Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RadioHedgeFund

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2018
1. Bring out a cheaper model. I know this is obvious but a £199 iPad Mini would sell like hotcakes as it the perfect size and price for kids and people who just want a decent eReader that isn't Amazon. Keep Pencil support and all that jazz out of it.

2. Get more developers on board for Pro apps. I personally don't think there is much wrong with iPad OS at the minute and I use mine for CAD, LiDAR Scanning, Photography and a whole lot of other high-end stuff. Whatn we need is software that takes advantage of the power: Autodesk Fusion 360, AutoCAD, Solidworks, Blender etc. Apple need to lead the charge and bring Final Cut to the iPad as well as a new version of Aperture (because Lightroom is rubbish)

Reactions: turbineseaplane

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
If they added support for multiple accounts, I'd buy one in a second. I have a need for one, occasionally, more for the novelty than anything else, and my daughter is about at that age where she would like it for games. Between the two of us, it's a compelling buy. But to drop $1000 on two iPads, or even half that for one for me or her, isn't compelling at all.

I'd also like an iPad with magsafe, since I find it much more convenient than using a charging cable when I'm at my desk.

Reactions: pdoherty

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
If you call the hardware “Pro”, make it run Pro software.
The fck are you asking us what the folks in Cupertino should do, they have years of comments and ideas to sort through and integrate, thousands of feature requests from normal people that see that the iPad is limited only by their stubborn developers to actual professionals noticing the same thing but with more pain in their demands. This thread ain’t gonna change anything, especially if it’s titled that way.
The ideas are out there and have been since Steve walked on the stage, Apple just chooses to ignore them.
I'm not from Apple. The question is for my interest. This is an iPad forum and I'm asking MacRumors members how they think Apple might actually evolve the iPad product line(s). I don't see the point of turning it into a keyboard-less MacBook Pro (running macOS) and I don't think Apple will do that so I put the question in this way. I figure the answer might give a clearer picture of what they might actually do. It's a brainstorm on the internet.

I would suggest that the next time you come across a post you don't think is worth your time that you move to the next one.

Reactions: MajorFubar

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
I know of people who are keeping away because there are no real pro-grade AV productivity apps to rival the MacOS versions of Photoshop*, Logic Pro, ProTools, Ableton Live, Final Cut, Premiere, After Effects, and so on.

But whether the ROI is enough to justify the cost of developing those apps on iPadOS is doubtful.

In any of those apps in MacOS, I can do more on a 2015 MacBook Pro (heck even on my 11 year old iMac) than I can on a new iPad Pro, even though the iPad Pro's technical spec's smokes it.

*Yes I know there is an iPad Photoshop app. It's cr-p.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmy_uk

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
First of all I don't think we can ask how to increase iPad revenues without taking into account the rest of Apple products.... Apple would gladly increase their iPad revenues, but they don't want this to be just moving revenues from Mac to iPads...
I think there are 2 ways to boost iPad revenues: software (this is the one where Apple needs to find a fine balance where people are pushed to buy more iPads and more expensive iPads without this impacting on Mac sales) and hardware.

Software
- Porting Mac apps to iPad could be an option (but it's unlikely, since many people would simply move their workflow from Mac to iPad)
- Improving the productivity of the iPad by giving it a desktop mode when connected to an external display (extended mode). This is IMO more likely (than Mac apps) as it would have less of an impact on Mac sales but could push upgrading especially if made exclusive to devices with more RAM (6-8 minimum?) because of the added multitasking that an external monitor would open.
- Improving the interaction between Mac and iPad (improving both Sidecar and Universal Control by allowing users to fully use the Magic Keyboard trackpad from the iPad, currently impossible). This could push iPads which support the Magic Keyboard, especially the larger ones (and of course sales of the Magic Keyboard)

Hardware
Make a larger iPad pro with correspondingly larger Magic Keyboard. This would be the equivalent of the 16in Macbook, where the 12.9 is the equivalent of the 14in.
There is clearly a group of people who are waiting for such a device and this would definitely push revenues given the correspondingly higher price. I think the size of this group of people should not be underestimated.

