Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Your link is bestbuy.com, so it must be 249 USD.

In bestbuy.ca, the SD1000 is 279 CAD.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
Your link is bestbuy.com, so it must be 249 USD.

In bestbuy.ca, the SD1000 is 279 CAD.

LOL ohh man can t belive i did that,,, haha you are right.. okay well i m still goign to get it... or the one you recommended i ll take aloot at it.. thx fo rthe help

Rollershapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Honestly, this is your own thread, so maybe read it?

Nearly everyone has advised AGAINST Kodak (I had one as well - horrible quality). Go for the Canon.

Haha I have been reading it. The only reason I ask is because, the Kodak has 10x optical zoom, and in the user pictures section the quality of the pictures seemed pretty good.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I think anyone shopping for a digital point-and-shoot should read this:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/compactcamerahighiso/

It's yet another reason why people need to think about the megapixel myth - it can be an issue even with dSLRs, but it's a bigger deal with compact digitals.

Before I bought my Nikon dSLR, I had a Canon Powershoot point and shoot. I don't think you can go wrong buying that Canon you've indicated.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
i recently got one after a week of researching and decided that the fujifilm finepix f20 was the best buy for me. got it at like 200 at sams if i remember.

heres a link for a review

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0607/06071301fujifilmf20.asp

and here is one from the site

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital/lineup/f20/index.html

however, the f30 is a better camera in some senses but costs more. i heard depending on where you are you can get it cheaper than what i got for mine

just my opinion and it works great for me

BlackDan

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2004
Belgium
Don't wanna hijack this thread, but I can't make up my mind.

Which one should I get:
- Canon Ixus 70
- Nikon s200
- Nikon s500

Thanks guys. (I'm a bit of a Nikon fanboy, but a friend has the ixus 40 and that's a really great cam, so I definitely wanna consider canon for a p&s as well, although this makes the decision even more difficult)

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
ixus 70 is the same sd 1000 i think tahst teh one igot today, i went for a family dinner and so far im loving it i ll let yu guys know more when i find more about it...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Fuji sensors are great.

i recently got one after a week of researching and decided that the fujifilm finepix f20 was the best buy for me. got it at like 200 at sams if i remember.

Yep, I'd go for a Fuji F30 if you can find it. If you need to go cheaper, go for an Fuji F20 (if you can still find it at stores).

The only other reason to get a non-Fuji is if you're desperate for image stabilization (IS), or if you want a wide-angle lens that goes to 28 mm. Of course, instead of IS, you could just shoot at a higher ISO, which would produce better results in some situations (eg: when people are moving in a dark-lit room, and IS isn't going to help). It's not like the Fuji F30 produces horrible results at high ISO. I'd definitely take advantage.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
You have to decide whether you want the increased portability of the super-compacts, the feature-richness of the somewhat larger P&S's, or the zoom of the significantly-larger "super-zooms." I have the most experience with the super-compacts, which I'll describe here.

I am the proud owner of both the Canon SD700IS (which is somewhat better than the newer 800IS, see reviews) and the Fuji F30. For low-light no-flash photography, as well as candids that require quick-release (think babies) the F30 is better than anything else on the market. It does like to ramp up to higher ISO's, however, so it requires some tweaking there to prevent an overly water-color image. However, for outdoor photography, I've always loved the Canons. The color is just vibrant and makes for great prints. One of the best features, which you really don't see on too many cameras other than the canons, is the ability to stitch together photos to make panoramas, which can then be turned into beautiful large prints or quicktime-VR files (really cool, if you've had a chance to play around). I've gotten some stunning panoramas from mountain-tops - you can get 180 degrees or more, which is not possible with even the best panoramic camera. For Niagara falls, I'd get the Canon SD700IS (or 800IS if the wide angle is worth more to you than barrel distortion).

Dave

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Ok everybody, right now im torn between a Canon A630 here And a Kodak EasyShare Z612 here So what do you guys think?

Also check out the newer A570 IS, which is in that price range (but the sensor is smaller).

Besides the stabilization, ISO goes up to 1600 vs 800 for the others.

The Kodak goes to 800 only at 1 megapixel.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Landscape. The only camera I see in that price range with at least 28mm wide is the Fujifilm Finepix E510.

It also has aperture and shutter priority, and manual focus so it looks pretty cool.

What it doesn't have is image stabilization, but I'd rather get the 28mm.

It is not SuperCCD :(

heyisa

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
Kansas
small is important

be sure to get something small and compact that will fit in your pocket. If a camera is to big to take anywhere, then i'll never use it. Fast shutter speed is also a good consideration to cut down on blur.

Rollershapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Ok Thanks for the replys everybody! So right now im deffinitly leaning towards a Canon A630, or 570. But I've also heard really good things about Fuji Cameras, So how does the Fuji Finepix S700 compare to the A630 and 570? The S700 has 10x optical zoom, and IS mode. Its a little larger, DSLR type of camera but thats ok because im really interested in getting into photography anyways and that way I can upgrade the lense if I need to. One of the things I like about the Canon is its on camera editing. I really like the color accent feature, and the manual mode. Does the Fuji have similar features to this? The only editing software I'll be useing is iPhoto, and Gimp with either camera I chose.

Thanks Everyone for the help so far! Keep it up!

Rollershapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Ok Thanks for the replys everybody! So right now im deffinitly leaning towards a Canon A630, or 570. But I've also heard really good things about Fuji Cameras, So how does the Fuji Finepix S700 compare to the A630 and 570? The S700 has 10x optical zoom, and IS mode. Its a little larger, DSLR type of camera but thats ok because im really interested in getting into photography anyways and that way I can upgrade the lense if I need to. One of the things I like about the Canon is its on camera editing. I really like the color accent feature, and the manual mode. Does the Fuji have similar features to this? The only editing software I'll be useing is iPhoto, and Gimp with either camera I chose.

Thanks Everyone for the help so far! Keep it up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.