Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

im_the_guy

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2017
Maybe, but the iMac Pros speakers are larger and have a higher frequency range (I think). To an audiophile they are crap, but to the average Joe there is probably quite a significant difference, especially considering it is often twice the price of the iMac 27"

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
On a pro, neither sounded great. Have you adjusted the equalizer to see if you can get better sound?

koughmin

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2019
I went from a 2010 imac to a 2019 imac. Audio on the 2019 computer is drastically worse. I already had my doubts when I realized how much smaller the speakers on the new computer must be, to fit into the whisper-thin bottom edge of the computer's body. As I recall, the marketing for the 2010 machine actually mentioned the brand of speaker they used (Harmon-Kardon, I think). The new machines? They come with "stereo speakers".

Sure, you can't expect much from internal computer speakers, but this is simply the difference between listenable and non-listenable. The new speakers are boxy, tinny, not fit for conveying music to a listener. I realize the solution is (hopefully) external speakers, and that's OK, but it does seem unfortunate that apple is willing to put out a product so much worse than the previous version in this regard.

Zandros

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
As I recall, the marketing for the 2010 machine actually mentioned the brand of speaker they used (Harmon-Kardon, I think). The new machines? They come with "stereo speakers".

I can't remember Apple selling any computer with branded audio since the iMac G4's Pro Speakers.

Zandros

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
The Harmon Kardons referenced earlier are the latest version of those same speakers. They sported a JBL logo back in the day. Harmon International is the parent of both companies.

I think the post I quoted was talking about the internal iMac speakers—I checked, they were advertised as "stereo speakers" without any branding back in 2010 as well.

If you're talking about the SoundSticks, I'm very familiar with them as I own a pair (SoundSticks II) actually. I feel they are okay, the bass is a bit muddy sometimes, they don't really fill a room (but that is to be expected for any computer speakers of that size) and my particular pair has a somewhat loose DIN-connector to the control speaker. (And the seam in the standing speakers doesn't seem to be glued so they can easily be opened.) Funny thing is that they sometimes mute themselves when I turn on/off my IKEA desk lamp.

But they're not that expensive, look pretty good and sound good as long as the bass isn't too complex/heavy because the subwoofer doesn't weigh anything.

Not sure I've seen them with a JBL logo though. Also, I believe Harman is sadly a Samsung subsidiary nowadays.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
The iMac's internal speakers get special mention in reviews as being pretty good for an AIO. I have to agree with the reviewers, though I use a 2.1 system on my 2019 iMac.

raven133m

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2020
I have been using my new iMac 2019 for two days now and I noticed that the audio sounds very poor compared to my iMac 2012. I know you can't expect the best audio from an AIO desktop, but a downgrade in audio quality is unacceptable. Especially when you spend almost double the amount of money on a new computer.

To illustrate the difference I've recorded some audio played on both systems in the same room at the same distance at the same volume level. The iMac 2019 sounds a bit louder but lacks in bass and sounds more hollow and cheaper.

iMac 2012
https://instaud.io/3wq2

iMac 2019
https://instaud.io/3wq3

Do other people recognise the difference in sound quality or are the speakers in my system faulty?

You're not the only one that has noticed this. I just got an early 2019 iMac refurb and I noticed the same thing. The quality of the speakers are not on par with my 2012 iMac's (or my 2009, or 2006 for that matter). Everything sounds monotone. Changing the sound in the equalizer in iTunes doesn't help, at all. Are there any other settings we're missing here? Disappointing for a machine that costs over 2k.

ferencav

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2019
Yeah the speakers on the 2012 are a lot better. The 2019 sounds like a tin can. I hope mikehalloran was right and it was a compromise to fit in all the other new components. But since Apple advertises the great speaker quality of the iMac Pro, I get the feeling they just downgraded the speakers on the normal iMac so the iMac Pro excels. Or they just use cheaper speakers for some extra profit. Either way I prefer the speed of the 2019 :) But it's really sad to notice some parts of a new iMac are actually a downgrade.

raven133m

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2020
Yeah the speakers on the 2012 are a lot better. The 2019 sounds like a tin can. I hope mikehalloran was right and it was a compromise to fit in all the other new components. But since Apple advertises the great speaker quality of the iMac Pro, I get the feeling they just downgraded the speakers on the normal iMac so the iMac Pro excels. Or they just use cheaper speakers for some extra profit. Either way I prefer the speed of the 2019 :) But it's really sad to notice some parts of a new iMac are actually a downgrade.