Redesigning the base iPad (which accounts for over half of total iPad sales) with USB C, pencil 2 and magic keyboard support? I think everyone considers this a given at some point... but I wouldn't be so sure...
First of all, same price? Moving the entry price higher may not help Apple sell as many iPads, especially in education.
Second, how to make the much more expensive air not redundant? (I don't think giving oled to the air would be enough)
Third, a $300 keyboard for a $330 ipad (or even a $400 one?). Unlikely....
Then what, lightning forever? Not necessarily... Maybe Magsafe only iPad (to push magsafe accessories) with the old form factor... (Magsafe on the Apple logo).
My guess is that this is something Apple is still evaluating... but I believe that the old form factor at the same entry price is here to stay for quite a few years...

Reactions: Isengardtom

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I think satisfying (relatively) niche groups that want external monitor support or what they define as "pro" OS/software improvements (the eternal debate over what "pro" means) would barely move the needle.

iPad is intended to be a mobile device. Personally, I think it's silly to use a laptop as a desktop replacement - if it's going to sit on the same desk in the same office for 99% of use, why compromise on ergonomics? Similarly, to use an iPad in desktop usage scenarios (multi-display, etc.) is a dramatic case of using the wrong tool for the job.

Apple already does what I think they ought to be doing - find ways to put a portable, midsize display, touchscreen device into the hands of more workers, students, etc.. Not software/media production pros (who think they're the only professional users in the world), but healthcare workers, restaurant servers, sales clerks, teachers, students, field service reps (plumbers, electricians, appliance repair, etc.), factory and warehouse floor, etc. Anywhere they still use paper and a clipboard or carry a larger, heavier, more cumbersome laptop around a workplace, or return to a desk/work station to access/input data. Anyplace where checklist/handwriting/touch input is as effective (or more effective) than keyboard/trackpad/mouse.

Replacing Windows PCs and Chromebooks with iPads is fine, but replacing MacBooks with iPads is cannibalizing Apple's own business. If the workforce is already using iPhones, then iPad is a natural extension. They already know the OS and under some usage cases increasing the display/device size improves productivity over doing it on a smartphone. Converting Windows/Chromebooks to iPads (or Macs) eliminates the problems of cross-platform compatibility for corporate/in-house apps - reducing IT costs.

So overall, I see it as a strategic/marketing challenge rather than a hardware/OS/software development challenge.

Last edited:
Reactions: rui no onna

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I think satisfying (relatively) niche groups that want external monitor support or what they define as "pro" OS/software improvements (the eternal debate over what "pro" means) would barely move the needle.

iPad is intended to be a mobile device. Personally, I think it's silly to use a laptop as a desktop replacement - if it's going to sit on the same desk in the same office for 99% of use, why compromise on ergonomics? Similarly, to use an iPad in desktop usage scenarios (multi-display, etc.) is a dramatic case of using the wrong tool for the job.

Apple already does what I think they ought to be doing - find ways to put a portable, midsize display, touchscreen device into the hands of more workers, students, etc.. Not software/media production pros (who think they're the only professional users in the world), but healthcare workers, restaurant servers, sales clerks, teachers, students, field service reps (plumbers, electricians, appliance repair, etc.), factory and warehouse floor, etc. Anywhere they still use paper and a clipboard or carry a larger, heavier, more cumbersome laptop around a workplace. Anyplace where checklist/handwriting/touch input is as effective (or more effective) than keyboard/trackpad/mouse.

Replacing Windows PCs and Chromebooks with iPads is fine, but replacing MacBooks with iPads is cannibalizing Apple's own business. If the workforce is already using iPhones, then iPad is a natural extension. They already know the OS and under some usage cases increasing the display/device size improves productivity over doing it on a smartphone. Converting Windows/Chromebooks to iPads (or Macs) eliminates the problems of cross-platform compatibility for corporate/in-house apps - reducing IT costs.

So overall, I see it as a strategic/marketing challenge rather than a hardware/OS/software development challenge.

My laptop is also my desktop when docked with my BT keyboard, mouse, 4K monitor, and USB hub with drives. I just unplug it and go. No ergonomic issues.

