Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Just out of curiosity, doesn't this mean this model is banned for flights forever? I guess it does, since I don't know how they could differentiate the machines that have been serviced to fix the problem. I mean surely they can give you some paper about service but do the airlines really have the time and interest to examine each machine and possible documents to make sure. I don't think so. They will just visually see if the machine looks like the one they have banned and determine actions based on that...
for the time being from what i'm understanding, is that ANY 15inch laptop with the apple logo on it could be banned, since airline or TSA doesn't bother to check the difference.

Reactions: arkitect

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
for the time being from what i'm understanding, is that ANY 15inch laptop with the apple logo on it could be banned, since airline or TSA doesn't bother to check the difference.
Then I'm afraid this is serious issue for all 15" owners. Interesting to see what Apple will do. Probably some redesign to make visible difference is needed...

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
The compensation would come from your trip cancellation/travel insurance. But, like most people, you probably didn’t buy it. Credit cards often have travel insurance when used to pay for certain parts of a trip, so check if your credit card has travel insurance and file a claim. If you didn’t use a credit card or it doesn’t have travel insurance you’re probably eating the costs yourself.

I used to work in travel insurance. In my country cancelling for non-admittance wasn’t a claimable scenario.

Reactions: FlyingDutch

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Yesterday my partner and I were supposed to Travel from Siem Reap to Hanói. We were not allowed inside the plane because of our MacBook Pro 15". Nobody grave a solution to us, nobody helped us (neither police or the aithorities)! I tried to speak with Apple and it was impossible. We started our trip over 2 months ago around South East Asia and we had no problem. We were not aware of this Mac issue problem! Now, who takes responsibility of all the money we lost (lost flight, hotels, excursions all paid)? We have now to take a +30h trip (different buses and trains) up to our next destination. We were treated as we had a bomb. It is crazy.
Reading in the internet I see that a battery replacement is provided in Mac stores, but it takes 2/3 weeks (too much for our time in here). We are from Spain, just in the other side of the glove.
Do you know any compensation processes from Mac? Thank you.

Apple won't be able to help. They issued a voluntary recall of a very specific range of MacBook Pro models that could potentially have battery issues. To my knowledge, none of these actually had any such issue. The idea was simply to get customers to switch out their battery for one deemed completely safe.

Several countries and airlines then took it upon themselves to ban the affected computers on the theory that the recall means they are unsafe, i.e., that they have issues similar to the Samsung phones that were banned a year or two ago. The problem with taking this approach under these circumstances (apart from needlessly inconveniencing passengers such as yourself) is that it will make companies think twice about initiating a voluntary battery recall where there is no reason to think a battery will *actually* explode. We'll all be less safe if a company like Apple is disincentivized to issue voluntary safety recalls.

Worse, some countries/airlines are now banning all 15" MacBook Pro models, since they are difficult to quickly distinguish from one another. This is a huge problem for many and an additional disincentive to Apple to do the right thing next time around. In short, Apple did what we would want them to do, but lots of people are getting burned because the airlines didn't think through the problem.
[doublepost=1567536331][/doublepost]
I used to work in travel insurance. In my country cancelling for non-admittance wasn’t a claimable scenario.

Correct -- this situation is not covered by travel insurance.

Reactions: redmac

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Several countries and airlines then took it upon themselves to ban the affected computers on the theory that the recall means they are unsafe, i.e., that they have issues similar to the Samsung phones that were banned a year or two ago.

The problem is that the FAA issued the ban in the US. Which means US carriers have to comply. And generally when the US FAA issues a ban or grounds an aircraft (RE: Boeing 737 MAX) the rest of the world follows along.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Those saying that Apple doesn't have to do anything for the customer outside of replacing the battery are insane. They have a responsibility to work with the FAA on getting approved documents to travelers who have had their affected MacBook Pro's battery replaced or stating that it wasn't in the affected range. Apple absolutely cannot just say "well we are replacing your batteries." They have a responsibility to straighten this out with the FAA or they are going to lose a ton of business customers who don't want to risk not getting on their flight or not being able to take their MacBook Pro.

Last edited:

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
I have a business trip coming up and I plan to FedEx my MBP to and from (just a CONUS flight), a policy I'll continue as long as this is an issue. As an earlier poster mentioned, we're not far from any laptop with an Apple logo being refused entry. Traveling is hassle enough without having to worry about whether or not my laptop will be allowed on the plane.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
They have a responsibility to work with the FAA on getting approved documents to travelers who have had their affected MacBook Pro's battery replaced or stating that it wasn't in the affected range.
Isn't there a website that does exactly this? You enter your serial number and it tells you if your MBP is affected. If it's not, just print the report. If you have already replaced the battery, print the invoice. The problem here is really the airport staff not willing to read a document or serial number, which has to change.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Isn't there a website that does exactly this? You enter your serial number and it tells you if your MBP is affected. If it's not, just print the report. If you have already replaced the battery, print the invoice. The problem here is really the airport staff not willing to read a document or serial number, which has to change.

