Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

High-end MacBook Pros...

• I'm waiting for the M1 16" MacBook Pro.

Votes: 63 39.1%
  • I'm waiting for the M1 14" MacBook Pro.

Votes: 38 23.6%
  • I'm waiting for the 2nd generation.

Votes: 19 11.8%
  • I'm not waiting.

Votes: 41 25.5%

• Total voters

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Since the m1 motherboard seems small there should be enough space and cooling for the following in a PRO laptop.

• 32+ high performance cores
  • 16+ efficiency cores
  • 16+ gpu cores
  • 64GB ram, maybe even 128GB to have 4GB per core available.
  • 16+ TB ssd
  • 4+ tb4 connectors
  • make it bulkier and bigger, so throttling will be less of an issue.
  • no touchbar option
  • 17-18" screen option would be absolutely fantastic
Why would you need 16 efficiency cores? By definition they are only used if you're not doing anything intensive, ergo 4 is as sufficient in a 16" Pro as an Air.

Reactions: ader42

Andropov

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
Spain
Why would you need 16 efficiency cores? By definition they are only used if you're not doing anything intensive, ergo 4 is as sufficient in a 16" Pro as an Air.
You could argue that there's probably more background tasks running in a "pro" workflow than in a consumer one. More background apps loaded, emulators running and things like that.

Lammers

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
I firmly believe we should expect the AS-based 16" MBP to be treated in a very similar way to the new M1 releases - i.e. using the existing chassis, no redesign, no physical changes (except possibly for ports but I don't think so), and only minor other changes (Wi-Fi 6, etc). Might get Mini-LED if we're lucky.

IMHO much more than that is just fantasy. The 16" MBP is only a year old, no reason Apple would change the physical design for a while yet.

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
I firmly believe we should expect the AS-based 16" MBP to be treated in a very similar way to the new M1 releases - i.e. using the existing chassis, no redesign, no physical changes (except possibly for ports but I don't think so), and only minor other changes (Wi-Fi 6, etc). Might get Mini-LED if we're lucky.

IMHO much more than that is just fantasy. The 16" MBP is only a year old, no reason Apple would change the physical design for a while yet.
The 16" didn't change much though, other than the slightly increased screen size and going 3 years back into the past, with the old perfectly working keyboard design. Also, it became a bit bigger, which I wouldn't really call an improvement, at least not with the thermal headroom of the upcoming ARM chips. The 16" chassis was a consequence of a failed keyboard design and Intels terrible heat performance. At least one of these two issues have already been addressed, so there's no point in keeping this inferior, outdated design anymore...

Lammers

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
The 16" didn't change much though, other than the slightly increased screen size and going 3 years back into the past, with the old perfectly working keyboard design. Also, it became a bit bigger, which I wouldn't really call an improvement, at least not with the thermal headroom of the upcoming ARM chips. The 16" chassis was a consequence of a failed keyboard design and Intels terrible heat performance. At least one of these two issues have already been addressed, so there's no point in keeping this inferior, outdated design anymore...
There is a point in keeping "this inferior, outdated design": to avoid doing the engineering work to change it when there is more important work to do.

On one hand, Apple will still have AS releases to do of iMacs (presumably in two sizes) and Mac Pro, alongside their usual release schedules for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch. And on the other hand, an AS-based 16" MBP in the current chassis would fly off the shelves anyway, so what business case could there possibly be for going to the effort of redesigning the chassis and retooling manufacturing to build it? Doesn't make sense.

Reactions: dasjati and eulslix

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
I agree with all of that.

I bought my high-end 2015 15" MBP with 16 GB RAM standard.

All I'm hoping for the high-end AS 16" MBP would be a minimum 32 GB RAM as the baseline.

Apple already sold 16 GB RAM as standard for almost 5 years, it needs to bump the capacity.

Reactions: Dave Y and pshufd

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I really like the Air in all respects apart from the small display size. 13" is too little for using multiple windows at once. As the 13" Pro is now so similar, transforming it into a 15" Air (same internals, potentially including fan, but larger screen and wedge shape design) would help it reach a new audience.

Outside of that, I hope the 16" Pro might come back down to around $1,999 starting again, due to the more dramatic cost savings from simplifying the system that are possible there. Assuming the $1,799 13" Pro becomes a 14" a larger version of that coming in from $1,999 is feasible.

I saw an analysis of how much Apple might be saving with the M1 and the bottom line was about $2.5 billion making their own chips. No surprise that they're hitting the low-end systems first. I had a work-issue 13 and ran it at native resolution - you can get a lot on that display but it's pretty small.

I'd like a 14 in a thin bezel. Apple can clearly do it. Maybe a system with four efficiency and eight performance cores.

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
There is a point in keeping "this inferior, outdated design": to avoid doing the engineering work to change it when there is more important work to do.

