Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Urban Legen

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
Im looking to buy a Mophie wireless charging base just want to make sure if all of them support 7.5W. I see some boxes state up to 7.5W but others don't. Model number looks to be the same just the box is different.

yegon

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
Quite pleased with the Ravpower Hyperair vertical stand, bought two.

7.5w, cushioned so works well with naked phone.

Only minor niggles are that the green led that pulses when charging is

-a little too large, but easily rectified with a sliver of discreetly placed duct tape

-continues to pulse when fully charged. Would be better if it turned solid. Is that even an option with Qi wireless charging standard?

Anyway, they work well. Only just came out this week on Amazon here in the UK, been waiting for their release, appeared a few weeks ago in the US. Was tempted by the Anker Powerwave stand but it’s white (would look lousy with my setup) and is slippy by all accounts and ill suited to naked phones.

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
Is the Samsung stand pad with the leather back worth buying? Can get one for a big discount.
Have 2 Belkin 15W for bedroom but want a stand for my office desk, don't want a cheap one already had one die.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I like what I read about this one, mainly that there is no light that stays on. Can I just use my Apple cord and plug with this, or must I -- or should I -- buy something separate?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZYLQ2TP/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

• ✓ LIGHTNING FAST AND CASE COMPATIBLE: The coolest wireless phone charger (With a Micro USB Jack). Enjoy 1.4 times faster charging and save your precious time and energy! Compatible with most kinds of cases, including tough armor case, rubber case, hybrid case, plastic/TPU/PC cases ect.(Not including magnetic metal plate case)
  • ✓ GET THIS WIRELESS CHARGER RISK FREE: Since your satisfaction is our top priority, this wireless standing charger is backed by our 60-day money back guarantee policy! By using QC 2.0 adapter (NOT INCLUDED) or original adapters and cables, enables fast charging on the spot

For maximum flexibility, I'd opt for this charger (which will do USB-PD (Power Delivery) directly to your phone with one of Apple's USB-C-Lightning cables), which also does QC 3.0 (Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0) (required for nearly every 'fast' wireless charger):
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product...sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ

And you need a QC-compatible USB-A to Micro-USB cable:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B019Q3T7YG/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013
  • ✓ LIGHTNING FAST AND CASE COMPATIBLE: The coolest wireless phone charger (With a Micro USB Jack). Enjoy 1.4 times faster charging and save your precious time and energy! Compatible with most kinds of cases, including tough armor case, rubber case, hybrid case, plastic/TPU/PC cases ect.(Not including magnetic metal plate case)
  • ✓ GET THIS WIRELESS CHARGER RISK FREE: Since your satisfaction is our top priority, this wireless standing charger is backed by our 60-day money back guarantee policy! By using QC 2.0 adapter (NOT INCLUDED) or original adapters and cables, enables fast charging on the spot
For maximum flexibility, I'd opt for this charger (which will do USB-PD (Power Delivery) directly to your phone with one of Apple's USB-C-Lightning cables), which also does QC 3.0 (Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0) (required for nearly every 'fast' wireless charger):
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product...sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ

And you need a QC-compatible USB-A to Micro-USB cable:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B019Q3T7YG/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

If I'm reading right, you're suggesting I get two gadgets that will cost me $40 bucks total, and neither of them is actually a wireless charging pad or stand?

I'd be happy with a cheapo wireless charging stand for my first foray into this area, even if it's slow charging since it will mostly be used for overnight charging on my nightstand. Will the Pleson model I posted above do the job (charging with the case on) without messing up the phone somehow? Does it require any additional purchase, like a cable, or can I just use the plug and wire that came with my iphone 8?

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
If I'm reading right, you're suggesting I get two gadgets that will cost me $40 bucks total, and neither of them is actually a wireless charging pad or stand?

I'd be happy with a cheapo wireless charging stand for my first foray into this area, even if it's slow charging since it will mostly be used for overnight charging on my nightstand. Will the Pleson model I posted above do the job (charging with the case on) without messing up the phone somehow? Does it require any additional purchase, like a cable, or can I just use the plug and wire that came with my iphone 8?