Yes, it's not the end of the world. But disappointing when the speakers on previous models were great. You'd think they'd carry over. Is what it is I guess!

OLDNEWT21

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2020
I have been using my new iMac 2019 for two days now and I noticed that the audio sounds very poor compared to my iMac 2012. I know you can't expect the best audio from an AIO desktop, but a downgrade in audio quality is unacceptable. Especially when you spend almost double the amount of money on a new computer.

To illustrate the difference I've recorded some audio played on both systems in the same room at the same distance at the same volume level. The iMac 2019 sounds a bit louder but lacks in bass and sounds more hollow and cheaper.

iMac 2012
https://instaud.io/3wq2

iMac 2019
https://instaud.io/3wq3

Do other people recognise the difference in sound quality or are the speakers in my system faulty?
Just another corner cutter to save peanuts! 2012 imac had an optical out as part of the std heaphone audio out. I invested then in a $350 optical cable which is now totally redundant due to my mega-bucks 2019 only furnished with a std anlog stereo O/P. The old optical gave VASTLY superior sound into my Chord DAC but now with new mac using the 3 Metre Analog interconnect is P**s poor, mainly from the HUM picked up on the three meter run of CHORD cable (yet another costly investment wasted).
I now use an ancient (6 year old) WINDOZE machine as this yields better (but not perfect) streaming. WAKE UP TO the NEW world MacIntosh , I.E. Hi Res streaming before you loose credibility! Also no sound profiling adjustment on this machine. $18 grands worth of Hi-Fi and need a cranky Microsoft laptop to drive sound.
P.S. Sound from the new iMac is not as good as the transmitted bluetooth from a cheap Samsung Tab. Tried recording same complex tracks from both devices to my Revox B77 and iMac is still lacking the drive and quality.

Last edited:

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Just another corner cutter to save peanuts! 2012 imac had an optical out as part of the std heaphone audio out. I invested then in a $350 optical cable which is now totally redundant due to my mega-bucks 2019 only furnished with a std anlog stereo O/P. The old optical gave VASTLY superior sound into my Chord DAC but now with new mac using the 3 Metre Analog interconnect is P**s poor, mainly from the HUM picked up on the three meter run of CHORD cable (yet another costly investment wasted).
I now use an ancient (6 year old) WINDOZE machine as this yields better (but not perfect) streaming. WAKE UP TO the NEW world MacIntosh , I.E. Hi Res streaming before you loose credibility! Also no sound profiling adjustment on this machine. $18 grands worth of Hi-Fi and need a cranky Microsoft laptop to drive sound.
P.S. Sound from the new iMac is not as good as the transmitted bluetooth from a cheap Samsung Tab. Tried recording same complex tracks from both devices to my Revox B77 and iMac is still lacking the drive and quality.
There is so much wrong with that, it's senseless to pull it apart — except for the 3M unshielded cable picking up hum. Of course it will.

A 3M Star Quad cable will not. Under $19 at Markertek. Sescom will make it any length you want but it may cost more.

Star quad 3.5mm TRS Male to 1/4" TRS Female 20'

Use a stereo splitter at the other end. This is one of many depending on how long the R/L leads need to be. A 3.3' splitter lets you separate your speakers 6'

3.3' (6') Stereo splitter

These are not the correct cables if your speakers have a powered main and satellite. Those cables cost even less.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I now earn much of my living making music online. I've been finding that my mixes haven't been translating all that well to laptops, iPads etc. They sound great on my Equator D8 IIs, of course. My monitor controller can switch between speaker pairs, disable the subwoofer, sum to mono or all three at the push of a button.

