Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muyfa666

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2019
Sweden
You do.

Seriously, take some responsibility. Every government agency in the world tells travelers to be aware of what you can pack in your carry-on and checked baggage before arriving at the airport.

Insurance would be useless in this situation. Trip cancellation insurance will only pay out for eligible "covered causes" such as medical, employment, weather, travel visa, etc. Trying to bring a prohibited item onto a plane is not a covered cause.
As much as I would like to offer constructive advice, this quote is probably the full extent of the truth. This is on you, OP. You need to follow the airline rules and policys, even when you are unaware of them, so to speak.

On a the same subject, how would the airline know if you changed your battery at all? Will Apple put some kind of permanent stick on you MB when they replaced the battery?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I don't think the OP ever replied and posted the ultimate outcome.
I don't think we'll be seeing him/her again.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Those saying that Apple doesn't have to do anything for the customer outside of replacing the battery are insane. They have a responsibility to work with the FAA on getting approved documents to travelers who have had their affected MacBook Pro's battery replaced or stating that it wasn't in the affected range. Apple absolutely cannot just say "well we are replacing your batteries." They have a responsibility to straighten this out with the FAA or they are going to lose a ton of business customers who don't want to risk not getting on their flight or not being able to take their MacBook Pro.

I'm not sure if it matters if you have the documentation.

Some airlines have a blanket ban on all 15" MacBook Pros.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.