Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think of 10.11.6?

• No difference

Votes: 32 42.1%
  • Positive difference

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • Negative difference

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Steve wouldn't have done this

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Bricked my Mac

• 16GB storage

• More like Tim CROOK, ami rite?

• I call it El 'Crapitan' because rhyming is witty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I miss skeuomorphism so will always hate it

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
seems to be the same except for one minor problem
Screen saver options.jpg

Reactions: keysofanxiety

brewmonkey

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2016
After installing the 10.11.6 combo update, several apps on the Dock were missing, but were easy just put back on there. Aside from that, I can't tell any difference (aside from knowing lots of security issues were updated/fixed, which is good).

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
My machine, a 2008 MacBook Pro with an SSD and 8 GB of memory, seems snappier. I am happy. I did the combo upadte this time.

Has anyone noticed a difference in the fonts? For example, in mail? I notice it in Chrome too, but I think that's a Chrome thing. Anyone?
Is that an Early or Late '08 MBP? I have an Early '08 and the track pad freezes a lot on El Cap up through .5; haven't tried .6 yet so interested if it now works on my machine.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Interestingly, Disk Utility works better now (sort of). Coming from .3 to this new .6 (I upgraded just to see if Disk Utility was better since I needed to do some formatting) now allows me to erase a Windows formatted External Disk and format it for OS X. It took 2 tries for each disk but each time the 2nd attempt completed the task.

It's still annoying but at least I didn't have to use a 3rd party utility to get it done.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
Is that an Early or Late '08 MBP? I have an Early '08 and the track pad freezes a lot on El Cap up through .5; haven't tried .6 yet so interested if it now works on my machine.

Mine is a late 2008. Sorry...

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
10.11.6 seems to be as stable as any release of the OS that I've previously seen or used.

Even the beta releases ran fine.

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
Onething I will miss when the time comes is the matte screen; sure wish Apple would stop with the glossy screens.
If and when you get a new Mac, you can purchase a "screen protector" to put on that will give you the matte finish (kind of like you would put on an iPhone). I've had one in my late 2011 MBP since I bought it and works great.

KenaiAndrews

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2014
Toronto, Canada
I was getting a lot of beachballs lately on Safari and when I needed to use finder to open a file on 10.11.5. Since installing 10.11.6, those problems seem to have disappeared and overall, seems snappier. Running an early 2011 17-inch Macbook Pro with 2.3, 8GB, stock HD.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Thanks to everybody for your continued feedback! Always interesting to read your thoughts. To those with any hiccups following the install, I hope they get resolved soon. :)

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I have mavericks installed on an external hd and sometimes boot it up. When I was using Yosemite I really missed how quick Mavericks was. For me El Capitan is now on par with Mavericks performance. Hopefully Sierra won't be a step backwards on my MBP.

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
Over a week testing El Cap on a MBP mid 2009. I do not see any difference in launching apps or the UI speed wise, safari seems a little faster at first then eventually slows down a little if not refresh with a re-boot.

UI is not as blindingly bright as Yosemite, which is a good thing.

Some glitchy stuff though with spikes in CPU activity even at idle and spotlight turned off - CPU jumps from3 % at idle to over 50% in spikes every minute or so. If MBP is set to *more performance* in energy saver prefs, the MBP runs 10 degrees C hotter.

Other things I have noticed, shut down is twice as long, dock won't show in some re-starts / reboot.

More aggravating is disc utility looks useless - very un-intuitive, no perms repairs, no raid support., so I use the old Yosemite disc utility in El Cap trick. But since I run that machine with two SSD's in raid 0 (backed to cloud and external) - impossible to configure that in El Cap as no raid support affects SIP which cannot be disabled in a Raid 0 set up - Option reboot will not work.

So to enable the Yosemite disc Util. to work in El Cap, I had to install El Cap on an exterior drive and disable SIP , configure the customizations I wanted, then restored to the internal raid start up discs.

Not really bowled over by El Cap, I like Yosemite better..perhaps because it took me quite a while to get Yosemite to behave finally, and is less restrictive OS wise.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Over a week testing El Cap on a MBP mid 2009. I do not see any difference in launching apps or the UI speed wise, safari seems a little faster at first then eventually slows down a little if not refresh with a re-boot.

