Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I thought I would create an official watch OS 3 Wishlist! Put down the features you'd love to see in the new os.

I'll keep adding more as I think of them

Mine are:

Watch Faces
  • Dynamic watch faces - let me explain. It would be great to set up time dependant complications and notifications. In the morning once your alarm is turned off, that complication disappears and is replaced by the activity complication. If your watch is charged over night, when you put the Apple Watch on, the battery complication will disappear and be replaced by weather. Just simple things like this would be great. It would really stop you from changing different faces all the time to suit your needs. The watch would predict, based on your usage, which complications would suit you and at what time.
  • New watch faces. I'd love some planet themed motion faces
  • More customisation of your custom photo watch faces
Siri
  • Siri on watch to control Apple TV (e.g Siri, play American horror story on my Apple TV)
  • Siri with audio
Workouts
  • Specific workout links on watch face. (E.g. A link to outdoor walk as an icon that when selected, instantly starts that workout)
  • More workout options
  • Ability to edit workout length; in case you forgot to pause it.
  • Ability to dictate notes to a workout. For example, if you workout with 'other' at the gym, once you complete the workout, you could put in the exercises you did, weights you usued etc. You can view and edit them in the iPhone too. This way you can track how many weight sets you went up or other basic things like that.
Apps and notifications
  • Notes App
  • Sleep tracking app
  • Podcast app
  • Weather notifications for upcoming events e.g. rain, storm or snow
  • More dynamic apps! E.g. A motion weather app, like on iPhone with animations.
  • Find my iPhone app
Misc.
  • When in low power mode, place the time directly in the centre, rather than on the side. (Very minor improvement)
  • Backup watch to iCloud

Last edited:

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
I'd like to see a dedicated reminders app. We have apps on the Watch that mimic everything else on the iPhone, why not reminders? We could easily check things off throughout the day. There are third party options but I only use Apple's Reminders app so it'd be nice to have it on the Watch. Even notes wouldn't hurt, to quickly check something.

Reactions: Simche

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Someone posted this in the AW2 Wishlist thread:

I'm not sure if this is an Apple Watch 2 or WatchOS 3 wish: use the Digital Crown to scroll right and left in Glances. I feel stupid swiping my finger back and forth to get to my furthest right and left glances. Plus, the Watch usually freezes momentarily about midway "across" the list.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
Scrollable months in the calendar app.

Seconds display (option) for digital watch face.
Agree with the calendar thing, there have been many times where I went to check a date or something and wished I could view multiple months.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Someone posted this in the AW2 Wishlist thread:
Had me confused: I thought you were telling me that someone else posted about this. Now I get it... I'm the"someone".

I still think this would be a very useful feature. Of course, as a Watch 1 owner, I'd rather see it implemented via WatchOS 3.

Calendar scrolling using digital crown is a good idea too. Shouldn't be hard to implement.

Reactions: JerTheGeek

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I thought I would create an official watch OS 3 Wishlist! Put down the features you'd love to see in the new os.

Mine are:

• Dynamic watch faces - let me explain. It would be great to set up time dependant complications and notifications. In the morning once your alarm is turned off, that complication disappears and is replaced by the activity complication. If your watch is charged over night, when you put the Apple Watch on, the battery complication will disappear and be replaced by weather. Just simple things like this would be great. It would really stop you from changing different faces all the time to suit your needs. The watch would predict based on your usage which complications would suit you and at what time.
  • New watch faces. I'd love some planet themed motion faces
  • More customisation of your custom photo watch faces
  • Siri on watch to control Apple TV (e.g Siri, play American horror story on my Apple TV)
  • Specific workout links on watch face. (E.g. A link to outdoor walk as an icon that when selected, instantly starts that workout)
  • When in low power mode, place the time directly in the centre, rather than on the side. (Very minor improvement)
  • More workout options
  • Weather notifications for upcoming events e.g. rain, storm or snow
  • Ability to edit workout length; in case you forgot to pause it.
  • Sleep tracking
  • Apple Podcast app

Good list except the sleep tracking. If you're wearing it while you sleep and wearing it while you're awake when are you supposed to charge it? The battery only lasts about a 1 day (1.5 days if you push it).