I'm sorry, that's what I was attempting to explain. That stand does not include a cable or the actual charger itself. Most (I can't claim to have seen them all myself) wireless chargers are just the coil in a housing. You still need to power them, and for fast charging, most require a QC3.0 wall wart.)

While I can't speak to that Pleson model specifically, I can say that as long as a wireless charger adheres to Qi's specifications, your phone will charge fine.

When you add up all of the costs involved with getting into wireless charging from scratch, yeah it can be expensive. The cost savings comes into play if you have chargers and cables already (I happened to have a QC3.0 lying around which I use with my regular Anker Qi pad.)

You had mentioned $40. For $10 more, you could get the Anker Powerwave 7.5watt stand, which is actually a "box set" that includes one of their QC3.0 chargers and one of their Powerline micro USB cables:

https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-Powe...424&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+powerwave+7.5+stand

I have this as well as the pad version, though I did get them on sale when they were first introduced.

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013
Ah, I see what you're saying. This Pleson model I mentioned is not the only thing I'll need. I'll need some accessories as well, and once you add those in you're not saving much money, so might you might as well buy a kit that has everything you need in one purchase.

Now, is that just if you want 'fast' charging? It's my understanding -- okay, my understanding based on reading one article:) -- that fast wireless charging, at least for iphone 8's, isn't all that much faster than 'slow' wireless charging. And that for someone like me, whose primary use of my wireless charger will be on my nightstand while I sleep, 'fast' charging isn't all that important.

So given all that, if all that is correct, can one go cheap and just get the Pleson model or a similar low end model, skip the accesories, and just use the plug and cord my iphone came with? And if so, any downsides to that other than slower charging?

cydeweyz

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Oh ok... Can I ask why? Just that it will be slow or that it's dangerous for overheating or whatever please?

Thanks

You can try. 5v 1A won’t work. Check the bad reviews of many wireless chargers on Amazon that don’t come with power supplies. You’ll see that a few people mistakenly believe they can use the usb charger that came with their iPhone. I’ve been using an iPad charger, but I just ordered these this weekend to test to see if I can get fast charging working- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0728HB18G/

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013
I don't know about that specific charger, or the risks of over-heating or other damage from such use (a fear I also share), but I can tell you I bought the charger below two weeks ago for primarily overnight charging, plugged in the cable/charger that came with my iphone 8, and it's working well so far. (This one also included a USB cable, but I haven't tried it.) No additional purchase or device was required: this wireless charging stand and what came in the iphone box was all that was needed to be in business. No idea how fast it is since I'm asleep, nor do I care, since I'm asleep and not in a hurry. It's done when I wake up and that's good enough for me.
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Vap...77JYGFR9/ref=cm_cr_othr_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Sarah-PITAKA

Suspended
Feb 7, 2018
Hong Kong
Hi guys,
I successfully recruited many beta testers for MagCase Pro months ago. Hope this time I can find some guys who are interested in collaborating with PITAKA.:D

If you have 500+ friends/followers on Facebook or Instagram, please send me a direct message.
We'd like to work with you for a special collaboration and you will be rewarded with a big discount or a free product.
Can't miss this chance if you're about to get PITAKA gadgets. :D

karless

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2013
Athens,Greece
I have bought this Anker wireless charger and I have attached the iPhone’s wall adapter ,but it charges very slow (about 500-600ma) my iPhone X with iOS 11.3.1 ...can someone tell
Me why is it so slow?
3e507837708ad2c50fa9cdca4ba5f8fa.png

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
Reactions: BigMcGuire

tundra12

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2014
I have bought this Anker wireless charger and I have attached the iPhone’s wall adapter ,but it charges very slow (about 500-600ma) my iPhone X with iOS 11.3.1 ...can someone tell
Me why is it so slow?
3e507837708ad2c50fa9cdca4ba5f8fa.png

It is slow because most wireless chargers require a 5V 2A wall charger. You said you are using the stock iphone charger that is 5V 1A so it will be slow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.