Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rollershapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Please guys I need help here deciding between the Canon A630 and Fuji S700. Im strongly leaning towards the Fuji right now. But I dont want to make the wrong decision! Help!

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Well, you can't go wrong with a canon digital camera. I wish I could say something about the fujifilm but if I did know something it would just be from reading online reviews which you can do also. I won't comment on them since I don't have any experience with them. That said, I've had 3 canon digital cameras. They have been THE MOST reliable for great, clear pictures out of any other brand on the market. I've compared them to Nikon, Kodak, HP, and a few others taken at the same place and same time and it seems like the canon always had a better picture.

On the A630, I like the flip screen feature. I use that a lot when either taken a picture of myself with someone, or just anything thats in a difficult location.

Another great camera is the Canon S3 IS. I can't promise anything with this website, but the lowest price on the internet right now. Definatly worth the jump in price.
http://www.wisetronics.com/product-p/cnpss3is.htm&click%3D19395

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Think about it this way: the 2 Canons are deeply discounted, while the discount on the S700 is not great.

But somebody posted an address and a link to a site with a $50 rebate form for the S700 in the dpreview's Fuji forum (no news whether this is legit).

And there's definitely a $50 rebate on the S6000, which would cost a bit more, but has 28mm and zoom and focus rings (although one of the rings is "by wire").

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Please guys I need help here deciding between the Canon A630 and Fuji S700. Im strongly leaning towards the Fuji right now. But I dont want to make the wrong decision! Help!

Once you decide on the camera you think is best, buy it from a place with a good return policy. You are never 100% sure that it's the camera for you until you get a chance to take some pictures with it under different conditions.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Hope you don't mind another thread hijack! I didn't think this warranted another thread.

I'm getting closer to my Spain and Italy trip next month and have decided that I'd rather not take haul the D50 around - thus I'm in the market for a small P&S. The two I'm looking at are the Nikon s50 for $300, or the Sony t100 for $400. Opinions on those or another camera in that price / size range?

Thanks!

[EDIT] I am also looking for other options in the $300-400 price range, not just choosing between the s50 or t100.

Clarence

macrumors regular

I own an Cannon Power Shot a530 and a fuji f650. I HATE the cannon. Horrible battery life, tinylcd (compared to the fuji) useless viewfinder, and ultra sensitive to even the tinyest hand shake or vibration. Use zoom much? forget it. To get a clear picture at 30-40 feet is near impossible.

taken with the cannon last weekend, and these were the "best" of the worst, which I deleted. More examples on my iWeb site.

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
One thing to keep in mind is the user interface on cameras- find someplace where you can try out both and see how you like them. The Sony user interface has always been easy for me to navigate and use. The button position and size of camera is important too- try them out, see how they fit your hands, etc. That can swing a decision.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Hope you don't mind another thread hijack! I didn't think this warranted another thread.

I'm getting closer to my Spain and Italy trip next month and have decided that I'd rather not take haul the D50 around - thus I'm in the market for a small P&S. The two I'm looking at are the Nikon s50 for $300, or the Sony t100 for $400. Opinions on those or another camera in that price / size range?

Thanks!

[EDIT] I am also looking for other options in the $300-400 price range, not just choosing between the s50 or t100.

I wouldn't go for a shirt pocketable camera because of PQ. Look for a bit bigger camera that you can put in your loose pants' pocket. This is normally the case for Canon's A series.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
No mention of SDHC in the S700 spec sheet. It only says "SD", 2GB (besides xD).
The A630 and A570 IS support SDHC

None shoot RAW. The relatively new alternatives in the $200 price range for RAW are the Olympus SP-320 and SP-510 UZ (neither is supported by Aperture, so you'll have to look at what comes with it or other 3rd party software). Both have their advantages, but the cheaper 320 seems the more serious choice (bigger sensor, faster shutter speed, bulb), although the 510 accepts external flash.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Not too confident about those Olympus, specially the 510.
Look also at the Fujifilm E900 which goes for about the same price (note that because of xD, writing one RAW frame takes about 7 seconds).

Not sure if they are better than the other cameras under consideration which don't have RAW.

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2005
I may be a little to late to voice my opinion... The Kodak is good but it eats batteries. I would recommend a PowerShot or a Nikon P&S.

Good Luck

Rollershapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Well last weekend I used my friends Powershot A400 3 megapixel 2.2 optical zoom camera and i loved it, so im pretty postive im going with the canon. Heres 2 pictures from the A400 from last weekend:
IMG_3771-1.jpg

IMG_3691.jpg

Rollershapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Yeah, NickD. I've been lurking around the fuji forums and the canon forums on dpreview, and they both seem like pretty good companys but i think im going to go with the canon just for the easy navigation and OS type thing(or whatever you call it on a camera)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.