Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

da meat tree

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
2q2frdj.jpg

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
This little guy needs the light to grow up big, strong, and healthy...

3493768869_c976b3866b_b.jpg

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
Photo contest is over for this week. Very interesting interpretations.

I'll try to have the winner up later tonight or tomorrow morning at the latest.

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
I finally have a winner. Sorry it took so long. It was really hard to choose with so many very different and interesting interpretations this week. Of course it's my fault for choosing such a broad theme.

I really suck at this, so please bare with and take my critiques with a huge grain of salt.

Lu0s3r322 - Aww, the warm glow of incandescent. You've captured it well, though, I would have liked to see a square frame showing more of the glow on the top and bottom, if that makes sense.

Ryan1524 - Lots of energy in this photo. Great use of long exposure. i feel, though, the crop is a little tight on the left, I'd like to see where the embers are going.

SUPERSTEVE9219 - Great photo. Love the perspective. Unusual and different, lot's of detail. Great movement in the water.

biggiej42 - Great interpretation of energy. Beautiful photo, very calming overall, but at the same time lots of people and activity on the boats. Love it. There could be a little more room in front of the boat on the left, but that's being nit picky.

deep diver - Someone mentioned last week that you should think about doing product photography. This is another great example. Nice detail and clarity. However, the bulb doesn't appear to be on, lacking energy.

AxisOfBeagles - Great interpretation! I can feel the power of the water. The rainbow accentuates it, along with the glistening rock. The piece of land in front give the photo depth. Nice work.

Freewayjim - I like how this photo shows that a power plant can exist peacefully with nature and humans. The railing leads the eye around nicely. It might have been better if the subject weren't leaning.

PeteB - Beautiful colors and clarity. This photo just pops. However, I have to think too hard to get how this relates to energy. Hope that makes sense.

golfmaster - Great capture of energy! But from a photographic point of view, most of the highlights are blown out, making it a little hard on the eyes.

JDDavis - I love this photo! The detail in the foreground is in sharp contrast to the background, giving the power plant a ghostly almost ominous feel. The black and white accentuates this feeling. Well done!

daustin - Nice clean shot. The white really makes the green pop. I'm having a hard time finding a focal point, but maybe this photo doesn't need one.

cenetti - Very interesting photo. Nice interpretation and creativity. The film grain accentuates the fact that candle light and now incandescents are old forms of light.

mickbab - Great food shot. In fact, I had to stop right here and get a bowl of cereal because you made it look so enticing. Nice DOF and clarity. More of a focus on the milk and maybe some splash might give this photo more movement creating some energy.

feurschlange - I love the patterns in this shot and how the beam leading to the subject breaks up the patterns with an angle. Nice use of the rule of thirds.

RedDragon870503 - The movement of the water and the flexing leg muscles does show a lot of energy, but this photo leaves me wanting to see their faces and maybe some of the crowd. I think that would really up the energy level. Very nice stop motion, though.

CK Williams - Lots of energy in this photo in both the fire and water. Very good interpretation. I have to ask, is this a simulation or a controlled environment? I hope you weren't in any danger getting this shot.

jguillemin17 - WOW! This shot is amazing in so many ways. I love the lighting both in front of the subject and behind. The color contrast really brings out the subject. Lots of energy with the steam, the lights and the sun.

NintendoChick - I love this photo. It really shows the after affect of energy. I like the spaace you've left at the top. The reflection in the shadow is intriguing. I would love to see what this looks like with the bulb on, if it still works.

Chappers - Kids and energy go hand and hand. I really like this interpretation. Great selective focus and stop motion. You can see the determination in his face. Oh, and what a cutie.

da meat tree - This photo leaves me guessing how it relates to energy. Nice drawing, though and I'd like to see the rest of it.

compuwar - Very literal interpretation of energy. I think it could be more interesting.

JohnMC - Beautiful shot. I can almost see the snow melting under the warm sun. Very nice composition.

Fuzzy14 - You've managed to up the anty in this photo. Kids plus swing equals double the amount of energy. Great capture of motion, selective focus and the expression on his face is priceless. Good job.

Indydenny - Interesting photo. Lots to look at. I like the motion blur behind the mirror. I'm having a hard time finding the focal point. I would have liked to see more of the windmills.

emotta - Great use of selective focus and perspective. The white against the orange is very clean. I think, the photo would be more effective if the light were on.

NeGRit0 - I can almost see that little guy ready to burst open. NIce use of DOF to isolate the subject, but I find the light a little distracting.

Runner up - Fuzzy14 - I love this not so literal interpretation, as with Chappers' photo, kids are a great example of energy. The swing adds another level. i can feel the energy it took for him to get that high. Well done.

Runner up - JDDavis - A very literal interpretation, but there is more going on in this photo. The ghostly appearance of the nuclear power plant shows how we as a society are still a bit fearful of this kind of energy. Love the contrast. Stunning work.

