Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
So while many of us would want MacOS, MacOS in a VM or MacOS when connected to an external display, that's not likely to happen. I'm of the opinion that iPadOS is fine, but it needs a few things added to it.

Full desktop-class browser
The browser now identifies as a desktop browser to sites, which is much better, but its not 100% a desktop browser. Some things don't work, and even for the entry level iPad, this is a very basic and essential must. Perhaps better pointer precision for web apps. Personally, I'd like also to be able to see full width pages in portrait orientation, something that iirc the iPad used to be able to do.

Improvements to Files
I feel this needs a giant overhaul. I don't think we need access to system files or anything like that. But zips need to work perfectly, you should be able to set default apps for opening certain filetypes, we need a disk utility to format external media, proper progress bars, rename extensions, see the local network, copy music and ringtones, copy or back up all media to external drives/Gdrive/SMB, ability to access photos from the Files app, all apps should be able to access File and everything it connects to (external media, Google drive, SMB servers) etc.

Better multitasking
We don't necessarily need windows on the iPad, but we need a better way of switching between apps and also not having them close or stop operations if we do. The ability to minimize basically. One could argue this would affect battery life, but I'm talking about a Pro iPad that has "all-day" battery. If a Mac with the same chip can manage, the iPad can too.

Pro apps
Many sources have indicated that these are coming at WWDC, which is fantastic. I just hope they are at feature parity with the desktop - although its hard to picture that, given how there isn't really a file system, so how would you install plugins for fcpx or logic? I'm also hoping that Thunderbolt means the iPad can work off external drives for final cut, because otherwise, it becomes far more trouble than its worth.

Better use of external displays
Can't just be mirroring. Has to extend, at least for some apps that can use it, or they introduce some version of spaces, like on Mac. And of course, as a customizable display for Final Cut.

What would you guys like to see?

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Solid thoughts here, I’d agree with all of them.

One of my biggest bug bears with iPad is the typing situation. External keyboard is great, but not always practical. It’s only easy to type on the big onscreen keyboard in certain situations, and as much as I want the small keyboard and or scribble to be workable alternatives, they’re not really suited to writing long pieces.

I would very much like the iPhone keyboard to be able to be used to input to the iPad, in some way. Similar I suppose to the way it’s able to be used with Apple TV.

This, for example, would have been much quicker and easier to type using my phone and sending it to the iPad. I admit I could have handed off the website to the phone, typed the reply and then handed it back, but thats almost the same hassle as putting myself into a more suitable position to type on the iPad itself, which I did.. I was lying on the bed. Rather have lazily picked up my phone and typed on the with it appearing in the text field here.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016

One of my biggest bug bears with iPad is the typing situation. External keyboard is great, but not always practical. It’s only easy to type on the big onscreen keyboard in certain situations, and as much as I want the small keyboard and or scribble to be workable alternatives, they’re not really suited to writing long pieces.

I would very much like the iPhone keyboard to be able to be used to input to the iPad, in some way. Similar I suppose to the way it’s able to be used with Apple TV.

This, for example, would have been much quicker and easier to type using my phone and sending it to the iPad. I admit I could have handed off the website to the phone, typed the reply and then handed it back, but thats almost the same hassle as putting myself into a more suitable position to type on the iPad itself, which I did.. I was lying on the bed. Rather have lazily picked up my phone and typed on the with it appearing in the text field here.

You could try the small keyboard on your iPad - came as an option with iOS 14 I believe. Or just dictate the post.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
You've covered it really. Personally, I am especially interested in proper external display port and better multitasking. I either of those come true I'll definitely upgrade. Otherwise, my 2018 12.9 iPad Pro will do just fine.

mr_jomo

Cancelled
Dec 9, 2018
So while many of us would want MacOS, MacOS in a VM or MacOS when connected to an external display, that's not likely to happen. I'm of the opinion that iPadOS is fine, but it needs a few things added to it.

The browser now identifies as a desktop browser to sites, which is much better, but its not 100% a desktop browser. Some things don't work, and even for the entry level iPad, this is a very basic and essential must. Perhaps better pointer precision for web apps. Personally, I'd like also to be able to see full width pages in portrait orientation, something that iirc the iPad used to be able to do.

