Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think of iOS 10?

• It's great! Much better than iOS 9.

Votes: 95 52.2%
  • It's okay. I prefer some things, dislike others.

Votes: 48 26.4%
  • Don't like it. Wish I stuck to iOS 9.

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • Overall, better. But it's not that great, keys. Easy on the iOS 10 love.

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • Scott Forstall. That is all.

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • I hate it. I want iPhone OS 1, where I can't copy and paste.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I moved to Android ages ago, but I'll chime in nonetheless

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steve would never have done this.

• I struggle with polls, so I'm just going to vote for this one.

• I opted to buy a Note 7 instead. It's blisteringly good.

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Well, I'm on an older iPhone 5S. Just updated today. First hands-on experience with the new OS.

Apps open quicker. Safari seems snappier (for real). Big ol' buttons on the Music app for easy scrubbing and volume control. Thank goodness.

Can't make heads nor tails of the messaging app, though that's more a liveware issue than anything else.

Pleasantly surprised and overall very happy.

So... what do you guys think?

Reactions: jebrennan

ThreeD

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
It takes longer to come back to the home screen while pushing the home button (iPhone 6s, 9.5.3 before ) which is a bit annoying.

Anything else looks cool for now. Will update when I feel and spot new advantages or bugs...

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Im on iPhone 6s and i couldn't be more happy ! Everything is great :)

Yeah, I'm surprised how comparatively stable this is to other iOS releases.

I do think Apple's QA is largely better now than it ever has been. Especially considering how many devices there are, it's always an impossible task to get a perfect release. Plus people are waiting for the slightest slip up to fuel Apple=doomed comments.

ISRMafia

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2016
Israel

I do think Apple's QA is largely better now than it ever has been. Especially considering how many devices there are, it's always an impossible task to get a perfect release. Plus people are waiting for the slightest slip up to fuel Apple=doomed comments.

I was one of the affected people that got their iPhone bricked cause OTA , But i dont care much about it ,Just downloaded from iTunes and now its working overwhelmingly great.This release is perfect for me and i love especially all the new 3D Touch Features ! Also Thinking about moving to iMessage now instead of Whatsapp . This is indeed one of the most stable releases if not the most stable among all.I just love every aspect of it , it feels really great . Good job Apple

Reactions: keysofanxiety

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Loving iOS 10... I was having an issue with iOS 9.3.5 on my 6s (some weird lag issue) and ended up jumping onto iOS 10 at beta 8 and as a result was able to upgrade to the GM release last week (Note the GM release is identical to today's iOS 10 public release). It has been awesome... Not that my phone ever felt slow with iOS 9, but it feels even faster with iOS 10 and I've had no issues at all. This may be the first time I haven't regretted being an early adopter with new iOS versions (the mess that was iOS 8 right up until iOS 8.3 made me want to drop Apple altogether)...

cola79

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
In my SE Safari and the System have little stutter.

But at all it works ok.

Wondered at first why the fonts looked bad, but the update increased my font size to maximum on its own.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I absolutely hate it. As an iPod touch (which still has a 4" screen) user, it's clear this update benefits iOS users with larger screens and TouchID.

As for me, I get stuck scrolling through awkwardly large menus, get to look at really small album artwork on my lock screen, and have slid to unlock a few dozen times today only to be brought to the widgets screen to the left.

Raise-to-Wake is also not enabled on the iPod touch, so every time I want to use it, I home button press, home button press again, and type in my passcode. But I can't double press the home button then type my passcode—there's a delay of unknown duration.

I used to just press the home button in my pocket, swipe as I was raising the device, and enter the passcode when prompted. I'll get used to the delay and eventually stop swiping to the right immediately, but it'll always be slower. Ugh. Blargh.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
This isn't like me, I'm usually an enthusiastic adopter of new ios's, but - I don't like this one, for a few reasons.

Firstly the lock screen on my iPad Air. I don't like the layout, admittedly that's a cosmetic thing, but - pressing the home button to unlock? Really? This feels like such a backward step. I have the iPad in a smart case so previously all I did was open the case, swipe and enter the pin pretty much in one fluid movement. Now I have to open the case, press a button over there, enter a pin over here, it all feels very stilted and unnecessary.

On a device with Touch ID it makes sense - but when you're entering a pin on screen the swipe is so much more natural. Really dissapointed that this isn't even an option.

Secondly, what the heck has happened to the music app. Seriously. I DO NOT WANT TO SUBSCRIBE TO APPLE MUSIC, THANK YOU. I have considered this kind offer and declined, for a whole year now. Why then are two of the four fixed tabs at the bottom of my phone's music app now essentially dedicated to plugging Apple Music even if I turn off the "show Apple Music" toggle in settings?

Time was, all of those tabs were customisable, you could have your own choice of shortcuts to artists, playlists, albums, genius etc down there. Now you essentially have one tab that actually shows your library, one mandatory "connect" tab complete with Apple Music banner ad at the top, another mandatory radio tab with Apple Music banner ad, and then search. WTH apple?