On one hand, Apple will still have AS releases to do of iMacs (presumably in two sizes) and Mac Pro, alongside their usual release schedules for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch. And on the other hand, an AS-based 16" MBP in the current chassis would fly off the shelves anyway, so what business case could there possibly be for going to the effort of redesigning the chassis and retooling manufacturing to build it? Doesn't make sense.
I agree. I was looking at it more from a product standpoint, less of a business standpoint. One could argue the latter is the only thing that matters, but with Apple overshooting their own targets with the AS, there's still room for surprises nowadays... I wouldn't bet on it though.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Gosh, it's kind of difficult to predict what we'll see next. Gurman said the 16" was a bit further behind in development when he wrote about what's coming at the "One More Thing" event.

So along these lines we'll see an M1X in an 16" soon. Feels like this would be a January/February thing, right? But according to our favorite analyst, the high-end MacBook Pros will be all-new inside & out.

According to Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, a 13.3-inch MacBook Pro with a form factor similar to the current 13.3-inch MacBook Pro could be the first Mac to get an Arm-based chip designed by Apple. In March, Kuo predicted this new MacBook Pro will launch late in 2020 or early in 2021.

In a research note with TF International Securities today, seen by MacRumors, Kuo said he expects the Apple Silicon 13.3-inch MacBook Pro to go into mass production in the fourth quarter of this year, but he also now predicts we will see an Arm-based MacBook Air either in the same quarter or in the first quarter of next year.

Kuo still believes that Apple intends to launch a mini-LED 16-inch ‌MacBook Pro‌ and a 14.1-inch MacBook Pro, also with a mini-LED display, but these will likely arrive in the second or third quarter of 2021, and intriguingly, both will have an "all-new form factor design." Previous rumors suggested an updated 16-inch MacBook Pro could arrive this year in October or November.

Kuo's turned out to be right so far — at least in his prediction of the low-end 13" MBP & the MBA. So by the end of June, it looks like we'll be getting the high-end stuff. Can people wait 7 months?! Oh the excitement!!

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I saw an analysis of how much Apple might be saving with the M1 and the bottom line was about $2.5 billion making their own chips. No surprise that they're hitting the low-end systems first. I had a work-issue 13 and ran it at native resolution - you can get a lot on that display but it's pretty small.

I'd like a 14 in a thin bezel. Apple can clearly do it. Maybe a system with four efficiency and eight performance cores.
I can imagine with the 16" they have a lot more room to bring the price down using a SoC instead of several discrete system components (assuming they use the same playbook for the more powerful systems as they have so far, I see no suggestion that they will do otherwise, yet). With the 16" they have a $300+ CPU as well as a $300+ GPU which could be deleted on a lower end model with their own graphics. Potential savings of at least $400 even budgeting $200 for the SoC, which would make it by far the most expensive they've ever made. By contrast the M1 supposedly works out to $50/chip including R&D costs (I think I read the same analysis as you).

In resolution terms, I find the 1680x1050 on a 15.4" display to be ok for juggling a couple of windows, using that resolution on a smaller screen makes things a bit little which gets fatiguing, while 1440x900 isn't really enough resolution to work with more than one thing at a time IMO.

Lammers

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013

There have been rumours/leaks of 14”, and it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to imagine Apple replacing the 13” with a 14” in the same way they replaced the 15” with a 16”. The question is whether they do that as part of the next set of AS MBP releases. My guess is no.

Reactions: Serban55

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
I think another mac will be showed at march event along side ipads pro
14" mbp with the 4 usb4 ports and 2 fans?!

Reactions: ader42

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
I don't know what to do.

I'd probably like a 14 with 4 ports and 32 GB of RAM option. But I'd like one of these now.

I am in the same boat. Problem is that my MBP 15 has started to show its age. The battery is on its way out. It sometimes has a kernel panic when I unplug it from the charger. It sometimes gets stuck for a while … If it would run perfectly, I would just wait. I am looking for exactly that configuration you described.

But I earn my living with this device. So I am tempted right now to get one of these although I think there will be new models next year that will fit my needs even better.

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
I don't want to sound negative, buuuut why are you expecting a redesign? This 16 inch model just came out last year, apple sticks with their designs for at least 3 years, I think they will keep the design, put a M1xxx chip in there, a 1080p webcam, probably a miniled display andddd if we're lucky a promotion display, but I'm not holding my breath for that one, I think they might make us wait until 2022 for promotion :(

The only redesign I see as feasible is a redesigned 13" macbook pro aka a macbook 14"

I keep wondering the same thing. So many people are desperately longing for some redesign, but there already was one just last year.

Apple might make the 16 inch a little bit thinner and lighter. And of course the internals can and will change. But I personally don't expect any big departure from the general design and form factor.