Improvements to Files
I feel this needs a giant overhaul. I don't think we need access to system files or anything like that. But zips need to work perfectly, you should be able to set default apps for opening certain filetypes, we need a disk utility to format external media, proper progress bars, rename extensions, see the local network, copy music and ringtones, copy or back up all media to external drives/Gdrive/SMB, ability to access photos from the Files app, all apps should be able to access File and everything it connects to (external media, Google drive, SMB servers) etc.

Better multitasking
We don't necessarily need windows on the iPad, but we need a better way of switching between apps and also not having them close or stop operations if we do. The ability to minimize basically. One could argue this would affect battery life, but I'm talking about a Pro iPad that has "all-day" battery. If a Mac with the same chip can manage, the iPad can too.

Pro apps
Many sources have indicated that these are coming at WWDC, which is fantastic. I just hope they are at feature parity with the desktop - although its hard to picture that, given how there isn't really a file system, so how would you install plugins for fcpx or logic? I'm also hoping that Thunderbolt means the iPad can work off external drives for final cut, because otherwise, it becomes far more trouble than its worth.

Can't just be mirroring. Has to extend, at least for some apps that can use it, or they introduce some version of spaces, like on Mac. And of course, as a customizable display for Final Cut.

That's not a bad starter list - if I may add just a single macOS-related thought?

I agree Apple will not open the iPad Pro to running full macOS in any form what so ever, but realistic running macOS apps in general on the iPad Pro shouldn't be a bridge too far.

While you have a point regarding the current file app's limitations - for instance for plugsins etc. - that could certainly be solved.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010

Have you tried the Google keyboard? I'm really fast with swiping on an iPhone sized keyboard, but the Gboard can become iPhone-sized on the iPad. It's my preferred keyboard on the iPad.

Great list to start with I’d say. I’d love to see the Mac Preview app make it to iPhone.
Definitely, the Preview app is something I use all the time on Mac! An all-in-one utility to view images, sign documents, mark up etc. on iPad would be great. I would add "scanning" in that app vs. Notes too.

That's not a bad starter list - if I may add just a single macOS-related thought?

I agree Apple will not open the iPad Pro to running full macOS in any form what so ever, but realistic running macOS apps in general on the iPad Pro shouldn't be a bridge too far.

While you have a point regarding the current file app's limitations - for instance for plugsins etc. - that could certainly be solved.

That would be really interesting, but how would control work? Those apps would be designed primarily for mouse and KB input. I suppose the same could be said for iOS apps on Mac though.

Ability to attach any port compatible external drive and format said drive etc.

Ability to pair Apple Watch to the iPad
I don't get why they didn't add Watch functionality from the start, or Health. For me as well as my partner we prefer to do most things from our iPads.

Also agree about the HDs. It's such a half measure to allow external drives, but not format them. The USB-C port has meant that you can adapt almost anything to it, and now with Thunderbolt, any modern drive can be attached.

Reactions: boston04and07

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
I am going to list what I want in terms of percentage chance we'll get them:

1. Ability to dual boot to Big Sur with mouse/keyboard - 0%
2. Ability to run MacOS apps in some kind of container within iPadOS - 5%
3. Free floating windows on iPadsOS - 10%
4. External webcam support - 15%
5. Feature parity version of Logic Pro / Xcode for iPad - 20%
6. Music app parity with MacOS (able to manage iTunes libraries including ALAC like Mac) - 30%
7. Files app able to format external drives - 35%
8. File app able to download entire folders from iCloud Drive - 35%
9. True universal Photos app - 40%
10. Non-feature party version of Logic Pro / Xcode for iPad - 50%
11. Support for multiple user accounts - 60%
12. Final Cut Pro for iPad - 70%
13. Multitasking improvements - 75%
14. External display improvements - 80%
15. Expanded home screen widget support (anywhere on home screen) - 95%

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
You could try the small keyboard on your iPad - came as an option with iOS 14 I believe. Or just dictate the post.
Not very practical still on my 12.9 I have found. Ok for quick stuff. Dictation is not always possible

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Have you tried the Google keyboard? I'm really fast with swiping on an iPhone sized keyboard, but the Gboard can become iPhone-sized on the iPad. It's my preferred keyboard on the iPad.

