Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
After update to macOS 13 I mentioned weird graphics bug during restoring windows from minimization.
Firstly I thought that is application bug, but it happens to any app (for example Apple Notes, Telegram, DayOne, WhatsApp).
When I click to minimized app in dock its windows will instantly appears for part of second and then disappears until restore animation is finished. I captured it in video.

Anyone else have this bug? Restart didn't help. macOS 13.0.1 22A400.

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

Ladin007

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2016
After update to macOS 13 I mentioned weird graphics bug during restoring windows from minimization.
Firstly I thought that is application bug, but it happens to any app (for example Apple Notes, Telegram, DayOne, WhatsApp).
When I click to minimized app in dock its windows will instantly appears for part of second and then disappears until restore animation is finished. I captured it in video.

Anyone else have this bug? Restart didn't help. macOS 13.0.1 22A400.
Ja jedu na Venture od prvni bety, ale tohle vidim poprve. Zkousel si preinstalovat system??

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Can you reproduce it every time? I think I saw it happen once for me, but now I can't seem to reproduce.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
I can't reproduce it on Venture 13.1. Weird that you see it every time. It also happens if you create a new local macOS account for testing and log into that?

Edit:

OK, I can reproduce it, but not every time. It seems related to having the Dock at the bottom of the screen and having the ”Minimize windows into application” turned on in System Settings.

What happens if you temporarily move the Dock to one of the sides – does it still happen for you then?

Last edited:

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I'm not seeing this issue on a Mac Studio with either the "Minimize" or "Genie" setting. Perhaps your Mac is under-spec'd for running Ventura?

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
I can't reproduce it on Venture 13.1. Weird that you see it every time. It also happens if you create a new local macOS account for testing and log into that?

Edit:

OK, I can reproduce it, but not every time. It seems related to having the Dock at the bottom of the screen and having the ”Minimize windows into application” turned on in System Settings.

What happens if you temporarily move the Dock to one of the sides – does it still happen for you then?
I already tried it with dock on the left - same issue for me.
I'm not seeing this issue on a Mac Studio with either the "Minimize" or "Genie" setting. Perhaps your Mac is under-spec'd for running Ventura?
My mac is under-spec what? I have MacBook Pro 14" 2021 with M1Pro. A tried it also with only external 4K display connected and it still happens.

Reactions: Larsvonhier

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
OK, it seems unrelated to where the Dock is positioned.

I can reproduce it, but not every time. To reproduce, have ”Minimize windows into application” turned on in System Settings. Then with an app window in front, press ⌘M to minimize it into its app icon in the Dock. Then click the app icon in the dock to un-minimize the window. Now do this several times in succession; ⌘M, click app icon in Dock – ⌘M, click app icon in Dock – ⌘M, click app icon in Dock…

Keep looking at the window and you should eventually see what @kecinzer means. Here's a screen recording I captured:

Now, why it happens every time for you @kecinzer and not for the rest of us I have no idea about. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: kecinzer

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Clearly you Mac should run it just fine. What resolution is your monitor set to?

did you try a test account? and what happens if you change from scale effect to genie effect? (just curious).

Did you try to reproduce it? :) Try with the Notes.app.

Happens also with the genie effect.

I'm also wondering if it happens with every window for you @kecinzer?

For me it happens every now and then with the Notes.app window, but for reason not at all or not at often with other windows. Hmm...

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
OK, it seems unrelated to where the Dock is positioned.

I can reproduce it, but not every time. To reproduce, have ”Minimize windows into application” turned on in System Settings. Then with an app window in front, press ⌘M to minimize it into its app icon in the Dock. Then click the app icon in the dock to un-minimize the window. Now do this several times in succession; ⌘M, click app icon in Dock – ⌘M, click app icon in Dock – ⌘M, click app icon in Dock…

Keep looking at the window and you should eventually see what @kecinzer means. Here's a screen recording I captured:

View attachment 2145271

Now, why it happens every time for you @kecinzer and not for the rest of us I have no idea about. 🤷‍♂️
Thank you for this test. It not happend every minimize and restore. Its same as you.
It seems that some apps dont have this issue.
Apps that are affected: Notes, Music, Day One, Beeper, Messages

Reactions: star-affinity

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
I tried it on macOS 13.1 beta 3, still happening. I already sent feedback.
Seems to depend on the GPU used. No such glitches here with 13.3b2 on a RX280 in Mac Pro.
edit: after enabling/disabling stage manager and minimizing/restoring to dock there is a one-time faulty flicker of the app window contours but after that everything is back to ok as long as stage manager is left at same state.

Last edited:

r2.d2

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2023
This is happening on macOS 14 as well. And I believe this did happen on versions prior to 13 as well. Previously I had this pretty much with the Music app only, now happens with most of the apps.

To reproduce the issue, you need to go to Settings -> Desktop & Dock and enable Minimize windows into application icon. I use the Genie Effect but also happens with the Scale Effect. The glitch happens in 60-70%, so sometimes windows open smoothly.

It is also possible to reproduce the bug with Minimize windows into application icon disabled. In this case, you need to minimize the window as usual but restore it by clicking the application icon in the dock, not the thumbnail. The same 60-70% of attempts have this glitch.

I had this bug on an old MacBook Pro (mid-2014) with a discrete Nvidia GPU and now have it on M1 MacBook Pro (2011).

I am 99% positive Apple does know about the issue unless they are blind. This is how they care.

r2.d2

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2023
Just wanted to add that Messages, Calendar, Mail, and Finder apps work well. I can't reproduce this issue. Also, some third-party apps such as RubyMine (I am a software developer), and a few other apps are fine. At the same time the Music app, which is also a native macOS app, and Slack which is not, both have this issue.

This might be something in the applications, the way they implemented 🤷‍♂️

r2.d2

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2023
Indeed but there is another problem with it – I don't like it 😀 And it still doesn't replace the dock completely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.