That's exactly the point. Apple needs to work with the FAA on getting approved documentation from travelers. They need to have an exact form that is accepted that the FAA will take upon entering security or checking in. Apple absolutely should not be let off the hook here regarding this and needs to address it immediately.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Those saying that Apple doesn't have to do anything for the customer outside of replacing the battery are insane. They have a responsibility to work with the FAA on getting approved documents to travelers who have had their affected MacBook Pro's battery replaced or stating that it wasn't in the affected range. Apple absolutely cannot just say "well we are replacing your batteries." They have a responsibility to straighten this out with the FAA or they are going to lose a ton of business customers who don't want to risk not getting on their flight or not being able to take their MacBook Pro.

The problem, though, is how this ban occurred. The FAA (and similar regulating authorities) could have banned only those MBPs within the affected range and for which no battery replacement had occurred. In that case, they and Apple might have been able to reach agreement as to how machine type and/or a repair could be proven. And as you say, it would be in Apple's interest to assist such a process -- and they no doubt would do so.

Instead, the bans generally are without regard for whether a repair occurred, and in some cases, without regard for whether the MBP was affected in the first place. With that type of overreaching ban, no proof works because the regulator simply doesn't care. We're in this situation because the regulators decided to make it easy on themselves with a blanket exclusion, no proof of anything required or considered.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
Realistically, there is no way that the TSA checkers at airports are going to be able to tell one model of Apple laptop from another, much less down to the detail of which specific years of which models may or may not be problematic. At least no way that won't slow security checks down even more than usual. There's also no good way for them to tell whether a potentially bad laptop has been fixed. I am a bit surprised that some idiot hasn't decided that this is hilarious and embarks on a crusade to make the airlines folks (their lawyers, anyway) terrified of any laptop with lithium-ion batteries and thus spreading this particular virus to the entire laptop field.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Haven't heard back from the OP.
Wondering what the resolution was...?

(we may never know...)

Last edited:

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
My airline banned all 15 inch MacBook pro's regardless of model/year. No check-in and no carry on. Yeah that would suck if you showed up with one. :(

Queen6

macrumors G4
Regardless of the origin I keep my notebooks in sleeves and never had an issue, admittedly I'm mostly flying in the APAC region. I will say as a longterm traveller it's just getting worse. Had countless run in's with airport security IMO as long as what's in my carryon is within the bounds of the law and airline requirements the rest is absolutely none of their business.

I frequently travel internationally, so know the game. I endeavour to make it easy for security, equally if they want to play I'm all to happy to engage and go at it...

Q-6

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Yesterday my partner and I were supposed to Travel from Siem Reap to Hanói. We were not allowed inside the plane because of our MacBook Pro 15". Nobody grave a solution to us, nobody helped us (neither police or the aithorities)! I tried to speak with Apple and it was impossible. We started our trip over 2 months ago around South East Asia and we had no problem. We were not aware of this Mac issue problem! Now, who takes responsibility of all the money we lost (lost flight, hotels, excursions all paid)? We have now to take a +30h trip (different buses and trains) up to our next destination. We were treated as we had a bomb. It is crazy.
Reading in the internet I see that a battery replacement is provided in Mac stores, but it takes 2/3 weeks (too much for our time in here). We are from Spain, just in the other side of the glove.
Do you know any compensation processes from Mac? Thank you.
Another option, backup, format, erase all data, take hammer to the Mac, continue on the trip. Either way a cost and could easily been less expensive. And a whole lot more fun. I would sacrifice the Mac. As another has posted, a good reason to always have travel insurance when traveling. Hope your trip ended on a positive note.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Another option, backup, format, erase all data, take hammer to the Mac, continue on the trip. Either way a cost and could easily been less expensive. And a whole lot more fun. I would sacrifice the Mac. As another has posted, a good reason to always have travel insurance when traveling. Hope your trip ended on a positive note.

As another member posted refusal due to a noncompliance, insurance wont pay out. I initially thought the same as you. One either gets creative or eats the cost, personally if the battery was a known good I'd have just presented the notebook in a sleeve as I've very rarely been required to remove the computer, and I fly internationally frequently.

Q-6

Queen6

macrumors G4

Erase all data, and sell the Mac, me thinks a far better option than the "Hammer" Again the insurance is very likely not going to pay out.

Q-6

Bow Commander

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
Speaking from experience, they do things a little differently at the Siem Reap airport. I wonder if you'll have any issues elsewhere.

I love that city. I'm guessing you visited the temples?

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
All the responsibility lies with you, unfortunately.

You could’ve been better informed before traveling and left the MacBook home.

OR - upon realizing you couldn’t travel with It, you could have shipped it home or to a friend or relative, and continued on your journey.

That said: I wouldn’t trust that any airline that bans those MacBooks would allow a “repaired/refurbished“ one on. I wouldn’t try to travel with it period.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Erase all data, and sell the Mac, me thinks a far better option than the "Hammer" Again the insurance is very likely not going to pay out.

Q-6
I was thinking at the airport security in a foreign country. OK keep the Mac just a couple of steps I need to do. I.E. airport confiscated. The hammer or shoe just to keep them honest. Correct if one had a day or so maybe sell it in that country if legal. My luck it would be illegal and my troubles would be worse. For me scrap the Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.