Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Anyone tried pitaka wireless charging car mount?
I see the whole system is so cool!

Ok.

So for clarity from the outset, I'm using an Evutec AER Karbon case:
https://www.evutec.com/products/iph...-karbon-black-for-iphone-x-afix-included.html

I attempted to use the Pitaka MagMount Qi in my Jeep:
https://www.ipitaka.com/collections/magmount-qi

(with the Rugged Ridge Dash Multi-Mount phone kit, if anyone cares: http://www.ruggedridge.com/dash-multi-mount-phone-kit-13551-16.html)

Testing at home, the MagMount Qi seems to have magnets strong enough to hold the phone. I'd grasp the mount by the vent clip and shake it with the phone stuck to it. It seemed pretty good, however it would slide pretty easily. Tried it in the Jeep, and the first bump I hit immediately shook it off and sent my iPhone X hurdling to the floor. Not something you'd want while driving. I will say that the wireless charging worked flawlessly.

I feel that Pitaka's magnets are strong enough, but I don't know if Evutec's metal plates in the AER Karbon are spaced too far apart for it (their AFIX mount, which I have jerry rigged, is physically larger than the MagMount Qi).

My initial thought is to maybe coat the surface of the MagMount Qi with a thin layer of silicone, thus making it 'grippier' so that the phone won't slide around as much and break the magnetic bond.

So without actually taking the Evutec and the Pitaka apart, I have no way of confirming.

Or... Pitaka could make a full-coverage case like Evutec and all of my wishes would be fulfilled... hint hint @Sarah-PITAKA

Joan Lin

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2018
united states
Just ordered one today for my Jeep to use with my Evutec case. I'll report back once I know how it works.
Great! Just did not see much reviews for it I really want to know how it works
[doublepost=1519786275][/doublepost]
Ok.

https://www.evutec.com/products/iph...-karbon-black-for-iphone-x-afix-included.html

(with the Rugged Ridge Dash Multi-Mount phone kit, if anyone cares: http://www.ruggedridge.com/dash-multi-mount-phone-kit-13551-16.html)

Testing at home, the MagMount Qi seems to have magnets strong enough to hold the phone. I'd grasp the mount by the vent clip and shake it with the phone stuck to it. It seemed pretty good, however it would slide pretty easily. Tried it in the Jeep, and the first bump I hit immediately shook it off and sent my iPhone X hurdling to the floor. Not something you'd want while driving. I will say that the wireless charging worked flawlessly.

I feel that Pitaka's magnets are strong enough, but I don't know if Evutec's metal plates in the AER Karbon are spaced too far apart for it (their AFIX mount, which I have jerry rigged, is physically larger than the MagMount Qi).

My initial thought is to maybe coat the surface of the MagMount Qi with a thin layer of silicone, thus making it 'grippier' so that the phone won't slide around as much and break the magnetic bond.

So without actually taking the Evutec and the Pitaka apart, I have no way of confirming.

Or... Pitaka could make a full-coverage case like Evutec and all of my wishes would be fulfilled... hint hint @Sarah-PITAKA
Wow thank you for your post.
I see it says only compatible with pitaka case... Well I am using pitaka case maybe I should try it lol

Sarah-PITAKA

Suspended
Feb 7, 2018
Hong Kong
Ok.

I have checked Evutect's web trying to know the design their Magnetic Mount, but I couldn't find the information. Think the different positions of the magnets inserted caused your problem. Below is our design.
magmunt-vent-magnet_grande.jpg

We have to avoid the magnets facing the wireless charging part. This design works. And there is a plastic ring around the MagMount Qi board to increase the friction, as you can see in the picture. Since there aren't a design standard of the magnetic mounts out there, so far, our mount is the best supporter for our case.

BTW, we are working on a full-coverage MagCase.
Coming soon...

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040

I got their release email about the charging stand. Definitely a clean look, nice that it's covered in Horween leather, my favorite brand, as well as the fact that it's got a 7.5w charging coil. My only hesitation is that it only comes in black. I've already got a black combo iPad / iPhone stand on my desk and would prefer a tan/saddle color. I might try one out regardless and see how it looks/feels/performs.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Great! Just did not see much reviews for it I really want to know how it works
[doublepost=1519786275][/doublepost]
Wow thank you for your post.
I see it says only compatible with pitaka case... Well I am using pitaka case maybe I should try it lol

It does stick, but it doesn't stick enough to survive bumps on the road. I have a Mophie mount coming today. If that doesn't work, well, I guess I'm waiting on Sarah to come through:

I have checked Evutect's web trying to know the design their Magnetic Mount, but I couldn't find the information. Think the different positions of the magnets inserted caused your problem. Below is our design.
magmunt-vent-magnet_grande.jpg

We have to avoid the magnets facing the wireless charging part. This design works. And there is a plastic ring around the MagMount Qi board to increase the friction, as you can see in the picture. Since there aren't a design standard of the magnetic mounts out there, so far, our mount is the best supporter for our case.

BTW, we are working on a full-coverage MagCase.
Coming soon...

I'll be the first to pre-order. All I'm asking is for a slim case with some every day protection, like the Evutec. I do honestly like your mount. It works, just not with road bumps when paired with a third party case. :)

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I got the Mophie powerstation mini as a car mount for my car. When it has a microUSB connected (which I hardwired) it will charge on contact. It is also an effective magnetic mount when used with the iPitaka case. See this video.

