Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deleon

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
Anyone see the weight of the new Magic Keyboard. I'm most interested in the 13 inch version. I'm wondering if the new one is any heavier that will offset the weight savings of the new iPad itself.

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
I looked all over the Apple website and could not find the dimensions or weight of the M4 Pro Magic Keyboard - also curious how much lighter it is than previous gen.

• Wow
Reactions: stinksroundhere

SteveMc

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
I suspect it’s heavier, or they would have been bragging about the weight, but I’d love to be wrong about that. Haven’t been able to find any details yet.

Reactions: Macalway

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
I actually chatted with Apple online support and asked them and their response was that the don't list the weights of accessories usually but if I wait until a 3rd party vendor listed it (e.g. Amazon) they will list the weight. Really not helpful. My guess is that it only marginally lighter than the previous one.

deleon

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
On the Engadget write up, they stated the same thing as MrMLK stated. No details but it will be lighter.
"Unfortunately, we didn't get to try the new Magic Keyboard Apple is producing for the iPad Pro, but Apple says it's thinner and lighter than the old model. That older one will still be available for the iPad Air."

SteveMc

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Good point about the weight balance. Between the lighter iPad and the aluminum in the base of the keyboard, I’m curious to see if / how that’s changed.

Reactions: jazz1

deleon

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
The keyboards are all give and take. None are perfect. The Smart Keyboard was better balanced and lighter but I didn't like typing on it, felt so stiff. Magic Keyboard is great for typing but I feel it is heavy. Doesn't a MacBook Air weight less than the old pro with Magic Keyboard. And yet, I'm getting another pro with another Magic Keyboard. It is a perfect content consumption device for me with a few interactions. Full work mode is still a laptop.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Is anyone worried that the aluminum deck will scratch the screen of the iPad? There doesn't seem to be any rubber that will separate the glass from the aluminum, as there is on the MacBooks.

Reactions: nj-morris

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
One of my main concerns is that the new keyboard seems to make the iPad lean further back, and I can't help but think it's going to fall backwards a lot more than the old one.
Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 09.46.24.png

Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 09.46.11.png

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
The new one will not fall back more than the old one...thin and lighter also with more sturdier base is a good indication
I like the full aluminium base (minus the between keys space and trackpad)

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Is anyone worried that the aluminum deck will scratch the screen of the iPad? There doesn't seem to be any rubber that will separate the glass from the aluminum, as there is on the MacBooks.
Yeah this is a good point, I'm noticing my 12-inch MacBook from 2017 has accumulated a lot of wear and tear around the part where the keyboard meets the trackpad/palm rests, and that has the rubber lining. Can't imagine the iPad would do very well without it.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Hope not but definitely a valid concern

atownguy

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2020
I‘ve seen a couple people mention that there is in fact a rubber color matched perimeter around the keyboard deck for this very reason. Myke Hurly definitely mentioned it on the Upgrade podcast I just listened too, and I saw someone else post about it on Mastodon or Twitter (but now I can’t find the post).

Last edited:

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
One of my main concerns is that the new keyboard seems to make the iPad lean further back, and I can't help but think it's going to fall backwards a lot more than the old one.
View attachment 2375770
View attachment 2375771
Thanks for posting this - this is a really cool comparison of how much thinner even the keyboard is compared to the last version.

Have you seen a similar comparison of how the new model looks when the keyboard is closed in comparison to the old one? I carry mine around a lot so I’ve been interested in seeing that, but haven’t found too many photos of an iPad Pro in a closed keyboard at all.

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I actually chatted with Apple online support and asked them and their response was that the don't list the weights of accessories usually but if I wait until a 3rd party vendor listed it (e.g. Amazon) they will list the weight. Really not helpful. My guess is that it only marginally lighter than the previous one.
Weight and specks from Amazon Prime App
Shipping weight, no unit weight listed

Technical Details​

Package Dimensions‎11.95 x 9.57 x 0.98 inches
Item Weight‎2.29 pounds
Manufacturer‎Apple
Language‎English
ASIN‎B0D3J63BWD
Country of Origin‎China
Item model number‎MWR53LL/A
Date First Available‎May 7, 2024

Reactions: Isengardtom

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Thanks for posting this - this is a really cool comparison of how much thinner even the keyboard is compared to the last version.

Have you seen a similar comparison of how the new model looks when the keyboard is closed in comparison to the old one? I carry mine around a lot so I’ve been interested in seeing that, but haven’t found too many photos of an iPad Pro in a closed keyboard at all.
In this video after the 2 min mark you see it with the MK closed.
Video = DailyTekk

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio

Technical Details​

Item Weight‎2.29 pounds
Manufacturer‎Apple
Language‎English
ASIN‎B0D3J63BWD
Country of Origin‎China

Pretty sure Amazon lists the shipping weight. The keyboard itself should be less.

Reactions: Davidalan

iteklog

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
NNJ/NYC
I also been wanting to know this, having the 2018 iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard, the combination is a bit heavy, I wanted to upgrade to the 13 inch version but I tried it and it was way to heavy to be portable.

Now that I order the new iPad Pro 13 with the keyboard I'm wondering of how light the combination should feel, hopefully thinner and more portable.

Also it does look like the new Magic Keyboard allows the iPad to lean back more, that is great, can't wait for next week!

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK

Technical Details​

Item Weight‎2.29 pounds
Manufacturer‎Apple
Language‎English
ASIN‎B0D3J63BWD
Country of Origin‎China
Do you have the equivalent details for the old magic keyboard for comparison?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.