Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
My question is this: With the M1 IPPs now, how hard truly would it be to be able to dual boot both iPadOS and MacOS? I am no computer engineer by any means, but they essentially have the same exact internals. I don't think this would be a huge thing.

These machines would truly be an incredible device, with the ability to get serious work done and also be your go-to for media consumption and light work able to be done on iPadOS.

I know for a fact that I would be THE first one in line for something like this. There are definitely things to consider here but realistically, how amazing would that device be? The ultimate Apple ecosystem experience. You could download things from your macOS Desktop, and open them via iCloud on iPadOS on the same exact device.

Has anyone brought this up before? This is what I have been waiting on. I primarily use iPadOS 75% of the time, but for the 25% of the time I need a desktop, it would be there. Apple may require peripherals like a magic keyboard for macOS to be running since they refuse touch input to be integrated (I don't necessarily blame them) but this would absolutely check every box I could ask for in any device. Portability, real work environment, and the ultimate media consumption machine. I would use the living h*ll out of it.

Anyone else? Thoughts? I realize this would cannibalize Macs, but my lord this could be the perfect use case for 90% of people who need a computer. This could revolutionize computers in everyway.
This has already been discussed at length, especially in the iPad as laptop replacement thread... It's precisely because too many people would use this solution instead of buying a Mac AND and iPad, that Apple will never do it.
Having said that, I am not convinced about the media consumption part... A Mac can let you consume media just as well or better than an iPad and even the 11in pro with Magic Keyboard is not that much lighter than a Macbook air (I bet the M2 Macbook will be quite a bit lighter).
For me the real advantages of a iPad are essentially the pencil (if you need it), portrait mode and cellular. Anything else the Mac can do pretty well (personally even on a couch I prefer a device with a keyboard). I don't even care so much about touch.
It's funny how all this revolution is already available on Windows. The issue with Windows, not counting the fanboy hate for the OS, is X86 (heat/noise/battery life, especially in very compact devices). I don't count touch optimization as an issue since the trackpad is fine with me.
I would kill for an iPad pro 11 that could run Windows, even Windows on ARM, with the same battery life and no fan. Surface pro X 11, with improved keyboard (magic style). Ipad pro body and battery life, fanless, fast, Windows on ARM. While more likely than an iPad pro with MacOS, I think it's still very unlikely in the next few years...

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
I know it's a strange way to frame the question, but it's deliberate.
Selling more iPad units is easy... lower the price and more people will buy them (but revenue likely goes down).
Just asking "what should Apple do?" is just going to bring comments to turn it into a keyboard-less Mac (have it run macOS).

So what can Apple do to the iPad to keep it a compelling product for everyone from 2 year olds to 99 year olds AND keep interest up? How can they keep getting people to upgrade?

I ask because it's not an easy question. I usually have a quick answer for what they can do to their other product lines, but I'm pretty stumped on iPad. iPhone, they can just keep putting in better cameras, a faster processor, and have a cosmetic change every 3 years. Does that work for iPad? Not as many people use it as their camera. It's plenty fast for the games that are out... anyone who wants more AAA-level games than a current iPad Pro can handle likely has a console or games on PC. The cosmetic changes likely help.... but that's about as far as my guesses go.

I think this question is better than "what should Apple do to the iPad?" because it's more likely to answer what they *will* do.
Tim? Is that you??

Reactions: MisterK

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
My question is this: With the M1 IPPs now, how hard truly would it be to be able to dual boot both iPadOS and MacOS? I am no computer engineer by any means, but they essentially have the same exact internals. I don't think this would be a huge thing.
I would kill for an iPad pro 11 that could run Windows, even Windows on ARM, with the same battery life and no fan. Surface pro X 11, with improved keyboard (magic style). Ipad pro body and battery life, fanless, fast, Windows on ARM. While more likely than an iPad pro with MacOS, I think it's still very unlikely in the next few years...
There is a much better solution for both of these requests than dual booting. The M1 supports the same virtualization on the iPad Pro as it does on Apple silicon Macs—it’s just disabled. Apple has a whole virtualization API on macOS to support virtual macOS guests. And obviously you can run Windows 11 and Arm Linux guest OSes on the M1 too. Porting the virtualization APIs to iPadOS should be pretty easy. They would probably need to re-add virtual memory swap like in macOS and allow at least anything running in the VM unlimited background multi-tasking.

The problem isn’t a technical one, it is purely what Apple wants from a marketing stance.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
There is a much better solution for both of these requests than dual booting. The M1 supports the same virtualization on the iPad Pro as it does on Apple silicon Macs—it’s just disabled. Apple has a whole virtualization API on macOS to support virtual macOS guests. And obviously you can run Windows 11 and Arm Linux guest OSes on the M1 too. Porting the virtualization APIs to iPadOS should be pretty easy. They would probably need to re-add virtual memory swap like in macOS and allow at least anything running in the VM unlimited background multi-tasking.

