Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrea1973

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2023
Still there in Sonoma 14.1.2.
I tried different macbook, including M3, in a mac store, all get the issue. I used the Terminal application to reproduce the bug. Chrome in severely affected in my case (macbook 16, 2019, Intel i9).

• Sad
Reactions: r2.d2

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
This thread showed up when I searched the forum for "genie effect problem", as I have seen this chopped animation every now and then lately, when unhiding an app from the Dock. Perhaps once a day. Often that would be Mail.

This is on my new M2 Pro Mini. I've never seen it before, on my previous M1 and M2 mac minis, running Big Sur or Ventura (or the two weeks I tried out Sonoma, for that matter), with varying amounts of memory. Mostly using the same monitor configuration and the Dock on the right side, in auto-hide mode, and I haven't been using Stagemanager since trying it out for a few weeks when it was new.

I've chosen the zoom instead of "genie" option now, and I'll see if that helps.

(I do suspect that this is akin to the "SOCD watchdog expired" kernel panic that happened on my M1's, which I and others speculate would be something wrong deep in the SOC/unifiedmemory design of the M processors.)

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I've chosen the zoom instead of "genie" option now, and I'll see if that helps.

No. Still happens.
Seems to happen when I'm in one space, like a full screen browser, and I click an app in the Dock that is locked to a different space, so both the zoom/genie effect and the changing of spaces happens at once.

r2.d2

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2023
The only solution I know is to disable this setting and restore the applications by clicking the application thumbnail in the doc rather than the application icon.
Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 18.54.01.png

I started noticing this many-many years ago and this was only the case with the Music app, everything else worked well. Today I have this issue with many other apps as well, native and third-party.

It looks like a kind of race condition to me. Every time you click an application icon in the Dock, it first brings the window and then runs the Genie effect. Another option I can think of is Apple changed something in their APIs, probably some events or protocols. Some of the apps got an update, but others might still be using deprecated APIs.

Just wondering does Tim Cook have a Mac? I would like to see his face when he's enjoying this amazing Genie effect. Especially at some of Apple's public events.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.