To that end, I've ordered up a pair of the new M-Audio BX3. $99.95 at Amazon.
M-Audio BX3

Sweetwater is matching the price but don't have it on their site yet but they have my order.

What I like is that these have trim pots for treble and bass. I hope they're shelving filters and not just level controls—the manual doesn't say so I won't know till I get them. If I have to stuff the back ports with foam, to get the frequency response I want, I can do that. I'm shooting for a steep roll-off around 200Hz and above 6kHz. We'll see.

These are not to be confused with another M-Audio BX3. Those appear to be a Guitar Center/Musicians Friend exclusive.
BX3 @ Musicians Friend
Besides being more expensive @ $119.95, they do not have the treble/bass trim pots. (Who in Marketing screwed that one up?) I'm sure they sound ok but full range is Not what I'm looking for.

OLDNEWT21

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2020
There is so much wrong with that, it's senseless to pull it apart — except for the 3M unshielded cable picking up hum. Of course it will.

A 3M Star Quad cable will not. Under $19 at Markertek. Sescom will make it any length you want but it may cost more.

Star quad 3.5mm TRS Male to 1/4" TRS Female 20'

Use a stereo splitter at the other end. This is one of many depending on how long the R/L leads need to be. A 3.3' splitter lets you separate your speakers 6'

3.3' (6') Stereo splitter

These are not the correct cables if your speakers have a powered main and satellite. Those cables cost even less.
Nothing wrong with my 3 Mtr Twin DOUBLE SHIELDED cable (professionaly built) CUSTOM cable, identical build to my 4 Metre (also custom built) that is in everyday use with the REVOX for transferring Hi-Res from my streamer to tape. If any HUM is being generated it,s being generated by the iMac. DEFINITELY was not like that with old (2012) mac!! Should know after 7 years with the oldie! Have had both cables checked by the builder, even down to EHF interfrence tests. Also works fine with the 3metre into an in-line coupler to any other device . SO definitely NOT the cables!!!!
Also like to add that installation has not changed since new/old iMac have changed places, only lacks what WAS a (standard) duplex audio output, providing good analog and digital signals.
I have been round high quality sound processing long enough (37 years) to know whats good and whats not! If it worked before but don,t work now don.t faff about with it.
Speakers are MONITOR AUDIO Platinum of 5 year vintage, or Tannoy Monitor Golds, Both passive with no proximity to any mains. Cables to these are in galvanized underfloor ducting with known (and checked) solid direct earth bonding, again not even in the same area as the iMac. Mains supply to sound equipment is fed from Custom built mains conditioning filtering due to the local supply noise during the working day! but not the iMac, maybe I should route the iMac via this supply?

OLDNEWT21

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2020
Thanks for your reaction. As I mentioned earlier, I know you can't expect the worlds best audio from built-in speakers. However the iMac 2012 was just fine (for me) to enjoy some music while working. Now it sounds like everything comes from a small tin can. Maybe the audio samples I provided are not that clear, but in real life it certainly is.

My point is I'm a bit disappointed to experience a poorer quality audio from a iMac that is 7 years newer. I expected it to be the same. I'm curious if other people are experiencing this or that it is just my machine. Or maybe someone knows of any changes Apple made in the speakers they use in iMacs since 2012?
Yes ! 100% agree. I originally traded my 2012 iMac for the newer/bigger 27" last March. BIG mistake! Old machine sounded good (better than expected), however not one to accept there wasn't a better sound. I connected the (then furnished) optical TOS feature (available thru the same 3.5 skt) to my Chord D/A converter and then onto the HiFi system. WOW, blown away by the improvement, even MP3 tracks improved. Still had that MP3 shallow sound but not as bad as direct from mac.
Now with new Mac the Optical O/P is no longer there so either 1st option of Internal speakers or 2nd a marginally improved sound via a twin screened audio (analog) output. However this needs to be close proximity from iMac too the Amp input or via an A/D converter close to the Mac, however anything more than a couple of metres of cable (even the best quality dual screened) will degrade the sound, either by inducing hum or other noise pickup.
Afraid it's a no win situation! Wake up MacIntosh, there's a new (Streaming hi-res) world out here!!!!