The problem isn’t a technical one, it is purely what Apple wants from a marketing stance.
Writing from a W11 virtual machine running on a M1 mini, I think virtualisation of Windows on only 8GB RAM is tight (dual boot has disadvantages but at least it lets you use all the resources...). Having said that, even if Parallel was given the possibility of making an iPad app (running only on M1 or above), it would be strange if it virtualised Windows, but not Mac. Having said that I'd be totally fine with that and it would push me to buy a 16GB M1 iPad. But Apple won't allow it...

XIO[-]OIX

Suspended
Feb 1, 2022
2. Get more developers on board for Pro apps. I personally don't think there is much wrong with iPad OS at the minute and I use mine for CAD, LiDAR Scanning, Photography and a whole lot of other high-end stuff. Whatn we need is software that takes advantage of the power: Autodesk Fusion 360, AutoCAD, Solidworks, Blender etc. Apple need to lead the charge and bring Final Cut to the iPad as well as a new version of Aperture (because Lightroom is rubbish)

Hey, can you reccoment me a great LiDAR Scanning app / some cad recomendations you use? I’m an Architect.
BTW put Archicad up there!

ps. Aperture is not coming back. Cries in Terabytes of Aperture Library Data…

macdaddy43

macrumors member
May 5, 2021
Writing from a W11 virtual machine running on a M1 mini, I think virtualisation of Windows on only 8GB RAM is tight (dual boot has disadvantages but at least it lets you use all the resources...). Having said that, even if Parallel was given the possibility of making an iPad app (running only on M1 or above), it would be strange if it virtualised Windows, but not Mac. Having said that I'd be totally fine with that and it would push me to buy a 16GB M1 iPad. But Apple won't allow it...
I think dual-booting both iPadOS and macOS would be the real win here. And being able to run a VM for W11 would be icing on the cake. I don't think I am going to hold my breath tho...

That would simply be one of the best machines you could own. The flexibility would be absolutely unmatched.

XIO[-]OIX

Suspended
Feb 1, 2022
I think dual-booting both iPadOS and macOS would be the real win here. And being able to run a VM for W11 would be icing on the cake. I don't think I am going to hold my breath tho...

That would simply be one of the best machines you could own. The flexibility would be absolutely unmatched.

Use JumpDesktop, like me. Its stunningly great ?

(btw. For VM’s you have UTM, but you are limited to ARM software, so JumpDesktop works better. + you have added expandibility of your iPad capabilities with custom hardware equipement - by expanding your Windows / Mac Computer with it)

Last edited:

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
If they want to increase iPad revenue and are not worried about cannibalizing Mac sales then an iPad Pro model that can bootcamp into MacOS (requiring magic keyboard or external keyboard/mouse) would certainly boost sales (and justify the ridiculously untapped hardware in iPadPro). Just to be clear - I am NOT suggesting porting MacOS to touch device - when booted into MacOS it would be keyboard/mouse driven like MacBook. There is zero reason this can't be done technically very easily. Alot of folks would jump at the chance to carry one device - upgrade the display to 14" would be icing on the cake.

Reactions: macdaddy43

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
Use JumpDesktop, like me. Its stunningly great ?

(btw. For VM’s you have UTM, but you are limited to ARM software, so JumpDesktop works better. + you have added expandibility of your iPad capabilities with custom hardware equipement - by expanding your Windows / Mac Computer with it)
I use Jump on my iPadPro to control my Mac mini for think like music library upkeep and other things that iPadOS can't do easily. It's a very good solution and for short periods is perfectly fine but its still a work around.

XIO[-]OIX

Suspended
Feb 1, 2022
I use Jump on my iPadPro to control my Mac mini for think like music library upkeep and other things that iPadOS can't do easily. It's a very good solution and for short periods is perfectly fine but its still a work around.
I don’t see it like that at all.
To me, its an opportunity. Not a workaround.

RadioHedgeFund

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2018
Hey, can you reccoment me a great LiDAR Scanning app / some cad recomendations you use? I’m an Architect.

ps. Aperture is not coming back. Cries in Terabytes of Aperture Librar

ps. Aperture is not coming back. Cries in Terabytes of Aperture Library Data…
I use:

- Scaniverse for Lidar scanning. Its completely free, has no ads and works really well. I have scanned areas of up to 100m^2 with it and it retains all geometry. Note that there is a big difference between the resolution of Lidar and that of the FaceID scanner. I use Capture by Standard Cyborg to scan smaller objects (statues etc) as the detail is far higher.

- Shapr3D as my CAD option. This is expensive for the average user but I guess a few hundred isn't so bad if you are a larger firm. I get a free sub as I work in higher education. This can be used to trim down mesh files but only with a cutting plane to split. It is great for technical drawing though and outputs to DXF for laser cutting.

- Concepts for sketching/note taking/whiteboarding ideas and projects. It works well for free but the $13 IAP isn't too pricey for what it does. Can also be used for vectors and laser cutting.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Have you tried UTM?
No, but from what I have seen online, it runs very poorly on 4/6GB RAM devices (and I have no M1 iPad, but I don't expect it to run well there either) and also I try to avoid jailbreaking devices (and I have tried Altstore too and it's a mess, not a option for me).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.