Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
I decided to go for the integrated 5W charger from IKEA.

Looks perfect after installation in the nightstand. The slower charging does not bother me considering the phone has at least 7 hours to reach 100% while I sleep, and I like the lower temperatures of slower charging.

ea93f5d9517dd845340cd4ae434c147a.jpg

b7c0e2f3790efae40ddd39e0e0722dec.jpg

where did you find this one? I have been trying to find the black version at my two local Ikea stores and online since November and its been unavailable.

MjWoNeR

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Sweden
where did you find this one? I have been trying to find the black version at my two local Ikea stores and online since November and its been unavailable.

Actually it was the last one they had in store. The person that helped me, called storage to make sure it was available for collection. The white seems to be in stock but not the black one.
Now that you said that though I checked availability in the 21 stores in Sweden and there is only 1 unit left in one store. Maybe an updated version is on the way?

daynoock

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2016
I decided to go for the integrated 5W charger from IKEA.

Looks perfect after installation in the nightstand. The slower charging does not bother me considering the phone has at least 7 hours to reach 100% while I sleep, and I like the lower temperatures of slower charging.

ea93f5d9517dd845340cd4ae434c147a.jpg

b7c0e2f3790efae40ddd39e0e0722dec.jpg

I’m looking at getting one of these chargers from ikea but my bedside table is about 4in thick, how was it for you drilling it using that tool?

MjWoNeR

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Sweden
I’m looking at getting one of these chargers from ikea but my bedside table is about 4in thick, how was it for you drilling it using that tool?

I used IKEA’s tools, and they will not be enough to drill a hole through 4 inches. The good news is that you don’t need to drill one big hole.

Just drill as much as the hole saw goes, then remove the piece in the middle (this can be a bit tricky) and then just drill a smaller 0,5 inch hole under to pull the cable through.

daynoock

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2016
I used IKEA’s tools, and they will not be enough to drill a hole through 4 inches. The good news is that you don’t need to drill one big hole.

Just drill as much as the hole saw goes, then remove the piece in the middle (this can be a bit tricky) and then just drill a smaller 0,5 inch hole under to pull the cable through.

Ok, thanks. Did you have to buy an Ikea drill or can the circular piece attach to a normal drill?

I think I’m quite late in my quest for a decent wireless charger, I’m not bothered about how quick it charges etc,
I only need it for 1 device and it needs to fit in with our bedroom, so the Ikea ones are perfect but the standalone one isn’t available and they don’t know when they’ll be getting them back but the integrated one will be in over the next few days but not in the wood colour

Eduardboon

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Got the Xtorm freedom charger. However, my batterylife has dropped significantly after starting to use wireless charging. An hour of browsing used to bring my phone down to 96 percent from 100, but today I was at 84 :(. Only thing that changed was that I put it on the wireless charger instead of the wired one.

Jaggrey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2015
Pembroke Pines, FL
Got the Xtorm freedom charger. However, my batterylife has dropped significantly after starting to use wireless charging. An hour of browsing used to bring my phone down to 96 percent from 100, but today I was at 84 :(. Only thing that changed was that I put it on the wireless charger instead of the wired one.

That's an interesting observation. It would be interesting if you went back to wired and your battery life went back to normal.

Eduardboon

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
That's an interesting observation. It would be interesting if you went back to wired and your battery life went back to normal.

Yes it did.

However; I charged my phone on the pad again and it held the charge just fine. It seems like it'll lose a lot of power due to trickle charging overnight and I just picked it up at the worst possible time.

FRVES

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
I bought the Mophie. Interested to see what the Apple device looks like.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
I bought the Mophie. Interested to see what the Apple device looks like.

Any word on the release date for the apple one by the way? I feel like we haven't heard anything since they announced it almost 5 months ago.

purpleparrotuk

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
???

If you want 7.5w charging you need something that will support 7.5w charging. A cheap ass thing from Amazon without its own AC adaptor isn't going to get out anything.

That charger gets good reviews actually. I’ve just bought one but you need to buy the adapter too for faster charging. I have got the adapter but I wish the iPhone would tell you didn’t it’s fast charging like the Samsung’s do.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
That charger gets good reviews actually. I’ve just bought one but you need to buy the adapter too for faster charging. I have got the adapter but I wish the iPhone would tell you didn’t it’s fast charging like the Samsung’s do.
Yeah cause it's cheap for what it is.

cydeweyz

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Yeah cause it's cheap for what it is.

$25 is not cheap. I bought 2 wireless stands for $25 and used my existing iPad adapters. They’ve worked perfectly since day 1. None of these wireless chargers are fast chargers when it comes to iPhones. 7.5w is just slightly less slow. Either way, for bedside and office use, 5w witless has not been an issue.
If you really want fast charging, unplug the wireless charger from the iPad power supply and plug your iPhone in directly. That is fast charging.

Reactions: tgara

Jaggrey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2015
Pembroke Pines, FL
I just got the Samsung wireless charger stand that was on special at Amazon a couple days ago. It came with a 5V/2A charger. Would it be better to use that brick or a 12W iPad charger that I have here? Or will either make a difference?

GomerBoy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
I just got the Samsung wireless charger stand that was on special at Amazon a couple days ago. It came with a 5V/2A charger. Would it be better to use that brick or a 12W iPad charger that I have here? Or will either make a difference?
I have the same charger and use the 5V/2A charger it came with...works great! To me it doesn’t matter the charging speed as I only need to charge my 8 Plus overnight when I’m sleeping! Never have to charge during the day with my usage as the battery is that good.

Reactions: Jaggrey

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA

I got that Anker charging pad from Amazon when it was on sale last week for $18.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KJL4XNY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also got an Anker power strip with 6 regular outlets and 4 high output USB ports. The Anker charging pad is plugged into one of the high output USB ports on the strip. Not sure if it’s doing 7.5W/Fast Charging with my new iPhone 8+, but it does the wireless charge pretty quickly. Very happy with the purchase.

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
After using the Mophie since I got my iPhone, I picked up the Samsung stand on sale. I used to use the Mophie on my nightstand but found sometimes the phone was not placed right to charge in the morning, so I moved it into the kitchen and use the Samsung overnight.

GomerBoy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
After using the Mophie since I got my iPhone, I picked up the Samsung stand on sale. I used to use the Mophie on my nightstand but found sometimes the phone was not placed right to charge in the morning, so I moved it into the kitchen and use the Samsung overnight.
Yeah no problems with my Samsung stand up wireless charger...it doesn’t even make my 8 Plus warm while charging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.