Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Why anyone would conceivably wish to use the internal speakers on any such device e.g. iMac, Laptop, flat screen TV is beyond my comprehension.

Reactions: jagooch

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
With Apple's relentless pursuit of slimmer designs and the rumored smaller bezels, where are they going to put larger speakers? Bass needs air space while treble needs directivity to be efficient. Nothing in the rumored designs gives hope for either.
irrelevant here....i bet when they made the ipad/iphone thinner...you said the same thing...and the speakers were even better...the current imac has so much empty space

you really think the current speakers are the best Apple could do in this current design ?! nice joke :)))
why first iphone has weaker speakers than today even if its thinner and so on....the same will apply here

"Physics is not just a good idea" everybody knows that...you dont have to be an audio enginner or whatever...
but again, my first question is still relevant....

Last edited:

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Why anyone would conceivably wish to use the internal speakers on any such device e.g. iMac, Laptop, flat screen TV is beyond my comprehension.
why not? if you are not an audiophile, and you need just to talk to someone or listen to ambient music while doing some work etc there are fine....Not everyone is in audio production or is a kid to rock the base on some systems....a lot of people now use the internals speakers from the latest MBp for example..its simpler and more simplistic

Reactions: mikehalloran

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA

The 16" MBP has been rated time and time again as having by far the best laptop speakers of any laptop, period. Why would you not use it if you aren't sampling audio or in a place where you cannot connect to something with higher quality? My iMac 2020 27" also has decent speakers for being internal for casual listening and perfect for conference calls.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Agree...maybe depends on the age and what you do...when i was little i loved too to play music in a proper audio system

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
irrelevant here....i bet when they made the ipad/iphone thinner...you said the same thing...and the speakers were even better...the current imac has so much empty space
Nonsense. Don't put words in my mouth. If you're going to criticize what I wrote, then do that — not what you are misunderstanding I think… or whatever your agenda is.

I think the 2020 iMac sounds pretty good (as I stated earlier) — better than any iMac we've owned except my iMac Pro. My iPhone and iMac Pro sound ok, too. Good enough for music production or intense gaming? Well, no but for casual listening or Zoom calls etc., certainly. My wife is a professional musician, too (we both make our livings in music), and her 2020 27" iMac sounds good enough for her so I leave well enough alone.

The rumored new iMac is supposed to be even thinner with no bezel. If this means less space and the speakers firing backward, then the talk of even better sound is probably optimistic and I explained why. But no one has seen these new machines. Till then, we are all guessing — including you.

But please, do your wild guessing with your own thoughts. Don't force your agenda over mine, ok?

Reactions: Agile55

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Nonsense. Don't put words in my mouth. If you're going to criticize what I wrote, then do that — not what you are misunderstanding I think… or whatever your agenda is.

I think the 2020 iMac sounds pretty good (as I stated earlier) — better than any iMac we've owned except my iMac Pro. My iPhone and iMac Pro sound ok, too. Good enough for music production or intense gaming? Well, no but for casual listening or Zoom calls etc., certainly. My wife is a professional musician, too (we both make our livings in music), and her 2020 27" iMac sounds good enough for her so I leave well enough alone.

The rumored new iMac is supposed to be even thinner with no bezel. If this means less space and the speakers firing backward, then the talk of even better sound is probably optimistic and I explained why. But no one has seen these new machines. Till then, we are all guessing — including you.

But please, do your wild guessing with your own thoughts. Don't force your agenda over mine, ok?
i never put words in your mouth, maybe you didnt understand. Wow another post of what you and your wife are doing..please stop it , it’s embarrassing, no one asked and still you dont get the idea...a lot of people can lie behind the internet...kids do all the time (im not saying that you do ! so dont get tilted again !)..so its irrelevant and i dont care. Here we talk about what OP asked....not about what everybody job is...read the rules.
You entered in discussion with me..so stop push it because im not interested..don't be an hypocrite :)
Of course it’s speculation until is not...Apple did with all his products since the aqusition of beats, minus the iMacs
For almost sure the imac speakers will be better..like the imac pro in the same enclosure has better speakers than the normal ones..so Apple just has to bring the imac pros speakers and will be better already....
I end my discussion with you..because is off topic and we've learned nothing but non-sense...but dont forget to tell anyone else here again that you have a wife in music production and so on :) maybe they are interested ,but im not...i dont waste my time
Have a good day

Last edited:

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Cheesepuff wrote .....The 16" MBP has been rated time and time again as having by far the best laptop speakers of any laptop, period. Why would you not use it if you aren't sampling audio or in a place where you cannot connect to something with higher quality? My iMac 2020 27" also has decent speakers for being internal for casual listening and perfect for conference calls.

