Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Although I'd love to have AMD CPU in desktops, I still don't believe AMD has an edge over Intel in Mobile segment. We will have to wait for 7nm version of AMD mobile chip is on market, but as of now, AMD is energy inefficient compared to what Intel is offering.

Having seen snippets of AMD's CES presentation - The wait is over - and now I want something as powerful and efficient as a 4800u with 16 threads in a Macbook Pro. I at least want Ice Lake.
Sooner the better.

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
Having seen snippets of AMD's CES presentation - The wait is over - and now I want something as powerful and efficient as a 4800u with 16 threads in a Macbook Pro. I at least want Ice Lake.
Sooner the better.
You know, after watching CES 2020, 4800 mobile looks real promising. Can't wait to see a review when it comes out!

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
It is 40 Gb/s, the same as TB3.

I saw this https://www.gsmarena.com/intel_anno..._not_faster_than_thunderbolt_3-news-40931.php article that mentioned that Thunderbolt 3 uses PCIE 3 and it theorized Thunderbolt 4 would be PCIE 4 compatible. So that might be the "upgrade" rather than the peak transfer speed? Maybe that would enable higher sustained transfer speed rather than just upping the theoretical peak transfer speed? Someone more knowledgeable on how that works feel free to chime in.

Altherekho

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2019
I saw this https://www.gsmarena.com/intel_anno..._not_faster_than_thunderbolt_3-news-40931.php article that mentioned that Thunderbolt 3 uses PCIE 3 and it theorized Thunderbolt 4 would be PCIE 4 compatible. So that might be the "upgrade" rather than the peak transfer speed? Maybe that would enable higher sustained transfer speed rather than just upping the theoretical peak transfer speed? Someone more knowledgeable on how that works feel free to chime in.
Just a rebrand , proud of you Intel .

Altherekho

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2019
Thunderbolt 3/4 ( a three with a 4 on it ) prrr O . Maybe Apple will develop a Thunderbolt 4+ at 80 Gbps next WWDC , don’t know ,maybe pairing two thunderbolt 3/4 . If this is the case i don't understand ,is Intel thunking we are all stupid? I hope they were referring to the USB 3.2 x 2 , that would make sense.

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
The rumors regarding AMD's 7nm mobile chips are very promising. If most of rumors are true, we may see another shock in mobile chip improvement just like the introduction of Intel Core M. Still not sure about AMD's power usage at idle, but price, performance (still not beating Intel's single core performance though), and especially vastly improved iGPU looks like way better than what Intel can offer.

We have to wait and see the review when it comes out, but based on the rumors circulating in China, something will happen. If the circulated performance of AMD's offering is true, Apple may be forced to use AMD CPU as well.

Exciting time!

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
The rumors regarding AMD's 7nm mobile chips are very promising. If most of rumors are true, we may see another shock in mobile chip improvement just like the introduction of Intel Core M. Still not sure about AMD's power usage at idle, but price, performance (still not beating Intel's single core performance though), and especially vastly improved iGPU looks like way better than what Intel can offer.

We have to wait and see the review when it comes out, but based on the rumors circulating in China, something will happen. If the circulated performance of AMD's offering is true, Apple may be forced to use AMD CPU as well.

Exciting time!
Zen 2 has higher IPC than Intel Skylake.

What rumors, also? Renoir APUs were introduced just on Monday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.