Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gerlan

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2009
UK Pro often pulls out 'STD' DSLR to take candids in between set ups?
Agree hire Pro- My brother received quotes between £1500.00-£2500.00 for niece's wedding and settled on person who 'connected' with them at home visit- haven't seen official photos yet but i know she was worth it just by observation.
If your friend really can't afford a Pro- what about local UNIVERSITY/COLLEGE lecturer recommending top notch student? Better than no Pro at all and they should really do their best if only for some fumnds and their portfolio? But get lecturer to recommend person suitable.

Meanwhile you will have loads of opportunity to get your shots- have i mentioned this??

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Thanks for spending your time writing this, really enlightening. And yea, guess its very competitive there but still, to me doesn't justify the right getting pissed off cause they will have more then 1 shot of a single place and that let say they didn't have a great shot there, there are still many other great shots taken from that day that will compensate this problem. Of course he could also be polite and request to the guest to let him do his work first and later let the guest take photos.

Well I heard that some weddings, there are 2 photogs, 1 is for official and the other as candid. Anyone did/seen this before?

Yes, I've heard of teams that have one designated photographer for doing candids in addition to the main photographer and assistants getting the more formal shots.

As for getting shots "of a single place:" it's also about single moments (the first appearance of the bride, the father of the bride handing her off to the groom, the groom putting a ring on the bride's finger, the first kiss, the bouquet being tossed and caught, etc.). A missed moment cannot be redone.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
As for getting shots "of a single place:" it's also about single moments (the first appearance of the bride, the father of the bride handing her off to the groom, the groom putting a ring on the bride's finger, the first kiss, the bouquet being tossed and caught, etc.). A missed moment cannot be redone.
Excellent examples, totally forgot about those :eek:

Marlat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Germany
UK Pro often pulls out 'STD' DSLR to take candids in between set ups?
Agree hire Pro- My brother received quotes between £1500.00-£2500.00 for niece's wedding and settled on person who 'connected' with them at home visit- haven't seen official photos yet but i know she was worth it just by observation.
If your friend really can't afford a Pro- what about local UNIVERSITY/COLLEGE lecturer recommending top notch student? Better than no Pro at all and they should really do their best if only for some fumnds and their portfolio? But get lecturer to recommend person suitable.

Meanwhile you will have loads of opportunity to get your shots- have i mentioned this??

I'll qoute the last of your posts, but will comment on some earlier ones.

Your lens advice is well appreciated, but I don't have a Nikon DSLR, I got a Pentax one ;) That's no disadvantage, but it has some limitations. Primarily concerning the autofocus. It's a bit noisy - and almost none third party lenses have HSM (or SWM or whatever it's called by the other manufactures). That's why I'm currently looking for a tele zoom (the Pentax one and the Sigma one have sonic motors in them).

Regarding CS4, I'm not showing off, I just had the luck, that I'm a student and got the version dirt cheap - otherwise I would have used Apple iPhoto which I got with my macbook. :)

I'm really grateful for all your tips and hints. I'll remember them when it's time. :)

Marlat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Germany
Excellent examples, totally forgot about those :eek:

I guess even the 'pro' will have his gripes with these shots :D As I heard, the priest is a bit anal, and doesn't allow any photos at all. But the groom is in discussion with him. Let's see what's coming out of this. :rolleyes:

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
the priest is a bit anal, and doesn't allow any photos at all.

Has he done a wedding in the past 30 years?

It sounds like you're going into a hostile situation; just stay cool and relaxed when someone starts yelling at you.

Marlat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Germany
Has he done a wedding in the past 30 years?

It sounds like you're going into a hostile situation; just stay cool and relaxed when someone starts yelling at you.

To keep it short: my buddy is catholic and his bride is protestant. So he wanted a catholic wedding, but the church said no (the pries said he hadn't time). Then they wanted to be married by a protestant, and now the catholic church is giving them a hard time. I don't really know what the new priest is so mad against photographs. But the groom'll talk to him, maybe it's just a misunderstanding.

Marlat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Germany
The DA* 55-135mm f2.8 would be in a useful range.

I still highly recommend the Pentax 360 FGZ wireless flash unit...

If you get one, be sure to make large bounce card for it and use it wirelessly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNCmuExlHvM

Regarding flashes: which batteries should I use? I have some eneloop 2100mAh ones here, are they enough, or should I get stronger ones?

And second: do I understand wireless flash right? The on body flash fires a small impulse that the external flash gun recieves and triggers it to fire a flash blast?

EDIT: The youtube link sounds really interessting, gotta try it when I have chosen a flash unit. I am a bit jumpy on my decision :)

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Regarding flashes: which batteries should I use? I have some eneloop 2100mAh ones here, are they enough, or should I get stronger ones?

And second: do I understand wireless flash right? The on body flash fires a small impulse that the external flash gun recieves and triggers it to fire a flash blast?

EDIT: The youtube link sounds really interessting, gotta try it when I have chosen a flash unit. I am a bit jumpy on my decision :)

2100mAh should be fine, be sure to carry a set of 4 spares though, depends on how many times you use the flash obviously, as the batteries drain towards empty the time it takes to charge the flash increases.

Yes you are correct, popup the internal Flash to trigger the wireless flash, it works well.

Think of this as an opportunity to have some fun and be creative, don't stress, you have the Pro to take all the stress :p, enjoy yourself :)

Marlat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Germany
2100mAh should be fine, be sure to carry a set of 4 spares though, depends on how many times you use the flash obviously, as the batteries drain towards empty the time it takes to charge the flash increases.

Yes you are correct, popup the internal Flash to trigger the wireless flash, it works well.

Think of this as an opportunity to have some fun and be creative, don't stress, you have the Pro to take all the stress :p, enjoy yourself :)

Thank god, that the wedding is in june, that give me enough time to practice :)

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
I am going to a wedding this weekend. The B&G just asked me to "take a few candid shots."

Seems like an easy situation to find yourself in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.