I just got their "desktop" charger, designed for their battery cases. It absolutely doesn't work with the Evutec, lol.

So it's going back to Amazon.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Even integrated the Ikea Rallen within my desk... If it's possible to charge without any cables, I don't want to see any cables for the charger.

I love this idea... I think I might end up taking a holesaw to my Hemnes coffee table and night stands.

Does the Rallen do the full 7.5w?

With that being said, can you measure the depth of your charger, and maybe take a picture of how the wire stands out from the bottom? It won't be an issue for me for the coffee table, but the night stands that I have may have issues clearing the wire with the top drawer.

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
The placement of the magnets on the Evutec are indicated on the packaging itself. I don't have a photo handy, but was able to grab a screenshot from a review video. The Evutec mount is too bulky for me, so I use the Pitaka mount, and it works just fine.

Attachments

• 2018-03-01_8-34-32.jpg
    2018-03-01_8-34-32.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 236

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
The placement of the magnets on the Evutec are indicated on the packaging itself. I don't have a photo handy, but was able to grab a screenshot from a review video. The Evutec mount is too bulky for me, so I use the Pitaka mount, and it works just fine.

Correct, and the inside of the case itself shows where the metal pieces are.

I agree that the Evutec mount is a little on the large side, however it's behind your phone so what does that matter?

And since I have both it and the Pitaka Qi mount I can say that when running over bumps that I don't even feel, the Evutec case will fall off of the Pitaka Qi mount. I'm not talking Pittsburgh potholes here, I mean fine cracks in the asphalt if even that.

d4gli

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2016
Zurich, Switzerland
I love this idea... I think I might end up taking a holesaw to my Hemnes coffee table and night stands.

Does the Rallen do the full 7.5w?

With that being said, can you measure the depth of your charger, and maybe take a picture of how the wire stands out from the bottom? It won't be an issue for me for the coffee table, but the night stands that I have may have issues clearing the wire with the top drawer.

Hight is around 1cm (manual from ikea). Maybe this'll help you out? http://www.ikea.com/de/de/assembly_...ion-integriert-kabellos__AA-1973974-2_pub.pdf

If it'll charge with 7.5w - I'm sorry - I just put it in the evening on the charger and take it in the morning - for me it doesn't matter, mainly it's fully charged to workdays... ;) Some more pictures for you.

Attachments

• IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_0185.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 259

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Hight is around 1cm (manual from ikea). Maybe this'll help you out? http://www.ikea.com/de/de/assembly_...ion-integriert-kabellos__AA-1973974-2_pub.pdf

If it'll charge with 7.5w - I'm sorry - I just put it in the evening on the charger and take it in the morning - for me it doesn't matter, mainly it's fully charged to workdays... ;) Some more pictures for you.

Actually, that's pretty much exactly what I was looking for, image wise. Their installation manual is a little confusing though. I think they offer 3 different sized hole options? Am I understanding that correctly?

Personally, I'd love to counter sink it so that the pad sits flush with the table surface.

Now if only they were in stock at Ikea. Their site has them entirely unavailable (until August at my store).

d4gli

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2016
Zurich, Switzerland
Actually, that's pretty much exactly what I was looking for, image wise. Their installation manual is a little confusing though. I think they offer 3 different sized hole options? Am I understanding that correctly?
Yes, that's correct! My one is the smallest one without any adapters, the second one is the size that fits in usual cable trays of business desks.

Now if only they were in stock at Ikea. Their site has them entirely unavailable (until August at my store).
Here in Germany they were also out of stock for two of my local shops but was able to be notified when they were in stock again - maybe this is also possible in your country.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Yes, that's correct! My one is the smallest one without any adapters, the second one is the size that fits in usual cable trays of business desks.

Here in Germany they were also out of stock for two of my local shops but was able to be notified when they were in stock again - maybe this is also possible in your country.

I don't think the US site has that ability. I did add it to a list though.

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Correct, and the inside of the case itself shows where the metal pieces are.

I agree that the Evutec mount is a little on the large side, however it's behind your phone so what does that matter?

And since I have both it and the Pitaka Qi mount I can say that when running over bumps that I don't even feel, the Evutec case will fall off of the Pitaka Qi mount. I'm not talking Pittsburgh potholes here, I mean fine cracks in the asphalt if even that.
Ok size aside, the Pitaka mount can swivel and the Evutec cannot. So that's another reason why I prefer the Pitaka. I also have no issues with my phone falling off so not sure what's going on with yours.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Ok size aside, the Pitaka mount can swivel and the Evutec cannot. So that's another reason why I prefer the Pitaka. I also have no issues with my phone falling off so not sure what's going on with yours.

Maybe my Evutec is defective, who knows. But my iPhone X in my Evutec case will not stay on my Pitaka mount. Based on how the the magnetic field 'feels', you can tell that the space between the metal plates in the Evutec is larger than the size of the Pitaka mount itself.

As for swiveling, that was an easy fix even though I only mount my phone in portrait. Just take the removable vent clip off and attach a ball mount (I removed one from a Spigen Kuel).

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Just got a Pitaka case yesterday. While it's very, very well made... I just can't deal with the open top, bottom, and buttons.

...how's that full coverage case coming, Sarah? :D

smallwonder

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013
I'm interested in beta-testing :)
Assuming the full coverage case will still have the embedded metal plates?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.