Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
All of my kitchen appliances have stainless steel finishes. Never had any problems even as the decade mark approaches.
Agree. The best thing to use to clean them is two microfiber cloths, one damp one to clean and a dry one to immediately dry. Many of the stainless steel cleaners leave residue, some can be greasy and eventually the stainless looks streaky and uneven and dirty. It can be hard to make them look good again.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Breville Smart Oven with super convection # BOV9000BSS

You might be interested in the chefsteps.com website. The founders are alumni from Nathan Myhrvold's mammoth 5 volume Modernist Cuisine project. It was a James Beard award winner for cookbook of the year and it has been called one of the best cookbooks of the century. Here's an image of what happens inside a Weber Grill:

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 11.30.16 PM.png

There is also a smaller more affordable home edition:

Chefsteps also created the Joule, which has been been cited as the best Sous Vide stick.

Breville recently acquired the site which has its positives and negatives. They now have sufficient funding, but there is a strong Breville influence. I have their juicer, grill and juicer and they are amazing products. Chefsteps just released a counter top oven class:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
We purchased our appliances in 2012: LG Refrigerator, GE Range (worst purchase, but still going strong). Our dishwasher was a Whirlpool which just complete crapped its pants. Replaced it with a Bosch due to the amazing reviews

We have a Joule and love it

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
For ourselves Kenmore has been a solid brand for 4 decades, but now I am questioning their products due to the challenges the brand is facing, ie possibly going out of business, even if their products have been made by other companies all along. Now I’m wondering about Kenmore. @Breezygirl‘s comment about Samsung gave me pause, because in the TV department, we view that as a solid brand.
[automerge]1583672723[/automerge]

I would not pay extra money specifically for a quick cool feature. That sounds like a gimmick to me, no offense. An ice dispenser is a must, and I assume chilled water comes with that, but we rarely use it, because I don’t like replacing expensive water filters on our current fridge.

I recently got a new Kenmore bottom freezer refrigerator and it's made by LG. Even if Sears went under the product is a re-badged LG so you could still get parts and service. My guess if Sears really does go out of business someone would buy the Kenmore brand (maybe Amazon because they sell them now) and it would continue on. All Kenmore products are made by another company it just depends on what model. My washer and dryer are Kenmore, but made by Whirlpool. All major parts could be sourced through Whirlpool if you really need them.

Basically I wouldn't be too worried about buying Kenmore products right now if they are priced better or you have a local Sears you enjoy dealing with. We have a small locally owned Sears Hometown here and I enjoy shopping with them.

Reactions: Huntn and LizKat

Sword86

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
I recall reading something recently somewhere saying Kenmore is no more.
FWIW, a had a rental townhouse for 13 years, all Kenmore but the microwave. (I went Panasonic because I had one still going strong at 30 years....Panasonic isn’t what they once were, trust me)
The fridge was still going fine when I sold it last summer. The stove was also fine, but the dishwasher had died after about 8 years and was replaced with an LG. (It had needed repair once in the 8 years prior to it’s demise)
Recently we bought a new place and bought all new appliances. We went with the newer LG Matt Black SS they offer. The whole kitchen including the over range microwave oven. So far....no issues as you’d expect. The dw is just about silent and cleans unreal. (With the top drawer, great idea) The fridge has the ice maker and water dispenser and the whole rig resides inside the door so no inner space is taken up. The no smudge SS is for real. Never a mark on anything that’s SS. We figured we were going to pay $7k or so for everything so what’s a little more? (CDN$) We’ve gone back a couple of times to call them on price matching as the price of these moved down and got some savings there. As far as washer and dryer we went Samsung Black SS, top load washer. HUGE drum capacity. After the Whirlpool set in the T/H I’ll never do front load again. (BTW, after about 12 years the washer died and was replaced with a top load LG, and the dryer had one repair call out but was still going fine when I sold)
Both my brothers have Samsung washers and dryers. One has had his for close to 13 years with not one problem. That’s why we went Samsung for those instead of LG.
You can take my experience with Kenmore with a grain of salt however. We’re talking a rental unit and my last tenants had been there 7 1/2 years and were no clean freaks, that’s for sure. I’d feel safe with Whirlpool again and perhaps skip Kenmore because of the Sear’s thing.
The main reason to go all LG in the kitchen was simply because we liked the Matt Black SS and they were the only one that offers it, period. The pieces all match.
In my mind the appliance industry is kinda like the car industry. Some of these foreign manufacturers have forced the domestics to completely reinvent themselves and think outside the box. They sat on their butts for ages until they were forced to get back in the game. There’s some neat things being done to appliances over the past few years. S

Edit.....Oh. we got such a smoking deal buying everything on sale at the same place so we opted for the extended warranty on everything.

Last edited:

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
NO Samsung fridges for me. I love their TVs, but everyone I know who has had one of their fridges has had chronic 'effing issues.

I want to know who makes the fridge, not whose label/brand is on it.

My 25 year old Jennair plain-jane fridge just keeps on ticking... Manufactured, at that time, by one of the big fridge companies and labeled as a Jennair. I think it was really a Maytag or Whirlpool but I can't recall at the moment.