Reactions: wnorris

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
My laptop is also my desktop when docked with my BT keyboard, mouse, 4K monitor, and USB hub with drives. I just unplug it and go. No ergonomic issues.
Yeah, look what it takes to overcome the ergonomic shortcomings of using a laptop in a desktop environment. However, I wasn't describing people with your configuration. Whether you use a docking station and have a single CPU or whether you cloud sync data between laptop/mobile and desktop CPUs, either approach addresses the optimization/ergonomic issues. I was addressing the large numbers of users who simply use a laptop on the desktop.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Yeah, look what it takes to overcome the ergonomic shortcomings of using a laptop in a desktop environment. However, I wasn't describing people with your configuration. Whether you use a docking station and have a single CPU or whether you cloud sync data between laptop/mobile and desktop CPUs, either approach addresses the optimization/ergonomic issues. I was addressing the large numbers of users who simply use a laptop on the desktop.

I guess I still don't see the ergonomics issues with using a laptop in a desktop environment having done that since their commercial inception.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I guess I still don't see the ergonomics issues with using a laptop in a desktop environment having done that since their commercial inception.
If someone is solely using a laptop (no larger, external display) then the first issue is display size itself. 13-inch/15-inch display vs. the 27-inch I have? No contest for legibility/eye strain. Further, if you're my height (6-foot) or even less, that small display is in a low position - neck strain from constantly looking down.

I go way back with laptops. Those old-time, thick, bottom case/keyboard units were elevated an inch or more above the surrounding desktop, which meant a sub-optimal touch-typing posture. If the actual desktop isn't relatively low (26- or 27-inches), that exacerbates the issue even more. (You might elevate your seat height to compensate, but perhaps you then need a footrest to have optimal positioning for your lower body.)

So for me, a laptop on a desktop is literally a pain in the neck. If I was truly mobile, such as a journalist working in the field (as I once was) or a student moving from one classroom/lecture hall to the next, I'd put up with it (and did). I would not put up with it if the thing remained on the same desk 99% of the time.

Back when I was a field journalist I was using a PowerBook G4. It was heavy and thick, and battery life was hardly stellar. It didn't fit well on airline tray tables (especially if the person in front of me reclined their seatback). Overall, although I got the original iPad as an experiment, within a few months I had abandoned that PowerBook altogether for field use. iPad plus Bluetooth keyboard was lighter, more compact, and did everything I needed in the field. Today I'm desktop-bound. I use the iPad for easy portability around the house, but for sustained work I'm at a nice, 27-inch iMac.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
If someone is solely using a laptop (no larger, external display) then the first issue is display size itself. 13-inch/15-inch display vs. the 27-inch I have? No contest for legibility/eye strain. Further, if you're my height (6-foot) or even less, that small display is in a low position - neck strain from constantly looking down.

I go way back with laptops. Those old-time, thick, bottom case/keyboard units were elevated an inch or more above the surrounding desktop, which meant a sub-optimal touch-typing posture. If the actual desktop isn't relatively low (26- or 27-inches), that exacerbates the issue even more. (You might elevate your seat height to compensate, but perhaps you then need a footrest to have optimal positioning for your lower body.)

So for me, a laptop on a desktop is literally a pain in the neck. If I was truly mobile, such as a journalist working in the field (as I once was) or a student moving from one classroom/lecture hall to the next, I'd put up with it (and did). I would not put up with it if the thing remained on the same desk 99% of the time.

Back when I was a field journalist I was using a PowerBook G4. It was heavy and thick, and battery life was hardly stellar. It didn't fit well on airline tray tables (especially if the person in front of me reclined their seatback). Overall, although I got the original iPad as an experiment, within a few months I had abandoned that PowerBook altogether for field use. iPad plus Bluetooth keyboard was lighter, more compact, and did everything I needed in the field. Today I'm desktop-bound. I use the iPad for easy portability around the house, but for sustained work I'm at a nice, 27-inch iMac.

It's really a matter of personal preference in the end. I don't have a problem using a laptop (in a non-docked configuration) either as a work tool or at home. (Work tool doesn't really apply any longer - I'm a retired h/w & s/w engineer).

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I think people are using their stuff wrong when I hear this.

No - many folks just have different usage needs and requirements.

With respect, it's shortsighted to make claims along the lines of "it's works great for me! - no issues!"... and conclude that "people must be using their stuff wrong"

People need to do very differing tasks with "computing devices"

Reactions: Digitalguy

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Apple would gladly increase their iPad revenues, but they don't want this to be just moving revenues from Mac to iPads...