To cap it all off, they've decided to dissapear the setting to hide itunes music you've purchased but not downloaded/synced to the phone. So browsing your regular library (from the one tab which allows you to do that) will now always show all the dreck you no longer want, including that free U2 album, and attempt to stream it all if you dare shuffle.

Genuinely I'm usually right behind Apple when it comes to progress, no complaints about the headphone jack here, but the sordid mess that is the music app really sums up something depressing about the company right now.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada

If Apple fan cannot expect Apple get a perfect release because how many devices there are, how in the world, Apple fan mocking Android maker cannot make perfect release.

Reactions: Abs_p

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
This isn't like me, I'm usually an enthusiastic adopter of new ios's, but - I don't like this one, for a few reasons.

Firstly the lock screen on my iPad Air. I don't like the layout, admittedly that's a cosmetic thing, but - pressing the home button to unlock? Really? This feels like such a backward step. I have the iPad in a smart case so previously all I did was open the case, swipe and enter the pin pretty much in one fluid movement. Now I have to open the case, press a button over there, enter a pin over here, it all feels very stilted and unnecessary.

On a device with Touch ID it makes sense - but when you're entering a pin on screen the swipe is so much more natural. Really dissapointed that this isn't even an option.

Secondly, what the heck has happened to the music app. Seriously. I DO NOT WANT TO SUBSCRIBE TO APPLE MUSIC, THANK YOU. I have considered this kind offer and declined, for a whole year now. Why then are two of the four fixed tabs at the bottom of my phone's music app now essentially dedicated to plugging Apple Music even if I turn off the "show Apple Music" toggle in settings?

Time was, all of those tabs were customisable, you could have your own choice of shortcuts to artists, playlists, albums, genius etc down there. Now you essentially have one tab that actually shows your library, one mandatory "connect" tab complete with Apple Music banner ad at the top, another mandatory radio tab with Apple Music banner ad, and then search. WTH apple?

To cap it all off, they've decided to dissapear the setting to hide itunes music you've purchased but not downloaded/synced to the phone. So browsing your regular library (from the one tab which allows you to do that) will now always show all the dreck you no longer want, including that free U2 album, and attempt to stream it all if you dare shuffle.

Genuinely I'm usually right behind Apple when it comes to progress, no complaints about the headphone jack here, but the sordid mess that is the music app really sums up something depressing about the company right now.

The forcefeeding of Apple Music reminds me of how MS used to forcefeed Internet Explorer at every turn....

sik08amg

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
Tampa, FL
Overall good feel. Anyone else having issues listening to new or old voicemails? I select the message and it shows up, then quickly disappears. After about the 15th try, it sticks around and I can listen to it.

macgeek88

Suspended
Jan 16, 2013
Illinois
I love iOS 10 and have since Beta 1 honestly. I think it's a really nice improvement over 9. I find it's very fluid and the new features are very appealing to me. I love Raise to Wake and Unlock so I don't have to worry about missing notifications on the lock screen due to the blazingly fast Touch ID. Some hate it, I love it.

And I loved iOS 9, too. But I think 10 is a step above and is very much more faster and stable than 9.0 ever was even though I didn't have many complaints.

My only gripe is the music app and it's been not working right for me since the last couple versions of iOS 9 on any of my devices and I've done everything so basically I'm stuck to streaming on my iDevices, which sucks as I have good music on my rMBP. I've rebuilt the library, reset devices, tried a new Mac, everything. It's just borked. It doesn't like my ripped from CD music at all.

noshooz

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
Central Maryland
After just an hour of familiarizing myself, I would say that so far I love it. Some of the features of iMessage to me are quite, shall we say, "youth-oriented," mostly fluff and flash. My favourite features are the left-swipe to activate the camera and the over two gigabytes of space on my phone that were freed up. Now I *really* can't wait for the iPhone 7 Plus I have pre-ordered to arrive so I can enjoy the 3D Touch features, too. :)

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I like everything except the chunky notifications in Notification Centre and Music, Maps and Messages. I think they ruined them and I will not be using them any longer. A big shame for Messages, because I really, really liked it. Apple is also sneaking in iCloud once again. All my iCloud settings were enabled after I upgraded and this is really pissing me off.

The forcefeeding of Apple Music reminds me of how MS used to forcefeed Internet Explorer at every turn....

Not used to, they still do it, just with Edge. They frequently make Edge the default browser again and you have to change the default browser somewhere in system settings, other browsers cannot do it themselves anymore. Once you do change it, a popup appears asking you again whether you really don’t want to use Edge, with an inconspicuous ‘no, thanks’ below a big ‘yes, please’ button (I’m paraphrasing).

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
I just updated my 5s to IOS 10 today. Overall it's working good but a couple of things bother me. First, I'm using a 16 G phone and I lost available memory and I have none to spare. Secondly, this will sound like a small thing, but I don't use a password or fingerprint touch to secure my phone and I much prefer to punch the home button once and swipe the screen to wake up the phone versus double punch of the home button. Sounds trivial I know, but that's my preference. The second thing I miss is that my coconut battery app will no longer work with IOS 10. However, it does seem to work fast and I'm certain the I will adapt and be fine with it. I'm still a loyal Iphone fan!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.