Last edited:

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
seems like all the appliances come through the Suez Canal of late.

less selection and more expensive

Reactions: millerj123

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
The lesson I learnt with kitchen appliances, don't go for the expensive models on the hope they'll last longer/be more repairable.

We bought a fairly expensive oven, which broke 3 years down the line. We couldn't get a replacement part for it, so had to effectively scrap an £800 oven after 3 years. The manufacturer offered us a half-price replacement, which lasted 2 before it gave up the ghost - we didn't even bother repairing it and sold it for spares.

These days, I buy cheap. I swapped my £800 oven for a £200 one. It does exactly the same job. Yes, the door isn't as smooth, and the shelves are a bit flimsy, but I'm not going to care when it breaks in a couple of years. The best part - when cleaning it, I noticed a tiny label which had a well known brand on it. Barring a slightly different front panel, we found out it's actually a "rebranded" oven from a big manufacturer, just without the profit margin I guess.

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
It's really frustrating from a US consumer's point of view, and I suspect from most Europeans; as we've gotten used to what we considered relatively expensive, almost "investments", appliances lasting a long time.

Now I am in Brian Y's mode of thought: They are getting to be disposable, these appliances. Why spend more than you have to. All the extra bells and whistles don't satisfy if the basic functions don't work.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The spread on refrigerator pricing is a bit ridiculous from $1k-$3k even $6k and my impression it’s mostly style and appearance versus features although they will claim great features. What is important to me is the door layout, we currently have a half and half, left freezer, right refrigerator, but out next one will probably be freezer on the bottom, and 2 doors for the refrigerator with an ice and cold water dispenser. I don’t care about a little fancy door for quick access of canned or bottled drinks.

On our trips to the U.K. staying at B&Bs no one had full size fridges. I wonder if that has changed?

Last edited:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
The spread on refrigerator pricing is a bit ridiculous from $1k-$3k even $4k and my impression it’s mostly style and appearance versus features although they will claim great features. What is important to me is the door layout, we currently have a half and half, left freezer, right refrigerator, but out next one will probably be freezer on the bottom, and 2 doors for the refrigerator with an ice and cold water dispenser. I don’t care about a little fancy door for quick access of canned or bottled drinks.

On our trips to the U.K. staying at B&Bs no one had full size fridges. I wonder if that has changed?

"American Style" (that's what we call them!) fridge freezers are still pretty rare on this side of the pond. They're generally considered a luxury option. Most people just don't have the space for them.

The vast majority of people have what we'd consider to be a standard fridge-freezer (usually 55-60cm wide) split vertically in either 50:50/60:40/70:30 in favour of the fridge. You used to see lots of under-counter fridges, but these aren't really popular any more. We also rarely have ice dispensors, and even water dispensors are quite rare - and almost never plumbed in - it's usually just a container in the door.

Also, in the UK, spending $4k on a fridge freezer would be considered insane. Our fridge-freezer was around £200.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
The spread on refrigerator pricing is a bit ridiculous from $1k-$3k even $6k and my impression it’s mostly style and appearance versus features although they will claim great features. What is important to me is the door layout, we currently have a half and half, left freezer, right refrigerator, but out next one will probably be freezer on the bottom, and 2 doors for the refrigerator with an ice and cold water dispenser. I don’t care about a little fancy door for quick access of canned or bottled drinks.

If you want a fridge that lasts. Spend $1K or less. Expensive fridges does not mean better made. Usually it just means more poorly made bells and whistles that'll break. Increasing your odds of failure.

Unless you actually buy something well made like a sub-zero or a commercial fridge. In which case you aren't getting a bunch of features fobbed off on you. You're getting what matters. Better made parts.

I prefer the side by side not for looks. But the ice maker is in the freezer section. On the french door kind it's up top in the fridge section. That alone makes for a much more complex and failure prone cooling system.

NO Samsung fridges for me. I love their TVs, but everyone I know who has had one of their fridges has had chronic 'effing issues.

I want to know who makes the fridge, not whose label/brand is on it.

My 25 year old Jennair plain-jane fridge just keeps on ticking... Manufactured, at that time, by one of the big fridge companies and labeled as a Jennair. I think it was really a Maytag or Whirlpool but I can't recall at the moment.

All the general consumer fridges are garbage now. They aren't built to last like your Jennair was. When it finally kicks the bucket. You'll have to decide whether to replace with something modern that might last 10 years or pay for a complete rebuild of yours. Hopefully getting another 25+ years.

Reactions: Boyyai

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
All the general consumer fridges are garbage now. They aren't built to last like your Jennair was. When it finally kicks the bucket. You'll have to decide whether to replace with something modern that might last 10 years or pay for a complete rebuild of yours. Hopefully getting another 25+ years.
I've never had to completely rebuild any failed refridgerators. Unless the compressor has gone kaput or there's a major leak in the coolant lines, repairing a fridge is fairly inexpensive. I've been using the same LG fridge for the past 20 years. I have spent probably $300 in various parts and many hours swearing and bandaging scrapped knuckles.?