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Nothing wrong with my 3 Mtr Twin DOUBLE SHIELDED cable (professionaly built) CUSTOM cable, identical build to my 4 Metre (also custom built) that is in everyday use with the REVOX for transferring Hi-Res from my streamer to tape. If any HUM is being generated it,s being generated by the iMac. DEFINITELY was not like that with old (2012) mac!! Should know after 7 years with the oldie! Have had both cables checked by the builder, even down to EHF interfrence tests. Also works fine with the 3metre into an in-line coupler to any other device . SO definitely NOT the cables!!!!
Also like to add that installation has not changed since new/old iMac have changed places, only lacks what WAS a (standard) duplex audio output, providing good analog and digital signals.
I have been round high quality sound processing long enough (37 years) to know whats good and whats not! If it worked before but don,t work now don.t faff about with it.
Speakers are MONITOR AUDIO Platinum of 5 year vintage, or Tannoy Monitor Golds, Both passive with no proximity to any mains. Cables to these are in galvanized underfloor ducting with known (and checked) solid direct earth bonding, again not even in the same area as the iMac. Mains supply to sound equipment is fed from Custom built mains conditioning filtering due to the local supply noise during the working day! but not the iMac, maybe I should route the iMac via this supply?
So you've spent a whole lot of money to not solve your problem. What's your point?

I'm not having your problems. Perhaps your super duper CUSTOM cable introduced a ground loop and the real solution is to disconnect the shield at one end? Hard to tell without being in the room and doing some tests..

Star quad cable is not the same as double-shielding and is far more effective at rejecting magnetic hum. Mogami, Canare and Belden all make it. Sescom will use any of the three you want and Markertek has, by far, the best prices. A double-shield increases capacitance — no thanks. It's also increases the likelihood of ground loops — oh, I forgot, your cables are CUSTOM made. Uh… so are mine—all Sescom cables are—it's just that Markertek has many in stock.

You might want to learn from my post instead of thinking that such a rant proves anything to anyone.

How much did you say you've spent? We might have missed it.

Last edited:

OLDNEWT21

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2020
So you've spent a whole lot of money to not solve your problem. What's your point?

I'm not having your problems. Perhaps your super duper CUSTOM cable introduced a ground loop and the real solution is to disconnect the shield at one end? Hard to tell without being in the room and doing some tests..

Star quad cable is not the same as double-shielding and is far more effective at rejecting magnetic hum. Mogami, Canare and Belden all make it. Sescom will use any of the three you want and Markertek has, by far, the best prices. A double-shield increases capacitance — no thanks. It's also increases the likelihood of ground loops — oh, I forgot, your cables are CUSTOM made. Uh… so are mine—all Sescom cables are—it's just that Markertek has many in stock.

You might want to learn from my post instead of thinking that such a rant proves anything to anyone.

How much did you say you've spent? We might have missed it.
Does NOT sound as though you are taking it in! The dual screened cable has been proven to work well into my Revox-Amplifier, no hum - no noise. Also the same between all other devices, even stereo RCA out from TV, but only with the iMac audio out does the problem appear Speakers are passive with NO power leads adjacent other than the supply to the Mac. Strange it ONLY appears with th Mac and not the Windows Laptop with mains supply lead connected!

• Haha
Reactions: mikehalloran

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I neither know nor care whom you're trying to impress.

When studying for a Class 1 FCC License, we learned how to tear down and rewire broadcast stations. Ground loops, magnetic hum, shielding, wiring and things that can go wrong were more than adequately covered.

It is not important to me that you aren't that knowledgable on these subjects. It's alright—really. Arguing with me on this is a fruitless endeavor because I know why you're wrong.