I'm afraid Laptops don't exist in my world, spawn of the devil. We are discussing the iMac's speakers which although I don't use them appear perfectly adequate to my ears.

Last edited:

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
maybe they are interested ,but im not...i dont waste my time
Then don't respond. By saying that I meant things I never wrote… that was you wasting your own time. Do you really not understand this? I'm guessing not but that isn't my problem.

I neither want nor need validation from anyone when I respond to a subject—especially from you. No one here needs that.

You don't like that I bring my own experience to this? Why wouldn't I or anyone else do that? If we own the machines being discussed, why not?

Sounds like a personal problem to me. Again, you don't get to make it mine — it isn't.

We are discussing the iMac's speakers
Exactly. All posts in this thread should be related to this point one way or the other.

Reactions: Agile55

cschoolland

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
I have been using my new iMac 2019 for two days now and I noticed that the audio sounds very poor compared to my iMac 2012. I know you can't expect the best audio from an AIO desktop, but a downgrade in audio quality is unacceptable. Especially when you spend almost double the amount of money on a new computer.

To illustrate the difference I've recorded some audio played on both systems in the same room at the same distance at the same volume level. The iMac 2019 sounds a bit louder but lacks in bass and sounds more hollow and cheaper.

iMac 2012
https://instaud.io/3wq2

iMac 2019
https://instaud.io/3wq3

Do other people recognise the difference in sound quality or are the speakers in my system faulty?
I recently purchased a recertified 2017 27" iMac. I can't compare to any other iMac, but the sound from my 2018 MBP is far better. The iMac just sounds kinda tinny and muffled all the time in comparison. Perhaps it's related to the housing design. Hope this is (or has already) improved in future models.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I recently purchased a recertified 2017 27" iMac. I can't compare to any other iMac, but the sound from my 2018 MBP is far better. The iMac just sounds kinda tinny and muffled all the time in comparison. Perhaps it's related to the housing design. Hope this is (or has already) improved in future models.
Well...

Comparing a 2011 iMac, 2020 iMac , iMac Pro and my 2012 MBP as I did recently… The 2011 is the worst but not horrible. The iMac Pro isn't half bad and the 2020 is nearly as good. This thread started off about the 2019—though it has the same shell as the 2012–2020, Apple has tweaked speaker design over the years.

The 2020 boasts an improved bass response with new speakers working in concert with the T2 chip. We can assume that the same thing is going on in your MBP and the iMPs as well.
2020 iMac

Unlike the iMacs, your MBP has forward firing speakers. As good as Apple is, basic laws of physics get in the way with iMac speaker design where the speakers have no forward facing port.

The cold hard fact is that Mac speakers are what they are—iPhone to iMac Pro—but decent sound for anything other than internet browsing and Zoom chats really requires external speakers.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Even a 10$ bluetooth mini speaker sounds better than any iMac.
At home, I use a tiny class-D amplifier (5$) powered by an old laptop power brick and a pair of speakers salvaged from a dead mini-combo stereo set. Connect it to the iMac by bluetooth and voila => much better sound quality.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
While I like the thought — says who?

With Apple's relentless pursuit of slimmer designs and the rumored smaller bezels, where are they going to put larger speakers? Bass needs air space while treble needs directivity to be efficient. Nothing in the rumored designs gives hope for either.

Physics is not just a good idea — it's the Law.
Physics its the law...but just for those who can understand it
Like i said...its clear you dont know how the physics works here(probably you see the physics in 2D :) )...and like i said...the new redesign its even thinner and have better speakers, officialy
Learn to listen next time, Have a nice day

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mikehalloran

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Physics its the law...but just for those who can understand it
Like i said...its clear you dont know how the physics works here(probably you see the physics in 2D :) )...and like i said...the new redesign its even thinner and have better speakers, officialy
Learn to listen next time, Have a nice day
Now what kind of a… attention seeker posts something like that months after the original post? The new iMac was announced today.

The new 24" appears to be an engineering marvel but I assure you, no laws of physics are being broken here, more power, a 3-way speaker system and the increased interior made possible by the reduced component size of the cooling system and chip set made this all possible. I put it in big letters so that you might understand.

I think that the Physics Dept. at my university offers online classes. They were pretty good when I took them. Many Apple engineers studied there, too. You might want to consider attending a few before you discuss subjects that you do not appear to understand.

ForumEK123

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2021
CA
I just bought the 2020 Imac, and noticed the exact same thing. In Music, if you pull down Window in the menu bar, and choose equalizer, you can get the sound a little better. I like to make my own "Manual" and set it to a U shape with the left and right sides near the top.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.