Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DARKiLLUSiON

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Toronto, Canada
That gets released tomorrow! I just got an email! Retail price will be 99, but if you sign up for emails, you can get it for 50 when it launches! So worth it...I’m jumping! I can travel with no lightning cable? Yes please!

I saw it too!!!! Though we still have to bring a cable charge the actual power bank if we travel but no lightning cable is super convenient!

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Just in retrospective looking at this 35+ page forum, all the people that kept dismissing inductive charging for the past 10 years saying Apple would come up instead with magic and unicorns, it's ironic how everyone is embracing and enjoying it now ;)

GomerBoy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
I saw it too!!!! Though we still have to bring a cable charge the actual power bank if we travel but no lightning cable is super convenient!
Just the fact to have a wireless charger on the go like that is amazing! I wonder how many times the battery pack can full charge an iPhone 8 Plus until it needs charged itself?
[doublepost=1515632775][/doublepost]
Just in retrospective looking at this 35+ page forum, all the people that kept dismissing inductive charging for the 10 years saying Apple would come up instead with magic and unicorns, it's ironic how everyone is embracing and enjoying it now ;)
I was very weary of wireless charging at first and really didn’t see a point in it, but now it is such a convenient feature! No cords required to fumble with at my bedside in the dark!

Reactions: trifid

GomerBoy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
True but it’s so bulky to put it on a night stand lol
I have another wireless charger for my actual night stand! This would be strictly for on-the-go charging needs, trips, camping. My only concern is the phone slipping off the battery pack and no longer charging..

DARKiLLUSiON

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I have another wireless charger for my actual night stand! This would be strictly for on-the-go charging needs, trips, camping. My only concern is the phone slipping off the battery pack and no longer charging..

I’ve thought of that too maybe an elastic band and just put it in your backpack and forget about it.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
That gets released tomorrow! I just got an email! Retail price will be 99, but if you sign up for emails, you can get it for 50 when it launches! So worth it...I’m jumping! I can travel with no lightning cable? Yes please!

I don't know about that unless its a really short trip. How many times does this thing fully charge the phone?

GomerBoy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
I got a reply from them and they said it can charge 2.5 times for the iPhone X before it’s battery depleted.
That’s like nothing...my Anker battery pack can charge a good 7-8 times before needing a recharge. Maybe I’m changing my mind...
Did you preorder one?

GomerBoy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
Nah..2.5 is far too less although it is convenient without the cable but the charge times ..I’m not going for it after all.
...and I’m sure other companies will make better ones in the future! Best to be patient! I’ll use my Anker battery pack and the lightning cable still.

ac921ol

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
right now, I have returned to RavPower Charges and kept the choetech charger. I am waiting for Ravpower to exchange me for the stand charger instead of a pad charger and see how it goes there.

issue was that I had to keep picking up the phone and placing it down to find the correct spot wit the RavPower ones, the Choetech one, I just place it down and boom it charges no picking it up and moving it around to find the sweet spot.

f6is6l

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
I have begun using the RAVPower 7.5W wireless fast charger, and I am very impressed with it.

I have only used it a handful of times to top-up my phone. My phone went from 50% to full charge in about 1.5 hours. Therefore, the manufacturer claimed 3 hours for a full charge seems to be true.

I have not had any issues with alignment when placing the phone on the pad. No problems with heat or noise either.

Last edited:

GomerBoy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
Nah..2.5 is far too less although it is convenient without the cable but the charge times ..I’m not going for it after all.
What about the 18,000 mAh (Monster) version of the charger? How many more times will it charge the iPhone 8 Plus than the regular 8000 mAh version? Can you find out for me?

DARKiLLUSiON

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Toronto, Canada
What about the 18,000 mAh (Monster) version of the charger? How many more times will it charge the iPhone 8 Plus than the regular 8000 mAh version? Can you find out for me?

Sure! I found out more actually..
This is taken from the site or rather a reply to someone.
the Power Bank itself does not Fast Charge, however it's charging time (2.5 and 4 hours) are above the industry standard for such large mAh batteries!

DARKiLLUSiON

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Thanks, but that really doesn’t answer my question haha!