Again because you keep missing this: I don't have any of these problems.

Pobinr

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2013
I've just fired up my hi Spec 2021 Mac desk top. Noticed the sound on the internal speakers not quite as good as my 2012 one, not that they were much to write home about.
A £3300 Mac with speaker quality not as good as an old one !
Unbelievable. OK I can plug in external speakers, but why the drop in sound quality in built in speakers?
No excuse. Macs are twice the price of PCs but it would seem come with budget speakers. Not impressed

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I've just fired up my hi Spec 2021 Mac desk top. Noticed the sound on the internal speakers not quite as good as my 2012 one, not that they were much to write home about.
A £3300 Mac with speaker quality not as good as an old one !
Unbelievable. OK I can plug in external speakers, but why the drop in sound quality in built in speakers?
No excuse. Macs are twice the price of PCs but it would seem come with budget speakers. Not impressed
Hmmm…

Are you referring to the 2020 27" iMac or the older 21.5" model? There's no such animal as a 2021 model, hi Spec or otherwise...

Apple boasts about the sound quality on the 27". While not useful for music production, I find it ok for listening. My wife does not use external speakers on hers and is very pleased with the sound — a lot better than other iMacs she has owned.

If it's the 21.5", the sound quality isn't that great.

Agile55

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
TX
Hmmm…

Are you referring to the 2020 27" iMac or the older 21.5" model? There's no such animal as a 2021 model, hi Spec or otherwise...

Apple boasts about the sound quality on the 27". While not useful for music production, I find it ok for listening. My wife does not use external speakers on hers and is very pleased with the sound — a lot better than other iMacs she has owned.

If it's the 21.5", the sound quality isn't that great.

Mike as a fella that just bought a 2020 21.5" iMac can you make a few mid-priced suggestions for some speakers to alleviate some of the OEM shortcomings?

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
To the OP question..yes i can confirm the best imac speakers are from imac pro and the 2012-late 2014 ones
The current gen 27” imac is a bit muffled comparing side by side
But don’t worry, the next redesign imacs will have better speakers

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
But don’t worry, the next redesign imacs will have better speakers
While I like the thought — says who?

With Apple's relentless pursuit of slimmer designs and the rumored smaller bezels, where are they going to put larger speakers? Bass needs air space while treble needs directivity to be efficient. Nothing in the rumored designs gives hope for either.

Physics is not just a good idea — it's the Law.
Mike as a fella that just bought a 2020 21.5" iMac can you make a few mid-priced suggestions for some speakers to alleviate some of the OEM shortcomings?
Wow — you don't ask much, do you?

1610747209090.jpeg

Seriously, just about anything will be better — but what will work for you? I will use Amazon links but if you have a local music store that can get this stuff for you, you might want to support them, right?

Most gamers want a hard hitting sonic experience. Expect to spend a fair bit of coin for 2.1 — 7.1 systems with subwoofers. I am not a gamer and am not the person to make recommendations there.

I do music and AV production nowadays, having been in and out of the music industry over 50 years going back to when my dad was at Ampex in the '60s.

If just listening for your own pleasure, these start at a hundred bucks (3", no Sub) will blow away your iMac speakers. Woofer sizes 3"–8", Optional subwoofer with desktop control can be added later. $100–$550 depending on size and package. Prices include hookup cables to the headphone out from any Mac.
Mackie Mackie CR-X

Lots of music production in small studios is done on these JBLs. The monitors are priced $150–$250 each depending on size while the subwoofer is $400. I own one of the subs but use different studio monitors. Prices don't include cables. You'd need a Y cable to the Sub then a pair of cables from the Mac to the Monitors.
JBL Professional 308P MkII

Here's a package with the 5" version, Iso pads and cables for the price of the speakers alone.
JBL Professional 305P MkII package
The two XLR cables are used to hook up a subwoofer.
JBL 310S Subwoofer

Tons of other recommendations can be made but the above are very popular.

Reactions: Agile55
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.