Just look at the iMac! It's the same design since the iMac G5 from 2004. They changed it from plastic to aluminum in 2007 and since then they have only iterated on it.

And why do people want that change so hard? Just look at the keyboard in the MacBooks! They changed a perfectly fine keyboard and made it way worse just to save some inches and maybe some Dollars.

No, thank you. I want a well built laptop, that has all the I/O and the performance I need, that is a reliable tool for my work. That's it.

Reactions: ader42 and AAPLGeek

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I hope they get to 12", 14" and 16" across the line

(truthfully I'd really like a 17" also, but I'm trying not to disappoint myself in advance)

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I see the rumours for the mini LED MacBook Pros indicate a 14.1" and 16.1" - I'm interested to know if that's a different display size to the current 16", is it 16.0" exactly, currently? That would then maybe indicate a redesign? A new design language with iPad Pro style thin, even bezels all the way round would look great.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
As far as phone goes I always go with the smaller size, but for laptops, the bigger the better. Santa hear me out,
  • 17-inch or even 18-inch option with even thinner bezels (I really miss my 17" Big Mac)
  • 16-core, 32GB RAM, and 1TB SSD as standard
  • 1080p webcam with faceID
  • Mini-LED/LTPO screen at 120 Hz
  • Removable 24-hour battery + fast charge capable
  • Spatial awareness speakers
  • Interactive trackpad screen (compatible with Apple Pencil would be a banger)

Reactions: turbineseaplane

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I keep wondering the same thing. So many people are desperately longing for some redesign, but there already was one just last year.

Apple might make the 16 inch a little bit thinner and lighter. And of course the internals can and will change. But I personally don't expect any big departure from the general design and form factor.

Just look at the iMac! It's the same design since the iMac G5 from 2004. They changed it from plastic to aluminum in 2007 and since then they have only iterated on it.
I hear you. The only rumors of a redesign come from Ming-Chi Kuo who claims an "all-new form factor design."

Since he was correct with his early July note about Q4 2020 Apple silicon MacBook Airs & the 13" MacBook Pro, it lends weight to prospect of an actual redesign in 2Q 2021. If you figure in switching to mini LEDs, as well as switching to Apple silicon, it's an opening new design opportunities.

Now like you said, the iMac design has stayed generally the same for almost a decade. And seeing the M1 Mac mini tear down, they could have totally shrunken that down.

I'd be totally cool with the existing 16" design with an M1X & all the fixings that has to offer. So we'll see... We only have less than 7 months to go to see what happens. Thankfully it's not like back in 2017 when the rumors of the switch coming were years away.

Lammers

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
As far as phone goes I always go with the smaller size, but for laptops, the bigger the better. Santa hear me out,
  • 17-inch or even 18-inch option with even thinner bezels (I really miss my 17" Big Mac)
  • 16-core, 32GB RAM, and 1TB SSD as standard
  • 1080p webcam with faceID
  • Mini-LED/LTPO screen at 120 Hz
  • Removable 24-hour battery + fast charge capable
  • Spatial awareness speakers
  • Interactive trackpad screen (compatible with Apple Pencil would be a banger)
You're forgetting that you also want all of that for $2,000 of course.

Quackington

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
My Late-2013 15-inch has 16 gigs of ram so it seems nutso for me, 7 years later, to consider another laptop capped at 16 gigs. For my next machine, which I hope lasts a good 5-7 years, I want 32 or 64 gigs. While I'm getting really antsy to get a new one as the battery is really no good anymore, and as lovely as these M1 models are... I'm holding out for an Apple Silicon MB Pro 16 inch that has 32 or 64 gig ram. Mini-LED would really be a selling point too.

Side note, I am really tempted by the Air as just a sort of for-fun latptop to play with and try out the M1... but I'm a video/TV editor so it feels silly to me to invest that kind of money unless I can use it for work too (I often use it to do minor After Effects work like rendering out title cards and things). My maxed-out 2013 15-incher has been a champ but it's time is coming...
Oh man, keep that machine going for another few years if you can. My 11” 2011 MBA went 9 years before I upgraded in September this year. I still kept it, though. 4GB ram, a bit slow but still okay for light stuff.

Mr Screech

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2018
Another option I'd like to see in the future is the choice for more power vs. more battery life.

Right now 50% of the hardware-footprint is used for batteries. Most PRO users in need of a powerful machine work with an outlet nearby, so most of that battery-space is wasted. Imagine if they'd make a machine with only 20% allocated for batteries. The freed up space could be used for extra cpu/ram/cooling.

Del Martes

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2020
If they make a 16” Air, I’ll buy the Air, cause I don’t need the performance of the Pro.

Any chance it will happen?

drawnacrol

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
my 2010 MacBook Pro died recently. I don't need to much power but I do need the 16" for working comfortably with Logic. I might cave and just get the 13"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.