Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Brand of Camera

• Nikon

Votes: 64 35.4%
  • Canon

Votes: 82 45.3%
  • Konica Minolta

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Olympus

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • Fuji

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Sony

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • Other

Votes: 16 8.8%

• Total voters

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Are those global stats? Or US only?

They're global stats, US numbers are more difficult to get, and not representative of the total production of a company. The best stats you can get are Japan-only, you can get them weekly or monthly, but they're not representative of the global marketplace. Every July I see global stats (I think Nikon's fiscal year ends in June) for all the vendors - but the full reports are pretty costly you'll generally get good numbers for 3-4 manufacturers overall off the Internet. I plugged the 07 numbers into a spreadsheet and sliced and diced away.

It's interesting to extrapolate out too- the accepted margins for DSLRs is 20%- so you can take the line, fudge the average sale price for each manufacturer and see what sort of money they should be making, then go digging for annual reports to see if you can validate it. Canon and Nikon are obviously murdering everyone else in terms of ASP with the prosumer and pro lines- and with their volumes it's going to take a very disruptive company to change the landscape by any amount. Sony's wish of 25% market share seems, on the face of it to be pretty impossible. It's going to be interesting to see if Red's entry is disruptive enough to take any real share, and who it comes from in the long run.

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
Digital:
Nikon D300
Sony A700 (selling)
Sony A100 (selling)
Canon & Oly P&S

Film:
Nikon EM
Nikon F55

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
I have a Canon DRebel XSi, Canon S5 IS, and Canon S400.

I feel comfortable buying Canon products, although I'm sure Nikon and others are just as good. I do the same with TVs too, I always buy Samsung for some reason.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Does the Quaker Oatmeal camera fall in a category? Well, even if it did I don't have one of those.

Canon for me.

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
I've gotten into a habit of buying Canon products. Can't call it rut, really, because it's mostly turned out well. But I'm about due for an upgrade and there are of course other options.

jpfisher

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2006
New Jersey
Count me in as "other" on all fronts. Pentax for SLR (K10D digital & an ME body for film), a Leica M8 rangefinder, and a Hasselblad 500C for medium format.

Haven''t yet shot LF, but I'd like to give it a go and see how I do....

Jim

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
2377466892_549e8be965_m.jpg
2807106056_0e8fc2d9cd_m.jpg
2658891777_386c26cd0b_m.jpg

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Cross Platform Here

Nikon D70 for DSLR. Canon Powershot A650 for something quick and easy. My wife started with Nikon 35mm back in the day and still swears by Ilford paper. She loves Nikon and almost always leans in that direction, but when looking for a good P&S for family use she chose the Canon. Go figure. She's the real photographer, I just dabble. Anyhow, we are happy with both choices.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
You dissagregated Minolta and Sony and didn't even put Kodak by itself?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I use what the paper gives me. I was a Canon shooter at one paper, now I am a Nikon shooter.

If I had to pick a brand with current standings and technology (glass, lighting, etc.) I'd be a Nikon shooter. Their FX bodies are a little more versatile for photojournalism.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Another Pentax shooter here. I won't vote till Pentax is an option on it's own. You've got a lot of professed Pentaxians responding so far, it's time to add them to the list.

I shoot with a pair of K10D's

SLC

Arjuna93

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Pentax K10D. Wouldn't trade it for any other brand of camera (under A$2000).

P.s hurry up and add Pentax to the poll. :)

Agree. It's quite strange that the only brand out of "big 5" which makes mid format cameras and one of the best from the point of optics isn't included :mad:

Having Pentax Limited FA lenses, I never go for any of Nikons or Canons. The only other option I can see is Leica, which is much much costlier though.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Fuji S5. I don't need more speed, like the colour, love the DR, HATE that I use JPG because those freakin' RAWs are so big!

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Since when did this thread become a, "I use X model camera and won't ever go with Canon or Nikon bodies," bash fest?

Use what you have and keep it at that.

Let's keep it even tempered before we have the Nikon and Canon users clamoring on about why Sony and Pentax can't do this or that.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I am a Nikon fan at the moment (as I love the way they handle).

I still follow the belief that no manufacturer is better than the other - only the personal choice matters.

Col127

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2003
canon all the way!

powershot pro1
canon 40d
canon sd400

It looks like most of you use Nikon. Based on looking here everyday for a year.
So what do you use? BTW I use Canon.

If other, what is it?
Any large format fans out there?

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Canon DSLR
Canon HD Video Camera
Canon point and shoot
Aiptek cheap " throw in the bag" HD Video camera and still camera

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Agree. It's quite strange that the only brand out of "big 5" which makes mid format cameras and one of the best from the point of optics isn't included :mad:

Pentax has scrapped its announced plans- put on hold a year or so ago- to release a digital 645 body and new lenses. They stopped production on the 645N and 645NII quite some time ago. What medium format camera are they supposedly "making?" Not that the 645's got much traction, the 6x7 was really the only unmatched MF camera they produced- and I've have gotten a Mamiya rangefinder instead if I'd really been thinking clearly when I got mine (you want mirror slap- the P67 was the king of mirror slap!)

So no, Pentax isn't "the only brand which makes mid format cameras"- they're the "brand which used to make medium format cameras prior to their takeover back before the management team got thrown out on its ear" for trying to resist the takeover at the last minute. Hoya seems to have replaced the "we can compete at the high end" team with a "we can compete in the middle" team. If, as it seems the numbers say, they lost share in a growing market last year, then next year will be particularly difficult, because this year isn't looking all rosy.

The new Hoya-owned Pentax is a shadow of what it was, and their announced plan to be third in the DSLR market is frankly looking simply unachievable unless they try to count Samsung's production- and let's face it, Samsung has over 6.3x the market capitalization of Hoya, so Pentax isn't the dominant player in that relationship by any stretch of the imagination (~$103B vs ~$16.3B.) Pentax itself had a market cap of just $695M at last year's takeover. Hoya aren't looking particularly healthy market-wise at the moment either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.