That's a mistake on their part

The Apple we all fondly recall wouldn't have hesitated to kill even very successful products to make a better landscape of choice for their customers.

(iPod Mini comes to mind)

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I think Apple hears us loud and clear. And I agreed with people who thought that last year was the year that Apple would’ve given the iPad more powerful software capabilities. The pricing structure of the Pros just seemed to suggest that they had something up their sleeves, otherwise there was no point in charging so much for the higher end iPads. I still think they have something planned. Maybe they knew that last year, given the component shortages and also the release of new MacBooks, it would be stupid to increase the capabilities of the iPad. Once they do that, Mac sales will for sure take a hit. Half the people I know who have iPads would never buy a Mac if an iPad could do everything they wanted it to.

I think we may see some interesting developments this summer and next for iPad.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I think Apple hears us loud and clear. And I agreed with people who thought that last year was the year that Apple would’ve given the iPad more powerful software capabilities. The pricing structure of the Pros just seemed to suggest that they had something up their sleeves, otherwise there was no point in charging so much for the higher end iPads. I still think they have something planned. Maybe they knew that last year, given the component shortages and also the release of new MacBooks, it would be stupid to increase the capabilities of the iPad. Once they do that, Mac sales will for sure take a hit. Half the people I know who have iPads would never buy a Mac if an iPad could do everything they wanted it to.

I think we may see some interesting developments this summer and next for iPad.
Unfortunately I am much less optimistic than that...

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
That's a mistake on their part

The Apple we all fondly recall wouldn't have hesitated to kill even very successful products to make a better landscape of choice for their customers.

(iPod Mini comes to mind)
A mistake for them or for their clients? I guess it makes sense financially for them. I think the potential market for the Mac is larger than for the iPad so they are not taking too many risks. Of course, it's sad for the iPad enthusiasts....

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

Apple already does what I think they ought to be doing - find ways to put a portable, midsize display, touchscreen device into the hands of more workers, students, etc.. Not software/media production pros (who think they're the only professional users in the world), but healthcare workers, restaurant servers, sales clerks, teachers, students, field service reps (plumbers, electricians, appliance repair, etc.), factory and warehouse floor, etc. Anywhere they still use paper and a clipboard or carry a larger, heavier, more cumbersome laptop around a workplace, or return to a desk/work station to access/input data. Anyplace where checklist/handwriting/touch input is as effective (or more effective) than keyboard/trackpad/mouse.

I only partially agree with this. I think the iPad pro can be quite a bit more than this, but as you correctly say, this would cannibalize the Mac business, especially if Apple wants to really "move the needle".... so Apple won't take too many risks and iPad pro will probably stay more or less what it is now, just a premium iPad...

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
A mistake for them or for their clients? I guess it makes sense financially for them. I think the potential market for the Mac is larger than for the iPad so they are not taking too many risks. Of course, it's sad for the iPad enthusiasts....

I think it’s just a mistake in general

I fully admit that this is from the perspective of holding them up to an ideal that they probably don’t meet much anymore.

We so badly need the next Apple to be growing right now.
This one is really tapped out on the innovation front

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

From a broader perspective, the overall market share for tablets vs. mobile and desktops (a category I'm assuming to include laptops in this data) is quite low -

https://gs.statcounter.com/platform-market-share/desktop-mobile-tablet

Mobile - 55%
Desktop - 42.5%
Tablet - 2.5%

You're senior mgmt. and looking at these numbers - where do you invest your resources? Tablets are big to us forum dwellers, but in the grand scheme of things they don't amount to much compared to other form factors. Phones are where the money is.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Add a top tier iPad as a Surface Book style device with MacOS and iPadOS modes - charge £3000 - £4000. A real pro device than can do it all and the price won't necessarily cannibalize Macbook or iPad sales by much as the average consumer wouldn't buy it. One can dream.....
7C4332AD-2C88-4BDA-97BF-47EC46252893.jpeg

Last edited:

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Unfortunately I am much less optimistic than that...

Why? We’re talking about an Apple that has completely redesigned their MacBook lineup to be responsive to the growing chorus of complaints over the years. That’s very unlike the Apple of old.