Definitely, the Preview app is something I use all the time on Mac! An all-in-one utility to view images, sign documents, mark up etc. on iPad would be great. I would add "scanning" in that app vs. Notes too.

That would be really interesting, but how would control work? Those apps would be designed primarily for mouse and KB input. I suppose the same could be said for iOS apps on Mac though.

I don't get why they didn't add Watch functionality from the start, or Health. For me as well as my partner we prefer to do most things from our iPads.

Also agree about the HDs. It's such a half measure to allow external drives, but not format them. The USB-C port has meant that you can adapt almost anything to it, and now with Thunderbolt, any modern drive can be attached.
No way I would ever use 3rd party keyboards - of all things!

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010

6. Music app parity with MacOS (able to manage iTunes libraries including ALAC like Mac) - 30%
What’s a true universal photos app?

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010

Agree with most of these. Is there a demand for external webcams? I think there's a > 90% chance of Final Cut at WWDC, but feature parity... not too sure about that. I can only hope that multitasking has a 75% chance of improving!

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Feature parity - same executable.
Is it not the same? Are there different editing functions? I don’t really use it except for the photo roll - I use lightroom. This has feature parity. Executable? You sound like a windows person!

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
You can scan and mark up directly from the files app- if you didn’t know. It’s very practical and saves having to use multiple apps.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006

Improvements to Files

Better multitasking

Pro apps

This is a great list. A lot of people are also clamoring for multi-user support, but for my use case I am the only one using my iPad so it doesn't apply to me. One other small, but really annoying thing to me is the snap to grids for icons and widgets. Please allow me to place things wherever I want!

Reactions: loybond

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
I would love to use an external monitor with my iPad similar to clamshell mode on my MacBook. I think this is super feasible for them to integrate especially now that the 2021 Pros have TB capability for docks and so on. if I could just have a single cable connected to a monitor and maybe a dock then I would be super happy. Other than that I would like to see expanded layout options for widgets, a better and more thorough Files app, and while not iPadOS specific I would love a version of FCP.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
I would love to use an external monitor with my iPad similar to clamshell mode on my MacBook. I think this is super feasible for them to integrate especially now that the 2021 Pros have TB capability for docks and so on. if I could just have a single cable connected to a monitor and maybe a dock then I would be super happy. Other than that I would like to see expanded layout options for widgets, a better and more thorough Files app, and while not iPadOS specific I would love a version of FCP.
Me too! When I'm working I want a larger screen. How do you envision that working? Like a widescreen version of the iPad home screen, and the iPad mirrors the widescreen the way Macs do?

AlexanderUK

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2020
I would like 3rd party web browsers to be allowed to actually be proper third party browsers. As in not have to use Safari's WebView with a crippled JavaScript engine and be able to access API's and content blockers the same way Safari can in iOS. Maybe that way when Apple advertises the iPad as perfect for "creatives", Web Designer / Developers like me could consider looking at it for cross browser testing (that way we might start developing quality apps and shift focus away from Mac only).

Oh yea, and it's 2021. The fact iPadOS Safari doesn't come with developer tools really is an insult. The web is open source, yet if you own a tablet, you literally have to struggle with limited (paid) tools to get a limited peek at what should be open to the public.

thefourthpope

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
The one thing I really want — support for at least one app window on one additional monitor — is the thing I doubt we’ll get.

I think it will pull too directly from the MacBook and Mini customer base.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I'm not going to get this but here is what it will take for me to drop the amount of money they're asking for for an iPad Pro:

1. Universal Mac/iPad apps
2. Fully developed file system
3. Ability to import and export files from native apple apps (i.e. music & tv app)
4. Ability to edit metadata for music, video, and documents.
5. Real multitasking
6. Full window customization. I want to be able to have 3-4 apps in the foreground and choose how large each window is.
7. Full printer support
8. Full external monitor support. Preferably 2 monitors, but I'd settle for just extended mode in 1 monitor.

Easiest way to do this? MacOS. Best way to do this? Full rewrite of iPadOS. This thing is so powerful and versatile that the OS should no longer be an enlarged version of iOS.

Reactions: loybond and lympero
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.