Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rollershapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Hey everybody at MacRumors! Well In 3 weeks im going to vacation to boston, and im driving so ill be going through a lot of beautiful places. On the way back im going through canada and Im going to Niagra Falls. So Im thinking about getting a digital camera to take with me. So I have about a $150-$200 budget just for a simple point and shoot camera. So does anyone have any suggestions on what camera to get? Anyones that you use and are happy with that you would recommend?

Thanks,
Casey

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
canon SD series is great or the nikon coolpix(c). I would suggest at least 5 megapixels but 6 would be better...
search and there's tons of thread on P&S cameras.

Rollershapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
Wisconsin
canon SD series is great or the nikon coolpix(c). I would suggest at least 5 megapixels but 6 would be better...
search and there's tons of thread on P&S cameras.
Well I've seen some decent 8 Megapixels for $200. and I've seen some 7MP ones for around $150...

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
I have a Sony and have always loved sony cameras- rechargeable battery packs work great, memory stick prices have dropped drastically, etc. You can get a closeout Sony for less than $150 right now that is a 6mp camera, then add a $40 memory stick and you are set. I prefer sony memory stick cards, but there are off brand memory sticks that are even cheaper. Sony have good lens and very good software to navigate through on the camera. I think the sony is the most intuitive camera to navigate-

You will want to get the most optical zoom that you can afford- at least 3x optical...I wouldn't care about digital zoom as it is not usually good quality to use in most instances. I actually turn off my digital zoom so I get better quality pics of the kids.

I actually saw a DSC W50 which is the ultra compact 6mp sony that I have for around $165 on clearance at Staples or Sears recently.

Sony has the ultra compact line like the DSC W50 and then there is another line that is just compact size which are still small but a little thicker.

Rollershapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Could someone explain to me why Canon are superior to all the rest? Right now im leaning towards a Kodak, but I dont want make a mistake.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
Kodak digital

I have a Kodak 2 megapixel camera with a 3x optical zoom. I do NOT use the digital zoom. The camera takes GREAT pictures. There is so much misconception that a 6 MP camera takes better pictures than a 2 MP camera. That just is not so. The more MP you have, the larger picture you can print. But if you only print 5 X 7 pictures, a 2 MP camera is great. But, prices of 4 and 5 MP have come down a lot. Obviously, an optical zoom of 6x is better than a 3x.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Landscape. The only camera I see in that price range with at least 28mm wide is the Fujifilm Finepix E510.

It also has aperture and shutter priority, and manual focus so it looks pretty cool.

What it doesn't have is image stabilization, but I'd rather get the 28mm.

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
Canon P&S cameras are really, really good. We run all Canon videocameras (4) and have one little P&S that been good for about 3 years and the pictures are still great.

That said, I use a Nikon dSLR.

islandman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
I'd definitely go for a Canon SD series. I have used the SD600 and I love it. I still have my old S400 that I'm going to upgrade soon. I'm going to get the SD1000. :)

designimbus

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2007
Go with a Canon

I would stay away from Kodaks personally. They are nowhere near the quality Canon offers. It is true that you might spend a bit more for a Canon but you get a much better camera with a better lens and better build quality. If you are just looking for a point and shoot, I would look at the SD series. But, if you would like some added features and more advanced controls you should look into the A series from canon. Many of them offer the same advanced controls found on SLRs.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
If size isn't a huge issue I'd go with the Canon a95. I had it for a couple years and it takes great pictures. You can also adds lenses to it if you want to get more advanced without getting a new camera.

It can be had for $220 on Amazon and probably cheaper on eBay.

Rollershapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Thanks for all the replys guys! Ok so right now im wondering if the view finder is absolutely nessesary? One of the cameras I am looking at is a Kodak C875, For $175 from buy.com It has all the features you guys have been discribing about canons. Its got 5x optical zoom, image stalization ect...
So im gonna check into the Canon A series. I definitily want shutter speed option, in any camera I chose. I dont know about a wide lense or not. Do I need it? Its(camera) just for general picture taking, and a little lanscape. So anyone have any other cameras with those features, and price range they could suggest? Links? Can someone back me up about the Kodak? Is it decent for what I need?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Looking at dpreview's conclusion about that Kodak, it seems it suffers from the same defect why I desisted from buying the V705: too much compression.

5 mpix is enough. Don't go preferring a camera just because it has more than this.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
actually just because of this thread i checked bestbuy s website and the sd1000 is going for 249 CAD, i am going to go get one as soon as im done work at 3

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The A630 is also on sale this week for 20 CAD more, and it's a better camera. It comes with a free 2GB card.

The SD1000 is 279.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.