What they need to figure out is how to optimize sales so that a souped up iPad wouldn’t cannibalize Mac sales and lead to lower overall revenue for Mac + iPad combined. As it is, many people have both an iPad and a Mac. If an iPad is as powerful as a Mac, those same people would have no reason to get both. But, if Apple increased the price of the iPad on the higher end, that may increase the popularity of the iPad as a laptop replacement in a way that makes the overall pie bigger even if Mac sales shrink.

One solution may be to give Mac OS-like capabilities exclusively to the Pro lineup. That’s where I thought they were going last year since the higher end iPad Pros have pricing in line with MacBooks. And that’s where I still think they could be headed. The iPad Pros all have 8GB of RAM, which would help run MacOS flawlessly. And being able to run MacOS would be the ultimate “Pro” feature to distinguish the Pro lineup from the regular iPads.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
From a broader perspective, the overall market share for tablets vs. mobile and desktops (a category I'm assuming to include laptops in this data) is quite low -

Mobile - 55%
Desktop - 42.5%
Tablet - 2.5%

You're senior mgmt. and looking at these numbers - where do you invest your resources? Tablets are big to us forum dwellers, but in the grand scheme of things they don't amount to much compared to other form factors. Phones are where the money is.

Yeah, but that’s primarily because of the capabilities of these devices. If tablets were viable laptop replacements, the percentages for sure would change. And, Apple senior management isn’t just anyone. They know full well that they set trends. The number one complaint of iPad users is, “I wish iPadOS could do more.” There’s no way they don’t know this. And their hardware, even including accessories like the Magic Keyboard, seems to be geared towards eventually opening up iPadOS to more Mac-like capabilities. I think it’s just a matter of time.

Reactions: wnorris

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

Mobile - 55%
Desktop - 42.5%
Tablet - 2.5%

While I wouldn't use Statcounter to measure market share of devices (but rather how much these devices are used for browsing...) the issue with iPad is that it can hardly gain market share from the tablet market as most of the competition is below its price point and Apple is not interested in going any lower... So the only way to gain market share is to eat into the laptop market with the iPad pro.... But the issue is that it would be eating into the Mac market much more than into the Windows market. On the contrary, the Mac could gain a larger market share in the laptop/desktop market, where its share is still pretty low (and to be honestly I am surprised that over a year into the transition to Apple Silicon the market share has not increased at all...)

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Why? We’re talking about an Apple that has completely redesigned their MacBook lineup to be responsive to the growing chorus of complaints over the years. That’s very unlike the Apple of old.

What they need to figure out is how to optimize sales so that a souped up iPad wouldn’t cannibalize Mac sales and lead to lower overall revenue for Mac + iPad combined. As it is, many people have both an iPad and a Mac. If an iPad is as powerful as a Mac, those same people would have no reason to get both. But, if Apple increased the price of the iPad on the higher end, that may increase the popularity of the iPad as a laptop replacement in a way that makes the overall pie bigger even if Mac sales shrink.

One solution may be to give Mac OS-like capabilities exclusively to the Pro lineup. That’s where I thought they were going last year since the higher end iPad Pros have pricing in line with MacBooks. And that’s where I still think they could be headed. The iPad Pros all have 8GB of RAM, which would help run MacOS flawlessly. And being able to run MacOS would be the ultimate “Pro” feature to distinguish the Pro lineup from the regular iPads.
I see your point but I wouldn't draw conclusions for iPad from the Mac transition. It was not the first time that Apple made such a transition and this time is to their own chips, so it make total sense....
As I said earlier today, Apple strategy with iPad pro has been improving hardware (last thing was miniled) to increase the price and the reason why they are moving at glacial pace on software is precisely what I said, software is too risky, giving their top of the line Mac capabilities would not eat into Android tablet competition, and not even much into Windows either, but rather into Mac "competition". Who is going to buy a $3000 iPad pro Max with a 15in screen 16GB RAM or more etc (or even a $2000 12.9in one with 16GB and M1)? Not Android users, not many Windows users, but mainly Apple users instead of Macs...
That's not their strategy, their strategy is integrating Macs and iPads in a way that you not only want to buy both, but you want to but the larger iPad pro with the expensive Magic Keyboard, instead of a base iPad only....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.