Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deanjohnson7

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2005
berkeley, ca
great work rouxeny; truly an excellent shot. thank you phrasikleia for the critique on everyone's shots. I really appreciate the effort to comment on everyone's photos. I don't know about everyone else, but I learn a lot from these critiques.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Loved the photo rouxeny - well done.

And a big thank you to Phrasikleia for above and beyond the call of duty in the judging department

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Forty-five submissions! Wow. This was a big week for the contest. My job was not easy, as there are so many great photos in this lot. I've decided to comment critically on each and every one. I hope my comments are constructive enough.

NeGRit0 This one might have worked better as a macro shot.

Those are my impressions, for what they're worth. There are a lot of great photos here, and I could easily have chosen several of them as winners. Alas, there can only be one winning photo, so I will name rouxeny as this week's winner, since the selective focus in this photo really adds to its message. Congratulations, rouxeny, the next contest is yours.

I know. I just recently got my first DSLR and honestly im not really sure how to work most of the features. Maybe i should read the manual. lol. I was pretty good with my point n shoot, but i had no idea DSLR's were so... open, if you will. Plus i only have the kit lens, which i here arent that great.

Also, has this weeks contest been started yet? I did not see it.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Nice shot Rouxeny, it's one of those shots that make you smile. :D And many thanks to Phrasikleia for critiquing every shot. A couple sentences per picture helps way more than one would think. After seeing your shots, I know the critique is coming from a great, seasoned photographer.

I also think this week had the best collective submissions. Great pictures from everyone! Let's do it again some time. ;)

bootedbear

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2004
Austin, TX
Thanks much Phrasikleia for the feedback on all the photos. I learn a lot not only on the feedback of my own photos, but on reading the feedback on all of them.

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Thanks folks. That photo is a shot of my GF's mini daschund, obviously shot with a fisheye (Canon 15mm f/2.8). I like the little smile that he looks like he's got, but it's probably just a byproduct of him chewing.

Next contest is up!

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
rusting alfa
Alright now that this week's contest is over do you mind providing the details of the Alfa? It looks like a GTV... maybe an Alfetta. It hurts to see something like that rusting, my Dad has two Alfas in the garage so the family is kind of attached to them. :eek:

sreedy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Somerset
sreedy I really like the texture and the faint repetition of the subject. The lighting is pretty flat; perhaps a fill flash would have helped?

Those are my impressions, for what they're worth. There are a lot of great photos here, and I could easily have chosen several of them as winners. Alas, there can only be one winning photo, so I will name rouxeny as this week's winner, since the selective focus in this photo really adds to its message. Congratulations, rouxeny, the next contest is yours.

Well done rouxeny, thought yours was a great image. Thanks for the feedback Phrasikleia as a beginner I really appreciate it, I might even pop back to that site (near work) and recreate using fill flash as you suggested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.