Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think of 10.11.6?

• No difference

Votes: 32 42.1%
  • Positive difference

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • Negative difference

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Steve wouldn't have done this

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Bricked my Mac

• 16GB storage

• More like Tim CROOK, ami rite?

• I call it El 'Crapitan' because rhyming is witty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I miss skeuomorphism so will always hate it

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Really impressed with it after installing. Everything seems smoother. One of the most noticable things was on 10.11.5 & earlier builds, the cursor would freeze straight after coming out of sleep mode and the machine would be completely unresponsive for about 10 seconds (15" 2012 cMBP, SSD). Even with hard disk sleep disabled and sleep mode disabled.

On the new build, it wakes immediately and is responsive without any real issues.

Really, really impressed with it. Count me a happy Mac user! What are your thoughts? :)

Reactions: orbital~debris

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I don't see any difference here. My system is working fine on 10.11.6, just as it was on earlier versions (knock on wood).

As long as it's working fine, that's the main thing! It's not like 10.11.5 was a particular dog on my machine, but really noticable things like freezing after wake have now been resolved. So count me a happier Mac user.

Logic projects with loads of plugins seem to load a little quicker as well, but I'm not sure if that's just placebo. ;)

Reactions: orbital~debris

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
As mentioned in another thread; Some Photo's albums randomly got messed up, Safari is not working anymore at all. Terrible and ridiculous.

Edit: Fixed the Safari crash issue; moved Safari.plist to the desktop, opened and closed Safari, then moved the .plist back and everything worked again.

Last edited:
Reactions: keysofanxiety

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2016
No difference here, still getting beachballs/hangs on my imac and it always seems to be when I have Safari open.

I have just switched to Chrome browser to see if that helps, if I stop getting the problems I can then be fairly sure it was Safari causing the issues.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Is anyone's Magic Mouse gestures still dying randomly? Specifically the safari and finder swipe to go back and forward. The only way to make them work is to restart or put it to sleep and wake it up.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Safari seems snappier.

Amazing!! Couldn't be happier to see this comment. Thank you so much. :)

cheering-gif.gif

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
I didn't have any problems before or after updating. The update (combo) went off without a hitch. : -) Regarding Safari (unfortunately not my default) -- I tried it before and after updating and it might be snappier. Hard to tell, it's always been the quicker browser for me.

Early report -- looks that Apple's crew did a good job with this one.

bent christian

Suspended
Nov 5, 2015
The newest update has been fine for me. 10.11.5 gave my system better memory usage, idling at about 2.30GB used, which is better than my iMac running Mavericks (~2.60GB), but worse than Windows 7 (~1.60GB). I haven't noticed anything different about 10.11.6.

Last edited:

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
It totally messed up my firewire external drive. It won't mount and if it does mount, it disconnects randomly. That's what I use for time machine since USB 2 is rather slow. The drive works fine with USB and it can boot off of the external drive when plugged into firewire. So clearly it's something in the OS that messes it up. Worked fine in all version of OS X up until 10.11.6.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
It totally messed up my firewire external drive. It won't mount and if it does mount, it disconnects randomly. That's what I use for time machine since USB 2 is rather slow. The drive works fine with USB and it can boot off of the external drive when plugged into firewire. So clearly it's something in the OS that messes it up. Worked fine in all version of OS X up until 10.11.6.

I'm sorry to hear that and hope it gets fixed. Have you restored a 10.11.5 TM backup yet?
[doublepost=1469039436][/doublepost]
No difference here, still getting beachballs/hangs on my imac and it always seems to be when I have Safari open.

I have just switched to Chrome browser to see if that helps, if I stop getting the problems I can then be fairly sure it was Safari causing the issues.

Do you have an SSD or Fusion drive? 5400RPM drives will just beachball constantly with minimal usage... 10.9 upwards really doesn't sing on spinning platters. :(

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012

Been testing El Cap on my mid 2009 MBP that stays at home, no issue mounting Firewire as backup or boot yet with the update 10.11.6 . Will let you know if that changes.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I'm getting excellent battery life from it, a consistent 20-30mins better than 10.11.5 on a full charge, goes for nearly 6hrs web-based work for instance.

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2016
Do you have an SSD or Fusion drive? 5400RPM drives will just beachball constantly with minimal usage... 10.9 upwards really doesn't sing on spinning platters. :(

Nope mine is a late 2013 iMac with 512gb SSD, Im not even running much on my iMac, only really use it for basic stuff. its the only thing that is annoying me and it all seemed to start after EL cap 10.11.4

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hi, constant beachballs since I upgraded El Capitan after Yosemite. Safari and Mail are the culprits. Need to restart the iMac with the rear button. I must say that El Capitan sits on an external SSD drive. I have kept Mountain Lion on the Fusion Drive in case 1- I didn't like the look and feel of Yosemite, 2-there were problems. Since the day I bought my iMac in 2013, ML never failed, never crashed, never choked while Yosemite and El Capitan have on multiple occasions. The SSD thing? Possible but I doubt it. Plus, only Chrome and Word as a non Apple app are used with El Capitan.

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
Strange that peeps are having probs. I've ran El Cap since public beta and never had anything go wrong, albeit that was on a clean install. When I tried to update from Yosemite to El Cap, my MBP was slow and beach-balling like crazy.

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2016
Hi, constant beachballs since I upgraded El Capitan after Yosemite. Safari and Mail are the culprits. Need to restart the iMac with the rear button. I must say that El Capitan sits on an external SSD drive. I have kept Mountain Lion on the Fusion Drive in case 1- I didn't like the look and feel of Yosemite, 2-there were problems. Since the day I bought my iMac in 2013, ML never failed, never crashed, never choked while Yosemite and El Capitan have on multiple occasions. The SSD thing? Possible but I doubt it. Plus, only Chrome and Word as a non Apple app are used with El Capitan.

Pretty much same problem here, when my iMac hangs with beachball its always while Im using Safari I also have Apple mail always open in the dock.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
My machine, a 2008 MacBook Pro with an SSD and 8 GB of memory, seems snappier. I am happy. I did the combo upadte this time.

Has anyone noticed a difference in the fonts? For example, in mail? I notice it in Chrome too, but I think that's a Chrome thing. Anyone?

damezumari

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2014
Seems to work on my laptops (haven't used much), but encountered complete USB 3 system R.I.P. stall on my Mac Pro 2013; not really happy, I guess I will restart it and hope it was just a transient anomaly. If not, time to look up the time machine backup and go 10.11.5.. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.