UI is not as blindingly bright as Yosemite, which is a good thing.

Some glitchy stuff though with spikes in CPU activity even at idle and spotlight turned off - CPU jumps from3 % at idle to over 50% in spikes every minute or so. If MBP is set to *more performance* in energy saver prefs, the MBP runs 10 degrees C hotter.

Other things I have noticed, shut down is twice as long, dock won't show in some re-starts / reboot.

More aggravating is disc utility looks useless - very un-intuitive, no perms repairs, no raid support., so I use the old Yosemite disc utility in El Cap trick. But since I run that machine with two SSD's in raid 0 (backed to cloud and external) - impossible to configure that in El Cap as no raid support affects SIP which cannot be disabled in a Raid 0 set up - Option reboot will not work.

So to enable the Yosemite disc Util. to work in El Cap, I had to install El Cap on an exterior drive and disable SIP , configure the customizations I wanted, then restored to the internal raid start up discs.

Not really bowled over by El Cap, I like Yosemite better..perhaps because it took me quite a while to get Yosemite to behave finally, and is less restrictive OS wise.
Because of SIP, 'Repair Permissions' is now obsolete, as you can no longer modify the files it used to repair.

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
Because of SIP, 'Repair Permissions' is now obsolete, as you can no longer modify the files it used to repair.

I understand, unless SIP is disabled, which is what I prefer, as I don't feel the need for Apple to lock down my system files as a "security measure".

Last edited:

neversink

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
I am very hesitant to upgrade. I am still running 10.11.4 on my MBP 2014.... Heard such horror stories about 10.11.5 that I have decided to remain with this slightly older version. Thoughts?

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I am very hesitant to upgrade. I am still running 10.11.4 on my MBP 2014.... Heard such horror stories about 10.11.5 that I have decided to remain with this slightly older version. Thoughts?
I stayed at 10.11.3 until this one. Needed disk utility to work at all so I upgraded this time. So far so good. 10.11.6 seems good so far.

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
The best thing to do is try it for yourself.

Make a clone of your current system using Carbon Copy Cloner. Then update your internal drive and give it a test run. If it works for you, cool. If not, you can always revert back to the clone you made before the update and pick up where you left off.

NOTE that any files created after the update will need to be backed up before reverting to the clone.

Easy peazy. Backups are your friend

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2013
Oh no my install got stuck on 12 mins remaining.... MBP 2010, previous 10.11.5

Had to reboot. Holding shift down fore safe mode but getting stuck at about 80%.

Screen flashing back every few seconds.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Oh no my install got stuck on 12 mins remaining.... MBP 2010, previous 10.11.5

Had to reboot. Holding shift down fore safe mode but getting stuck at about 80%.

Screen flashing back every few seconds.

13" or 15"? Which GPU do you have?

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2013
13" or 15"? Which GPU do you have?

I've instigated a remote re-install seems to have restarted the upgrade and looks to be progressing further than before but it's very slow... It's a 13" c2d.

Not being an i5 or i7 model explains the speed. I'll have to consult Everymac to check the GPU.

Edit Update GPU:

NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

Last edited:

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2013
Good news. Booted into Recovery and carried out re-install to a successful conclusion.

No issue along the way but it took many many hours over night hooked to the net. All things so far so good. Haven't checked out ports yet but just happy to have the machine back up and running. I do have Carbon Copy Clones of primary machines. So I wasn't worried but I didn't think the drive needed to be clone back over though that might have taken less time in the end or the same.

This is the first time I've ever had a upgrade fail or freeze on any Mac so reliable have all system been to date. I really wasn't too sure what to do and it turned out it's not that complicated. I'm truly impressed with the recovery path and stability of the recovery options so thanks Steve & Woz and all those at Apple since time began.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I've instigated a remote re-install seems to have restarted the upgrade and looks to be progressing further than before but it's very slow... It's a 13" c2d.

Not being an i5 or i7 model explains the speed. I'll have to consult Everymac to check the GPU.

Edit Update GPU:

NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

Not sure if you've got an SSD already but it would be worth considering if not -- makes the old C2Ds run like butter :)

Reactions: DCIFRTHS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.