The winner is - jguillemin17 - With so many sources of energy, this photo is a great interpretation. Also, this a very well composed photo. The lighting of the subject is beautiful, the steam rising to the lights leads your eye to the sun which, along with beams, leads right back to the subject. The lighting is fantastic. Wonderful job all around.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Great week and great judging by beatzfreak - thank you for the comments

Good work jguillemin17 Well done.

I also loved biggiej42's photo -very nice. Also NintendoChicks - as always very clever and well executed.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
beatzfreak - thanks for the comment. I had very limited time on this one. I threw a black cloth over the patio table and stuck the bulb in the umbrella hole. Very low tech & no available electricity. :D I pushed up the highlights as much as I could without it looking over processed. (BTW, I used the same black cloth and my patio chair for the sax last week.)

Congrats to the winners.

Chappers - I love these pictures of your son. I wonder, if the theme were sleep or rest, would you have to sit out that week?????????

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated. Plant Scherer is very ominous in person. It is a huge place. Ironically that lake is one of the cleanest in Georgia.

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
Congratulations jguillemin17, a very nice photo.

Thanks beatzfreak for the comments. And yes, the fire was as safe as a training environment can be. Makes it tough though to snap a photo with all the gear on. :)

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
beatzfreak - thanks for the comment. I had very limited time on this one. I threw a black cloth over the patio table and stuck the bulb in the umbrella hole. Very low tech & no available electricity. :D I pushed up the highlights as much as I could without it looking over processed. (BTW, I used the same black cloth and my patio chair for the sax last week.)

Congrats to the winners.

Chappers - I love these pictures of your son. I wonder, if the theme were sleep or rest, would you have to sit out that week?????????

I continue to like your photos too, the whole stock photography thing has got your name on it.

Luckily my boy does stop for a good rest twice a day but he does love running.

feuerschlange

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
Congratulations jguillemin17!

Very nice capture indeed.

Thanks to beatzfreak for commenting the entry photographs.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Has this week's contest started? I cannot seem to find the thread.

Not yet - we are waiting for jguillemin17, who I emailed to congratulate and to come back and start the contest.

The general rule (decided some months ago) is that we wait 48 hours and then one of the runners-up start the contest if the winner doesn't come back.

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
Not yet - we are waiting for jguillemin17, who I emailed to congratulate and to come back and start the contest.

The general rule (decided some months ago) is that we wait 48 hours and then one of the runners-up start the contest if the winner doesn't come back.

I also emailed jguillemin17 right after I put up the results yesterday. Hopefully we'll hear back soon.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Beatzfreak-

When does the 48hr hack hit and will you send an email to whomever you wish to pick a subject?

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
Beatzfreak-

When does the 48hr hack hit and will you send an email to whomever you wish to pick a subject?

I'll make it easy. If we don't hear from jguillemin17 before 2pm EDT tomorrow, May 5th (48 hours after I announced the winner), you choose the theme for this week. So start thinking. ;)

Hope that's OK with everyone. Seems to be within the rules.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
I agree ^

It is unfortunate that the winner may have reasons for not being able to sign on, but I think in order to keep these threads going and to keep interest, it is best to move forward.

I would say a minimum of 48 hours is necessary, lets hope that jguillemin17 will sign on in that time and at least let us know he is thinking of a new theme. Unfortunately, if you take a look at his profile, he has only posted once (his picture) and that was also his last activity - also a newbie. The odds of him signing in for this are unlikely...

Indydenny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Midwest
I really suck at this, so please bare with and take my critiques with a huge grain of salt.

Thanks Beatzfreak for the feedback. Good choices! BTW, I think/hope you meant BEAR WITH not BARE WITH!

Indydenny - Interesting photo. Lots to look at. I like the motion blur behind the mirror. I'm having a hard time finding the focal point. I would have liked to see more of the windmills.

I agree with you on the photo. I was just disappointed that, as a novice, I didn't have anything to place into the contest so grabbed the camera when I saw the windmills. Took the same road again today and took another. (I know, shouldn't be shooting while driving.) Does this have a focal point or is the whole concept just silly? Thanks again. These contests are a lot of fun for an "old guy" with a new hobby!

3503256336_be5d10740c_o.jpg

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Thanks Beatzfreak for the feedback. Good choices! BTW, I think/hope you meant BEAR WITH not BARE WITH!

I agree with you on the photo. I was just disappointed that, as a novice, I didn't have anything to place into the contest so grabbed the camera when I saw the windmills. Took the same road again today and took another. (I know, shouldn't be shooting while driving.) Does this have a focal point or is the whole concept just silly? Thanks again. These contests are a lot of fun for an "old guy" with a new hobby!

Hey, that looks familiar! Were you in california? I remember all those wind mills on my way to Palm Springs last summer!

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Indydenny - don't apologize for being a novice. We all start at the beginning. Digital photography makes it all a lot easier to produce an interesting image. I can see several ways using cropping and rotation, color management, light and contrast adjustments, etc. to make this photo much more interesting. I like the wind mills behind (in the mirror) and ahead. I wonder what you might have done with that to bring out a message.

Keep at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.