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Good list except the sleep tracking. If you're wearing it while you sleep and wearing it while you're awake when are you supposed to charge it? The battery only lasts about a 1 day (1.5 days if you push it).

I manage to track my sleep fine! Lasts through the night after a full day wearing it. Then I just chuck it on charge while I'm getting ready to go to work in the morning, and it's ready to go again when I leave! Might not work for many people doing it that way...guess it could be considered more of a feature for the Watch 2 on OS 3. Would just prefer a native sleep app that ties in with all the fitness data

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
I manage to track my sleep fine! Lasts through the night after a full day wearing it. Then I just chuck it on charge while I'm getting ready to go to work in the morning, and it's ready to go again when I leave! Might not work for many people doing it that way...guess it could be considered more of a feature for the Watch 2 on OS 3. Would just prefer a native sleep app that ties in with all the fitness data
I could see this being implemented for sure, just like you said probably a WATCH 2 feature.

Reactions: moxxham

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Usually, when I head to bed, I have 30-40% remaining. Another 15% or so comes off during sleep. Throw it on the charger for the 60-75 minutes I have between awakening and heading to work and I'm at 100% also.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
To the OP: Carrot Weather has a fun/slightly more informative weather widget.

I agree with many of the above.

I would like the ability to reassign the Favorites button. Make Favorites an app if they're married to the functionality (which I NEVER use), and let me use that button for...starting an Other Workout, or whatever.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Usually, when I head to bed, I have 30-40% remaining. Another 15% or so comes off during sleep. Throw it on the charger for the 60-75 minutes I have between awakening and heading to work and I'm at 100% also.

That's the luxury I don't have. I wake up at 6:30, shower and leave by 7:15. That's not enough time to charge the watch to full from whatever is left the night before.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I'd like to see a dedicated reminders app. We have apps on the Watch that mimic everything else on the iPhone, why not reminders? We could easily check things off throughout the day. There are third party options but I only use Apple's Reminders app so it'd be nice to have it on the Watch. Even notes wouldn't hurt, to quickly check something.

Reminders Nano does this. Apple should have included it but Tia Nano app works flawlessly. I can have a list created on my phone or even using Siri and check it off on my watch, especially handy with shopping lists!

Simche

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2015
Europe
I would love a more dynamic workout app in watchOS 3. What I mean is mostly that it understands when I'm walking/runnig slower, stopping & continuing for a more accurate time & calorie-burn data. More workout-rpograms obviously would be nice too.

A more speed-improvment and efficiency. This is a lot of work for the developers, cutting down code and so on. Apple can make this since they own the product on every aspect, their internal software structure is "bendable", so I hope they focus on this.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
That's the luxury I don't have. I wake up at 6:30, shower and leave by 7:15. That's not enough time to charge the watch to full from whatever is left the night before.
I wear my watch as a silent alarm and sleep tracker and charge from 8-9pm typically. Usually have about 40-50% battery at 8pm and normally hit all my rings so that is the perfect time for me to charge back to 100% and then put back on - turn off wrist raise, set alarm and start sleep tracking app. I usually wake 7-8 hours later with 91-93% battery and that is back to full while I shower or close since I usually workout for an hour first thing in the morning.

Someone mentioned programming the buttons to do other things than favorites. I've mentioned this before and love that idea. Program for a specific workout start and stop or make it a macro to activate my bedtime routine above.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Posted it in another thread --

I'd like to have the crown scroll through lists on Apple TV while using the watch as a remote control. I've habitually tried to do it so many times already, I wish it was a real function.

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2010
Posted it in another thread --

I'd like to have the crown scroll through lists on Apple TV while using the watch as a remote control. I've habitually tried to do it so many times already, I wish it was a real function.

I was just wondering about if there was anything you could do with the watch and the tv. Just started getting some serious use out of mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.