Lol yea alright here’s what I got from them.
The Idmix Monster is able to charge an iPhone X about 6.8 times before it's own battery is depleted and the iPhone 8's battery about 9 times!

Waiting for their reply again..ask for the iPhone 8 Plus battery charging time..they gave me the 8’s battery :/

GomerBoy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
Lol yea alright here’s what I got from them.

Waiting for their reply again..ask for the iPhone 8 Plus battery charging time..they gave me the 8’s battery :/
You’re amazing thank you! I’m assuming it won’t be too different from the X with 6.8 charge times. That’s pretty decent...I may be tempted to get a Monster...

UMRebel

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
North MS
I got the Anker PowerPort Wireless 5 Stand for my desk at work. I have had it about a week and have been very pleased. Initially there was some confusion from Anker staff when I asked if the LED was supposed to blink or remain solid when charging, but they were kind enough to offer me a discount on my purchase due to the confusion after they clarified how it was supposed to work. I have been very pleased with the stand and their customer service. It is actually faster than I thought it would be. I haven't scientifically tested the speed, but it seems to be about the same as charging with the OEM charging cable.

GomerBoy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
You’re amazing thank you! I’m assuming it won’t be too different from the X with 6.8 charge times. That’s pretty decent...I may be tempted to get a Monster...
I just looked at my Anker battery charger and it’s 20100 mAh...even this new Monster battery wireless charger is only 18000 mAh. Will still get more charges out of my Anker correct? The portable wireless charger looks cool, but there will be better ones in the future.

Reactions: DARKiLLUSiON

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
Just in retrospective looking at this 35+ page forum, all the people that kept dismissing inductive charging for the past 10 years saying Apple would come up instead with magic and unicorns, it's ironic how everyone is embracing and enjoying it now ;)

I was one of the people to say that wireless charging wasn't really wireless and I still stand by my issues with inductive charging (needing to carry what amounts to a bigger charging disk, cord and plug block, as well as not really being able to use your iPhone whiles inductive charging).

It's definitely nice from the standpoint of not having to plug in your phone, such as at work where you can just set it down on the charger and pick it up as needed, which is how I've been living with my X since early December.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
I was one of the people to say that wireless charging wasn't really wireless and I still stand by my issues with inductive charging (needing to carry what amounts to a bigger charging disk, cord and plug block, as well as not really being able to use your iPhone whiles inductive charging).

That was Phil Schiller’s excuse for Apple not doing inductive charging for almost a decade and it was obviously wrong. There is real value in it. And you don’t need to carry a larger charging disk around, you could just use the lightning cable when traveling and then an inductive base at home/work where they never move. A lot of people were making this false choice that induction meant that you would lose the wired alternative, and that’s clearly not the case. You choose and get the best of both worlds.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
That was Phil Schiller’s excuse for Apple not doing inductive charging for almost a decade and it was obviously wrong. There is real value in it. And you don’t need to carry a larger charging disk around, you could just use the lightning cable when traveling and then an inductive base at home/work where they never move. A lot of people were making this false choice that induction meant that you would lose the wired alternative, and that’s clearly not the case. You choose and get the best of both worlds.

No doubt there was a high level of Apple downplaying their choosing not to implement inductive charging sooner - but it was more complicated than their just not wanting to offer it. To do so would mean their needing to develop a different case construction, as they did with the 8 and X.

Once they shifted from the iPhone 4's glass and stainless steel design, they were effectively committed to aluminum for several iterations. And in this time, inductive charging has improved, so I think Apple was smart to wait until it was a bit more fully developed, as they do with so many different technologies. And their being involved now will significantly and positively change the wireless charging market, as volumes for manufacturers of these devices grow exponentially and better designed products hit the market.

ekinnyc

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
picked up a Seneo stand charger with a $10 coupon from amazon. using it with an old Blackberry micro-USB charger (5W 2A) makes for slow going (doesnt help that im almost constantly using the phone). will try it out with a 24W QC3.0 plug on monday

Edit: tried it with a QC3.0 charger

battery went from 63% to 91% in an hour.

works for me

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.