The problem with really old fridge is if the freon runs low, you'll need to hire someone to refill the freon. Modern fridges uses cheaply available refrigerant that doesn't require license to buy and adding a refill tap is easy and cheap.

Edit: The other bad thing about really old appliances is they're energy hogs. Newer stuff is more energy efficient, especially if you look for the Energy Star tag.

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017
I was on shortwave radio (date was 2016) and listening at the time to South Korea broadcasting news and it was discussing a prototype product from LG electronics which was a new washing machine which used no water or detergent but instead a lazer to clean cloths, with this there would be no need for a dryer so the cost for electricity and water plus detergent would be less or not at all...however this approach could also be used for a shower but as long as water could still be used for private parts.

There is also the factor instead of lowering water or electric bills the utility companies would still find a way to keep prices the same or increase them.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
i grew up in the US suburbs and we had 2 free standing, a refridgerator and freezer. both were full. Food items on sale or in season we would buy vast quantities.

for me it is a tradition:

recently we down sized and moved into an urban area. I still cling to two medium sized refridgeratotr and freezer.

most parts of the UK (its an island) has a high population density and more urban areas. I just dont see a flat having enough space to accimidate my faimily traiditon. My living environment has recently changed. I notice we (pre pandamic) eat out more. Post pandemic; have it delivered.

i am very grateful to be able to buy a crate of peaches when they are in season and put them up for the year. I bought 60lbs of easter baking hams on sale and baked tihs during a spring snow storm. than make several gallons of ham bone soup.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I was on shortwave radio (date was 2016) and listening at the time to South Korea broadcasting news and it was discussing a prototype product from LG electronics which was a new washing machine which used no water or detergent but instead a lazer to clean cloths, with this there would be no need for a dryer so the cost for electricity and water plus detergent would be less or not at all...however this approach could also be used for a shower but as long as water could still be used for private parts.

There is also the factor instead of lowering water or electric bills the utility companies would still find a way to keep prices the same or increase them.
Interesting!

CNYinLA

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2017
For small kitchen appliances: Anything by Kitchenaid or Cuisinart is seen as top of the line compared to most of brands you will find in the U.S. I only buy something cheaper like Hamilton Beach when I don't expect it to last for more than a year.

For washing machines (in the U.S.) the only brand worth getting is Speed Queen! They are the same company that makes the commercial models you find in most laundromats and as far as I know they are the only machine that is still made right in Wisconsin here is U.S.A. I've had a previous Speed Queen for 10 years until we moved and had to leave it. When we bought our new house I made sure we spent the extra to get another Speed Queen and after 5 years its still working with no problems! Cleans wonderfully and dead simple. Also one of few machines that don't lock the lid down assuming most people are too stupid to hurt themselves.

For any other major appliance I wouldn't spend more than $1000 and feel lucky if you get something that lasts more than 5 years. Like others have said, the less electronic 'features' the better your chances. Its all Chinese made crap nowadays.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
For small kitchen appliances: Anything by Kitchenaid or Cuisinart is seen as top of the line compared to most of brands you will find in the U.S. I only buy something cheaper like Hamilton Beach when I don't expect it to last for more than a year.

For washing machines (in the U.S.) the only brand worth getting is Speed Queen! They are the same company that makes the commercial models you find in most laundromats and as far as I know they are the only machine that is still made right in Wisconsin here is U.S.A. I've had a previous Speed Queen for 10 years until we moved and had to leave it. When we bought our new house I made sure we spent the extra to get another Speed Queen and after 5 years its still working with no problems! Cleans wonderfully and dead simple. Also one of few machines that don't lock the lid down assuming most people are too stupid to hurt themselves.

For any other major appliance I wouldn't spend more than $1000 and feel lucky if you get something that lasts more than 5 years. Like others have said, the less electronic 'features' the better your chances. Its all Chinese made crap nowadays.

You never know with the cheap stuff. Bought a Mr Coffee Espresso machine with frother. It only cost me $30 about 20 years ago. Still going strong.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
None, we actually have devolved in appliances not advanced. Stuff from decades ago were much reliable.

All the stuff now is probably built the same chinese factory with a guy slapping the brand name of the company that made the order at the end of the production line. If any one know of reliable brand tell me.

On the up side, appliances prices are so low it's a joke. You can literally but a huge fridge for less than the price of an iphone. think how much it costs in shipping and moving

CNYinLA

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2017
Like Apple products then? ? ?
True, the Chinese factories pump out most of Apple's products these days. But there is a world of difference between the level of quality that Apple demands from their vendors compared to most of the namebrands being discussed in this thread.

There is no reason why the companies selling products under the Whirlpool/Maytag/Kenmore/GE/Electrolux/etc. brands couldn't demand a similar level of quality and accept less faulty products to roll out of their factories but their American ownership sold out long ago and whoever bought them decided to milk whatever prestige they had out of their brand names and sacrifice quality control so they could maximize profit. It's only fitting that they get trashed in threads like these since its we the consumers who get screwed.

If Apple's products lasted as long as some of these major appliances their share price wouldn't be where it is today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.