Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

External monitor VRR flickering on macOS - are you affected?

• No

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Yes (Apple Silicon - FreeSync)

Votes: 43 55.1%
  • Yes (Apple Silicon - GSync)

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • Yes (Intel / AMD - FreeSync)

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Yes (Intel / AMD - GSync)

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I have a Benq PD2700U monitor that is neither freesynch or Gsynch capable. I get with my M1 Mini flicker at times. I may set the monitor to 60 hertz but somehow on its own it shifts to "40-60" rather than "60." I use a direct USB-C to mini-DisplayPort.

This started happening before with Monterey and now with the beta program as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 1.46.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 1.46.33 PM.png
    152.7 KB · Views: 298

rlf613

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
Incredible, after I had the shutdown issue with my 2013 MBP that Apple never acknowledged despite thousands of reports around the internet of it I thought it was an isolated incident. Now Apple won't even acknowledge or fix this issue which is relatively easy I assume (just persist the VRR off).

pgharavi

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2004
I have an LG C1 connected to my M1 2021 - I don't even get an option for VRR, despite the C1 supporting it.

Anyone know why that may be the case?

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
Just checked the state of Variable Refresh Rate on macOS 12.4 Developer Beta 1. Guess what.... still not fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:

DianaofThemiscyra

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2022
Europe
I have a Benq PD2700U monitor that is neither freesynch or Gsynch capable. I get with my M1 Mini flicker at times. I may set the monitor to 60 hertz but somehow on its own it shifts to "40-60" rather than "60." I use a direct USB-C to mini-DisplayPort.

This started happening before with Monterey and now with the beta program as well.
Neither is my Philips PHL276E6, although it indeed let me choose among 3 modes (Standard, Internet, Gaming), In all three of them I have flickering with Monterey too. (Apple Silicon).

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
Monitors don't need to be FreeSync or GSync capable in order to utilize VRR. VRR is also implemented in recent HDMI and DisplayPort specs, so your screens (@phrehdd @DianaofThemiscyra) might just support that.

If macOS displays a "Variable" option in the display refresh rate drop-down, it recognized that your screen does support some kind of VRR.

Reactions: DianaofThemiscyra

DianaofThemiscyra

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2022
Europe
Monitors don't need to be FreeSync or GSync capable in order to utilize VRR. VRR is also implemented in recent HDMI and DisplayPort specs, so your screens (@phrehdd @DianaofThemiscyra) might just support that.

If macOS displays a "Variable" option in the display refresh rate drop-down, it recognized that your screen does support some kind of VRR.
Thanks for the info! It doesn't show this "variable" option in the display refresh rate drop-down. It shows as options either 50 or 60 Hertz, nothing more.

DianaofThemiscyra

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2022
Europe
In this case, your flicker is caused by something else and not by Apple's faulty VRR implementation.
Thanks for this info as well! I have no idea what it can be. I'm using the monitor through the HDMI port. The cable used is of good quality. I tried all modes possible, but somehow the flickering always comes back.

DianaofThemiscyra

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2022
Europe
Editing the plists files solved it by a couple of hours. Then, it came back.

Turning the Black Stabiliser seems to be working here. It's located under Game Settings on my LG display.
I don't have those options on my Philips. I'll try to send an e-mail to Apple AND Philips and see what happens.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008

I had MacOS before and it did not have the flicker issue nor did my monitor offer a variable rate. This is something of the last few months and on an M1 Mini. In fact, my monitor does not have a 40 at any level but goes from 60 to 50 to 30... This is something on the Mac side.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 2.48.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 2.48.54 PM.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: DianaofThemiscyra

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
Support for Variable Refresh Rate has been introduced on Monterey. macOS did not support it before. If you set your screen to a fixed refresh rate, the flicker should disappear.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Support for Variable Refresh Rate has been introduced on Monterey. macOS did not support it before. If you set your screen to a fixed refresh rate, the flicker should disappear.
I set my monitor to 60 at least 5 times a day and then it sneaks back over to 40-60 on its own. There is nothing I can do about it other than manually switch it back. I know when it happens as my screen is flickery and seems not quite as bright.

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I would like to say that the "turn Black Stabilizer off" has solved the issue so far on my LG 32UN500.

No need to re-edit the plists files anymore. No flickering neither!

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I set my monitor to 60 at least 5 times a day and then it sneaks back over to 40-60 on its own. There is nothing I can do about it other than manually switch it back. I know when it happens as my screen is flickery and seems not quite as bright.

Have you tried disabling it on your monitor menus?

In LG's it will be called FreeSync*.* under Games Settings.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Have you tried disabling it on your monitor menus?

In LG's it will be called FreeSync*.* under Games Settings.
Here is the catch. This is a monitor that has a spec of exactly 60hz. It is not a variable monitor. There is no Freesynch nor the alternative variable rate for gaming etc. Just - 60 hz. That is why it is very odd this happens. It didn't happen before the M1 / Monterey.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.