want to update or not. If it is inconvenient to put the SSD back in the Windows PC, you can wait for your adapter and cable to see if it works. If the A1000 then works in the Mini, the firmware version should appear in System Information app. If you do need to update the firmware, it appears you need to use a Windows PC to do it - which you said you have. The ability to only update SSD firmware with Windows is common.

I have not seen anything on the web which indicates that the firmware is the reason why your SSD doesn't appear on the Mini, however, Kingston says the firmware update "fixed (the) PCI Vendor ID and Device ID Setting" which could be important so I wouldn't rule it out. If the A1000 doesn't work with the new adapter and cable, I think the next step would be to put it in your Windows PC and see if it has the latest firmware update version or not.

Thanks treekram! I Update post when I try new adapter/cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.